• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Miis are a good idea. It's fun to screw around and create your own personalized sleep paralysis demons. The problem is that you don't have enough freedom with the demons. You can only customize appearance and the specials, and they're all the same aside from that. Give me customizable normals, unique taunts, mix-and-match concepts, all that jazz. Oh, and more general Miis too; Let me make my own characters instead of pretending I got who I wanted.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The Sans costume made the existence of the Mii Fighters more than worthwhile.
It sorta feels like an extension of the Echo Fighters, characters that only made it in as playable in Smash because they made for easy clones with relatively little effort compared to wholly unique fighters. In that sense Sans/Cuphead/Skull Kid/any other costumes I missed are basically Mii Echoes.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A fourth class of Mii Fighter focused on magic is unironically one of my biggest wants out of Smash right now.
Yeah, Viridi and Ashley's costumes just look odd over the swordfighters. They're meant to cast spells, not smack you with a stick. A Mii Caster could be a tricky character to contrast the Gunner's straightforward zoning, much like how the Brawler is solely close-range while the Swordfighter is a more balanced melee fighter.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It sorta feels like an extension of the Echo Fighters, characters that only made it in as playable in Smash because they made for easy clones with relatively little effort compared to wholly unique fighters. In that sense Sans/Cuphead/Skull Kid/any other costumes I missed are basically Mii Echoes.
That's pretty much how I feel about it.

The most elaborate and accurate Mii costumes are actually quite acceptable stand-ins for the actual characters.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Hey you know what? While Prince of Persia is at least a decent subject right now.
View attachment 282837
I’m just saying.
Might as well play Mighty Quest on the app store right now, since it features the character Prince of Persia himself who was updated into the game on August 11, 2020.

another image, in case, it is broken.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Hardly. They're more like the Koopalings or Alph. Echo Fighters have unique animations and voice that show off the character's personality and flair. These Mii Costumes do nothing more than just look like the character. They don't have that character's soul.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
a new mii fighter would 100% be base roster tho

now you wanna know what i think would be really cool? if you could combine moves from multiple mii fighters into one.
what? no, i’m not just saying that because it’s the only way a neku sakuraba mii would work.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Miis are a good idea. It's fun to screw around and create your own personalized sleep paralysis demons. The problem is that you don't have enough freedom with the demons. You can only customize appearance and the specials, and they're all the same aside from that. Give me customizable normals, unique taunts, mix-and-match concepts, all that jazz. Oh, and more general Miis too; Let me make my own characters instead of pretending I got who I wanted.
If we were to keep the generic archetypes, I'd do the following:
  1. Stick what Special Moves the current Mii has on the HUD so that what the Mii can do isn't a mystery to either you or your opponent(s). (I would do this even if we did change up the Mii archetype themes.)
  2. Give the Mii archetypes set playstyles; the Mii Brawler is an all-rounder, the Mii Swordfighter is a zoner, and the Mii Gunner is a projectile zoner.
  3. Visually distance the Mii's movesets away from the other fighters as much as possible. Especially between the Mii Gunner and Samus. Give them their own Mii charm.
  4. Make their Special Moves both visually and mechanically interesting, but remember that the point of the Special Moves is to serve the normal moves, not the other way around.
  5. Allow players to fully customize things that don't need balancing, such as their taunts, victory animations, series classification, victory fanfares, character art poses, etc.
  6. (optional) Allow players to make their own victory fanfares. Implementation would depend on how big their file sizes can be. They could allow you to make just a few and distribute them accordingly.
  7. (optional) Bring back the size mechanics. Height affects range and hitbox size, while weight affects weight, speed (though not a ridiculous amount, just enough to be significant), damage output, and potentially even a few of their normal moves. Implementation would depend on how much dev time can reasonably be spent on this.
EDIT: Also, use the models that are used on the character select screen instead of blacking out the face of the official art for the vs. screen.

On a serious note, I'm not a fan of the name Mii Caster. Mii Spellcaster, though. That I like
That is also acceptable. It's probably what they would go too with since not everyone would get the MMO lingo. lol

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
How they could improve Miis:
-PROPORTIONS
-Make it so the actual Mii’s hair is as detailed as the Smash Bros hair items, so it isn’t limited to in-game items
-series icon and victory theme selection
-neku sakuraba
-mii spellcaster, axefighter, etc

actually, here’s an idea
mii villager
you can create any villager from animal crossing using outfits and also customize their specials, making them look like actual characters

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
What do you mean by this?
yeah, i knew it would be hard to explain.
look at a mii. not a mii fighter, just an average mii.
now look at a mii fighter with any hat equipped which is based off of somebody’s hair. You’ll notice that the hat is much more detailed on the Mii than the Mii’s actual hair.
If they made it so the hair options for the mii were as detailed as that, then you’d have more options that look better.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
yeah, i knew it would be hard to explain.
look at a mii. not a mii fighter, just an average mii.
now look at a mii fighter with any hat equipped which is based off of somebody’s hair. You’ll notice that the hat is much more detailed on the Mii than the Mii’s actual hair.
If they made it so the hair options for the mii were as detailed as that, then you’d have more options that look better.
Eh, I think the Miis are like the Villager in that the extra detail would clash with their design. Maybe I just need to see it done right, but I think that since hair doesn't look so blocky in real life, the more realistic hair textures would just look off on Villager, and the Miis.

EDIT: I wouldn't say no to giving the hair some physics though. Being a lot less static would likely be an improvement, at least for the Miis.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Eh, I think the Miis are like the Villager in that the extra detail would clash with their design. Maybe I just need to see it done right, but I think that since hair doesn't look so blocky in real life, the more realistic hair textures would just look off on Villager, and the Miis.
I get why you’re concerned. We don’t want another Brawl Toon Link. But if you wanna see it done right, open up Smash Bros and start looking at the hats.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I get why you’re concerned. We don’t want another Brawl Toon Link. But if you wanna see it done right, open up Smash Bros and start looking at the hats.
Yeah but the hats are generally of characters that don't have Mii-like hair. They're all hairstyles that either have more detail like Peach, Link, Isaac, etc. Likewise characters that don't like Ashley and Akira also don't have the detail in their wigs.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Yeah but the hats are generally of characters that don't have Mii-like hair. They're all hairstyles that either have more detail like Peach, Link, Isaac, etc. Likewise characters that don't like Ashley and Akira also don't have the detail in their wigs.
Fair enough. Maybe there could be a way to switch between the cartoony hair and the realistic hair? I just hate trying to make a realistic character and they come out as a Kirby character.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yo I'd pay good money for a new kind of Mii Fighter, wouldn't even be mad if it was one of the Fighter Pass lads honestly.

Though imagine in a future Smash game, that instead of just four options per Mii, you get the option to give them any special move in the game. That'd be insane and the best create-a-character ever.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Here is how you improve Mii's, scrap them and put a decent character creator in its place similar to Soul Caliber.

Mortal Kombat has never released in Japan, though. I really, really don't think Nintendo's gonna go for a series that has never appeared in their own home country.
MK games did get released in Japan and often flopped.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Though imagine in a future Smash game, that instead of just four options per Mii, you get the option to give them any special move in the game. That'd be insane and the best create-a-character ever.
Yes, it would be insane. An insane amount of work trying to adapt all those attack animations to the same body proportions.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'd be game for a Mii Caster (that name rolls off the tongue better to me) if entailed getting a Kamek costume.

View attachment 282839

...Yeah, Kamek is a newcomer I've always sort of low-key wanted in Smash...
What's nuts to me about Kamek is how close he came to greatness. For a hot second he could have been a playable character in Mario Kart 64 as one of the villains, which would have likely made him more of a well-known antagonist and way more likely to get into Smash as a villain representative of the Yoshi series.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Yo I'd pay good money for a new kind of Mii Fighter, wouldn't even be mad if it was one of the Fighter Pass lads honestly.

Hey, this is a fun idea.
Saki Amamiya:
side b- fox
up b- pit
down b- corrin
neutral b- fox
And you could actually make Spring Man, Ninjara, and Ribbon Girl proper arms movesets.
Obviously, that could never actually happen. Somebody would die during its production and it would all come to a halt.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
-On the Japan point, I will have to do more research into how Well Mortal Kombat did before CERO came in (I Don't believe it was the most successful). even then though, I do think Mortal Kombat's inclusion would actually add some intrigue to the Pass. I've heard that some in Japan think Mortal Kombat is some Urban Legend, so Smash, which is a big Game in Japan, having this "Banned" Franchise as DLC might provide some intrigue. I Know Injutice 1 was released in Japan and didn't do so well (and DLC Had Scorpion), but The barrier of entry is much wider considering Smash already has alot of customers from the base game. Injustice didn't have that. Of course they might not just care, but it's something to consider
This line of thinking is why Ayumi Tachibana was rejected.

Nintendo and Sakurai have shown they're fine with western-leaning characters and Japan-leaning characters, but they haven't picked anyone with zero to no presence in either region. Everyone in Ultimate is way inward on the scale between Scorpion and Takamaru, with no one veering TOO far from the center, at least outside of legacy characters that don't officially exist in the west like Lucas and Roy (in his canon appearance at least).

And if they did decide to buck that trend as they have in the past, it would probably favor the east more than the west. It's why I think Reimu has a sliver of a chance while an MK rep is way below her.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah I think some of these ideas for Mii fighters are way beyond what the developers would be willing to do. It would be a huge undertaking. It would also just make Miis the most broken fighters ever.

Also I feel like some of you just want Mii Fighters to be a cheap means of getting the fighter of your choice in the game, rather than the Create-A-Fighter that they were supposed to be.

The Sans Mii Costume isn't Sans. It's a Mii Fighter dressed like Sans.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So here's a question for everybody: of all the games on that list, which game(s) do you think are likely to be in Vol 2? I already think Dynasty Warriors is really likely since I'm biased. [/COLOR][/FONT]
I'm not sure about others, but there is no way Neptunia is getting playable character. The series is super niche. Not a single entry earned a million sales afaik. Neptune herself is pretty underwhelming in term of moveset. This is coming from a fan who played most of the games in the series.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about others, but there is no way Neptunia is getting playable character. The series is super niche. Not a single entry earned a million sales afaik. Neptune herself is pretty underwhelming in term of moveset. This is coming from a fan who played most of the games in the series.
No More Heroes and Ace Attorney games don't get a million sales either. And for some reasons, people still think they are likely. But I agree with you, I think they are both unlikely for that reason, and for other reasons (like moveset).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think being a million seller isn't a good way to judge whether a series is successful or not.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think being a million seller isn't a good way to judge whether a series is successful or not.
And even if a game hasn't sold a million, it doesn't mean it can't have millions of fans. Just look up Ace Attorney on YouTube and you'll see videos with millions of views.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Here is how you improve Mii's, scrap them and put a decent character creator in its place similar to Soul Caliber.
I'd rather have the three unique fighters than a bunch of echo fighters myself.
would it kill them to make a premium brawler or premium swordfighter? pls that's all i ask...
"Premium" is pretty subjective, but I think the Altair costume was a really cool addition. I also really like the Martial Artist Gi aesthetically. I wish they would add more types of outfits outside of just characters too, some of them in Wii U were really neat like the Hoodie and Business Suit.
I’m the only one who likes Miis and their concepts huh

I’m telling you guys, they need to bring the proportions feature back. People will like them so much more if you can make them not look like bobbleheads.
As someone that has played as Miis in For and Ultimate, DON'T do that.
The characters were so much worse in For because of that, so many of their multi-hit attacks didn't function as a result of it and their attack power was obnoxiously lower than average for most of their normals. I'm super glad that mechanic was removed, it was a nightmare to balance and made it incredibly difficult to use the characters in the competitive scene.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No More Heroes and Ace Attorney games don't get a million sales either. And for some reasons, people still think they are likely. But I agree with you, I think they are both unlikely for that reason, and for other reasons (like moveset).
Ace Attorney had sold over 7 million copies as of last year, with 6 mainline games, one spinoff, and three Japan exclusive spinoffs, so I'd say that at least one of the games probably broke a million when counting the multiple re-releases.

Not that it really matters to the point that's being argued. Personally though, I think it's clear that while No More Heroes is niche, Neptunia is far nicher, or at least with a general gaming audience - I'm sure the franchise is very popular in anime and otaku circles. And whatever the games might sell, they turn a profit. If anything, I think it's their limited impact/acknowledgement on the gaming front that would impede Smash inclusion more than raw sales numbers.

7NATOR

Smash Master
This line of thinking is why Ayumi Tachibana was rejected.

Nintendo and Sakurai have shown they're fine with western-leaning characters and Japan-leaning characters, but they haven't picked anyone with zero to no presence in either region. Everyone in Ultimate is way inward on the scale between Scorpion and Takamaru, with no one veering TOO far from the center, at least outside of legacy characters that don't officially exist in the west like Lucas and Roy (in his canon appearance at least).

And if they did decide to buck that trend as they have in the past, it would probably favor the east more than the west. It's why I think Reimu has a sliver of a chance while an MK rep is way below her.
Funny you mention Reimu. I actually think Scorpion and Reimu would make good compliments to each other in this regard. Both are Very Centered in their respective regions. It's kind of like Hero and Banjo, except More Extreme in this case

Yeah this is the stated reason why Ayumi was rejected, but I don't think that reasoning can close the book on Scorpion like it did Ayumi. Scorpion and Mortal Kombat in general is much more Iconic and Much more Notable of a character than Ayumi is, both in gaming circles, Casual Circles, even Nintendo Circles. Like i say, it's a character to Character basis. what might kill one character chances might not kill another character chances

I do get though that it might still be hard to justify Scorpion even then. It also doesn't help that Crash is an Option and he actually did really well in Japan back in the day. Still even with that, I do think there are enough Qualities to justfy Scorpion and make him a legit Option for this fighter Pass. Scorpion will sell the pass to the Western Audience (and I believe Mortal Kombat is big in Latin America as well), a character like Reimu can sell the Pass to the Asian Audience. Both can sell on their own too.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Being a million seller isn't a necessity for fame. Castlevania for instance has had only a few million sellers across its history, but it gained a legacy because of how prominent it was in gaming during its heyday and influence afterwards. Similarly, a success of a game is dependent on the expectations of the company. A Pokemon mainline game selling a million would be a failure, but a Metroid game selling that much would be a success.

It's all relative to what the company wants out of the franchise and what the franchise does with its presence. You can be successful or influential without being a huge seller, and Smash is built on franchises big and small that have done so.

Watch this and Crash 4 get ports to the Switch a year from now, when they are pretty much forgotten by the masses. Much like what happened with Spyro last year.
Spyro charted both in the Top 5 Switch games and Top 15 overall in the US in Sept, so I'm not sure where you're getting that it was forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom