• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Doomguy is now a Microsoft rep

"Hello Mr. Spencer, it is I, Masahiro Sakurai, I would like your iconic green FPS character who revolutionized the industry as we know it! Wait what do you mean which one?"

D

Deleted member

I really want Steve, but as all of you taught me, sometimes I need to keep my exceptions in check.

Why do I feel my most wanted characters always have quite low chances? Am I actually a pessimist?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

With Microsoft now owning them and Obsidian, I would go "HA! Now you have to make New Vegas 2!", but I just didn't like The Outer Worlds as much and thus can't trust Obsidian nowadays.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
With Microsoft now owning them and Obsidian, I would go "HA! Now you have to make New Vegas 2!", but I just didn't like The Outer Worlds as much and thus can't trust Obsidian nowadays.
Outer Worlds definitely was disappointing, but part of me hopes that both Bethesda and Obsidian working together might actually result in a Fallout game that is as good as New Vegas.

D

Deleted member

"He's too big!" - :ultridley:

"Too irrelevant!" - :ultkrool:

"Too impossible! Too third-party!" - :ultbanjokazooie:

Do I have to say more?
Those last two were never legitimate objections. I know people said them, but they made no sense for K Rool and Banjo considering we have people like Snake and Sonic in before the wave of 3rd party in Wii U. And we had MUCH older, much more forgotten reps added in Brawl & Wii U than K Rool. I never got that criticism.

The 'too big' criticism was straight from Sakurai himself though. I mean, it wasn't impossible to think that eventually they'd be able to do him right, but Melee, Brawl, and Wii U he said Ridley was too big and people still clamored for him anyway. For the Wii U DLC, I remember specifically he had said no to Ridley and yet people kept hoping for him each DLC release.

It's not so much 'rules' that are being ignored when these characters get added, its delusional fans not listening to why a character wasn't put in and interpreting it as some infallible rule.

D

Deleted member

I really hope the Master Chief vs Doomguy wars don't end up like the Steve vas :ultbanjokazooie: wars.

The Jane Wars are over at least, right?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This reminds of when Activision bought out Blizzard (Well that was a merger instead of a buyout so it is very different but my smash point still stands), So speaking in smash terms I think Microsoft getting a rep does not immediately exclude Bethesda getting a rep (although I do think Beth is unlikely). That is like saying Monolith getting a rep automatically excludes Game freak

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Damn, as if Doom Guy's chances of being in the Fighters Pass could be any more dead than they could possibly be. Rest in R.I.P Doom Guy in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Damn, as if Doom Guy's chances of being in the Fighters Pass could be any more dead than they could possibly be. Rest in R.I.P Doom Guy in Smash Ultimate.
In what way could this possibly affect Doom Guy getting in Smash? Don't give me "Oh Banjo's the one time it was allowed to happen" as you know that's not a real reason

D

Deleted member

How does this hurt Doom Guy's chances? If anything, I say this would slightly increase his chances, because he is owned by a company that is more popular.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't see why that would affect their chances. Doom, The Elder Scrolls, and Fallout may be competing with Minecraft and Halo now, but to say that they couldn't hold their own in such a competition would be to undersell them by quite a bit.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really want Steve, but as all of you taught me, sometimes I need to keep my exceptions in check.

Why do I feel my most wanted characters always have quite low chances? Am I actually a pessimist?
You'll get characters you want when you least expect it. K. Rool and Ridley were my most wanted characters since Melee and I waited 17 years for both of them to get in. Funny enough, they were both back to back reveals from E3 of 2018 to the August Smash Direct of 2018. Never doubt a insane outcome because anything can happen.

How does this hurt Doom Guy's chances? If anything, I say this would slightly increase his chances, because he is owned by a company that is more popular.
This shouldn't effect Doom Slayer's chances for FP2 because FP2 was greenlited sometime in the Summer of last year.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Wai- hold on, WHAT?

That came straight out of nowhere. Microsoft is absolutely enourmous, yes, but I can't imagine that the price tag was cheap in the slightest.

Assuming any negotiations between Microsoft and Bethesda / ZeniMax Media took place during the FP2 negotiation window it could put another dent in Doom Guy's / Dovachkin's chances depending on how the acquisition shaped out at the time. It's difficult to say anything to the positive here since Sakurai couldn't have known 100 % about the talks, and neither would id / Bethesda themselves. Might've actually made the Vault Boy Mii Costume easier to negotiate for, which is probably the strongest (but it's not a strong factor mind) going for that.

And it's certainly possible that the buyout might have no real effect in the slightest.

But Microsoft doesn't own Cuphead
The situation there is kind of murky - Studio MDHR owns the characters and publishing rights it seems, but Microsoft had a hand in funding the IP and has a major say in what should be done with the IP. The creators did seemingly confirm that the Switch port was Microsoft's idea, after all.

I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No one can ever say Microsoft doesn't own enough high quality IPs ever again.
I dunno, after the absolute dumpster fire Fallout 76 was, people may be hesitant to call their IPs "High Quality". The internet is a fickle beast; you can have a thousand good games, but one garbage one can destroy your credit.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So...am I the only one absolutely terrified for the third party characters already in Smash Ultimate?

With Microsoft buying out Bethesda, it feels like we're about to enter an arms race between them and Sony in how many studios they can just buy out. It feels like now that the likes of SEGA, Capcom, Square-Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco, etc are all in danger.

Obviously if Microsoft got one of them, it might not be the end of the world, considering they've been proven to be collaborative with Banjo's inclusion, but like, what if one of them got bought by Sony? That right there feels like a complete RIP to their characters ever appearing in future games.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I dunno, after the absolute dumpster fire Fallout 76 was, people may be hesitant to call their IPs "High Quality". The internet is a fickle beast; you can have a thousand good games, but one garbage one can destroy your credit.
In that sense, it might be the ideal for both parties. Microsoft gets some huge IP's under their banner and Bethesda finally gets the kind of oversight that might improve quality control in the future.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So...am I the only one absolutely terrified for the third party characters already in Smash Ultimate?

With Microsoft buying out Bethesda, it feels like we're about to enter an arms race between them and Sony in how many studios they can just buy out. It feels like now that the likes of SEGA, Capcom, Square-Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco, etc are all in danger.

Obviously if Microsoft got one of them, it might not be the end of the world, considering they've been proven to be collaborative with Banjo's inclusion, but like, what if one of them got bought by Sony? That right there feels like a complete RIP to their characters ever appearing in future games.
Especially if Namco Bandai gets bought out by Sony.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Square Enix in particular would likely be purchased by Sony if given the chance. Which decreases their already difficult chances of getting any character to Smash. And with Final Fantasy XVI being console exclusive to Sony...

Konami, SEGA and Bandai Namco seem more like Nintendo can buy them. Capcom is kinda up in the air, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom