• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Check this out.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I pick Klonoa, Geno, Crash Bandicoot, Travis Touchdown and Phoenix Wright.
I actually cant recognize all the characters there... how odd. Maybe it's because of how zoomed in they are?

Anywho, I'd like to say mine are based on 'biggest impact,' but I think that only influenced three pics.

• Master Chief
  • Sora
  • Crash
  • Agumon
  • Lara Croft

It was truly hard to not include Rayman. After that would have been Paper Mario, and then I suppose much lower, Hayabusa.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
True, its apparently a habit of mine, one I gotta try working on.

I was about to make another of those "Here's this instead by Nintendo" earlier but managed to stop myself, that's a big step I guess so far.
Thinking about stuff you see or hear about instead of immediately jumping to conclusions every single time would be a good start.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't know how people thought it would be Spring Man in the first place. He is an Assist Trophy.
He was the no-brainer pick. If they were going to break that policy, then was the likeliest time for them to have done so. But they didn't, so they're still disconfirmations.

Some stupid fan rule that the mascot/protagonist always has to be the first rep of a series, which for ARMS was Spring Man. And some others who just wanted to throw away the fan rule that ATs hard deconfirm.
It wasn't stupid, it was a precedent that every single series with a fighter in Super Smash Bros. follows. Even Min Min because the devs say so.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't know how people thought it would be Spring Man in the first place. He is an Assist Trophy.
Yeah, but that AT was put in the game back in like 2017 or 2018 when they didn't know they were going to be making an ARMS DLC character few years after the base game + the first FP were planned out. If they really wanted to, they could of gone back and made Spring Man playable, AT or no AT. They just decided on Min Min instead, like how they chose Robin over Chrom back in Smash 4.

Some stupid fan rule that the mascot/protagonist always has to be the first rep of a series, which for ARMS was Spring Man.
That's not "some stupid fan rule" when Sakurai himself justified Min Min in that "all of the ARMS characters are the main characters!" lol

ARMS just had more flexibility because none of the characters are more important than each other, outside of Spring Man being pushed more in marketing.

SKX31

Smash Master
By, "the game" I was referring to Dragalia Lost, but that is an interesting point.
Ah, okay. I included your answer since it's related to why so many mobile games with gachas don't get releases here. Nintendo did pull two games from Belgium over that, after all. So the tightening consumer rights / gambling laws and reports would likely mean that Nintendo would be much less likely to release Dragalia; in case the EU (or lets say Germany) classifies Dragalia as a 18+ game due to the gambling / gacha elements.

I think expecting things to take 'till November or December is being a bit pessimistic. IMHO, something would have had to go catastrophically wrong in development to have CP7 take that long to come out.

I wouldn't go expecting doomsday scenarios quite yet.
Luckily, I've figured out what to do in case doomsday arrives without FP7:

tumblr_p6a36w84M11qgjeodo1_1280.jpg

:4pacman:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wishful thinking? If Spring Man got in, that would open the doors to plenty of popular picks who are currently assist trophies, like Waluigi or Isaac. (it seems like people were far more passionate about characters like that than they were about Spring Man, though I could be wrong) Plus, assist trophies can be disabled on certain stages, so some people thought that they could also be disabled based on which characters are taking part in a match.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah. It's not a guarantee that we will see a fighter soon, but some people have put their hopes extremely high thanks to the ad and Amiibo Theory.
... wasnt there a tweet yesterday from an actual nintendo official that we were getting the next character soon?

(id appreciate someone being more specific than I'm being, I'm trying to remember who the tweet was from).

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
He was added as a Mii Costume because Byleth was chosen over him.
He was added as a Mii costume because he wasn't able to make the base roster.
You don't gotta spread some blatantly fake bull**** lmao

The too late to add reason for not adding him was false when they said it, as it did not apply to the DLC.
It's almost like the timing for the base roster choices and the timing for the dlc choices were different.
Mindblowing stuff I know.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
He was added as a Mii Costume because Byleth was chosen over him. The too late to add reason for not adding him was false when they said it, as it did not apply to the DLC.
It was more like he was too new for the base game, but too old for the DLC.

Nintendo just wanted to push a game that was releasing after Ultimate in 2019. Both ARMS and Xenoblade 2 were already out on the market by the time FP1 was in development in 2018, so naturally Three Houses, which wouldn't release for another year by then, got priority.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
At this rate, we're never gonna have a solid idea of the next fighter reveal's date.

It'll happen when it happens. Between COVID hitting the world and Nintendo's poor manners of communication, we're not getting much info from them that isn't very sudden.

'Course, a credible leak might pop up sometime and change all that, but i personally don't bother with following leaks or rumors anymore.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Plus, assist trophies can be disabled on certain stages, so some people thought that they could also be disabled based on which characters are taking part in a match.
We know the game can detect specific fighters because of Boxing Ring and Pictochat, and that certain Assist Trophies can be disabled due to what happens on Wii Fit Studio, and others. It's not an unreasonable assumption to make that there's nothing technical stopping an Assist Trophy upgrade. It's just a matter of actually doing it, which they've shown that they won't.

He was added as a Mii costume because he wasn't able to make the base roster.
You don't gotta spread some blatantly fake bull**** lmao
And because they didn't want him as DLC. If they wanted him as DLC, he wouldn't have been a costume. There ain't nothin' fake about that.

It's almost like the timing for the base roster choices and the timing for the dlc choices were different.
It's almost like Rex was a candidate when the DLC was being picked.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Also, do we really need to start throwing the "fan rules" argument around again? No one was saying these things are rules, they're trends and precedents.
The term "fan rules" exists because people keep treating trends and precedents like they're hard, set-in-stone rules that will never ever ever be broken.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will always be cursed by timing.

The Game Awards 2018 and Smash Ultimate are the two largest cursed timing moments for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok but if we did get a new FE rep, I wouldn’t mind it being itsuki from Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

• has only one Spirit in game (Tsubasa)
  • no music
  • no stage

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I feel like Min Min is a special case since while she does qualify as a protagonist (most ARMS characters do) she's not exactly the "face" of the game. As popular as she may be, the title is more befitting of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.

Besides being a special request (Sakurai almost added Ninjara before the devs approached him, didn't he?) it'd be similar to how a lot of newer Pokemon reps get in today. It'd be kind of like if Smash only added their first Pokemon character this year, and it wasn't Pikachu...or Pokemon Trainer, since they're literally the human protagonist.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
And because they didn't want him as DLC. If they wanted him as DLC, he wouldn't have been a costume. There ain't nothin' fake about that.
Sakurai never said anything about not wanting him. It was always a matter of bad timing (Byleth was chosen over him because Sakurai got his hands a playable beta of Three Houses, a luxury Rex didn’t have because Ultimate was in development when XC2 was announced.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm just gonna speculate about Rex for a moment since it's a current topic that isn't Geno, Pokemon or the reveal of the week, so it's refreshing enough to make my brain cells function.

Rex was outright confirmed to have his game be known by Sakurai too late for him to be a base game option. That's a thing we know.

However, we also know the Fighters Pass was decided at a different time, based on a Rare article that mentionned the character having been decided around early 2018. Not all fighters had to have been decided at the same time, but it shows us they weren't decided in 2015 like the base roster, at least.

With that in mind, Rex's game was released around the time FP1 was decided, meaning that he had a fair chance for it. The fact that he was from a very recent game might have even made him a frontrunner, honestly. But he was ultimately turned down.

I like to theorize that the Rex outfit came to be after Rex was turned down for Fighter Pass 1 in favor of... I won't specifically say any fighter because I don't wanna make some anti-Byleth propaganda when I actually wanted that character lmao.

If I'm right, if Rex was someone who could be considered and ultimately turned down for FP1... why would FP2 be different?

D

Deleted member

I'm just gonna speculate about Rex for a moment since it's a current topic that isn't Geno, Pokemon or the reveal of the week, so it's refreshing enough to make my brain cells function.
How can you refresh your brain cells if you don't have any?

(This is a joke, don't take this seriously. :3)

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The term "fan rules" exists because people keep treating trends and precedents like they're hard, set-in-stone rules that will never ever ever be broken.
Can't speak for others, but at least for me, I always acknowledge there's always a chance for trends to be broken, but it definitely depends on how strong the trends are and how consistently they're being adhered to. So far, we've had six characters that fit the mold of introducing characters that bring in new content from games with no or little Smash presence, and the game's star face. Min Min still adheres to this by Yabuki's own words of that everyone is the star in ARMs, thus making them all protagonists.

IMO, in speculation, you kind of have to look to these trends and expect them not to be broken in order to really try and form a basis as to what to expect. It's good to account that a hypothesis could fail and prove untrue in the end, but if you just expect every trend to be broken, then what can you use as a guideline?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sakurai never said anything about not wanting him. It was always a matter of bad timing (Byleth was chosen over him because Sakurai got his hands a playable beta of Three Houses, a luxury Rex didn’t have because Ultimate was in development when XC2 was announced.
OK look. What I'm saying is, Rex and an ARMS character were said to not be in the game because their games were too late. This is a blatant falsehood, because they both were candidates for DLC as evidenced by Byleth. They just wanted Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and a bunch of 3rd parties to have a character instead.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
OK look. What I'm saying is, Rex and an ARMS character were said to not be in the game because their games were too late. This is a blatant falsehood, because they both were candidates for DLC as evidenced by Byleth. They just wanted Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and a bunch of 3rd parties to have a character instead.

Rex was outright confirmed to have his game be known by Sakurai too late for him to be a base game option. That's a thing we know.

However, we also know the Fighters Pass was decided at a different time, based on a Rare article that mentionned the character having been decided around early 2018. Not all fighters had to have been decided at the same time, but it shows us they weren't decided in 2015 like the base roster, at least.

With that in mind, Rex's game was released around the time FP1 was decided, meaning that he had a fair chance for it. The fact that he was from a very recent game might have even made him a frontrunner, honestly. But he was ultimately turned down.

I like to theorize that the Rex outfit came to be after Rex was turned down for Fighter Pass 1 in favor of... I won't specifically say any fighter because I don't wanna make some anti-Byleth propaganda when I actually wanted that character lmao.

If I'm right, if Rex was someone who could be considered and ultimately turned down for FP1... why would FP2 be different?
Like I just said above, I think Nintendo just wanted to promote a first party game coming out in 2019 for FP1. Xenoblade 2 and ARMS were already released in 2017, so that's probably why they didn't feel the need to promote them.

ARMS and Xeno 2 were too new for the base game, but too old for FP1.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here’s the difference; he meant too late for the BASE game. Spirit/costume promotions weren’t in mind when Vol. 1 was decided on.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Well....one could say the same thing for ARMS which was in a similair situation to XC2. I think the situation with how FP1 and FP2 were chosen is still unknown and the goal with each pass might be different than the other. FP1 might have focused on expanding the crossover and adding different franchises (with Byleth being the exception), FP2 on the other hand might have a different focus of adding characters that missed the base game. And we know Sakurai has previously said ARMS and XC2 would've gotten a fighter if timing was on their side.

So basically it depends on how FP2 was decided and organized and if it follows the same goals of FP1 or if it has new ones instead.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I mean you could say the same thing about ARMS, can you not?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You know how when you cut down a tree, you can basically see its age/history on its trunk?

That's basically what Ultimate is like, lol. The development for it can be split into three different phases:

Phase 1: The base game (2015)
Phase 2: Fighters Pass (2018)
Phase 3: Fighters Pass Vol 2 (2019)

Rex was too new for Phase 1, but too old for Phase 2, it seems.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well...because so were Min Min & her crew, so they clearly revisited the idea for at least one of them. I do think a Xenoblade Chronicles character (though not necessarily Rex specifically) is a realistic choice because the series seems to be in a similar position to Fire Emblem at the moment; a bit of a rising star that Nintendo would want to keep the momentum going for.

Here’s the difference; he meant too late for the BASE game. Spirit/costume promotions weren’t in mind when Vol. 1 was decided on.
Which would be a good point except that Rex is a Vol. 1 DLC costume so he wouldn't have been a promotion at that time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You just implied it was Byleth, lol.

If the Smash fans make anti-Byleth propaganda, it is their fault, not yours.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Rex were a base game costume like his fellow XC2 character Nia, I COULD see them going back to revisit him.

but he’s technically paid for. Imo that complicates things. (Inb4 someone says he’s paywalled behind the first pass; you’re still paying for him nevertheless)

D

Deleted member

I will just say this:

Rex is in quite a strange spot compared to other first parties.

I have a feeling he has a pretty good shot, but another feeling tells me he isn't in either due to Xenoblade Chronicles 2's cursed timing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I know its hard to predict but when are you guys expecting FP7 being announced?

I'm gonna bet not next week but the week after as I imagine they want to get Pokemon out of the way first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom