• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I get the feeling we're probably waiting until early October for the next character...at least, their release.

The fact that we got a mini-update earlier this month with Small Battlefield is probably an indicator that the main course isn't due for awhile now. This pretty much happened last year: On May 30th, we got a "major" update with no characters, but inclusions of other stuff like VR Mode. We had to then wait exactly two months to get Hero at the end of July. These smaller updates are clearly something the developers are throwing together when it looks like the next fighter is still far off.

So yeah. My prediction is that we'll get the reveal in a Sakurai presentation around the last week of September, and the character will be released a week or two later in October.
That sounds pretty reasonable. We got the VR Labo in May, the Hero revealed in June, and then their release in August. That lines up with amiibo theory pretty well, as it implies a release around the late September-Early October range. We could have Small Battlefield as a tie-over, CP7 in September, and a release in October.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually Another question

Do you guys think Nintendo is willing to Pay for more costly Licenses in FP2 compared to FP1, or Vice Versa?

I imagine that when Paying for the rights to use Characters in Smash, I believe they pay the Company license, and it varies depending on the Role of the character in the game. So A Character that's just a Mii Costume would probably have way less cost than Playable character

I Ask because I think When Discussing characters like Crash, Master Chief, Sora, I Imagine characters like those might have a High Price tag for their license. Of course we don't know exactly, and perhaps the Company, even if they usually have high licensing costs, might lower it if they find the benefit of a Smash Inclusion very beneficial.

If you look at the characters in FP1, I have to Imagine that Hero was the most expensive one, due to all the Music issues and having to deal with 3 Separate companies an such. Banjo, despite having to deal with Microsoft, might not have been as expensive considering his current status and stuff. at the least he's probably not near the cost of Chief or Steve

Considering that usually extra season passes usually see Diminishing Returns, Plus with Nintendo not being a company that's usually doing 2-5 Season passes per game, I could imagine the costs not going much higher than they did for FP1. Of course, I ask you guys because you guys might have different opinions

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This might bring up some irritation after what happened last time, but it seems that Grubb says we'll be getting something from the Big N before Tokyo Game Show... Which doesn't change much, to be honest. Still saying September 3rd, just to cut it that close to a year between directs.

In the meantime, I politely request a nickel for every person who says September Partner Showcase in response to this.

D

Deleted member

Sat through the entire Gamescom while working and eating. Such a damn shame Nintendo's missing out on this. At this point I'll be happy if Nintendo just announces one big game for the remainder of this year.
Honestly? The biggest thing they can reasonable announce is FP7 at this point. Literally nothing else is likely even close to being done(Metroid Prime 4 was rebooted and started from scracth, Botw2 is likely not close considering the sheer scope of making a sequel to an open world game, and some of the more prominent 2nd party devs like Alphadream have shut down, etc etc tc)

The only thing that(at least I think)we can reasonably assume is close enough to being finished for a reveal trailer is FP7. Min Min has been out for a couple months now and unless I’m mistaken.. Sakurai and co work on multiple characters at a time. Whoever FP7 is is almost certainly done and ready to go... it’s just a matter of when. And frankly speaking...the wait is slowly tearing at my soul and eating me alive at this rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In the meantime, I politely request a nickel for every person who says September Partner Showcase in response to this.
Here, let me give you mine. 💸

In all seriousness, I just want news on non-Nintendo projects like Wild Rift, Bayonetta 3 and NMH3. At this point, I'd rather expect nothing new for a while and be pleasantly surprised if CP7 or anything else happens.

...I still wonder what the hell Nintendo is gonna show their investors, though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Remember, everyone: The key to shortening the wait is to not care about it. Clear out your backlog. Take advantage of the break to get into some games you couldn't when there were new releases. That kind of stuff.

In the meantime, check out Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, coming to Steam, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4 on November 10th for America, the 12th for Japan, and the 20th for Europe. No, I will not shut up about it until everyone looks into it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Honestly? The biggest thing they can reasonable announce is FP7 at this point. Literally nothing else is likely even close to being done(Metroid Prime 4 was rebooted and started from scracth, Botw2 is likely not close considering the sheer scope of making a sequel to an open world game, and some of the more prominent 2nd party devs like Alphadream have shut down, etc etc tc)

The only thing that(at least I think)we can reasonably assume is close enough to being finished for a reveal trailer is FP7. Min Min has been out for a couple months now and unless I’m mistaken.. Sakurai and co work on multiple characters at a time. Whoever FP7 is is almost certainly done and ready to go... it’s just a matter of when. And frankly speaking...the wait is slowly tearing at my soul and eating me alive at this rate.
Honestly I'd take the guess that FP8 might have some good progress done on them as well, So I wouldn't be surprised to also see a Reveal Trailer for FP8 along with FP7.

As of Right now, Here's my guess at the DLC Progress

FP7: Almost Finished, or even ready to go and be released

FP8: Substantial Progress made, Might have Reveal trailer ready

FP9: Probably starting Development, or at best in the very beginning phases

FP10: Not started

FP11: Not started

D

Deleted member

This might bring up some irritation after what happened last time, but it seems that Grubb says we'll be getting something from the Big N before Tokyo Game Show... Which doesn't change much, to be honest. Still saying September 3rd, just to cut it that close to a year between directs.

Oh my ****ing god if we seriously get a direct not even a day before the anniversary of having no main directs I’m just gonna die.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Remember, everyone: The key to shortening the wait is to not care about it. Clear out your backlog. Take advantage of the break to get into some games you couldn't when there were new releases. That kind of stuff.

In the meantime, check out Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, coming to Steam, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4 on November 10th for America, the 12th for Japan, and the 20th for Europe. No, I will not shut up about it until everyone looks into it.
Speaking of new releases, I wanna recommend Fall Guys and Spiritfarer. Really enjoying both so far.

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet

To make the wait tolerable, I've been occupied with a giant backlog of SNES/GBA games I never got to finish as a kid. It felt like giving closure to a lot of my childhood, so that's been pretty nice.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
To help me wait. I havent been here as much due to having run out of things to speculate about and been doing things outside of the internet notably busy on my new place and outdoor activities such as bonding with my dogs.

Apologies regarding my behaviour the day before. I was kind of having a bad day and it didn't help that it was a crappy day.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
It’s always character talk. How about DLC stages separated from a character? (Fat chance it happens buuuuuuut)

For Mario, there could be a Mario Party board where various mini games pop up, or a stage based on Mario Clash in its red and black glory.

Pokémon, I’ve always wanted to see Unknown Dungeon AKA Cerulean Cave, and Sprout Tower could be a cool addition.

And why not a new Zelda stage with retro themed graphics based on the classic NES games? Or a DK stage based on the minecart levels? Endless possibilities, people!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It’s always character talk. How about DLC stages separated from a character? (Fat chance it happens buuuuuuut)

For Mario, there could be a Mario Party board where various mini games pop up, or a stage based on Mario Clash in its red and black glory.

Pokémon, I’ve always wanted to see Unknown Dungeon AKA Cerulean Cave, and Sprout Tower could be a cool addition.

And why not a new Zelda stage with retro themed graphics based on the classic NES games? Or a DK stage based on the minecart levels? Endless possibilities, people!
Assuming third-party stages are available, I could see a Minecraft stage happening. Maybe a Tetris stage too, but I hear the rights for that are kinda messy.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
[/QUOTE]

Assuming Rex isn't playable I'd like a standalone Xenoblade 2 stage with a bit more music from that game. Also I'd like a Rhythm heaven stage with also more music from the franchise.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
If we're all talking about things we're doing while we're waiting for more Smash DLC, right now I'm working through the Bioshock and parts of the Far Cry series. Also watching a play through of Danganrompa. Ghost of Tsushima is likely up next for me once those games are done. Think Jack, Big Daddy Jason Brody, and Monokuma would all be good picks for Smash now. I actually haven't played Smash in a couple of months. Feels like a good time to take a break. Once my brother gets his switch repairs done I'll probably jump back into things.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A Xenoblade X stage would be fantastic. One of the few games in recent memory with a world that outshines the characters living in it. Any location other than Primordia (already shares Gaur Plain's biome) or New Los Angeles (another cityscape?) would be fantastic.

There's also plenty of level types from recurring franchises that should honestly already be in Smash. We have dozens of 1-1 Grass Plains and Jungle World Level 1 but the only Bowser's Castle is part of the awful Paper Mario stage, there's no Minecart DK level, etc. A proper Wario Land level is much needed - it's a million seller franchise that forms Wario's origins and half his history and it's got a single song. Awful.

Honestly I think stage selection in Smash is actually really weak, and Ultimate just highlights it by showing all the different variations of the same idea they've iterated on over and over.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

For third parties I’d like to see: Minecraft, Resident Evil & Undertale. Replace Minecraft with a more fully realized Monster Hunter stage if Steve becomes playable. I definitely think Minecraft deserves some representation in Smash; I’d like Steve to be playable but if we can’t get that then a stage would be great.

I’d like further representation for RE & Undertale too. I’d kill to have more of Undertale’s amazing OST in Smash.

For first parties I’d like: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Golden Sun & Rhythm Heaven.

Donkey Kong’s stages in Ultimate are pretty trash tbh. I hate how small they are. A new DK stage is much needed & giving TF some love would be a good way to do it.

If Golden Sun & Rhythm Heaven can’t get a character then a stage would be a good way to give them some more representation.
If we're all talking about things we're doing while we're waiting for more Smash DLC, right now I'm working through the Bioshock and parts of the Far Cry series. Also watching a play through of Danganrompa. Ghost of Tsushima is likely up next for me once those games are done. Think Jack, Big Daddy Jason Brody, and Monokuma would all be good picks for Smash now. I actually haven't played Smash in a couple of months. Feels like a good time to take a break. Once my brother gets his switch repairs done I'll probably jump back into things.
I’m playing through Ghost of Tsushima right now. I like it but the missions are pretty repetitive & there’s not a lot of level design variety. However, it has the prettiest open world I’ve ever seen in a game. I keep finding myself stunned by the visuals which almost never happens to me. I’m almost done with Act 2, but I’d give it like an 8/10 so far.

I hope you’re liking Far Cry. I reeeeally love those games. 3, 4 & Blood Dragon were so mych

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Alright, I just got off the phone with my super secret insider contact from Capcom. They disclosed to me that the company is getting a fighter to promote a recent product in one of their more mature series. The fighter is a pair of twins born from traitorous father, thrust into their destiny to fight creatures of the night...
It's the Wesker kids from Netflix's Resident Evil.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A Xenoblade X stage would be fantastic. One of the few games in recent memory with a world that outshines the characters living in it. Any location other than Primordia (already shares Gaur Plain's biome) or New Los Angeles (another cityscape?) would be fantastic.

There's also plenty of level types from recurring franchises that should honestly already be in Smash. We have dozens of 1-1 Grass Plains and Jungle World Level 1 but the only Bowser's Castle is part of the awful Paper Mario stage, there's no Minecart DK level, etc. A proper Wario Land level is much needed - it's a million seller franchise that forms Wario's origins and half his history and it's got a single song. Awful.

Honestly I think stage selection in Smash is actually really weak, and Ultimate just highlights it by showing all the different variations of the same idea they've iterated on over and over.
I'd be totally fine with Primordia if it means we get some of the awesome wildlife such as the Everlasting Millesaurs and a pack of Grexes running in the background along with maybe some Cinnicula and Levitaths. And despite being aesthetically similar to gaur plains it still has it's identity with the large Talon Rock spires in the background.

Also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom