• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Spoiler alert:
undefined
I see. So then does it mean that

we're getting a mobile-only Zelda rhythm game to explain what happened in the timeskip between OoT and MM, where Link finds out that the Master Sword is an Aegis that was made to be Hyrule's counterpart to Dream Land's Rainbow Sword - and said mobile game will be mandatory to understand the next four games in the series?

Sounds great!

I can't believe how many people didn't catch that "Everyone is Here!" was just a hint that everyone is Xehanort. Remember how Sakurai's eyes were yellow in the final direct for Smash 4?
Sakurai being a Xehanort would legit be one of the best explanations for how he becomes younger as he ages.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we got an Arc System Works character, would you rather see a historic NES-era character like Kunio or Bimmy Billy and Jimmy Lee, a character from one of their fighting games like Sol Badguy or Ragna the Bloodedge, a more recent beat-em-up character like Kyoko or Misako from River City Girls, or someone else?

(I'm not familiar with their line-up beyond beat-em-ups and fighting games)
I obviously prefer a fighting game character. I guess it's because I'm biased but I'd dare to say that most people thinks of fighting games when it comes to ArcSys.
Other characters would be really cool, but if the character wasn't Sol I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't really complain. ArcSys getting a character would be really cool in the end.

The old age debate returns
I mean nowadays most cartoony characters come from Nintendo IPs, and almost all of them are already in Smash. At this point I don't really get why people says things like this. It's cool to want certain types of characters, but we also have to be somewhat realistic. As others have said the majority of characters are human-esque, specially in the last 10-20? years.

So:
  • Most of cartoony characters are already in, leaving a small selection of realizable characters, which are mostly third party
  • The great majority of remaining popular or requested options are human-esque characters

I don't really think there's much to debate here, in my opinion the why of this is very clear and simple.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

How is Min min a anime character? She's clearly more cartoony. Ryu and Bayo are also cartoon imo. And I don't get why characters art style matters that much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
F i r e E m b l e m...
Build an army. Trust no one.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure how being a cartoon bear has to do with being more unique than a character that looks like a person, but eh, to each their own.
Ironically, they're one of the more basic characters.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I feel this comic has aged like a fine wine:

Anyways, I'm not quite sure how being a cartoon bear has anything to do with being more unique than a character that looks like a person, but eh, to each their own.
Funny how the cartoony characters are sometimes interacting with realistic humans even within their own series too.

Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle | Mario memes ...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Well at least Sgt. Cortez isn't anime so he'd be part of the cereal mascot crew...

Time to split.

Sgt. Cortez small.png

cashregister9

Smash Hero
People keep talking about "Cereal Mascots" but like I can only think of like 2 that have a chance larger than 50%, Crash & Rayman, and I will say that there are Mascot characters that have been talked about in the speculation scene quite a bit, Conker and Klonoa (and Dixie) being the stand out ones that I see pretty often. it's not like this huge untapped market of characters. UNLESS your definition of cereal mascot is "Not Japanese" then Buddy I've got some news for you.

EDIT: My simple definition of "Mascot Character" is a Highly cartoony and Anthropomorphize character designed mainly to appeal to younger crowds

EDIT EDIT: Im a 🤡🤡🤡

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
People keep talking about "Cereal Mascots" but like I can only think of like 2 that have a chance larger than 50%, Crash & Rayman, and I will say that there are Mascot characters that have been talked about in the speculation scene quite a bit, Conker and Klonoa being the stand out ones that I see pretty often. it's not like this huge untapped market of characters. UNLESS your definition of cereal mascot is "Not Japanese" then Buddy I've got some news for you.
It used to be a counter to anime swordsman. Now it's said ironically.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
People keep talking about "Cereal Mascots" but like I can only think of like 2 that have a chance larger than 50%, Crash & Rayman, and I will say that there are Mascot characters that have been talked about in the speculation scene quite a bit, Conker and Klonoa being the stand out ones that I see pretty often. it's not like this huge untapped market of characters. UNLESS your definition of cereal mascot is "Not Japanese" then Buddy I've got some news for you.
Yeah **** these stupid ass realistic human anime characters. We need more Cereal Mascots in this game! It’s a Mascot fighter anyways! We need more characters like THIS:

...wait

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys are giving him a preposterous amount of flak for just saying he’d like a lineup that’s more diverse stylistically.

He’s not saying the first pass was bad, he’s not saying we have to get more cartoony characters, he’s just saying he’d like more of a balance. That seems a fair want to me. Just because it’s not yours doesn’t mean it’s invalid. It’s subjective, that’s what he wants.

Just take it easy, jeez.

D

Deleted member

Considering how ARMS malfunction when a mask isn’t worn I’d say Akira checks out for the body horror part
Honestly that's one of the few things I think woulda been interesting as a mechanic. Like occasionally your mask falling off and being unable to use both arms for a short period. Although then again there's already the stun system in that game so it would kinda be redundant. Feels like very few people actually know that tidbit(hell even I didn't until I went outta my way to look at all the collectables)

Staarih

Smash Master
I think ”anime” is the wrong word used here, but anyway, I too would welcome a non-human character to mix things up. Crash, Rayman and Dixie, sure, but even just a new Pokémon would do it.
Even it it’d end up being humanoid in shape again sigh

Imagine if we got Slime instead of Hero. That’s as non-human as it gets.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You guys are giving him a preposterous amount of flak for just saying he’d like a lineup that’s more diverse stylistically.

He’s not saying the first pass was bad, he’s not saying we have to get more cartoony characters, he’s just saying he’d like more of a balance. That seems a fair want to me. Just because it’s not yours doesn’t mean it’s invalid. It’s subjective, that’s what he wants.

Just take it easy, jeez.
I don't got any problems with the tweet, it's just a preference someone has after all. I was just sharing my viewpoint on that I don't think character art styles really matter as much as the character's gameplay.

It's definitely to each their own. :drshrug:

D

Deleted member

Just take it easy, jeez.
I dunno if we're giving him flak per say, if anything I feel mosta us took this opportunity to talk about our opinion on the dlc and the kinda characters in it(as the previous page kinda shows)

If anything, while I would like a tiny bit more variety in the character lineup, it's not a super big deal to me. I'm fine with whatever.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would like to get more cartoony characters for variety's sake, not that the characters as we're getting them aren't varied as is but it's always cool to see wildly different art styles clashing.

Can you share your sources ? I did try to check this before talking and I only found a 7M sales for the whole franchises history with much more than 6 games (about 20 on Nintendo systems)
There aren't 20 Ace Attorney games, you're probably seeing just ports and re-releases of the first three games.
If we got an Arc System Works character, would you rather see a historic NES-era character like Kunio or Bimmy Billy and Jimmy Lee, a character from one of their fighting games like Sol Badguy or Ragna the Bloodedge, a more recent beat-em-up character like Kyoko or Misako from River City Girls, or someone else?

(I'm not familiar with their line-up beyond beat-em-ups and fighting games)
I'm a retro moron so my preferred choices are the Lee Brothers. Can't get more classic than that. Might be pretty basic, but we don't have any beat-em-up characters yet so the good old "spawn a pipe and smack 'em" would still be new and unique.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I dunno if we're giving him flak per say, if anything I feel mosta us took this opportunity to talk about our opinion on the dlc and the kinda characters in it(as the previous page kinda shows)
Also a lot of us are just memeing super hard.

The only thing that I took issue with was the claim that Banjo & Kazooie were supposed to be in the base game, but it was pointed out that it could just be ambiguous semantics so it gets a pass.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, saying something along the lines of “I don’t get why art style matters” is invalidating something that matters to someone, just because it doesn’t matter to you.

I mean, the personality of the character seems to matter to some people. I couldn’t care less about that, it’s not like it really factors in to Smash. Maybe the taunts. But some people seem to care about it, or at least they use it as reasoning, so it’s a meaningful factor to them.

No, the art style doesn’t factor into the gameplay... but maybe the cartoony games are the ones you actually like to play, and therefore would be the kind of characters you’d be most hyped to see join Smash.

If someone wants more cartoony characters, cool. If someone wants more realistic characters, cool. If someone wants more Fire Emblem characters, I say what the hell is wrong with you Opossum Opossum , but at the end of the day, cool. People wanting who they want is as subjective as people liking who they like.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I could honestly see that.

Have a clubbing side special, boxing neutral, uh.. batter up special, etc etc. It could work really well if done right.
It’d also make way better for a Waluigi Mii than Brawler does.
Unless it would be an actual character with actual alts, which would be a little disappointing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Just take it easy, jeez.
It sounds like FE criticism. FE fans can't handle anything that resembles criticising how it's represented.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It sounds like FE criticism. FE fans can't handle anything that resembles criticising how it's represented.
Nah they just don't like it when you hate Fire Emblem because its Fire Emblem. Even Fire Emblem fans criticize it's representation (though it's the quality they have a bone to pick with, not the quantity).

Last edited:

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I can understand people wanting stylistic diversity, but even if somebody wants specifically "not-human, not-anime" characters, Ultimate has already added quite a few with pretty varied design aesthetics: :ultinkling::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultbanjokazooie:

I can't help but feel that it starts to sound a bit greedy. Smash has no shortage of characters like that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nah they just don't like it when you hate Fire Emblem because its Fire Emblem. Even Fire Emblem fans criticize it's representation (though it's the quality they have a bone to pick with, not the quantity).
People who default to "ugh more FE" doesn't give you the right to think FE must make Pokemon look like F-Zero.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think some of the character design backlash also has to do with Nintendo (in America) emphasizing more JRPG franchises like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade (which have anime like designs) in the past 15 years which has led to backlash by fans who are fonder of either more cartoonish and/or Western looking characters. To them a Banjo-Kazooie will always stand out more than any FE character regardless if there are individual elements to the latter that are distinct in the context of their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom