• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, any updates for August 3rd? I know it's purely speculation at this point, but I wanted to see if anybody credible was backing it at the moment. Though admittedly, it'd either be another Partner Showcase or a Mini in my opinion.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Complaints about too many anime swordfighters could only ever stem from too many anime swordfighters unless the people complaining are hallucinating characters. Complaints about characters like DQ (which were few) stem from people's own ignorance and crappy taste, nothingfrom else.
Complains about DQ were few? No offense but you were living under a rock back then? Same with Terry, which received a lot of "literal who" comments.
Yeah, ignorance and all, but the complains existed, so according to your stance with "anime swordfighters" neither Terry or DQ should have been added.

You know what? Complains appear from ignorance like the 99% of times. Some people seem to feel somewhat offended if the new character isn't really familiar to them, and that's when the complains appear.
People downplaying DQ or SNK were mostly people who barely knew anything of these names, or people who knew these names but they didn't care for. You really think it's different for "anime swordfighters"? People who complains about anime characters are people that usually isn't very familiar or a fan of JRPGs or games with an anime aesthetic.

"Tales isn't important enough to be in Smash". But the series has been a lot more prominent than Banjo Kazooie. Something's wrong here...

My point is, complains about DQ/Terry came mostly from ignorance? Yeah, I agree. But the same occurs with anime characters or franchises with anime influence. It's the exact same thing. It's just that you're justifying complains about anime swordfighters, alluding to what the fans don't want, while downplaying the complains that characters such as Hero or Terry received when both things aren't really that different.

That complaints imply validity is not what I said, I said complaints imply a base for complaints.
Gumball? Like what the cartoon character? How is he relevant?
I don't think there is an actual serious complaint about "cereal mascots", just anti-Banjo ****posting, DK, Mario, Pikachu, etc. are "cereal mascots", Nintendo is associated with "cereal mascots".
Come on now they "shared ideas" with SoulCalibur teams, is this not a bit stretching for influence?
Yeah, but Nintendo is a japanese company. Anime is from Japan. And Nintendo has a LONG history of JRPGs or anime influences in their games (like, I still laugh when people says Zelda isn't anime at all lol)
So it's normal to find anime characters in Smash or japanese role playing games in their systems. Like anyone who's still surprised to see JRPGs announcements in their directs must be 40 year old people who only played Mario when it came out or something, because otherwise I can't understand why people still seem surprised to see these games and these characters on Nintendo platforms.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
That big ballot from awhile back wrapped up, here are the results
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Heavy being number one is not something I expected. The account that runs the poll used to be a TF2 for Smash account, so the sample size is a little biased, but I still think it means there's a bigger TF2 for Smash fanbase than anyone expected. DJ Professor K is also really interesting, I wonder if the King's fans will stick around for much longer?

(also Grovyle in the top 50! I thought I was alone...)
I'm gonna have to call bull**** on this, I seriously doubt Heavy's support is anywhere near at least half of these character.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Heavy being number one is not something I expected. The account that runs the poll used to be a TF2 for Smash account, so the sample size is a little biased, but I still think it means there's a bigger TF2 for Smash fanbase than anyone expected. DJ Professor K is also really interesting, I wonder if the King's fans will stick around for much longer?

The fact that there's such a heavy bias makes me doubt this poll. It seems like it intentionally favored a certain fanbase due to the background of it, and that does skewer the reliability of it since it leans more towards that fanbase relative to others.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Wait, seriously? What did he say specifically?
I remember the name of his channel. It's JunkeyJanker.

He was really upset and groaned really loud when Hero was announced saying things like "no one cares about Dragon Quest" and whatnot. He was upset basically the entire direct calling everything weeb trash or something, I forget and the VOD is gone. He was really happy with Banjo though and said that Hero was only there to lower people's guards because no one actually wanted him.

He woke up for the Byleth reveal as well and his reaction was even worse, saying anyone that wanted Byleth was mentally disabled. VOD of that is gone too, but there might be clips around for it, idk.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Can't wait for people to throw this obviously biased poll around to inflate Heavy's chances.

"Heavy is super likely, he won this one poll by a Twitter account that previously campaigned for TF2 in Smash!"

As a big TF2 fan who would love to see Heavy in Smash, I seriously doubt Heavy is this popular.

But still Quote in 30th is cool tho

EDIT:

Heavy got nearly 2,000 votes in the last few days of the poll, compared to everyone else who got like 200 at most.

Yeah forget what I said about Quote this poll is garbage.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I remember the name of his channel. It's JunkeyJanker.

He was really upset and groaned really loud when Hero was announced saying things like "no one cares about Dragon Quest" and whatnot. He was upset basically the entire direct calling everything weeb trash or something, I forget and the VOD is gone. He was really happy with Banjo though and said that Hero was only there to lower people's guards because no one actually wanted him.

He woke up for the Byleth reveal as well and his reaction was even worse, saying anyone that wanted Byleth was mentally disabled. VOD of that is gone too, but there might be clips around for it, idk.
Wow. What a butt.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Last night I brought up how that wiki used Gumball's mom as an example of unlikely Smash characters, somebody brought up Gumball as an example of a cereal box mascot today, and now we're talking about Gumball's voice actor not liking Dragon Quest. What does it all mean?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Can't wait for people to throw this obviously biased poll around to inflate Heavy's chances.

"Heavy is super likely, he won this one poll by a Twitter account that previously campaigned for TF2 in Smash!"
I hate being right all of the time.

1596339433496.png

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe I should throw together a picture of a "poll" with my favoured characters at the top to circulate the belief they're the most desired ones and create my very own little feedback loop.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Step 1 create a fan poll where only I can see the real time results

Step 2 Gaslight the entire Smash fandom into thinking that Kazuma Kiryu took the number 1 spot

Step 3 ???

Step 4 Profit

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
The Heavy part of that poll is whatever considering the account, but I'm curious about the rest of it in the context of this presumably being mostly TF2 fans. It's interesting to think about the spread of stuff like this when there's a "primary fandom" involved. Like, how much different would this poll be if it was run by a 2B account, or an Arle account, or a Master Chief account, etc?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Step 1 create a fan poll where only I can see the real time results

Step 2 Gaslight the entire Smash fandom into thinking that Kazuma Kiryu took the number 1 spot

Step 3 ???

Step 4 Profit
Tangential but similar logic to the dozens of leaks definitely confirming that said leaker's most wanted is getting in Smash.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Forgot to mention that I also tried to make the biggest Smash poll, which closed recently, but the results are here! Absolute landslide for Gexbros. We won!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Forgot to mention that I also tried to make the biggest Smash poll, which closed recently, but the results are here! Absolute landslide for Gexbros. We won!
Sakurai sees this and immediately cancels Master Chief's development to start working on Gex.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Heavy part of that poll is whatever considering the account, but I'm curious about the rest of it in the context of this presumably being mostly TF2 fans. It's interesting to think about the spread of stuff like this when there's a "primary fandom" involved. Like, how much different would this poll be if it was run by a 2B account, or an Arle account, or a Master Chief account, etc?
Exactly. There's going to be well over a hundred followers to an account for Team Fortress 2(or was, as that doesn't mean it loses followers), easily skewing the votes.

In more context, somebody else posted the poll on Reddit. This is the only time those huge votes came in. Reddit may have botted it for all we know. Nothing that the poll creator is sure of, as they were confused about the situation too.

IMO, due to the circumstances, I doubt Heavy would've gotten that much more votes otherwise if it was in a more neutral area or not even posted anywhere else. It was probably going to be Waluigi, Rayman/Heavy, and Steve in that order for the top 4. If he does figure out the situation, he's able to at least try to fix it. Heavy may have still had a lot of votes, as Reddit is a Western community I think? At least generally.

Heavy is still a very very popular character, so many of those votes aren't actually skewed, but there's no doubt some are. Without the skewing, there's no telling how high he'd be, but Waluigi, Rayman, and Steve would easily take the top 3 otherwise. I find it interesting that he's clear he never posted the poll on Reddit too, as that already suggests somebody else was trying to bot the system instead. Whether or not it was actually botted or a community just got together and massively voted remains to be seen. Either way, if you take away the (likely)botting, Heavy would still be pretty high with the rest of the current votes, so it's still pretty neat he got up there. I'm sure others would be way higher if there it was not so Western-focused.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Yeah. I call bs. Master Chief being more popular makes more sense. MS has much better relationship with Nintendo than Valve ever did. Chief is way more iconic.

Btw, isn't poll from source gaming the biggest one?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have literally never seen or heard of DJ Professor K in like any other poll or circle prior to this.

Apparently more people want Conker than Master Chief or Dante lol.
The latter makes sense in a lot of cases. Some people want a previous Nintendo character over someone who has little to do with Nintendo. Especially those who think the series is still literally supposed to be Nintendo All-Stars, which hasn't even been the case since Melee. Not all are even up for regular 3rd parties as is, and disliked Sonic alone. The only ones some are willing to accept is those who used to be a Nintendo character, cause it's an "exception" to it.

It's just a matter of preferences. Not honestly that odd in the end. Being a gaming icon doesn't mean everybody wants that character in. There's other contexts for popularity, after all.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Exactly. There's going to be well over a hundred followers to an account for Team Fortress 2(or was, as that doesn't mean it loses followers), easily skewing the votes.

In more context, somebody else posted the poll on Reddit. This is the only time those huge votes came in. Reddit may have botted it for all we know. Nothing that the poll creator is sure of, as they were confused about the situation too.

IMO, due to the circumstances, I doubt Heavy would've gotten that much more votes otherwise if it was in a more neutral area or not even posted anywhere else. It was probably going to be Waluigi, Rayman/Heavy, and Steve in that order for the top 4. If he does figure out the situation, he's able to at least try to fix it. Heavy may have still had a lot of votes, as Reddit is a Western community I think? At least generally.

Heavy is still a very very popular character, so many of those votes aren't actually skewed, but there's no doubt some are. Without the skewing, there's no telling how high he'd be, but Waluigi, Rayman, and Steve would easily take the top 3 otherwise. I find it interesting that he's clear he never posted the poll on Reddit too, as that already suggests somebody else was trying to bot the system instead. Whether or not it was actually botted or a community just got together and massively voted remains to be seen. Either way, if you take away the (likely)botting, Heavy would still be pretty high with the rest of the current votes, so it's still pretty neat he got up there. I'm sure others would be way higher if there it was not so Western-focused.
What I mean is the overall spread, not Heavy specifically.

Like where would 2B be on a poll that was run by an Arle account? Or where would Lloyd be on a poll that was run by a Doom Slayer account? Stuff like that. Like is Shantae being higher than Geno on this poll suggest that TF2 fans are more likely to vote for Shantae instead of Geno? That's what I mean when I say overall spread.

There's obvious bias towards the property associated with the account, but what about other properties? Do you just consider cross-over appeal in that case? But then again, there's a ton of top 10 characters that barely have any cross-over appeal with TF2 at a base level. So even if we delete Heavy, what biases can we assume here knowing this is still primarily a TF2 account?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Like where would 2B be on a poll that was run by an Arle account? Or where would Lloyd be on a poll that was run by a Doom Slayer account? Stuff like that. Like is Shantae being higher than Geno on this poll suggest that TF2 fans are more likely to vote for Shantae instead of Geno? That's what I mean when I say overall spread.

There's obvious bias towards the property associated with the account, but what about other properties? Do you just consider cross-over appeal in that case? But then again, there's a ton of top 10 characters that barely have any cross-over appeal with TF2 at a base level. So even if we delete Heavy, what biases can we assume here knowing this is still primarily a TF2 account?
That too.

The bias is going to be there unless it's a truly neutral account. Which is hard to do unless it's a new account and nobody knows who you are.

Especially when you consider things like pity votes for the account's favorite character can happen, etc. If I made a poll, some of the characters I want might show up more often than what people legitimately want the most, etc. And even ignoring pity votes, you have followers for specific content, so they'll simply see the poll more than the rest of the public.

So yeah, I don't think Heavy would've been that high if it was a neutral account either. Replace him with whichever series focus the account actually has. If no focus, a lot of it would be very similar.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'd say the top 10 are the usual suspects aside from Heavy and would be in either way.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like those with even a little perception of the community sort of have a sense of who the most popular characters are at a given time without the need for a poll. The higher tier candidates are relatively self-evident, it's usually just the order that varies.

Though you usually do have to grain of salt what people say about their preferred characters, or those they somehow specifically "conflict" with.

Yeah. I call bs. Master Chief being more popular makes more sense. MS has much better relationship with Nintendo than Valve ever did. Chief is way more iconic.

Btw, isn't poll from source gaming the biggest one?
Recently, perhaps. But there have been bigger ones in the past. During the ballot there were a few notable polls that garnered several thousands of votes. Of note from that era is the exit poll that aggregated dozens of other polls together, at ~40k total votes.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Goku is in the poll. The poll is automatically invalid.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I think the Twitter account didn't really mean much in the end and all the end TF2 votes came from the subreddit instead.
You might get similar results to this if you posted it to the Puyo Puyo subreddit than if a Arle4Smash Twitter account made the poll considering the account that made it was for the Demoman and not the Heavy and the Demoman isn't anywhere in the poll image, that and all the _____4Smash accounts told people to vote for their character anyways. So maybe all of the "bias" votes for those account are already in anyways?
I might be completely wrong on this though, it was just the first thing that popped into my mind.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When you’re obsession with doing a poll is ONLY being the biggest poll ever, to the point that you place it wherever whenever, and then your favored character when you were a “TF2 for Smash” account just happens to jump to the top in the last bit it just seems a little suspect. Like, nah. No thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom