• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't even think I care who it is anymore, just show the damn thing already.
I'm almost at that same place.

I just have other games and hobbies to keep me busy and entertained while the wait for FP7 continues, so I'm all good. Heck, I'm actually more interested in getting updates on BotW2 than I am about another Smash newcomer.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I can understand expecting a trend to stay intact and not be broken... but that's not what people are doing. Instead, they're burying their feet in the sand of "Assist Trophies are never becoming playable and you'll just have to wait until next game" and refusing to budge despite any argument thrown at them, with said sand being firm enough to hold them in place for now but also still loose enough that they could get knocked over at any time.

... hence the term "fan rules". People are taking trends and predictions that have been inferred from previous outcomes and decisions and treating them like they're absolute rules that will never be broken, when it's still possible that they could be broken eventually. Yes, it might look like Assist Trophies are hard deconfirmations, and that very well may be the case, but until Sakurai comes out and says "Assist Trophies will not become playable through DLC" like he's done for non-video game characters, I'm not gonna treat the "Assist Trophies deconfirm" speculation as a hard-coded rule that will stay in place for every single Smash game until the end of time.

Exactly.

I've argued with some people here that the rules are "there". But should be taken with a grain of salt and not used as a wall to deter discussions on certain characters getting in.

I know that many have even attributed it to the scientific process. Forming theories/hypothesis ect ect in the same way science would form/deduce normally. However the outstanding factor that many people pretend doesn't exist is Sakurai. He's a human being, maybe a talented developer, with a great vision of gaming and how to have fun, but a human being nonetheless. He's been irrational before, saying he can't come up with a moveset for villager and went ahead and proved himself wrong. He's gone ahead to say that Ridley is too big to add into smash, making him a boss 2 games in a row then deciding - eh, I was wrong, let's make this guy a character. He's even to a lesser extent pulled characters that people had forgotten about or never even thought of as contenders and put them into smash - Ice Climbers, ROB, G&W, Duck Hunt, PP all made into characters filled to the brim with personality.

He has a formula I'm sure. That's what everyone's always trying to figure out - but for some reason people always act like he wouldn't dare break one of his own rationales, rules, plans, or his own word.

Things change quickly in development: Let me pose a question to everyone here because we sometimes like to talk in absolutes. I'll just go ahead and paraphrase an often quoted older point.

"DLC pack 2 characters have been decided already." We heard this a while ago. Is there any way this could have changed? If, so can it change any of the theories/hypothesizes out there? We're still waiting on fighter #2. I mean it's just a thought experiment if anything, don't take this too seriously.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm fine with a Pokemon, honestly. Series representation ratios don't really bother me, and I really would love to have SwSh stuff in Smash, so I'd be down. :drshrug:
Don't get me wrong. I know I'm being a huge complainer right now, but I'd want something from SwSh too. Just not a starter. There's tons of cool Pokemon from those games, I just don't want to see a starter this time around.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not anti-Pokemon, I miss when Pokemon picks for Smash were creative like you've stated with Mewtwo. But at some point, it became some unwritten rule that every Pokemon who gets into Smash has to be a starter, which completely negates any creativity offered from that region's games. There are so many awesome Pokemon in each generation, but it's always "yeah, throw the starter in there." Like, what happened to picks like Mewtwo, Lucario, and Jiggly?
They seemingly stopped doing the whole posterboy mon thing since Zoroark failed to catch on like Lucario did, so I suppose they've been playing it safe ever since by mainly focusing on the starters and whatnot...

Which is a bit of a shame, as mentioned, there are still some cool non starter pokemon that managed to become popular in their own right that unfortunately won't get the chance they des-- I mean, could get...

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly? CP7 is pretty much the last bit of Nintendo news I'm interested in this year now that the Mario 3D All-Stars stuff is out of the way.

That said, I'm also fine to wait however long it takes. I'm just along for the ride at this point, lol.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm cool with Pokemon tbh. Depends on who they chose of course, but I'm definitely open to a couple like Cinderace, Dragapult, or our mighty god of win. Only ones I'm not too keen on are like... Intelleon and Toxicitry

Though tbh, after Min Min, I'm fine with pretty much any other character at this point. Lol.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A Pokemon fighter still feels like its in a weird place of being equally likely and unlikely to me. One on hand its such a big franchise and its place in Smash is clearly significant, but paid DLC for something from the IP in a non-Pokemon title hasn't happened too terribly often and Game Freak/TPC feel like march to the beat of their own drum anyway.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Check this out.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I pick Klonoa, Geno, Crash Bandicoot, Travis Touchdown and Phoenix Wright.
Gonna pick Amaterasu and Phoenix Wright. . . and that's it. I don't care for anyone else on there.

Wow! That Rex render is ugly
That's just his character design :4pacman:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Haha sorry, didn't mean to flaunt the gacha luck. there are some I still really want that I never got, like Quezt, Shuten, and Squritora. Hoping to grab Quetz at least this christmas. My first GSSR gave me Gramps, and while he is cool I was looking for Shuten. This years GSSR at least gave me Sanzang.

If I didn't have a JP account I would just use this one. Its just I invested too much in JP to just stop playing it. I have been rolling only with my free gems and tickets though since Google play stopped allowing US play cards to buy stuff from JP apps. I use Playcards to keep my budget in check, so I always know how much I spend.

We should add each other in the game, if you don't mind.
Sure.
Main account: 310,917,146
Secondary: 901,607,802
Also do you think a gacha game could get a character for DLC?
Yes, there are Gacha games that have a possibility of getting a character. Dragalia Lost and Granblue Fantasy are two popular speculations and while it didn't start as a Gacha, the Fate series definitely has alot of possibility due to Grand Order being one of the highest selling, if not the highest selling, Gacha games. Also helps that Fate is incredibly popular in Japan.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Don't get me wrong. I know I'm being a huge complainer right now, but I'd want something from SwSh too. Just not a starter. There's tons of cool Pokemon from those games, I just don't want to see a starter this time around.
I can respect that. For me though, I'm the complete opposite: Cinderace is probably in my top 10 right now. I'd like other Pokemon too, of course, it's just the Cinderace is my favorite Pokemon at the moment and I'd love to be able to play as it in Smash Bros.

TheBeastHimself

I can respect that. For me though, I'm the complete opposite: Cinderace is probably in my top 10 right now. I'd like other Pokemon too, of course, it's just the Cinderace is my favorite Pokemon at the moment and I'd love to be able to play as it in Smash Bros.
And I respect that as well. If Cinderace gets in, I'll be more than happy for you, because you got a character you wanted. Maybe I'll shake my head for a couple minutes, but at least you won't find me here raging lol.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They seemingly stopped doing the whole posterboy mon thing since Zoroark failed to catch on like Lucario did, so I suppose they've been playing it safe ever since by mainly focusing on the starters and whatnot...
Their mantra ever since gen 6, maybe even BW2, is to respond to complaints in extreme ways.

Zoroark didn't catch on because it required event Pokemon being transferred, so BW2 gave you Zoroark for free, and in XY the mon that received similar promotion was a starter. There were people that complained you could only use new Pokemon in BW, so XY had a limited selection of new mons and a ton of old ones in its regional dex. SM marketing revealed too much, so for SS we get stuff like a 24 hour stream that barely reveals Galarian Ponyta.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly, I think the design would be 10x better if he didn't detach the leather parts on the legs. The old-timey scuba look would get across better and he wouldn't be wearing weird metal chaps.
Tbh his Master Driver costume looks heckin DOPE. Mans look like a whole ass Gundam it’s so badass

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Exactly. And I'd enjoy every second of it.
A Pokemon fighter still feels like its in a weird place of being equally likely and unlikely to me. One on hand its such a big franchise and its place in Smash is clearly significant, but paid DLC for something from the IP in a non-Pokemon title hasn't happened too terribly often and Game Freak/TPC feel like march to the beat of their own drum anyway.
For me, it seems like one of those options that people pick not because they genuinely want a new Pokemon rep but rather because it's seen as the "Safest" option and to some people, a cynical pick. I imagine some people want to be correct with a prediction for once, too.

A new Pokemon rep is oddly enough, Plays so safe it is less likely than people give it credit for, if it makes sense. It just feels too predictable and such a safe choice that it doesn't feel 100% likely. At least if people get what I am saying.

SKX31

Smash Master
Sakurai will revisit Rex only for the devs to ask that he add another character from the game as their personal request instead.

This is officially how every FP2 newcomer.will be decided from here on out. Min Min's new standard is the only standard. She alone decides all.
K Rool mains cry out for mercy as the Min Min decides to hit his recovery with her Ring over and over again.

Their mantra ever since gen 6, maybe even BW2, is to respond to complaints in extreme ways.

Zoroark didn't catch on because it required event Pokemon being transferred, so BW2 gave you Zoroark for free, and in XY the mon that received similar promotion was a starter. There were people that complained you could only use new Pokemon in BW, so XY had a limited selection of new mons and a ton of old ones in its regional dex. SM marketing revealed too much, so for SS we get stuff like a 24 hour stream that barely reveals Galarian Ponyta.
That is an interesting point - maybe it's because Pokemon has gotten so big as a franchise to the point where Game Freak's seemingly overreacting to ensure that no complaint "settles" and festers over the generations? Long term problems can certainly harm a franchise built around generations or similar stuff - Guitar Hero's the archetypal example I'm thinking off, but long term problems within FIFA and Madden (hell, EA Sports in general) have started to harm those games. Sure, those two are making more money than ever, but neither FIFA nor Madden are having much luck in the competitive arena for example - and the problems have "helped" give EA a horrible reputation. And as I've noted with the lootbox debacle... yeah.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean it is 2020. Plenty of bad stuff, particularly one thing, has halted developments across the board.
Even so, they haven't said that development was going so poorly that they had to scrap a character and pick someone else. Quite the opposite in fact. Besides, the worst COVID-19 could do is...well, kill Sakurai, but barring that, the worst that could happen is delay development. I don't think there's really a scenario in which it would stop a character from being added at all, especially if development has already started on them.

Tbh his Master Driver costume looks heckin DOPE. Mans look like a whole ass Gundam it’s so badass
I looked it up because I hadn't seen it in a while, and it still has the weird thigh holes. lol

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think the design would be 10x better if he didn't detach the leather parts on the legs. The old-timey scuba look would get across better and he wouldn't be wearing weird metal chaps.
Eh, it'd also help if he didn't have the exact same face as Nia (minus the fangs). Saito's just really not a good character designer.

IDK, I still think it looks stupid. He looks like he's cosplaying a spaceship in that outfit.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean it is 2020. Plenty of bad stuff, particularly one thing, has halted developments across the board.
You'd still require something to happen involving contracts, you can't make deals with all the people involved only to call them off later, that's just bad business as legal documents and **** are involved too

Which is a bit of a shame, as mentioned, there are still some cool non starter pokemon that managed to become popular in their own right that unfortunately won't get the chance they des-- I mean, could get...
Game Freak was absolutely shocked when the Pokemon exclusive to a timed event wasn't as popular as one that's given to you, got a ****ton of promotion before the game even came out and got included in the best selling fighting game of all time at that point. Crazy how they don't have the same level of popularity.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
You'd still require something to happen involving contracts, you can't make deals with all the people involved only to call them off later, that's just bad business as legal documents and **** are involved too

Sure, but are we suggesting that this is an impossibility? It might not even be Nintendo. Another company may have been difficult to work with, incompatible, or just not able to keep up? I'm just putting the idea out there that things change. Development might be rough enough for characters to be dumped or changed.

TheBeastHimself

Someone is gonna hate me for saying this, but I find the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 cutscenes to be hilarious to look at, at times. In so many translated games, the English dubbing just doesn't normally match up with mouth movements, so it results in a character's jaw moving up and down repeatedly like PS1 graphics with no words or syllables matching mouth movement whatsoever. Sometimes, the character's look stiff and not too full of expression when the voice-over is full of expression and charm.

But that's only in certain sequences. Most of the cutscenes look beautiful in this game, and they get a lot of the emotion down pat perfectly. At other times, it looks like a Sonic Adventure 2 cutscene...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Aw, but I liked Zoroark...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sure, but are we suggesting that this is an impossibility? It might not even be Nintendo. Another company may have been difficult to work with, incompatible, or just not able to keep up? I'm just putting the idea out there that things change. Development might be rough enough for characters to be dumped or changed.
Yes, it actually is.

Either it's a first party company and you would literally gain nothing from changing plans and switching characters as you'd still go through the entire process of making one and planning for one.

Or, it's a 3rd party company and Nintendo PAID FOR THE LICENSE, AND ALREADY PROMISED THEM MONEY. And they still gain absolutely nothing from switching characters.

I would sooner believe the pass was cancelled wholesale then to believe they would randomly switch out a character mid-development. The logic of "bad thing begets bad thing" doesn't always hold up.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That is an interesting point - maybe it's because Pokemon has gotten so big as a franchise to the point where Game Freak's seemingly overreacting to ensure that no complaint "settles" and festers over the generations? Long term problems can certainly harm a franchise built around generations or similar stuff...
Ironically, they've been completely ignoring all of their actual long term problems. They only pull a 180 sometimes, and not necessarily when it's required.

Someone is gonna hate me for saying this, but I find the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 cutscenes to be hilarious to look at, at times. In so many translated games, the English dubbing just doesn't normally match up with mouth movements, so it results in a character's jaw moving up and down repeatedly like PS1 graphics with no words or syllables matching mouth movement whatsoever. Sometimes, the character's look stiff and not too full of expression when the voice-over is full of expression and charm.

But that's only in certain sequences. Most of the cutscenes look beautiful in this game, and they get a lot of the emotion down pat perfectly. At other times, it looks like a Sonic Adventure 2 cutscene...
I think the CGI cutscenes are always great, but the in engine ones can be a bit eh. The transitions to each character's poses aren't always smooth, and sometimes physics get reapplied when the camera changes so Pyra's boobs and earrings jiggle for no reason. I would not entirely be surprised if Pyra's issues with this in particular was the reason why Sharla's jiggle physics were removed in Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

The lip flap thing is par for the course though; it's too much work to edit them for each localization. They just have the voice actors do their best to match them. It doesn't always produce the best results though, listen to how awkwardly Malos speaks sometimes in his battle against Rex at the beginning of the game.

Momentary

Smash Cadet
So when we thinking a reveal is happening boys. Im betting on sometime between this week and end of november.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sure.
Main account: 310,917,146
Secondary: 901,607,802

Yes, there are Gacha games that have a possibility of getting a character. Dragalia Lost and Granblue Fantasy are two popular speculations and while it didn't start as a Gacha, the Fate series definitely has alot of possibility due to Grand Order being one of the highest selling, if not the highest selling, Gacha games. Also helps that Fate is incredibly popular in Japan.
Ok, sent a request to both, the name was zara.

And yeah if we are getting anything ties to a gatcha its one of those three.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

To be fair I think that the absence of Zoroark is more due to bad timing than because Zoroark failed to catch on. Smash 4 only had one spot for a new Pokémon, so of course they would go with the last generation and give nothing to gen 5. If they did have two spots for Pokémon, I'm sure Zoroark would have been choose to rep gen 5.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sakurai will revisit Rex only for the devs to ask that he add another character from the game as their personal request instead.

This is officially how every FP2 newcomer.will be decided from here on out. Min Min's new standard is the only standard. She alone decides all.
Alrighty then, let's see how my gut feelings changed based on this:
  • We already have Min Min
  • Rex will be swapped out for Nia as Sakurai and MonoSoft bond over being cat people
  • The Monster Hunter will be slaughtered by the Deviljho mid-reveal, because **** you.
  • ZUN, feeling generous, decides to let Mima appear in another game for once. Alternatively, Clownpiece, just to make you suffer.
  • You wanted Isaac? Too bad, Sveta. She basically took the spotlight in Dark Dawn anyways.
  • Instead of Adol or Estelle, Falcom gives us... Actually, didn't the director give credence to both? Estelle's supposedly his favorite, but on a separate occasion he said he'd choose Adol because he thought his sword would fit in with the Smash cast (Playin' with fire today, eh?). Can someone bring that up for me, please?
Why yes, this is secretly trying to spark more Falcom conversation. Why do you ask?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom