• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Rex were a base game costume like his fellow XC2 character Nia, I COULD see them going back to revisit him.

but he’s technically paid for. Imo that complicates things. (Inb4 someone says he’s paywalled behind the first pass; you’re still paying for him nevertheless)
I don't think that's an issue. The amount of people who bought the pass only because of Rex's Mii Costume, didn't really like the characters, and would be more mad that they turned around and sold the character again as a full fighter than they would be happy that Rex became a fighter in the first place would likely be incredibly tiny.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Like I just said above, I think Nintendo just wanted to promote a first party game coming out in 2019 for FP1. Xenoblade 2 and ARMS were already released in 2017, so that's probably why they didn't feel the need to promote them.

ARMS and Xeno 2 were too new for the base game, but too old for FP1.
Well....one could say the same thing for ARMS which was in a similair situation to XC2. I think the situation with how FP1 and FP2 were chosen is still unknown and the goal with each pass might be different than the other. FP1 might have focused on expanding the crossover and adding different franchises (with Byleth being the exception), FP2 on the other hand might have a different focus of adding characters that missed the base game. And we know Sakurai has previously said ARMS and XC2 would've gotten a fighter if timing was on their side.

So basically it depends on how FP2 was decided and organized and if it follows the same goals of FP1 or if it has new ones instead.
I mean you could say the same thing about ARMS, can you not?
Well...because so were Min Min & her crew, so they clearly revisited the idea for at least one of them. I do think a Xenoblade Chronicles character (though not necessarily Rex specifically) is a realistic choice because the series seems to be in a similar position to Fire Emblem at the moment; a bit of a rising star that Nintendo would want to keep the momentum going for.
Those are all fair arguments, honestly. I somehow forgot Min Min lmao.

You just implied it was Byleth, lol.

If the Smash fans make anti-Byleth propaganda, it is their fault, not yours.
And it's a shame because Byleth's a good character :3

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Rex's Mii Costume was probably added when the first pass was gonna be the be all end all.

Vol 2 likely wasn't greenlit til a bit later, after the huge success of the initial base Ultimate/pass 1. If I were to guess a time placement, I'd say around early to mid 2019. Long after Rex's mii was available to the general public as part of pass 1.

I always saw Rex's costume as an "honorable mention" of sorts. Like "If we were to add just a few more characters, he would've been one of em".

Now with Vol 2 being a thing, and fellow holdover ARMS getting it's day with Min Min, I'm feeling pretty good about Rex rn

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's interesting so far is that no big weekly announcement has just been DLC for something. Directs dedicated to various games, or individual announcements like Kirby Fighters 2, Pikmin 3, or Age of Calamity, but not yet downloadable content for a prominent release.

Will be interesting to see if Pokemon or Smash breaks that pattern first.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Can't speak for others, but at least for me, I always acknowledge there's always a chance for trends to be broken, but it definitely depends on how strong the trends are and how consistently they're being adhered to. So far, we've had six characters that fit the mold of introducing characters that bring in new content from games with no or little Smash presence, and the game's star face. Min Min still adheres to this by Yabuki's own words of that everyone is the star in ARMs, thus making them all protagonists.

IMO, in speculation, you kind of have to look to these trends and expect them not to be broken in order to really try and form a basis as to what to expect. It's good to account that a hypothesis could fail and prove untrue in the end, but if you just expect every trend to be broken, then what can you use as a guideline?
I can understand expecting a trend to stay intact and not be broken... but that's not what people are doing. Instead, they're burying their feet in the sand of "Assist Trophies are never becoming playable and you'll just have to wait until next game" and refusing to budge despite any argument thrown at them, with said sand being firm enough to hold them in place for now but also still loose enough that they could get knocked over at any time.

... hence the term "fan rules". People are taking trends and predictions that have been inferred from previous outcomes and decisions and treating them like they're absolute rules that will never be broken, when it's still possible that they could be broken eventually. Yes, it might look like Assist Trophies are hard deconfirmations, and that very well may be the case, but until Sakurai comes out and says "Assist Trophies will not become playable through DLC" like he's done for non-video game characters, I'm not gonna treat the "Assist Trophies deconfirm" speculation as a hard-coded rule that will stay in place for every single Smash game until the end of time.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
It's starting to become a bit irritating for me that a lot of us conclude, "okay, looks like we're getting news next week." People have been saying that since July, we will get news when it comes. It could be next week, but probably not.

I'd say the earliest we will get Smash news is mid-October. Nintendo still has some news about other games to cover, and for some reason they can't announce more than one thing a week.

I just don't understand why a minute-long Animal Crossing trailer and a Smash reveal can't happen during the same week, as if it's some sin that bad boys and bad girls would commit.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So I know its hard to predict but when are you guys expecting FP7 being announced?

I'm gonna bet not next week but the week after as I imagine they want to get Pokemon out of the way first.
People have been betting on a reveal every other week for months, now.

It'll happen when it happens.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Rex were a base game costume like his fellow XC2 character Nia, I COULD see them going back to revisit him.

but he’s technically paid for. Imo that complicates things. (Inb4 someone says he’s paywalled behind the first pass; you’re still paying for him nevertheless)
He's not something you get right out of the box, but the costume was completed before they worked on the FP1 characters and in version 1.0's data. So he's base game enough.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
He's not something you get right out of the box, but the costume was completed before they worked on the FP1 characters and in version 1.0's data. So he's base game enough.
Yeah. It still wouldn't make sense to add him as a fighter that pass if his costume was bundled with the pass. FP2 on the other hand, he's in good shape to get in unless Nintendo randomly announces XC3 next year.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So I wonder, who do you guys think FP7 is gonna be? I don’t come around here much since I I don’t have a lot of time to catch up on 8 pages at work every single day 😅, so I’m not up to date on who the thread sees as the most likely option(s)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah. It still wouldn't make sense to add him as a fighter that pass if his costume was bundled with the pass. FP2 on the other hand, he's in good shape to get in unless Nintendo randomly announces XC3 next year.
Monolith is working on BotW2. XC3/XDE could only get a Metroid Prime 4-esque announcement.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
'd say the earliest we will get Smash news is mid-October. Nintendo still has some news about other games to cover, and for some reason they can't announce more than one thing a week.
Well according to the ad (which to my knowledge has never been incorrect), it'll be October 2nd at the very latest.

On the off chance that it is a red herring this time though, then we're probably looking at October 26th at the earliest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am for a first party character, but what scares me is I feel like the fanbase will be more toxic if CP7 is a first party character rather than a third party.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I wonder, who do you guys think FP7 is gonna be? I don’t come around here much since I I don’t have a lot of time to catch up on 8 pages at work every single day 😅, so I’m not up to date on who the thread sees as the most likely option(s)
Imo, Rex & Pyra/Mythra, Melia, Riki, Seven, Cinderace, Inteleon, Travis, and Monster Hunter.

A Super Mario character is a possibility, but it's so slim that I wouldn't bet even a penny on it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Monolith is working on BotW2. XC3/XDE could only get a Metroid Prime 4-esque announcement.
They have their other new game that we only have art for and we know they were recruiting for back in 2017.
Not that I see that getting a reveal anytime soon lol

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Do you want my honest opinion? I have zero ****ing clue who the next fighter is. It could be a character like Waluigi/Geno to coincide with the Mario 35th anniversary. It could be an advertising character like Pokemon to coincide with Crown Tundra releasing next month. It could be someone off the wall like Master Chief. It could be someone expected like Ryu Hayabusa. It could even be someone from a smaller franchise like Reimu.

We have zero trails or clues that tell us who FP7 is and it's just free-for-all speculation at this point. That's why people are speculating more on when FP7 will be revealed rather than who it is lol.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I do think that potential shadowdrops/announcements for more low key games are a bigger factor than anything else when it comes to the Smash reveal being pushed back. Those feel far more crucial to both get out at certain times and to receive a decent portion of the spotlight on social media. If a Sakurai Presents does happen next month I suspect it will be that a genuine gap between those kind of reveals has emerged on Nintendo's schedule.

As far as Fighter 7 themselves, the toxicity will depend less on first party or third party and more if the one in question has enough broad hype to counteract the backlash against them. If its seen as too "obscure" (whether its Nintendo or not) and torches and pitchforks will be out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My predictions are either Monster Hunter or Travis Touchdown.

Hoping it is Phoenix Wright or Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They have their other new game that we only have art for and we know they were recruiting for back in 2017.
Not that I see that getting a reveal anytime soon lol
I didn't want to be the one to burst Rie's bubble because at this point, it'd be kinda rude of me, but yeah, anything mainline Xenoblade Chronicles related is gonna be pretty far off in the future.

TheBeastHimself

I'm sorry but if the 7th DLC character is going to be "here's the Pokemon starter of the generation," I think that would be incredibly lame (in my awful opinion, I know). I know most people in this thread don't like to talk bad about other characters, but I'm being as blunt as possible, that would suck if we waited months for a shill Pokemon promotional. They'd be forced to be a starter too, so not even the cooler Pokemon of the generation have a shot.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Character speculation has largely fallen under a matter of deciding "when" rather than "who" st this point.

Things are changing constantly, so there hasn't been much of a lasting consensus for who's most likely.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s honestly up in the air at this point

but if I had to make random educated guesses:
  • Crash. Heavily rumored.
  • a League of Legends Champion. That rumor has yet to be debunked and given the timing, it would have to happen after Min Min who was already being worked on at the time of the rumor
  • Neku. Sudden surge in TWEWY promotion and rumors of a sequel imminent.
  • random first party. Rex? Elma? Octoling?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm sorry but if the 7th DLC character is going to be "here's the Pokemon starter of the generation," I think that would be incredibly lame (in my awful opinion, I know). I know most people in this thread don't like to talk bad about other characters, but I'm being as blunt as possible, that would suck if we waited months for a shill Pokemon promotional. They'd be a forced to be a starter too, so not even the cooler Pokemon of the generation have a shot.
Hey, a lot of people like Pokemon and would be thrilled to get another one. I wouldn't be terribly excited myself, but even I think there would be real value to one if they were fun enough to play. Heck Mewtwo's one of my favorites and I haven't played a mainline Pokemon game in almost 20 years.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm sorry but if the 7th DLC character is going to be "here's the Pokemon starter of the generation," I think that would be incredibly lame (in my awful opinion, I know). I know most people in this thread don't like to talk bad about other characters, but I'm being as blunt as possible, that would suck if we waited months for a shill Pokemon promotional. They'd be forced to be a starter too, so not even the cooler Pokemon of the generation have a shot.
I'd be disappointed too, especially since I really don't like the two starters they would potentially go with. I'd be happy to let the tension go and play someone new on a new stage though.

EDIT: Though I suppose this mindset does make Rillaboom a pretty nice surprise with my mindset since I don't think its even a candidate and its the only one I actually like. lol

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Hey, a lot of people like Pokemon and would be thrilled to get another one. I wouldn't be terribly excited myself, but even I think there would be real value to one if they were fun enough to play. Heck Mewtwo's one of my favorites and I haven't played a mainline Pokemon game in almost 20 years.
I'm not anti-Pokemon, I miss when Pokemon picks for Smash were creative like you've stated with Mewtwo. But at some point, it became some unwritten rule that every Pokemon who gets into Smash has to be a starter, which completely negates any creativity offered from that region's games. There are so many awesome Pokemon in each generation, but it's always "yeah, throw the starter in there." Like, what happened to picks like Mewtwo, Lucario, and Jiggly?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm not anti-Pokemon, I miss when Pokemon picks for Smash were creative like you've stated with Mewtwo. But at some point, it became some unwritten rule that every Pokemon who gets into Smash has to be a starter, which completely negates any creativity offered from that region's games. There are so many awesome Pokemon in each generation, but it's always "yeah, throw the starter in there." Like, what happened to picks like Mewtwo, Lucario, and Jiggly?
I do admit that given the vast amounts of Mons from various generations that it is a pity that it feels so limited to newer titles. I'm only really familiar with Gen 1 and a bit of 2 and both of those seem like they have loads of potential fighters that could be really interesting.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Check this out.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I pick Klonoa, Geno, Crash Bandicoot, Travis Touchdown and Phoenix Wright.
Crono, Paper Mario, Reimu, Phoenix Wright, and Sora.

I know that'd be two SE characters, but Chrono Trigger and Kingdom Hearts are both amazing and there's no way I'd be able to pick one over the other, so both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom