• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well it's not a girl (or a boy) so I'm not sure why. Must have been an oversight.

EDIT: I do agree that Amaterasu would be way better. Though I'm not sure either character is a lesbian in regards to their respective games...Since Zacian can't breed would that make it asexual?
EDIT EDIT: The Pokédex entry also doesn't make any sense since Zacian and Zamazenta seemed to have been forgotten with time.
Well Ammy does has a biological son, so she at least has a mate... or at least that's what Issun thinks.
amaterasu_and_chibiterasu_by_midnightnightshade-d4o0e5t.jpg

As for Zacian being female and not having a coded gender, no legendary has a coded gender regardless of if they are stated to in lore or not. I believe it's originally done for the purposes of preventing breeding, but now it's kinda just there for tradition since we now have Manaphee breeding Phionne.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is gonna bug me. You can't both have and not have a gender. Is Zacian a girl and GameFreak forgot to code it in? Is Zacian genderless and the Pokédex entry is an oversight?

TELL ME GAMEFREAK! I MUST KNOW!
I wouldn't dwell on it. They did the same thing with Lunala, implying that it was the female evolution of Cosmog.

Basically, Game Freak is stuck between wanting to assign genders to Legendaries and keeping the tradition of Legendaries being genderless. Their solution so far is pretty much telling fans that they're female in the Pokedex entries while labeling them as genderless. So yeah, everything is crystal clear.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is gonna bug me. You can't both have and not have a gender. Is Zacian a girl and GameFreak forgot to code it in? Is Zacian genderless and the Pokédex entry is an oversight?

TELL ME GAMEFREAK! I MUST KNOW!
Well it's not a girl (or a boy) so I'm not sure why. Must have been an oversight.

EDIT: I do agree that Amaterasu would be way better. Though I'm not sure either character is a lesbian in regards to their respective games...Since Zacian can't breed would that make it asexual?
EDIT EDIT: The Pokédex entry also doesn't make any sense since Zacian and Zamazenta seemed to have been forgotten with time.
Sword Lesbian is a joke in the LGBT community, though in Ammy's case, she gets VERY affectionate to big breasted women in her game iirc, and I'm not talking about Issun being a perv

I mean, gender's a spectrum irl and there's plenty of animals that are LGBT and don't conform to typical gender roles of that species, you're thinking of sex, which is seperate
Well Ammy does has a biological son, so she at least has a mate... or at least that's what Issun thinks.
View attachment 283610

As for Zacian being female and not having a coded gender, no legendary has a coded gender regardless of if they are stated to in lore or not. I believe it's originally done for the purposes of preventing breeding, but now it's kinda just there for tradition since we now have Manaphee breeding Phionne.
Chibi's actually a reincarnation like how Shiranui didn't breed to give us Ammy, he reincarnated into her

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is actually not true. The Forces of Nature are all male. I didn't check all of them(EDIT: I'm referring to the Legendaries as a whole, not The Forces of Nature specifically), but I think they might be the only ones though.

Since the data is inconsistent, and the Pokédex is referencing a legend about Pokémon that are painted as so obscure they even got replaced with humans in later versions of the legend, I'm just going to assume that the legends the Pokédex speaks of are false. The one about them being rivals seems to be false as well since there's no hint of that when the Pokémon actually do show up.

Last edited:

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
This is actually not true. The Forces of Nature are all male. I didn't check all of them(EDIT: I'm referring to the Legendaries as a whole, not The Forces of Nature specifically), but I think they might be the only ones though.
Latios and Latias have genders too. Latios is male and Latias is female.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Chibi's actually a reincarnation like how Shiranui didn't breed to give us Ammy, he reincarnated into her
I don't remember that ever being stated.
In Okami they outright say "Yeah Shiranui and Ammaterasu are one and the same" considering he dies and thus reincarnates but Chibiterasu only refers to Ammy as his mother and I don't think Ammy is ever implied to have died in Okamiden?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
In Okami they outright say "Yeah Shiranui and Ammaterasu are one and the same" considering he dies and thus reincarnates but Chibiterasu only refers to Ammy as his mother and I don't think Ammy is ever implied to have died in Okamiden?
We never see Ammy at all in Okamiden so either she reincarnated as Chibi and all the characters who're able to speak simply assume Ammy had a kid or Ammy's a ****ing deadbeat parent

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pokemon is weird with gender sometimes. Some legendary pokemon do have genders, like Heatran or the Latis, but they're always legendaries with weaker stats. Mythical pokemon and mascot legendaries have so far never had coded genders, even though some of them have implied genders through their dex entries (most notably Solgaleo/Lunala and Zacian/Zamazenta).

Part of it might be that they want to have a certain level of mystery surrounding these pokemon. Suggesting but not outright confirming a gender could suggest that the legends around them have been warped by time and may not be entirely accurate. Or maybe they just don't want a pokemon with 680 or more BST to have a gender for some arbitrary reason, idk.

...Anyway Gamefreak, if you're going to be screwing with the national dex can you at least recon the Nidorans into one species please? No? Okay.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Chibi is Ammys biological son. I remember in the past, people speculated Ammys mate was a person that could change into a wolf named Oki

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Pretty sure that they didn't delve very deep into Chibi's background at all. Issun wonders about that for a moment and that's it.
I mean, all the children of the Okami gods call him "Child of the Great Sun" So id assume the children of the gods Ammy helped would know if she had a kid or not

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Another thing with the Genderless trait of Legendaries is that other Pokemon media have given them genders. PMD for instance, despite also treating the Legendaries as Genderless in gameplay, refers to Darkrai, Dialga, Kyurem, Keldeo, and Yveltal as male while Virizion is female in the story. The latter in particular is even a part of a minor plot point, so it's not an offhand detail or writing flub but a part of the character. So them being genderless may just be a feature of the gameplay rather then a reflection of the lore, they can be a gender story-wise as nothing prevents them from being such.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I am literally playing Okami for the first time rn can y'all don't??
Or at least put spoiler tags please...
Chibiterasu only ever appears in the sequel. And since Kamiya himself is not the biggest fan of the game, its canonicity for any potential future games is a bit doubtful. There isn't really anything here that spoils Okami.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Chibiterasu only ever appears in the sequel. And since Kamiya himself is not the biggest fan of the game, its canonicity for any potential future games is a bit doubtful. There isn't really anything here that spoils Okami.
Okay thanks for clarifying ^^

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Another thing with the Genderless trait of Legendaries is that other Pokemon media have given them genders. PMD for instance, despite also treating the Legendaries as Genderless in gameplay, refers to Darkrai, Dialga, Kyurem, Keldeo, and Yveltal as male while Virizion is female in the story. The latter in particular is even a part of a minor plot point, so it's not an offhand detail or writing flub but a part of the character. So them being genderless may just be a feature of the gameplay rather then a reflection of the lore, they can be a gender story-wise as nothing prevents them from being such.
I think it's solely to drive the point that these fabled beasts are ****ing deities who care little for mortal conventions. Can't be for breeding purposes considering that revolves around egg groups more than the Pokemon's sex as seen with gendered mons that aren't breedable and genderless mons that are still able to breed. It's like how a lot of legendaries have Pressure, it's to enhance the lore because if you ended up encountering a literal god on the streets, you'd get nervous as hell too

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Anyway Gamefreak, if you're going to be screwing with the national dex can you at least recon the Nidorans into one species please? No? Okay.
It seems Pokémon Home still has the National Dex (which sounds like another reason why the dex cut is questionable but whatever), so keeping them separate to keep the numbers the same is still important.

EDIT: Ya' know what I would do? I would drop the gender signs from the names, and have their Pokédex entries say something like "As the first Pokémon with extreme gender differences, they were originally thought to be different Pokémon. This mistake was never removed for fear of corrupting the database".

It's like how a lot of legendaries have Pressure, it's to enhance the lore because if you ended up encountering a literal god on the streets, you'd get nervous as hell too
Ironically, Pressure is a pretty bad ability so giving them pretty much anything else would be more threatening.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The Robin/Lucina thing from July 14, 2014 (the day I joined btw!) was also announced on a Friday iirc

though to be fair... didn’t one of these insiders say something about lightning striking twice?
The lightning strikes twice thing was from Zell. I don't follow the Era thread everyday but I remember him saying it was referencing the Indies Showcase and the supposed Direct for the 28th, which maybe was the Partner Showcase from yesterday and he just got bad info or leakbait. I recall someone saying a few pages ago that he was still adamant about something happening on Friday.

You joke, but as a supporter, her getting a new game makes me twice as scared for a Puyo Spirit event.
I guess is a double edge situation. A new game could align with a potential Arle reveal for the Fighter Pass 2, but it could also led to a spirit event. Well, this applies to any character to be fair, but I understand you.

I'd rather have Kiryu but I'd be totally okay with Arle, I don't know much about her but I think she would be neat.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
View attachment 283610

Plenty of Legendaries have genders. Latias and Cresselia are always Female, and the Forces of Nature and Latios are always Male. Heatran, Kubfu, and Urshifu can also be Male or Female.

SKX31

Smash Master
I wonder if any third party companies would have issues with their character randomly being dropped in a Sakurai Presents as opposed to get a more traditional reveal in a Direct.
That question's difficult to answer conclusively: for example, DQ XI S was (re)announced at TGS 2018 and showcased in the February 2019 Direct, quite a few months before :ulthero: critted and RNG-menued his way through Dharkon's minions and into the Smash roster. And Hero was the FP1 character (hell, even DLC overall) that most pushed a specific game. What with Tockles being a standalone Spirit and the inclusion being centered around XI S.

It's also difficult to say which companies specifically would prefer to push a game and a character announcement together in the same Direct, but two possible hypotheoretical examples would be Microsoft with Chief and Tencent with a LoL character.

Also:

#NintendoIPExpansion

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
That question's difficult to answer conclusively: for example, DQ XI S was (re)announced at TGS 2018 and showcased in the February 2019 Direct, quite a few months before :ulthero: critted and RNG-menued his way through Dharkon's minions and into the Smash roster. And Hero was the FP1 character (hell, even DLC overall) that most pushed a specific game. What with Tockles being a standalone Spirit and the inclusion being centered around XI S.

It's also difficult to say which companies specifically would prefer to push a game and a character announcement together in the same Direct, but two possible hypotheoretical examples would be Microsoft with Chief and Tencent with a LoL character.

Also:

#NintendoIPExpansion
Lunchable confirmed for Smash, calling it now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... how likely would you rate a shadow drop announcement tomorrow?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So... how likely would you rate a shadow drop announcement tomorrow?
The odds are negligible, and that's only because you can never really be sure with this kinda thing.

Of a Direct or a Sakurai presentation? Not very likely.

Some kind of Twitter announcement? I could see it happening
Maybe they'll let us know who that guy over there was.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Considering there was probably some incentive from Tencent involved in making Unite a solo presentation, I can definitely see it happening with a LoL character - especially because we haven't received any more news on that Wild Rift port.

Besides Riot and Microsoft, I suppose I could see Activision doing something similar. And Sony, I guess, but that chance is laughably small.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If it’s a full on direct that day: 15%
if it’s an announcement OF an announcement for the actual direct to be on the 31st: 45%
If anything I think it'll be a Sakurai presents. Even then I have my doubts for an announcement. I'm thinking we'll get it in September coinciding with amiibo theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom