• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While it's be fun, it almost certainly wouldn't happen just from a logistics standpoint. Kirby having a special move unique to each character is already enough of a development hellhole for Sakurai, so having to make 80+ fully unique Glory KO animations would be insane.
Oh yeah, even if they were to attempt it, there would be a lot of characters who share animations at the very least. Like, all of the Fire Emblem characters and such would have the same one. Even that'd still be quite a lot.

EDIT: Although it does have a huge leg up on Kirby's mechanic in that it's just visual. There's no balancing to have to deal with, just programming it all in and animating it. Still a lot, but a lot better than the Copy Abilities' work load.

Then maybe just the characters mentioned in the original post?
Well then it'd just be incomplete.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Oh yeah, even if they were to attempt it, there would be a lot of characters who share animations at the very least. Like, all of the Fire Emblem characters and such would have the same one. Even that'd still be quite a lot.

Well then it'd just be incomplete.
But why though? There's really no reason to do a select few unless it's something like Palutena's Guidance or the Snake Codec.

Like.. imagine if Kirby only got copy abilities from a select few characters. That would just be weird imo
What I mean is...have a normal Glory K.O. animation for other characters and then special ones for certain characters.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What I mean is...have a normal Glory K.O. animation for other characters and then special ones for certain characters.
That would be a good way to account for non-human body types if they were going to make the Glory K.O. animation a bit more specific than something like Ridley's Skewer.

EDIT: I just thought of a really terrible one. If both Ice Climbers are present, he uses the AI one to launch the player controlled one.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Looks like I didn't express myself very well. I never wanted to say they have no qualities other than violence. Violence isn't even something you can consider as a quality.
I was never talking about the quality of this games anyways, they were both revolutionary in their genre just from a technical standpoint. I was talking about soul. Mortal Kombat and Doom don't feel like themselves if you remove the violence, and I think any true fan of them wouldn't want to see them in Smash without the violence. If you would want to see them anyways, you're not a true fan in my eyes.

It's probably best to not go with the "no true Scotsman" fallacy. (in this case, "no true fan of Mortal Kombat or Doom would want them to be toned down")

It's the kind of logic that people used to claim Ridley shouldn't be in Smash. ("Metroid's all about isolation - no true Metroid fan would want Smash to include any Metroid characters other than Samus, since that would go against what Metroid's about" - I can't remember the exact argument that people used, since it's been a while, but it was something along those lines) It didn't make sense to me in that case, and it doesn't make sense to me here.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I still don't see the violence issue with most of the MK kast, especially for Scorpion and Sub-Zero.
If Scorpion is using his spear, swords, teleporting around and using fire attacks he's fine, his most famous fatality is literally just breathing fire.
If Sub-Zero is using his cryomancy to make various ice weapons, ice balls, ice clones and slide about he's fine, you wouldn't get his most famous fatality (the Spine rip), but you'd still get something neat like his Injustice 2 super which I'd honestly prefer.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Random thoughts but I just imagined Kirby saying "Get over here" and now Scorpion is my most wanted.
I feel like Kirby is sometimes enough to count as a primary reason for why we need certain characters.

Imagine him screaming "Objection!", using Dante's weapons, petting 2B's Pod, sporting Sora's spiky hair or placing Puyos around.

No matter how much Smash changes, Kirby will probably be best boy forever.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think a good way of referencing the fatality would be in taunt and victory animations. I've read a lot that Fatality could be reference in final smash, but I think that Scorpion final smash should be something similar to Min min or Hero where a bunch of Ninjas and other MK characters beat the opponent. The fatality could be reference in taunt through animations. For example, one of his taunt could be him removing his mask and showing his skull like he do before his original fatality. Maybe they could do something funny for a victory animation and having him transforming into a penguin like his animality in MK 3. Another one of his victory animations could be his friendship from MK 11.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Imagine if Doom's Protagonist had a Side Special called Glory K.O. It'd usually be a normal command grab, but if you grabbed an opponent who has reached 100%, the grab becomes more powerful, and there's a special character specific animation that plays. For Example:
:ultmario:pulls his hat down over him, then throws the hat
:ultluigi:steals the Poultergust, and uses the plunger grab to slam him into the ground
:ultduckhunt:tosses the dog, and shoots him with an NES Zapper
:ultbowserjr:dumps the kid out of their Koopa Clown Car, then activates a punching glove to launch them away
:ultridley:grabs him by the tail and repeatedly slams him onto the ground
In my opinion, I think Doom Guy's glory kill should work like Little Mac's K.O. uppercut where it charges over time and is activated with Neutral Special.

I think a good way of referencing the fatality would be in taunt and victory animations. I've read a lot that Fatality could be reference in final smash, but I think that Scorpion final smash should be something similar to Min min or Hero where a bunch of Ninjas and other MK characters beat the opponent. The fatality could be reference in taunt through animations. For example, one of his taunt could be him removing his mask and showing his skull like he do before his original fatality. Maybe they could do something funny for a victory animation and having him transforming into a penguin like his animality in MK 3. Another one of his victory animations could be his friendship from MK 11.
Fatalities could work where if you take the last opponents stock, they reappear in a dizzy state where you have a chance to pull off a fatality.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For Scorpion and/or Sub Zero, what I would do for Fatalities is when the final zoom in occurs (or red sparks in the last minute of the match) the opponent would get dizzy instead of getting launched, prompting the Scorpion or Sub Zero player with the iconic "Finish Him!". If you input the right commands, you get a Fatality, which is an insta-kill. Alternatively, you can taunt, which gives you a Friendship, which transitions to the win screen with a cute animation, but only works in 1v1 stock battles for obvious reasons. Hilariously, Friendships being easier would probably make them more common competitively.

The only issue I see with this is that it would give Scorpion a bit of an advantage since the red sparks/final zoom aren't 100% accurate. I personally would try to make sure that they were before doing something like this.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Final Smash and Fatalities wouldn't be the same thing. I like CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash 's idea for the Final Smash.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In my opinion, I think Doom Guy's glory kill should work like Little Mac's K.O. uppercut where it charges over time and is activated with Neutral Special.
Nah it shouldn't be a comeback mechanic. The character should be overbearing without one, so with one, it'll probably just make the best play against him to be to camp him, and that's a bit antithetical to what Doom is.

EDIT: Granted the Glory K.O. would be a decent burst option that heals him a bit, but that's not much worse than taking a bunch of damage from Inciniroar's Alolan Whip if you're not careful.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Still a step up from the 70 billionth FE debate
Give it time, the day's only just gotten started! In fact, I do believe a FE debate is our next item on the docket, followed by a spirited discussion on Pokemon, and then the fan favorite topic: Just how likely is Geno?

Then we'll wrap back around to the violence and sexual design debates to start the process all over again! :4pacman:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Give it time, the day's only just gotten started! In fact, I do believe a FE debate is our next item on the docket, followed by a spirited discussion on Pokemon, and then the fan favorite topic: Just how likely is Geno?

Then we'll wrap back around to the violence and sexual design debates to start the process all over again! :4pacman:

You know what? I REJECT THE STATUS QUO!!!!

Let's talk about something we've never talked about: have any of you played Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color, and if so, how many of you want Mono in Smash?

There! That'll spice things up a bit.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Oh it's Fire Emblem time? Ok I'll start.

clears throught

"Fire Emblem bad."

Yeah that is the worst spelling of "throat" I have ever seen. I don't even think I deserve to correct it.

Let's talk about something we've never talked about: have any of you played Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color, and if so, how many of you want Mono in Smash?
The heck's a Magic Pangel?

EDIT: I feel like it's either something adorable or delicious.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
What's nuts to me about Kamek is how close he came to greatness. For a hot second he could have been a playable character in Mario Kart 64 as one of the villains, which would have likely made him more of a well-known antagonist and way more likely to get into Smash as a villain representative of the Yoshi series.
The timeline where Kamek gets in Mario Kart 64 is a weird one

-he becomes a series staple, and is in Smash by Ultimate

-Donkey Kong's ties to Mario don't become strong, and the prior crossovers are probably seen as early installment weirdness.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh it's Fire Emblem time? Ok I'll start.

clears throught

"Fire Emblem bad."

Yeah that is the worst spelling of "throat" I have ever seen. I don't even think I deserve to correct it.

The heck's a Magic Pangel?
I'll... take that as a "no".

Anyway, it's kinda like a combination of Pokemon and Drawn to Life, in that the main gimmick is that you design the monsters that you fight with using the titular "Pengel". While not the main character, Mono is easily the most important, and would make the most sense to include if, by some miracle, the game gets ANY representation in Smash. I can look up gameplay footage for you, if you're interested.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'll... take that as a "no".

Anyway, it's kinda like a combination of Pokemon and Drawn to Life, in that the main gimmick is that you design the monsters that you fight with using the titular "Pengel". While not the main character, Mono is easily the most important, and would make the most sense to include if, by some miracle, the game gets ANY representation in Smash. I can look up gameplay footage for you, if you're interested.
I was correct. It was indeed, adorable. Seems like an interesting game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We could always combine tired old discussions into a new novel ones.

Does the extreme violence of Geno's guns against Fire Emblem characters make him unlikely for the Fighter's Pass?
Does Geno being owned by Square Enix arbitrarily make him a hype character?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think Fire Emblem is done getting new characters in Ultimate, but I could be wrong, one of the FP2 characters might just be one. I'd just want another unique one like Byleth, but one who uses weapons other than a sword as a primary weapon. I couldn't imagine the outrage by some people if we do end up getting another FE character lol.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

You know what? I REJECT THE STATUS QUO!!!!

There! That'll spice things up a bit.
Magic Pengel was great, but I actually preferred Graffiti Kingdom as a whole. I found the worlds and story to be rather charming, and the drawing system was stronger. Plus the action platformer genre appealed to me more than the RPG battles.

I don't think I've ever considered it for Smash, especially since the appeal is being able to create your own creatures, but I have very fond memories of both games as I won the first one in a contest that GameNow held, along with a set of specially-branded twisting crayons that I wish I still had saved. Heck, I might, if I dig hard enough.

That said, I cannot think of a shopkeeper in a videogame without thinking "Come see my beautiful fish - tasty! Yummy!"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Does the extreme violence of Geno's guns against Fire Emblem characters make him unlikely for the Fighter's Pass?
Yes, unless he’s Goku’s Echo.

YOU ASKED FOR THIS CURSED DISCUSSION SO I MADE IT MORE CURSED. YOU’RE WELCOME.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Reminds me of the time I asked some Magic the Gathering players if placing one of their monsters into attack mode would ban their opponent to the shadow realm, and allow them to collect two prize cards instead of one.

Does Geno being owned by Square Enix arbitrarily make him a hype character?
Yes, but not arbitrarily. It's just that all SquareEnix characters are hype worthy. :p

No but seriously, they have a lot of cool characters, from Geno to Sora to Crono.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If we got an Arc System Works character, would you rather see a historic NES-era character like Kunio or Bimmy Billy and Jimmy Lee, a character from one of their fighting games like Sol Badguy or Ragna the Bloodedge, a more recent beat-em-up character like Kyoko or Misako from River City Girls, or someone else?

(I'm not familiar with their line-up beyond beat-em-ups and fighting games)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yes, but not arbitrarily. It's just that all SquareEnix characters are hype worthy. :p

No but seriously, they have a lot of cool characters, from Geno to Sora to Crono.
Regardless, I feel like there's now a crowd that supports Geno not getting in on his own merit, but just because he's not first-party. Not Brawl-era Geno supporters mind you, they'd want Geno IN SPITE OF Square-Enix, not BECAUSE OF.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
If we got an Arc System Works character, would you rather see a historic NES-era character like Kunio or Bimmy Billy and Jimmy Lee, a character from one of their fighting games like Sol Badguy or Ragna the Bloodedge, or someone else?

I'll take a GG or BB character because I'm far more familiar with them and I love the content they'd bring.
Kunio and the Lee bros are neat, but they're not Big Blast Sonic or MUST DIE neat.

SKX31

Smash Master

That depends on where you stand on the controversial scene where, y'know, Medeus threatens Mallow's family by siccing his army of Dragons on them in order to hide the fact that he's working with Xenahort and Paper Bowser Jr. on their shared quest to use Byleth's Sword of the Creator to turn Geno into a book so that the trio of villains can convert Nintendo and Square-Enix's characters into Shrödinger's Paper characters made out of Paper and Nobodies. Thus preventing Doomguy, JC Denton and Marth from lending the heroes aid and further isolating Sora from the others. Causing Geno to mistake Byleth for a bad guy.

And as you all know, that was only step 1 out of 16 on Xenahort's totally-foolproof-and-not-idiotic plan.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we got an Arc System Works character, would you rather see a historic NES-era character like Kunio or Bimmy Billy and Jimmy Lee, a character from one of their fighting games like Sol Badguy or Ragna the Bloodedge, or someone else?

DarthEnderX DarthEnderX crashes through a wall

"Kunio-Kun!"

Regardless, I feel like there's now a crowd that supports Geno not getting in on his own merit, but just because he's not first-party. Not Brawl-era Geno supporters mind you, they'd want Geno IN SPITE OF Square-Enix, not BECAUSE OF.
I've...never seen that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom