• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
honestly dont think were getting any of the "safe picks" everyone is going on about

starting to really think chars like doomguy, dante, waddle dee, geno, etc arent going to be in

were probs gonna get odd balls that a few ppl talk about but no one bets on like nightmare or whoever else

After the last pass where the ONLY big name ppl talked about (banjo) got in with the other 4 being oddballs most the community didnt talk about I wont be shocked if that continues here. The pass started with min min afterall LOL

As time goes on the more i doubt all these "safe picks" just cause historically so far that hasnt been the case at all other than banjo. We might get one but to think the entire pass will be made of them seems rather silly in a lot of ways
It's not exactly as simple as that, but yeah, the Smash fandom doesn't have a very good track record with Ultimate's DLC. The way I see it, Hero was the only one everyone 100% predicted, and that's only because of the leak. Banjo and Byleth were were discussed a fair amount, but they weren't entirely predicted because of bigger and more relevant picks (i.e. Steve?) and were expected to be part of the second pass, respectively. Joker and Terry were completely overlooked.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd love to see how Sakurai would tackle weapon switching.
I mean, we have Byleth and Min Min. I suppose we could also make it into a sort of three-in-one moveset a la Pokemon Trainer, at least for the normals.
For Guild Wars 2, it'd probably be more like a 2 in one scenario. My guess is that you'd have a weapon set for one purpose, a weapons set for another, and a set of Special Moves that are fixed.

As an example, I'll pull from my avatar, Swift Arow (the name was taken so I had to improvise). He's got a Longbow, and a Sword/Axe combo as his two weapon sets, so he could use the longbow to deal damage from a distance, but have trouble at midrange and closer, and the Sword and Axe for CQC. His Down Special would allow him to change which weapon he's wielding on the fly just like with Min Min, so he could use the two in tandem with each other, the Sword and Axe to deal with opponents up close, and knock them away, and the Lonbow to capitalize on the space that opened up. We could also add some interestingly functioning moves from the weapon skills in the source material, so his Dash Attack could be Monarch's Leap, where he leaps forward and stabs you, and then press the attack button to strike and roll backward, then swap weapons and bust out the Longbow's attacks. The rest of his Special Moves could be dedicated to his pet, since that's what the Ranger is all about (you can swap pets too, but that'd be way too complicated, and the Soulbeast spec can't do it anyway). I'm sure this sounds kind of toxic, and would need some really good balancing, but it's also not the only possibility either (besides, we just came off of Min Min so...).

Alternatively, you could just bake the synergies into one moveset similarly to Byleth, but with a lot of weird buttons, and that would represent the idea just fine too. This is what I would do with Elma since weapon switching is important in Xenoblade Chronicles X, but not nearly as important as Soul Voices and Overdrive, which is what I would dedicate the Special Moves and general character concept too.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
It's not exactly as simple as that, but yeah, the Smash fandom doesn't have a very good track record with Ultimate's DLC. The way I see it, Hero was the only one everyone 100% predicted, and that's only because of the leak. Banjo and Byleth were were discussed a fair amount, but they weren't entirely predicted because of bigger and more relevant picks (i.e. Steve?) and were expected to be part of the second pass, respectively. Joker and Terry were completely overlooked.
This is why I always have issues with characters people think are "Inevitable" or ones people think are "Impossible". A lot of the predictable and "Safe" characters people brought up usually weren't the ones that get in and we get ones like Joker and Terry whom people slept on.

I do feel like we may get a heavily predicted character but we may also get an "Impossible" or "Niche" character as well. DLC is hard to predict.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Which pill would you take?
View attachment 286809
It really depends on the character. If the third party is Freddy Fazbear and the First Party is Grovyle? That's an easy blue. But if Steve is the third party and the the Girl from Hadji no Mori is the first party, I'm obviously going to go with the red.

I'd probably go with blue, because I have more of a connection with the average Nintendo character than the average Non-Nintendo character, but it's a massive pool.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
with heiheichi out of the picture what else is namco gonna give at this point

Namco SHOULD have another character and Nightmare would be perfect for that. His only competition at all is a Tales character at this point
Digimon are the champions.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I think a hypothetical Phantasy Star fighter would undoubtedly be Alis. People usually forget this (because Sega's done little to preserve the legacy of the series, as it makes them more bank to just milk it as an MMO), but the original Phantasy Star was revolutionary and a huge leap forward for RPGs.
The series is perfectly preserved

All four Classic PS games are nearly on most console every console gen. The SEGA AGES version of the first game with better QoL features is on sale on switch right now.

I legit just fought a modern version of of the classic games final bosses last week on PSO2.

The reason people forget is because PS1-III are OLD.
EXTREMELY OLD. They arent from the Genesis era, they are from the master system era, they have outdated QoL that a modern day JRPG player does not want to deal with at all.

and PSO is just as revolutionary.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Has no one brought up some of the bangers Kirby Fighters 2 has yet?
It's a shame these probably won't ever be in Ultimate even if a Kirby character is in season 2. I would more than welcome some of these.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
with heiheichi out of the picture what else is namco gonna give at this point

Namco SHOULD have another character and Nightmare would be perfect for that. His only competition at all is a Tales character at this point
Again

People are seriously not giving Dark Souls enough credit. If you’re worried about Dark Souls gameplay translating into Smash, Source Gaming has you covered.

D

Deleted member

Good morning.

I'm pretty sure there's really nothing outside of Kriby Fighters 2 that had been significant lately, though that's a huge step-up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The series is perfectly preserved

All four Classic PS games are nearly on most console every console gen. The SEGA AGES version of the first game with better QoL features is on sale on switch right now.

I legit just fought a modern version of of the classic games final bosses last week on PSO2.

The reason people forget is because PS1-III are OLD.
EXTREMELY OLD. They arent from the Genesis era, they are from the master system era, they have outdated QoL that a modern day JRPG player does not want to deal with at all.

and PSO is just as revolutionary.
I guess preserve wasn't the right word. I didn't mean that the games aren't readily available for purchase, Sega's amazing in that regard. It's just that for a series of its caliber, they never seem to feature it in anything, like it's a total no-show in Project X Zone and Sega All-Stars Racing, they rarely reference it. It's just weird.

Of course PSO was a landmark game for many reasons, but still, they seem content with people believing that the series began with it, and that's just sad.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given Sega's recent old franchise revitalizations as of late, it wouldn't surprise me to see them get an indie studio to do either a remake of or sequel to the 2D Phantasy Star titles.

Once you're willing to revive Alex Kidd, anything's on the table.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
This is why I always have issues with characters people think are "Inevitable" or ones people think are "Impossible". A lot of the predictable and "Safe" characters people brought up usually weren't the ones that get in and we get ones like Joker and Terry whom people slept on.

I do feel like we may get a heavily predicted character but we may also get an "Impossible" or "Niche" character as well. DLC is hard to predict.
I think that is due, in large part, because Smash speculation so often becomes an echo chamber. Whenever a (reasonably popular) character is discussed for a few pages, suddenly they become everyone's pick for "most likely". That dubious honor currently rests with Travis, before the ARMS reveal it was Crash. We've seen it with Dante, Geno, and who knows how many others. It seems like most people think that whatever the crowd is discussing, somehow makes it more likely for it to be included in Smash.

Disclaimer: Travis is currently at the top of the list because of Suda's comment, I was just using him as an example.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I guess preserve wasn't the right word. I didn't mean that the games aren't readily available for purchase, Sega's amazing in that regard. It's just that for a series of its caliber, they never seem to feature it in anything, like it's a total no-show in Project X Zone and Sega All-Stars Racing, they rarely reference it. It's just weird.

Of course PSO was a landmark game for many reasons, but still, they seem content with people believing that the series began with it, and that's just sad.
All Stars was because SEGA had a No Japanese only character rule at the time since PS, Puyo Puyo, and Yakuza were not getting localized.

Project X Zone is weird cause there's definitely a ton PS characters they could've picked but it was main devs choices on who was getting in.

Skies of Arcadia was basically, in many ways, a 3D turn based Phanatsy Star. Majority of the team behind classic PS made it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I know Dragalia Lost was mentioned on here before. There was a Smashfaqs topic about it being absent completely, so I got reminded of it. I do think it would get Presence in some way in the game, especially since it is a New Nintendo I.P

I'm not very interested in Euden, but if he did get in, would he have a Permanent Transformation? All the Transformations in Ultimate so far have been timed, and the only other character I could think of that would have Permanent Transformaton is Agumon (and Goku, but he's deconfirmed).

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So I know Dragalia Lost was mentioned on here before. There was a Smashfaqs topic about it being absent completely, so I got reminded of it. I do think it would get Presence in some way in the game, especially since it is a New Nintendo I.P

I'm not very interested in Euden, but if he did get in, would he have a Permanent Transformation? All the Transformations in Ultimate so far have been timed, and the only other character I could think of that would have Permanent Transformaton is Agumon (and Goku, but he's deconfirmed).
I imagine Euden would transform for a limited amount of time via a meter

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I doubt it, as that would contradict how it works in the game (it lasts a limited amount of time, depending on your bond with the Dragon in question).

Perkilator

Smash Legend

You mean transformation Final Smash or a “transformation” like Joker’s Rebellion Gauge? I was thinking the latter, where using Down B would transform Euden into Midgardsormr for as long as the gauge was full.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I doubt it, as that would contradict how it works in the game (it lasts a limited amount of time, depending on your bond with the Dragon in question).
Depending on the Bond with the Dragon, so the Better the Bond, the Longer the time, so it's impossible to have a bond so great that it last forever?

I don't know how it works in game when it comes to that. though even if not Permanent, what I could see is Perhaps you can Transform at will, but the meter Depletes while you are in Transformed State. but you can Transform and Detransform at will, which I still think would be cool. There's meter Management, but if you want to play with the powerful Dragon form, you can just summon it whenever you want, which is different from other Transformations

All the other Transformations (No Final Smashes included) are Transformations you can't just use at Will. Arsene Joker is Probably one of the most Fun characters to play as cause you feel powerful, but you can't just use it when you want to. You have to fill the bar up first by Taking Damage or waiting a very long time,

Kinda the same with Limit Break (even if you could charge it). Lucario does last forever, but you need to take Damage

I do think there's more you could do with Transformations like that. I Personally think Euden would be lame (Personally, for me). but if he had some itneresting stuff going on with Transformations that would be cool

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Depending on the Bond with the Dragon, so the Better the Bond, the Longer the time, so it's impossible to have a bond so great that it last forever?

I don't know how it works in game when it comes to that. though even if not Permanent, what I could see is Perhaps you can Transform at will, but the meter Depletes while you are in Transformed State. but you can Transform and Detransform at will, which I still think would be cool. There's meter Management, but if you want to play with the powerful Dragon form, you can just summon it whenever you want, which is different from other Transformations

All the other Transformations (No Final Smashes included) are Transformations you can't just use at Will. Arsene Joker is Probably one of the most Fun characters to play as cause you feel powerful, but you can't just use it when you want to. You have to fill the bar up first by Taking Damage or waiting a very long time,

Kinda the same with Limit Break (even if you could charge it). Lucario does last forever, but you need to take Damage

I do think there's more you could do with Transformations like that. I Personally think Euden would be lame (Personally, for me). but if he had some itneresting stuff going on with Transformations that would be cool
If we're going by how it works in the game, then you'd HAVE to wait until the Dragon Gauge meter runs out before you can transform back into Euden. Fortunately, the Dragons have different movesets from Euden and are generally more powerful, so it balances out.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It is a little weird that we lack Dragalia Lost content, come to think of it. I understand not having a playable fighter since they might be reluctant to add one from a mobile game (key word here being might), but the lack of Spirits is odd. Euden would be a cool fighter imo, and having a dragon as a transformation would make him pretty interesting

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It is a little weird that we lack Dragalia Lost content, come to think of it. I understand not having a playable fighter since they might be reluctant to add one from a mobile game (key word here being might), but the lack of Spirits is odd. Euden would be a cool fighter imo, and having a dragon as a transformation would make him pretty interesting
The mobile games in general seem to lack content. True that could be because the majority of them already have representation due to reused assets, but maybe a few more songs from the mobile games would be nice (more than just the Fire Emblem Heroes castle menu theme at the very least)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Has no one brought up some of the bangers Kirby Fighters 2 has yet?
It's a shame these probably won't ever be in Ultimate even if a Kirby character is in season 2. I would more than welcome some of these.
I really enjoyed those... you actually convinced me to go buy the game before a sale (since that is probably far off anyway and would be a few bucks different).

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, wasn't Hero's presentation announced on a Sunday? I know we technically already knew Hero was coming, but it could happen again. I personally don't think it will, Nintendo usually doesn't do weekend announcements.
Yes, it was announced on July 28th last year, which was a Sunday, so a weekend announcement isn't out of the question.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I was sort of thinking about the last time we got an announcement for Friday and presentation on Monday.

It was announced at 7am PST, which’d likely be the case when CP7’s presentation is announced.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I was sort of thinking about the last time we got an announcement for Friday and presentation on Monday.

It was announced at 7am PST, which’d likely be the case when CP7’s presentation is announced.
Don't scare me like that

The full tweet didn't load and I thought it was new lol

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Thanks for getting my hopes up for nothing once I read the date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom