• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
So we can assume based on Min min's Pack.

Ver 9.0.0
CP7 available
Mii Costume 1
Mii Costume 2
Mii Costume 3
Mii Costume 4
Mii Costume 5
Mii Costume 6
Character themed tourney

I'm assuming there's a link to the Smash news file numbering?
This tweet has the info.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I assume if you just punch in the URL, anyone could do this as well.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
At this point, the latter. There's just no way they've been working on this character all month and not moved onto CP8/9 at this point.

With how slow Nintendo's news stream is, and the fact we've already seen them hold back stuff for a looooong time, like the Mario direct, CP7 has probably been done and ready to release for awhile if I had to guess.
Given how open Sakurai tends to be about talking about Smash development when it's released after the fact, I wonder if he'll talk about why the road to CP7 was so silent and weird. Nintendo seems to let him have more freedom in talking about that kind of stuff than they do other devs (probably because he doesn't directly work for the company and is a freelance developer).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
One potential positive of Fighter 7 possibly being ready for a while is that it might suggest a shorter gap between it and Fighter 8.

I mean realistically if we do get the former in the next two weeks, I'm not expecting the latter till January at the earliest, but its fun to dream at least.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This tweet has the info.

That's cool.
Thing is, we don't know why they pushed those back. For all we know they couldnt release the fighter cuz it's not actually ready and then they pulled the updates on it.

Shroob

Sup?
That's cool.
Thing is, we don't know why they pushed those back. For all we know they couldnt release the fighter cuz it's not actually ready and then they pulled the updates on it.
If the fighter isn't ready by now, then there's no way they're going to make their 2021 deadline if this keeps up, just saying.

Skepticism is always good and encouraged, but never mistake pessimism for skepticism.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This tweet has the info.

This reminds me of how people used the DOJO to figure out Mr. G&W was coming back, based on the gaps in series icon numbering.

I know it seems crazy to think that he'd be cut nowadays, but with pre-Brawl there was no real precedent of how extensive cuts would be, and a lot of the Melee newcomers weren't overly popular.

Shroob

Sup?
This reminds me of how people used the DOJO to figure out Mr. G&W was coming back, based on the gaps in series icon numbering.

I know it seems crazy to think that he'd be cut nowadays, but with pre-Brawl there was no real precedent of how extensive cuts would be, and a lot of the Melee newcomers weren't overly popular.
....Oh Jesus that digs up a memory lol.

I remember soo many fan rosters which all included "Mr.Game&Watch(BASICALLY CONFIRMED)".

MooMew64

If the fighter isn't ready by now, then there's no way they're going to make their 2021 deadline if this keeps up, just saying.

Skepticism is always good and encouraged, but never mistake skepticism for pessimism.
I'm of the firm belief that if we go any later than the second week of October with CP7's release, then CP7's Sakurai Presents will definitely announce a delay on the pass' end date.

Granted, I don't think that's really at all likely right now, but if you wanna look at the worst case, that's probably what we'll get in that scenario.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Skepticism is always good and encouraged, but never mistake pessimism for skepticism.
Maybe the deadline will have to be pushed back. I wouldnt' like that, but it's still possible for the fighter to be ready in 2020. I still think by mid october we'll know.
I do hope they release 5 characters in 2021, that would make it more interesting. Nintendo's surely getting back on track now right.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
....Oh Jesus that digs up a memory lol.

I remember soo many fan rosters which all included "Mr.Game&Watch(BASICALLY CONFIRMED)".
To be fair, the character was somewhere in the middle, where he wasn't very popular in Melee, but he didn't seem like he'd be first on the chopping block either.

Then when that erroneous "radio interview" claim came out, which said ICs and G&W were cut (and Ridley, Bowser Jr and "Cel-Shaded Link" were in), a lot of people bought into it. Because it's 2006/7 internet. So for a while thoughts were mixed.

But I mean these were the days that there were a sizeable amount of people who thought Marth might get cut. It was a different time.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To be fair, the character was somewhere in the middle, where he wasn't very popular in Melee, but he didn't seem like he'd be first on the chopping block either.

Then when that erroneous "radio interview" claim came out, which said ICs and G&W were cut (and Ridley, Bowser Jr and "Cel-Shaded Link" were in), a lot of people bought into it. Because it's 2006/7 internet. So for a while thoughts were mixed.

But I mean these were the days that there were a sizeable amount of people who thought Marth might get cut. It was a different time.
And Ness.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Then when that erroneous "radio interview" claim came out, which said ICs and G&W were cut (and Ridley, Bowser Jr and "Cel-Shaded Link" were in), a lot of people bought into it. Because it's 2006/7 internet.
And now literally all three of those characters are actually in Smash now.

Clearly, that guy was actually a fortune teller.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Man, the more I hear about Brawl speculation, the more I wish I was old enough to follow it back then. It definitely sounds really different compared to now. Smash 4 was my first speculation scene, and it was...an interesting time, lol. I remember the days of Zoroark speculation and that one fake leak that tried to piggyback off of ESRB and say Blaze the Cat was gonna be our first DLC character.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
At this point, the latter. There's just no way they've been working on this character all month and not moved onto CP8/9 at this point.

With how slow Nintendo's news stream is, and the fact we've already seen them hold back stuff for a looooong time, like the Mario direct, CP7 has probably been done and ready to release for awhile if I had to guess.
Which might be best for the dev team's sanity - sure, CP7's not released, but by all likelihood it's done and CP8's decently far into development already. Min Min's presentation was recorded May 2nd - and she was released June 29th. Beyond Min Min being further beta-tested / bugfixed, I find it rather likely that the dev team at least laid the groundwork for FP7 during that time, and they likely had at least a very rough model for FP7 by late June (or by late July at the latest).

Given how open Sakurai tends to be about talking about Smash development when it's released after the fact, I wonder if he'll talk about why the road to CP7 was so silent and weird. Nintendo seems to let him have more freedom in talking about that kind of stuff than they do other devs (probably because he doesn't directly work for the company and is a freelance developer).
And also since he's a VIP like Miyamoto and Iwata - Sakurai's got a lot of clout himself. Miyamoto also tends to be rather direct about the reasons why he went for X design choice in the games he oversees.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. Not just Ness - given that a few veterans were cut (Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Roy, Pichu) I wouldn't be surprised if Jigglypuff was kinda close to the chopping block too (given that the sleeping ball of destruction was post-game in SSE). Those characters didn't have the 10+ years of sheer inertia (and competitive adding to that inertia) in their favor, so it was "easier" to justify cuts in that environment.

I say "easier" with quotes since many of the cut characters retained small but noticeable fanbases after the fact, especially amongst those that leaned towards a certain game (the Melee fanbase mostly).

Man, the more I hear about Brawl speculation, the more I wish I was old enough to follow it back then. It definitely sounds really different compared to now. Smash 4 was my first speculation scene, and it was...an interesting time, lol. I remember the days of Zoroark speculation and that one fake leak that tried to piggyback off of ESRB and say Blaze the Cat was gonna be out first DLC character.
This is anecdotal, but trust me, it was a different time. Especially since the focus was very much around the hype, and the casual / competitive split was forming around this time. (It got really heated, to the point "FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION NO ITEMS" and "tires don exist" became memes around the time.)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Which might be best for the dev team's sanity - sure, CP7's not released, but by all likelihood it's done and CP8's decently far into development already. Min Min's presentation was recorded May 2nd - and she was released June 29th. Beyond Min Min being further beta-tested / bugfixed, I find it rather likely that the dev team at least laid the groundwork for FP7 during that time, and they likely had at least a very rough model for FP7 by late June (or by late July at the latest).

And also since he's a VIP like Miyamoto and Iwata - Sakurai's got a lot of clout himself. Miyamoto also tends to be rather direct about the reasons why he went for X design choice in the games he oversees.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. Not just Ness - given that a few veterans were cut (Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Roy, Pichu) I wouldn't be surprised if Jigglypuff was kinda close to the chopping block too (given that the sleeping ball of destruction was post-game in SSE). Those characters didn't have the 10+ years of sheer inertia (and competitive adding to that inertia) in their favor, so it was "easier" to justify cuts in that environment.

I say "easier" with quotes since many of the cut characters retained small but noticeable fanbases after the fact, especially amongst those that leaned towards a certain game (the Melee fanbase mostly).

This is anecdotal, but trust me, it was a different time. Especially since the focus was very much around the hype, and the casual / competitive split was forming around this time. (It got really heated, to the point "tires don exist" became a meme)
I remember it being worded differently.

Something that definitely wouldn't fly in modern day internet land.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Man, the more I hear about Brawl speculation, the more I wish I was old enough to follow it back then. It definitely sounds really different compared to now. Smash 4 was my first speculation scene, and it was...an interesting time, lol. I remember the days of Zoroark speculation and that one fake leak that tried to piggyback off of ESRB and say Blaze the Cat was gonna be our first DLC character.
Honestly waking up to smash news every day was great, it kept the train alive in a way.
Kinda think I'm not the only one who liked the updates.

MooMew64

Honestly waking up to smash news every day was great, it kept the train alive in a way.
Kinda think I'm not the only one who liked the updates.
Oh, I totally followed the Dojo, I just wasn't on forums: I was like, a little kid when Brawl came out, so I wasn't on many places of the internet just yet.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh, I totally followed the Dojo, I just wasn't on forums: I was like, a little kid when Brawl came out, so I wasn't on many places of the internet just yet.
Oh ok. Well, tbh I didn't go on the forums as much as I did for the next smash games. All the 'updates' got replaced with speculation :p
Well, also back then character support was different than now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I liked the Brawl era speculation. The DOJO was by far the best pre-release hype builder, with new updates every day and the possibility of just having a newcomer dropped on you. And people were more flippant back then, but they also didn't get all ****ing Pepe Silvia to nearly the same extent they do these days. It was meaner, but at the same time, chiller.

Plus, there was no leaker culture. Leaks, or at least leaks people paid attention to, were few and far between, and there was no **** riding on people pretending to be insiders. Also, people sort of treated things like normal fighting games, where they didn't get all precious about the possibility of cuts and act like you were wishing death upon someone if you suggested a certain character might not make it back.

And yeah, the way people spoke about characters or topics wouldn't fly these days, and before the DOJO started updating regularly the droughts were insane, but there was a lot that I preferred about the general disposition towards speculation then. On top of that, I think we got the best selection of newcomers, and the biggest two megatons to date, being Snake and Sonic.

And having said that, I know it's 2020, and I know Dedede's FS is better now, but I still hold a special place in my heart for the Big Gay Dance.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Potential 6 Mii Costumes with FP7? Imagine if 2 of those 6 are one of the three missing costumes couples from smash 4 (Geno/Chocobo, Hunter/Rathalos and Lloyd/Gil). The meltdowns will go crazy in some threads...

SKX31

Smash Master
let me guess, Brawl Taunts made it popular?
Nope, it was an actual SWF (Smashboards) post.

I misspelled it, but here's Urban Dictionary:

"One day, a disgruntled member of Smash World Forums posted a message in the Melee discussion rooms stating why he thought tier lists were invalid. The topic was "Tires don exits" (sic). It has since become a community joke and can be seen on the various tier-list posts at SWF. SWF administrator Scav later used this as his custom title, further popularizing the saying."

It's really difficult to get a hold of the original message, but I distinctly remember it being a factor around the Brawl era of speculation. With the loudest of the anti-tier crowd saying that Smash's should only be a party game and accusing the more competitive side of being "Stop Having Fun" Guys, and the loudest pro-tier people complaining that the anti-tiers were "scrubs" that didn't get the game at all. An actual thread from 2007:

"= tiers don't exist. Something to do with Brawl I think, and E for All. shrug "

And yeah, the way people spoke about characters or topics wouldn't fly these days, and before the DOJO started updating regularly the droughts were insane, but there was a lot that I preferred about the general disposition towards speculation then. On top of that, I think we got the best selection of newcomers, and the biggest two megatons to date, being Snake and Sonic.

And having said that, I know it's 2020, and I know Dedede's FS is better now, but I still hold a special place in my heart for the Big Gay Dance.
Oh yeaaaah, now I remember. E3 2006, they reveal 5 characters. Next trailer, 5-6 months later: they reveal Fox only. At least we got gameplay footage of the 5 newcomers...

Hoo boy.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Potential 6 Mii Costumes with FP7? Imagine if 2 of those 6 are one of the three missing costumes couples from smash 4 (Geno/Chocobo, Hunter/Rathalos and Lloyd/Gil). The meltdowns will go crazy in some threads...
Chocobo and Gil probably wouldn't cause that much outrage, they'd be like, "oh i expected chocobo to return" or "who the literal **** is gil"

the others, however...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Chocobo and Gil probably wouldn't cause that much outrage, they'd be like, "oh i expected chocobo to return" or "who the literal **** is gil"

the others, however...
What I'm interested in is who would become the new "Most infamous man" after Geno gets Mii'd. It feels like Geno debates are practically ingrained into this thread's DNA. If he get skinned alive to be made into a Mii Costume. who would take his place? A Gen 8 Pokemon, perhaps? I don't like that outcome, not if we keep discussing them with a defeatist, "It's inevitable and I hate it" tone.

It'd be like if Brawl Meta Knight just disappeared into thin air; There's other powerful characters, but nobody has the same kind of meta-changing infamy.

Shroob

Sup?
What I'm interested in is who would become the new "Most infamous man" after Geno gets Mii'd. It feels like Geno debates are practically ingrained into this thread's DNA. If he get skinned alive to be made into a Mii Costume. who would take his place? A Gen 8 Pokemon, perhaps? I don't like that outcome, not if we keep discussing them with a defeatist, "It's inevitable and I hate it" tone.

It'd be like if Brawl Meta Knight just disappeared into thin air; There's other powerful characters, but nobody has the same kind of meta-changing infamy.
I don't think anything could match Geno in that regards.

Whether he gets in, or he gets Mii'd, things will definitely calm down in the debate department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom