• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
resetera.PNG

Apparently, Nintendo's upcoming shareholder meeting is not a Q&A, and thus Nintendo doesn't have to answer the question of "what is coming in the future to keep us investing in your company".

Personally I have no idea where this dude got that info from. But if it's true, that's interesting, I suppose.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
View attachment 280916

Apparently, Nintendo's upcoming shareholder meeting is not a Q&A, and thus Nintendo doesn't have to answer the question of "what is coming in the future to keep us investing in your company".

Personally I have no idea where this dude got that info from. But if it's true, that's interesting, I suppose.
If this is true, I expect absolutely no news the rest of the month.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 280916

Welp, the 5th/6th Direct dates just lost a lot of credibility. Ah well, there's still the rest of the month, right?
It'll probably be an Indie World or Partner Presentation anyways, maybe a general mini at most. We'll probably get a full direct in September.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That big ballot from awhile back wrapped up, here are the results
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Heavy being number one is not something I expected. The account that runs the poll used to be a TF2 for Smash account, so the sample size is a little biased, but I still think it means there's a bigger TF2 for Smash fanbase than anyone expected. DJ Professor K is also really interesting, I wonder if the King's fans will stick around for much longer?

(also Grovyle in the top 50! I thought I was alone...)
I really doubt the results of this if only based on the incredibly large lead Heavy got on other characters.

Like, a 1,200 vote difference between him and second place? Even compared to other biased fan polls that's ridiculous.

I don't trust fan polls in general, and I definitely don't trust this one.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
View attachment 280916

Who is this person?

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
When you’re obsession with doing a poll is ONLY being the biggest poll ever, to the point that you place it wherever whenever, and then your favored character when you were a “TF2 for Smash” account just happens to jump to the top in the last bit it just seems a little suspect. Like, nah. No thanks.
Just to note according to this persons twitter he wasn't the one who posted it on the TF2 subreddit, that and I'm assuming that their favored character would be Demoman instead of the Heavy because they were a "Demoman4Smash" and not a "TF2 for Smash" account from what I remember. Its still suspicious but I have my doubts that it was because of the person actually running the poll that he got so many votes in little time.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I trust this poll for the sole reason that Demi-fiend got 32nd place, let's ****ing goooooooooooooooooooooo
1596347195690.png

ZelDan

Smash Master
Quite frankly there's alot of weird **** going on with that poll beyond Heavy's top spot.

-The Sony characters being on there. Did this poll get posted on Playstation websites or something?
-Furret being there at all
-Conker not only being there but being 15th
-I don't even know who Candyman is tbh but I sure as hell don't recall this character being brought up before for speculation
-Also don't know who the hell Professor K is, and he also probably wouldn't generally be that high up or present at all in a fan poll
-I don't think Hat Kid and Hollow Knight usually place as high as they did in other polls. I know The Knight from Hollow Knight definitely has a following, but I never thought it was THAT big.

yeah, this list is incredibly fishy and I don't buy it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
View attachment 280916

That doesn't mean much. Sure, investors won't be able to ask questions. However, Nintendo still has to give projections for their next quarter. While they could, theoretically, just give estimates without referencing the specific games they expect to achieve them with, that's not going to instill much confidence in investors, especially given the current situation and how unpredictable everything is as-is. Investors are pretty much like us, except with the added caveat that if they think that Nintendo's got nothing to show for the next quarter, they're gonna sell stock and it'll devalue.

For that reason I'd expect something to be announced before the investor meeting (stuff can and has been announced during these kinds of calls, but it's generally either stuff that isn't ready for a public reveal or that doesn't excite the public - so things like mobile games, for example).

Though it's not out of the question that sales estimates for Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Paper Mario and SwSh DLC are strong enough that Nintendo chooses to simply announce that, to spare themselves from any unforeseen delays for unrevealed games. Better to be conservative and then surprise than overpromise and disappoint with investors.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Quite frankly there's alot of weird **** going on with that poll beyond Heavy's top spot.

-The Sony characters being on there. Did this poll get posted on Playstation websites or something?
-Furret being there at all
-Conker not only being there but being 15th
-I don't even know who Candyman is tbh but I sure as hell don't recall this character being brought up before for speculation
-Also don't know who the hell Professor K is, and he also probably wouldn't generally be that high up or present at all in a fan poll
DJ Professor K is a side character from Jet Set Radio, a Sega game from the 2000s. Last year, Silvagunner ran a tournament-style event where the winner got a day's worth of songs, and K won. I wouldn't be surprised if there was significant overlap between the Silvagunner fanbase and the Smash fanbase, hence K placing. The real question is if it lasts (probably not, but you never know)...

(as an aside, don't let the Silvagunner label make you think it's all memey garbage. Most of the arrangements I've heard from it are pretty great, and I've heard a lot of them. Here's a link to the Playlist of DJ Professor K songs, and here's a link to the whole thing. There's also the first tournament, which is much smaller in scale but still pretty decent)

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice

Heavy being number one is not something I expected. The account that runs the poll used to be a TF2 for Smash account, so the sample size is a little biased, but I still think it means there's a bigger TF2 for Smash fanbase than anyone expected. DJ Professor K is also really interesting, I wonder if the King's fans will stick around for much longer?

Though this smash fan poll is a bit bias, and certainty fake or flawed, all I can said is finally, the dark horse Asuka have appears in a Smash poll.

Ever since the release of Senran Kagura: Reflexions and Senran Kagura: Peach Ball on the Switch, I was hoping she would be one of the possible contenders to appears in Smash despite the nature/content of her game series.

But knowing Marvelous, they will most likely choose the popular pick Yumi over Asuka just like Min Min over Spring Man, and this situation is already proven with BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle. Source

-I don't even know who Candyman is tbh but I sure as hell don't recall this character being brought up before for speculation.
Candyman is a fighting video game character from Lethal League Blaze, and not the one from the horror movie Candyman.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Added textures. Behold, the most deserving Zelda newcomer and embodiment of evil.
linksawakening.png

Also found Agahnim in the files, but I'm not sure there are that many Agahnim fans dying to see him textured, much less in Smash.
1596350814098.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Added textures. Behold, the most deserving Zelda newcomer and embodiment of evil.
View attachment 280925

Also found Agahnim in the files, but I'm not sure there are that many Agahnim fans dying to see him textured, much less in Smash.
View attachment 280926
Have Ganon turn into Agnahim for his Final Smash. :troll:

...Less jokingly, Ganon should turn into Ganondorf as a Final Smash. Maybe reenact Dead Man's Volley, but he gets the last hit and uses Phantom Ganon's Trident as a stab, as a joke on using the Light Arrows. Ganondorf has no Light Arrow equivalent, but the Trident works.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Get outta here with your characters already in Smash!

Into the closet with the Paper Mario guys!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DJ Professor K is a side character from Jet Set Radio, a Sega game from the 2000s. Last year, Silvagunner ran a tournament-style event where the winner got a day's worth of songs, and K won. I wouldn't be surprised if there was significant overlap between the Silvagunner fanbase and the Smash fanbase, hence K placing. The real question is if it lasts (probably not, but you never know)...

(as an aside, don't let the Silvagunner label make you think it's all memey garbage. Most of the arrangements I've heard from it are pretty great, and I've heard a lot of them. Here's a link to the Playlist of DJ Professor K songs, and here's a link to the whole thing. There's also the first tournament, which is much smaller in scale but still pretty decent)
Ima be real with you dude, this reads like you're grasping for straws just out of your reach.

I'm sure there's overlap between Silvagunner fans and Smash fans, but I doubt it's as significant as you're saying it is. Furthermore, I would guess that Silvagunner-fans-who-are-also-Smash-fans likely have characters they want more than DJ Professor K, a one off character who won a tournament that was rather niche in the grand scheme of things. There are either 117 very dedicated fans, or this poll isn't serious in the slightest.

I'm going to go with the latter. Though, I will agree that Silvagunner's rips are all quality compositions.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Have Ganon turn into Agnahim for his Final Smash. :troll:

...Less jokingly, Ganon should turn into Ganondorf as a Final Smash. Maybe reenact Dead Man's Volley, but he gets the last hit and uses Phantom Ganon's Trident as a stab, as a joke on using the Light Arrows. Ganondorf has no Light Arrow equivalent, but the Trident works.
I was thinking maybe turning him into the Calamity, but that'd be a fun excuse to dredge up this Oracle Ganondorf design.
1596354798249.png

zriL

Smash Journeyman
The ballot was running for several months while showing real time results. That's not how you do ballots anyways, so it was bound to be biased in many ways.
Besides, 22k votes over such a long period is still not a very big sample. Meanwhile, the japanese Touhou community can run every year a popularity poll with 30k+ participants, and it's a true poll that runs during only one week and has many more questions to answer.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Ima be real with you dude, this reads like you're grasping for straws just out of your reach.

I'm sure there's overlap between Silvagunner fans and Smash fans, but I doubt it's as significant as you're saying it is. Furthermore, I would guess that Silvagunner-fans-who-are-also-Smash-fans likely have characters they want more than DJ Professor K, a one off character who won a tournament that was rather niche in the grand scheme of things. There are either 117 very dedicated fans, or this poll isn't serious in the slightest.

I'm going to go with the latter. Though, I will agree that Silvagunner's rips are all quality compositions.
117 fans is VERY reasonable considering he got nearly 10 times that for the final vote.

And it's not JUST Smash fans, it's Smash fans that also happened to be super online/memers, which I think there'd be a ton of crossover for if you're aware of some obscure online poll. I don't think K's placement is suspcious at all in that context.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

To be fair that's not sus at all, the point of a poll is to get as many voices on it as possible and spreading it out beyond the typical Nintendo centric circles would be smart as it could lead into different results and more votes. If I were in charge of making a Smash poll, I'd want to go to as many different communities as possible for more votes as it can always lead into interesting results

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Imagine if Heavy actually becomes the seventh fighter and everyone brings this poll up as evidence that he was next.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
sounds like an audience that would be receptive to receiving a character voted to make their voice heard.

im not saying this poll means anything, but i mean if you wanted to see if people wanted to vote for like master chief or something, the poll probably should have been posted by someone into that circle to garner that group's interest too.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Complains about DQ were few? No offense but you were living under a rock back then? Same with Terry, which received a lot of "literal who" comments.
Yeah, ignorance and all, but the complains existed, so according to your stance with "anime swordfighters" neither Terry or DQ should have been added.

You know what? Complains appear from ignorance like the 99% of times. Some people seem to feel somewhat offended if the new character isn't really familiar to them, and that's when the complains appear.
People downplaying DQ or SNK were mostly people who barely knew anything of these names, or people who knew these names but they didn't care for. You really think it's different for "anime swordfighters"? People who complains about anime characters are people that usually isn't very familiar or a fan of JRPGs or games with an anime aesthetic.
Complaining about a character archetype being too frequent doesn't mean you don't like JRPGs. So yeah I think it's somewhat different.

(and Banjo-Kazooie is practically a Nintendo character)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel Steve is more likely than Master Chief to be honest.

I think if anything we'll get Steve as a fighter, Master Chief as a Mii Gunner.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm kinda mixed on the idea of including people who wouldn't traditionally be considered Smash fans in a poll. On the one hand, it may give voices to members of the community who typically aren't heard from. On the other hand, going out of your way to get people who don't typically play Smash may skew the data if your poll is meant to be represent the Smash community and not just the general gaming sphere.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

There is no way MS will be satisfied just with Mii costume for their biggest boy. MS will ask a lot of fee Mii costume won't be able to cover.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm kinda mixed on the idea of including people who wouldn't traditionally be considered Smash fans in a poll. On the one hand, it may give voices to members of the community who typically aren't heard from. On the other hand, going out of your way to get people who don't typically play Smash may skew the data if your poll is meant to be represent the Smash community and not just the general gaming sphere.
Smash Ultimate has sold nearly 14 million copies which is a little less than 10% of the userbase of the best selling console of all time. There's a good chance those other communities have Smash fans too

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There is no way MS will be satisfied just with Mii costume for their biggest boy. MS will ask a lot of fee Mii costume won't be able to cover.
So you think it'd be the opposite? Arguably because Minecraft left a big impact on gaming. Not to say Halo didn't because it did with the FPS genre.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I don't even know who Candyman is tbh but I sure as hell don't recall this character being brought up before for speculation
Well excuse you, the Candyman is an esteemed speculation DARLING and I will not have his great name be slandered here.

Let me explain who exactly he is in a little song:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Honestly I'd like new third parties from the 2000s and onwards because I was born in the year 2000 so it'll be faces I'd recognise like Dante, a WoW or League rep or a Shooter rep like Gordon Freeman and Master Chief.
Gordon would actually be a ‘90s Rep since he debuted in ‘98.

Part of why I want Steve to make it in is because he's one of the characters I think of most when considering characters inbetween 2010-2012 that made an impact on gaming. Steve is really iconic of that period of gaming for me and Minecraft is what really got me into the world of modding games, so it would be super cool to see him make it in. Heck, I'd even take a Mii costume.

Nintendo and Microsoft pls. :(
I’d be really shocked if we don’t see Minecraft at all. Fighter, Stage, Mii, Spirit. One of them has to happen!

at this rate, if Bandai Namco were to get a new DLC, it wouldn't be Lloyd or Gil, since their costumes are likely to return given Heihachi's did. I have yet to see a Mii Costume from 4 promoted to playable in Ult's DLC, so far they've all been in the base game (Isabelle, Chrom, Inkling, King K. Rool).

I think Bamco would take a "dark horse" pick at this point, like someone from Soul Calibur or Dark Souls, or if they really wanna surprise people, someone like KOS-MOS, a God Eater character or Klonoa
I’d say a Namco character is down to Lloyd, Yuri or a Dark Souls character. I don’t think anyone else has a shot.

Honestly... I think that's exactly the problem with "shill picks". It's not that they're inherently bad... it's that they're almost always included in favor of a series that doesn't really need it, to the detriment of other series that could seriously use that Smash boost.

F-Zero has only one playable character, and it has been stuck with only one ever since Smash 64 with no attempts at any additional ones (not even an Echo Fighter for Captain Falcon), despite fans wanting the series to make a comeback, which another playable Smash character can help with.

Golden Sun has zero playable characters. There's one character that fans really want to see become playable, and they've made that fact loud and clear enough by this point... yet that character has remained unplayable to this day despite the obvious fan demand. And like F-Zero, fans want this series back, and a Smash character could very much help.
F-Zero hasn’t gotten anymore reps because it’s a racing game. The one character we did get in Smash has a completely unique moveset. F-Zero is awesome but I’d rather get characters that wouldn’t basically be OCs.

Seeing Leon in this list hurts. I know it was the spirits or nothing, but Resident Evil not getting a playable rep seems like a wasted opportunity.
It hurts me too, man. :’(

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Complaining about a character archetype being too frequent doesn't mean you don't like JRPGs. So yeah I think it's somewhat different.

(and Banjo-Kazooie is practically a Nintendo character)
It doesn't mean that, that's true, but anyone would be extremely naive if believes the complains against swordfighters come from people who is familiar or usually plays games with these kind of characters.

It's ignorance. Do you really believe that Hero was hated by Dragon Quest and JRPG fans? Or that Terry was called Hat Ken or literal who by SNK and fighting games fans?

Also. The complains about swordfighters mostly came because of Fire Emblem in Smash 4, and as I always say, these complains are pretty random? Using a sword doesn't mean you use it in the same way as other characters with swords, or do you really think characters such as Dante, Nightmare, 2B or Sora, to mention a few, would fight similarly to other sword users already in the game?

Not only that but it's not like swordfighters are like 50% of the roster, there are more characters fighting with punches and kicks than swords, so something seems fishy here if you ask me because I don't recall people complaining about that. Hey, not saying complaining about an archetype isn't valid, but to me it seems pretty clear that a good amount of the disdain and the hate for swordfighters came more for the anime and/or the JRPG aspect.
It's not like there's a conspiration against both things, I mean, anime and JRPGs are popular, but we also know that both things have haters. It isn't difficult to go anywhere in the internet and see people making fun of anything anime or in the context of videogames, people calling JRPGs boring, outdated and only for weebs.

Banjo is practically a Nintendo character? Maybe, but I don't think that has any relation to the whole point, or at least not anymore. Dragon Quest also has strong connections with Nintendo and yet Hero received a decent amount of hate... I don't really think the regular folk really cares for "Nintendo history" when Joker was better received than Hero. I'd dare say that some people uses the "Nintendo connections" card in a very arbitrary way.
Tales is an important series with a decent legacy. I'm not even a crazy fan of the series or an active supporter for a rep in Smash. You can like or dislike the franchise or their characters, that's okay, but downplaying the series isn't really necessary.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

I really hope it's the inverse. Halo is more important a franchise to the industry (not saying Minecraft isn't important, but that Halo is more important). That and I personally don't enjoy Minecraft as a game.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So you think it'd be the opposite? Arguably because Minecraft left a big impact on gaming. Not to say Halo didn't because it did with the FPS genre.
Which franchise would MS try to push? They can simply refuse if Nintendo tries to settle for Mii costume for Chief. MS could've chosen Steve, but they decided to push Banjo instead. What's motive behind this move? Good reputation/image? Financial gain/advertisement? Mix of both I guess. The thing is we can't exactly pinpoint. I'm not saying Minecraft is unlikely. I am saying that it's not cookie cutter like "Minecraft is more popular, so it is auto pick over Halo!" Nintendo may get Steve, but unable to get Master Chief Mii costume due to expensive fee that Mii costume can't chew more than it can.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So in that case when it comes between Master Chief and Steve I take Master Chief is more likely then?

If so, I'm definitely all down because he's been my replacement since Doom Slayer had been deconfirmed.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Not even a fan of TF2, but Heavy would admittedly be a hilarious and unexpected addition. I honestly wouldn't mind.

That said, nah lol fan polls are terrible for trying to predict what's actually likely or who is and isn't "objectively" popular in the broad scope of the whole community. There's always going to be a feedback loop echo chamber with fan polls due to each separate community having their own bias. They very, very rarely have any actually useful data.

Besides, all a good poll would be able to tell us is who has the loudest voice in our bubble. We're such a small speck compared to the entirety of Smash's full installed base that it will always be impossible to tell what is definitively the "most popular" choice due to silent majority. :drshrug:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really hope it's the inverse. Halo is more important a franchise to the industry (not saying Minecraft isn't important, but that Halo is more important). That and I personally don't enjoy Minecraft as a game.
I gotta disagree. Even though Steve is more controversial than Master Chief, I feel like Minecraft is the franchise that's made a bigger impact overall. There's all sorts of merch for it, and a lot of people who aren't in to gaming seem to recognize the franchise.

Now if you're trying to say more people would buy a console for Halo than they would for Minecraft, then you might be right. Either way, Minecraft has a much larger audience and has built itself up to be a fairly iconic name in gaming.

Which franchise would MS try to push? They can simply refuse if Nintendo tries to settle for Mii costume for Chief. MS could've chosen Steve, but they decided to push Banjo instead. What's motive behind this move? Good reputation/image? Financial gain/advertisement? Mix of both I guess. The thing is we can't exactly pinpoint. I'm not saying Minecraft is unlikely. I am saying that it's not cookie cutter like "Minecraft is more popular, so it is auto pick over Halo!" Nintendo may get Steve, but unable to get Master Chief Mii costume due to expensive fee that Mii costume can't chew more than it can.
Banjo got in almost entirely because of fan demand. I'm certain Microsoft wouldn't have pushed for Banjo if they thought Smash fans were uninterested in the character.

Actually, I'm not even sure Microsoft would be involved with Ultimate had Banjo not been added.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
F-Zero hasn’t gotten anymore reps because it’s a racing game. The one character we did get in Smash has a completely unique moveset. F-Zero is awesome but I’d rather get characters that wouldn’t basically be OCs.
You do know that a lot of F-Zero characters use swords and guns. Samurai Goroh uses a katana. Pico is a sniper assassin.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, if we ARE getting something tomorrow, there's only one thing we can do: hope it's not another Midnight announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom