• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Rather, I'm saying that Smash already delivers pretty thoroughly on varied character design aesthetics. If you want characters like Crash in the game, I'm saying you should want them on their own merits, not because they're a cartoony mascot - in much the same way that I would think somebody asking for Lloyd isn't asking for him for the sake of having another anime swordfighter, but because they want him on his own merits.
In that case, I completely agree with your statement.
It's basically like how I dislike when people want characters just to spite other characters or their fans, or characters in hopes that the community becomes mad again.

D

Deleted member

Other than Banjo & Kazooie every Smash DLC newcomer has been a single fighter. I'm hoping for some more diversity in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 with more duo fighters wink wink
Hmmm... Young Wizard and Mellori could work :4pacman:
unnamed (5).png

A life wizard+whatever theoretical school of magic they pick for the Young Wizard?(considering you can't represent all 7 schools of magic without some weird jank) It would work pretty well.
I'm only slightly joking btw

She's also pretty plot relevant(why exactly I cannot say because knowing the why ruins the entire 3rd arc's buildup) and tags along with you for most of Empyrea part 2 so it's not like I'm throwing a random NPC in for the jokes.

Last edited by a moderator:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I don't think this is even a question of art styles, it's more proportions. Because to insinuate that Min-Min, Hero, Joker, and Terry have the same art style is laughable. As it would be to say Dixie, Crash, Rayman, and Rillaboom share an art style. Is there a distinction between characters with more realistic proportions and those without? Sure, but that's not really art style, or at the very least it's a very shallow idea of it.

I honestly think this stems from a lot of Nintendo fans not willing to play other games outside of Nintendo franchises, who usually sticks to cartoony, heavily stylized games. Don't get me wrong, a good percentage of my favorite games are Nintendo titles with heavily stylized art styles, but every time I see "there's too many anime characters" I roll my eyes. It's on the same level of Ridley is too big and too many swordsmen.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright, I don't know how to download the image used (I saw it on the Geno thread), but I wanted to bring up the "Smash Bros. Monkey Paw" game! Here's how it works: your most wanted character gets added. HOWEVER, so does your least wanted character. Do you accept the deal? If so, who's getting added?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't think this is even a question of art styles, it's more proportions. Because to insinuate that Min-Min, Hero, Joker, and Terry have the same art style is laughable. As it would be to say Dixie, Crash, Rayman, and Rillaboom share an art style. Is there a distinction between characters with more realistic proportions and those without? Sure, but that's not really art style, or at the very least it's a very shallow idea of it.

I honestly think this stems from a lot of Nintendo fans not willing to play other games outside of Nintendo franchises, who usually sticks to cartoony, heavily stylized games. Don't get me wrong, a good percentage of my favorite games are Nintendo titles with heavily stylized art styles, but every time I see "there's too many anime characters" I roll my eyes. It's on the same level of Ridley is too big and too many swordsmen.
One thing to consider is that the tweet I posted there is from a K. Rool megafan account.

I do get the feeling a lot of the people who complain about this issue are probably older folk who grew up playing the likes of Mario and Rare games on SNES and N64 and probably don't like how more Japan centric Nintendo has gotten since then.

Smash 4 in particular contained a lot more "anime humanoids" than previous installments, with Robin, Lucina, Palutena, Dark Pit, Shulk, Cloud, Ryu, Corrin and Bayonetta getting in over the likes K. Rool and Ridley, which I think may of been the straw that broke the camel's back for certain people.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think I've ever supported a character just because they had a design or art style I liked.

I mean, obviously I prefer some styles over others, but when I'm thinking of Smash and characters I want? The character's franchise, their moveset potential, their fan demand, their importance to gaming, and half a dozen other things are more important to me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, I don't know how to download the image used (I saw it on the Geno thread), but I wanted to bring up the "Smash Bros. Monkey Paw" game! Here's how it works: your most wanted character gets added. HOWEVER, so does your least wanted character. Do you accept the deal? If so, who's getting added?
On one hand, Reimu, which is the best-case scenario.
On the other hand... If we're going off of their character Viridi. If we're going off of the discourse surrounding them, Urshifu instead. Yeah...

D

Deleted member

I don't have a least wanted character :yeahboi:
And even if I did I don't think I would care considering that would mean Wizard101 content in smash.. and boy let me tell ya that game's a hidden gem for sure.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
scenario 1: Sora then Geno
Senario2: Layton then Velvet
Senario 3: Pheonix then anyone from senran kagura

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, wow, two Xenoblade characters at once? That'd be a wild double-reveal. Would probably cement the series as one that gets complained about along with Fire Emblem, too. :4pacman:
But yeah, I'd take that deal. One of the main reasons why I don't want a certain other Xenoblade characters is because I want to see Elma and X getting represented first, so I could live with both getting in at the same time.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'll be honest, I don't even know who my least wanted is. So I'll take that well.

Edit: Didn't want to double post so I'm just adding this.
PapaGeno's discord did a vote on who is the most likely and who is the most wanted. Geno came 2nd on most likely and 1st on most wanted so there's potential slight bias, but last time I was around that Discord quite a few people hated the idea of Geno getting in.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why not, it's DLC. I'll download my most wanted character and not download my least wanted character.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Mortal Kombat could be sold in Japan though. There's no Specfic ban for the Franchise or anything

the Problem is that Nettherrealm themselves Don't want to Censor the game and/or Translate the game. If they censor Mortal Kombat the games could be sold in Japan, but because they don't they can't. There's no need for a Reigon Locked Mii Costume

If Mortal Kombat gets into Smash, it would be in a Censored form. There still could be Fatalities and such, it's just that there wouldn't be any Explict form of Gore like Dismemberment or anything. The content in Mortal Kombat is Illegal, Mortal Kombat the Franchise and it's characters are not

I'm pretty sure owning MK11 is a legal gray area in Japan. Not something anyone would get arrested for and I'm sure you could find the imported version in a shop in Akihabara somewhere, but not something that's exactly legally acknowledged as a thing you should be doing. At least that's my understanding of how CERO-rejected games work, which is admittedly shaky because it doesn't work like the ESRB at all.

Someone can feel free to correct me here, but even so there's still no other series represented in Smash ult with a banned game in it in ANY major region.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'll be honest, I don't even know who my least wanted is. So I'll take that well.

PapaGeno's discord did a vote on who is the most likely and who is the most wanted. Geno came 2nd on most likely and 1st on most wanted so there's potential slight bias, but last time I was around that Discord quite a few people hated the idea of Geno getting in.
ignoring Geno becase obviusly there is gonna be a good amount of votes for him, its being on his sever and all.

what Im shocked about is Sora even getting votes and is even 4th most wanted

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'll have to turn down any deal that gets Kirito from SAO into Smash.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
This isn't even a monkey paw game to me. I've got a lot of least wanteds, but the absolute worst reaction I'd be able to muster from any of them would be "well that's boring". Then I'd shrug my shoulders, play them to see if they're competitively viable and/or fit my playstyle which will determine if they become a secondary or not, and then I'll move on. It's not really even a price to pay for me since it's 1 out of 5 more characters, and I get to see a bunch of salty "WHO!?" reactions when Monokuma gets revealed.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

The old age debate returns
I strongly agree, Banjo-Kazooie was a big get, But man does the duo stick out compared to the rest of the DLC lineup and makes it look lopsided, Really hoping for Crash Bandicoot to come in and help fix that.

A big reason why I love the Super Smash Bros franchise so much compared to your "Traditional Fighting Game" is the cartoony and mascot premise of the game which was really felt with the N64 original and in more recent years kind of went away from that direction, Traditional fighters tend to have a more serious vibe and are usually more human based when it comes to the roster usually realistic and anime-esque characters, Other than a few exceptions you never see a cereal mascot join a traditional fighter as it clashes with the style of the fighting game, Smash feels like a game where cereal mascots can truly fight in a game that is almost exclusive and feels made for that type of archetype, I mean it is after all a platform fighter.

In my opinion that's what really makes Super Smash Bros stand out from the crowd of fighting games (Other than being the ultimate crossover), That's not to say that I hate the idea of more realistic or human characters, I like Snake and think he is a really cool character and that's coming from someone who has never played a Metal Gear Solid and Master Chief is currently one of my most wanted characters to join Smash.

But when I think of Super Smash Bros, First and foremost I think of Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Pac Man, Banjo-Kazooie and (Hopefully) Crash Bandicoot beating the crap out of each other with wacky slapstick animations and charm and part of me feels like that is lost when I see a Free 4 All match with the polar opposite of those type of characters.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I've heard murmurs about Dante on Resetera, but from what I hear, I assume it's worthless?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Okay small nitpick here.
Why the **** do people keep using the Order of the Sword logo for Dante?
****'s used for one game for the opposing faction and yall are associating it with the main man.

You wanna go with the first game? Boom
DMC1 Trish Silhouette.png

You wanna go with the most iconic game? Boom
DMC3 Dante Silhouette.png

You wanna go with the most modern and currently popular game? Boom
dmc5 dante icon smash.png

EDIT: dammit Schnee117 Schnee117 said it before I did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom