• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
"Here's Kratos for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and also please buy Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale."
-Sakurai, in an alternate dimension.​
Keep in mind, the only reason I even bring that up is due to Sony launching certain games on other platforms (namely Steam).

But yeah, there's a bigger chance of Sakurai actually being named Mashed Potato Soccer Guy in an alternate dimension than Sony and Nintendo collabbing for a promotional Direct on this one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think that they could announce a 3rd Party fighter in a Sakurai Presents.
I’m not so sure about that. So far the only characters to be announced in a Sakurai Presents were both first party (Byleth & Min Min). Three third parties that were shown off in Sakurai Presents (Hero, Banjo & Terry) were already revealed beforehand.

Joker was a shadowdropped Smash Direct-style presentation (the one that showed his full trailer and the stage builder), not a Sakurai Presents per se

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Considering there was probably some incentive from Tencent involved in making Unite a solo presentation, I can definitely see it happening with a LoL character - especially because we haven't received any more news on that Wild Rift port.

Besides Riot and Microsoft, I suppose I could see Activision doing something similar. And Sony, I guess, but that chance is laughably small.
Considering Tencent's M.O. is - to oversimplify: "Throw money, ¥€$ lots of money, at whatever we do." I wouldn't be surprised if they did that with - Oh yeaaaah, Tencent's Vice President did appear in the Unite presentation. There was almost assuredly some incentive involved.

"Here's Kratos for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and also please buy Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale."
-Sakurai, in an alternate dimension.​
"And also, here's Mario for Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale. Do note that his attack strings involve him throwing lots of items at his foes - like his cape, Koopa Shells, and Cappy."

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m not so sure about that. So far the only characters to be announced in a Sakurai Presents were both first party (Byleth & Min Min). Three third parties that were shown off in Sakurai Presents (Hero, Banjo & Terry) were already revealed beforehand.

Joker was a shadowdropped Smash Direct-style presentation (the one that showed his full trailer and the stage builder), not a Sakurai Presents per se
Byleth and Min Min didn't have a direct preceding them, so they weren't announced then. Joker has a stylized presentation and nobody else because Joker blew their presentation budget, forcing them to stick to the livestream format for all future overviews.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I mean, does it really matter if third parties don't "like" their characters being revealed in their own presentation? What are they gonna do, force Nintendo to put a direct together? Put a direct together for them?
Do third parties "like" their games being announced in partner showcases instead of directs?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Say uh doesn’t Gamescom start today?
Certainly this week at least. But again, there's absolutely no chance of there being anything from Nintendo themselves there, since
  1. Nintendo never makes any announcements at Gamescom
  2. They aren't even at this year's Gamescom since it became a digital-only event
The only thing we might get out of Gamescom is some third-party game announcements.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
With how unpredictable things have been this year, it's possible for a third-party to be revealed in a Sakurai Presents. Actually, they might have to do exactly that if the silence continues.

I'm not sure if it ever really mattered if the character was first or third-party though. Byleth and Min Min may have been in a Sakurai Presents, but two is the bare minimum for a pattern.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
There have only been 2 directs with character announcements there have only been 2 character announcements via Sakurai Presents there was even 1 character announcement via Award Show, There was a series announcement at a mini direct so I personally don't think that there is a precedent for when a character could be announced

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
ayo, Im about to go into a coma. Tell me if bravcely shows up
I figured Gamescom would have very little I'd be interested in. Looks like I was right to not watch it. Figure if anything big for Nintendo gets announced, miniscule though the chance of that happening may be, I'll just learn about it here or on YouTube after the fact

7NATOR

Smash Master
Something I Wonder, Do you guys think they Decide the order of the Pass As they Negotiate for the characters (So First characters negotiated are characters first in Pass) or do you think the characters are all Negotiated, then they decide the order after all of them are negotiated

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I get the feeling we're probably waiting until early October for the next character...at least, their release.

The fact that we got a mini-update earlier this month with Small Battlefield is probably an indicator that the main course isn't due for awhile now. This pretty much happened last year: On May 30th, we got a "major" update with no characters, but inclusions of other stuff like VR Mode. We had to then wait exactly two months to get Hero at the end of July. These smaller updates are clearly something the developers are throwing together when it looks like the next fighter is still far off.

So yeah. My prediction is that we'll get the reveal in a Sakurai presentation around the last week of September, and the character will be released a week or two later in October.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Something I Wonder, Do you guys think they Decide the order of the Pass As they Negotiate for the characters (So First characters negotiated are characters first in Pass) or do you think the characters are all Negotiated, then they decide the order after all of them are negotiated
Unless there's more to the story, Hero sort of debunks this. He should've been a base roster character, but was ultimately pushed back to DLC. It's highly unlikely Joker had been negotiated before him.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
wtf why wouldn't they show smash this is outrageous!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom