• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh I can :smirk:
And people cannot say it won’t happen if it’s a mii then it’s a mii
>Thinking Nintendo would talk to disney for a Mii costume

I hope Nintendo aint stupid enough to secure the rignt from the American Behemoth just for a Mii Costume.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
In regards to Master Chief, I seriously cannot see Nintendo going up to one of their competitiors and asking for their biggest character, but only as a mere Mii outfit or whatever.

There is like, a massive difference between Halo and the likes of Asssassin's Creed or Fallout.
I don't know. I don't think it's impossible. I still think implementing MC as a fighter is hard because so much of his kit is gun-related. But this isn't a problem at all for a costume since he'll just be a Mii gunner. I also would say the Spartan armor lends itself well to a costume in general.

Listen, I'll be real, I was surprised to see Vault Boy be added as a costume. Fallout feels so far from Nintendo to me. Adding a Master Chief costume honestly does not feel like much more of a stretch than that.

Just to ask: HWYR if this was the starting roster for a Smash Ultimate rerelease?

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby:
:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultinkling:
:ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
Piranha Plant... urk...

Well, I'm disappointed by the lack of Peach and Zelda and Palutena and ... oh, K. Rool but no Bowser? Hmm...

Anyway, I'm kind of hoping the next Smash is not a rerelease.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I sometimes do wonder if Sakurai would ever break the video game character rule if Mickey Mouse was ever on the table.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't know. I don't think it's impossible. I still think implementing MC as a fighter is hard because so much of his kit is gun-related. But this isn't a problem at all for a costume since he'll just be a Mii gunner. I also would say the Spartan armor lends itself well to a costume in general.

Listen, I'll be real, I was surprised to see Vault Boy be added as a costume. Fallout feels so far from Nintendo to me. Adding a Master Chief costume honestly does not feel like much more of a stretch than that.
Chief would mostly use gun related moves, yeah, but if that's any problem, his weapons aren't realistic looking. Some of Halo weapons are considerably cartoony, at least for me.
Also, we have Joker, and while his moveset doesn't revolve around weapons, his gun is a lot more realistic looking than any of Halo weapons.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

Piranha Plant... urk...

Well, I'm disappointed by the lack of Peach and Zelda and Palutena and ... oh, K. Rool but no Bowser? Hmm...

Anyway, I'm kind of hoping the next Smash is not a rerelease.
Could he mostly use alien weapons?

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure there are literally hundreds of fan-made moveset concepts for Master Chief, and I don't have a hard time imagining one with only Needler/alien guns, beam sword and grenades. Keep in mind Solid Snake exists and fights with explosives and CQC only.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's not stooping low. Capcom got playable Mega Man and Street Fighters characters in Smash but Resident Evil and Monster Hunter characters are in NPC roles. It's just giving content to series that won't have a fighter.
There is massive difference between Halo and Resident Evil/Monster Hunter.

I didn't say that. If Master Chief isn't among the remaining 5 characters that Nintendo chose, they can still want to have Halo content in Smash. Hence, a Mii costume.
MS has all the right to refuse if they think Nintendo is settling just for Mii costume. MS would ask more for Chief than they did for Banjo. MS wants to expand as much as they want, but they aren't just going to lend their property. Playable character get way bigger headline. MS knows this.

Why wouldn't they? It's free money for the likeness of a character. It's not too different from Minecraft having skins of Mario characters.
Is Mario skin in Minecraft Xbox version? I don't think so. The difference is that Minecraft can only offer skin. For Smash, there is difference between fighter and Mii costume. You know which one is technically inferior. Mii costume won't make up for license fee that MS would demand. While MS has been generous time to time, they are not that stupid or naive.

I never saw Sakurai or Nintendo comparing those two companies. Do you have a source for that?
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-banjo-kazooie-for-smash-bros-was-quite-easy/
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/nintendo-hard-time-getting-hero-in-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

Not quite comparing, but piecing together isn't absurd or far fetched here.
Keep in mind that MS actually showed open support for Banjo's inclusion.

Last edited:

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
I suppose energy weapons are totally nonoffensive. The covenant weapons are all like that so they could probably lean quite a lot on that, along with the obvious energy sword.
Chief would mostly use gun related moves, yeah, but if that's any problem, his weapons aren't realistic looking. Some of Halo weapons are considerably cartoony, at least for me.
Also, we have Joker, and while his moveset doesn't revolve around weapons, his gun is a lot more realistic looking than any of Halo weapons.
That's true, Joker's gun is a pretty big precedent-setter. It's a no-holds-barred actual handgun (disregarding that it isn't "real" in P5; it's real in Smash.) A lot of Halo's human weapons still look kind of futuristic which helps disconnect them from reality.

If they really do add MC, it will seriously be a big deal, I will say that.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
After Bayonetta and Joker I HIGHLY doubt firearms are really a problem for the development team anymore. Plus, that quote from back then was during the Wii days 12 years ago when Nintendo was shoving “family friendly” down people’s throats. They’re much more lenient now.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Don't remember if this was ever brought up, but I've noticed something when looking at the full Spirit list: events with new Spirits seem to come in at least pairs or trios between DLC characters.

Between launch and PP, we had two: the Let's Go event and the Mario event.

Between Joker and Hero, we got three: Toy-Con, Peachette and Link's Awakening.

After Banjo, we got Tockles (added separately from the main DQ board), Daemon X Machina and Tetris.

Finally, after Terry we had SwSh, Resident Evil and Astral Chain.

The only exception is the time between Byleth and Min Min, but I think it's due to them setting up for season 2.

So basically... after Octopath, we could be seeing one or two more events with new Spirits, if things work like they did during FP1.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The more I think about it, the more I kinda want to see Master Chief in Smash.

If not for the music alone.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
After Bayonetta and Joker I HIGHLY doubt firearms are really a problem for the development team anymore. Plus, that quote from back then was during the Wii days 12 years ago when Nintendo was shoving “family friendly” down people’s throats. They’re much more lenient now.
There is nothing about realistic firearms that raise rating. I worked for game rating before. I had to check sign of alcohol, drug, sex, cigar, blood, etc.... Not once gun was stuff that brought attention or made us go back and double check each game. I'm not sure about CERO, but ESRB (and many other rating boards) says nothing about firearms that raise rating.

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
It’s Nintendo, if they want crazy(asking for master chief fighter) then they’ll go crazy
& they’re basically asking for another rep just like :ultbanjokazooie: so there should be no problem
I suspect you've got the dynamic a bit back to front: For unrepresented developers, it seems that the scenario is much less Nintendo approaching them and saying "Hey, can we have the rights to this character for a Mii costume?", but rather they were approached and asked "Can we get some content for this series in Smash?" and responded with "Well, the Fighter Pass is already planned out, but we'd be happy to make them a costume/spirit".

In other words, Nintendo is seeking out the DLC fighters, but for other content it's up to the other companies to come knocking. I'll concede that they could start seeking them out after the overall positive responses from fans, but why should they have to change strategy at this point?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
One thing that might be against a Smash reveal during this direct is that Fighter's Pass 2 is planned to be release through a longer span of time, this time lasting up to two years despite only being 6 characters and it took us 6 months to get the first chapter for it, so it is reasonable to believe that we might ended up seeing longer gap for reveals and releases as oppose to FP1.
The year is more than half way over & we’ve only seen one character in the pass. We’ll see the next one soon, they’ll release in Fall & then we get the rest next year.

Halo weapons don’t look like real life weapons so I think they’d be able to get away with it. There’s even going to be Halo Nerf guns later this year. I think if it’s fine for Nerf, it’ll be fine for Smash.

SKX31

Smash Master
There is nothing about realistic firearms that raise rating. I worked for game rating before. I had to check sign of alcohol, drug, sex, cigar, blood, etc.... Not once gun was stuff that brought attention or made us go back and double check each game. I'm not sure about CERO, but ESRB (and many other rating boards) says nothing about firearms that raise rating.
I don't think CERO* focus on guns themselves either. The "Crime" content icon is symbolised by a realistic gun, but it's designated as "Contains criminal activity, either by depiction or in interactive form." Guns themselves are also not described in CERO's English website - it's violent acts including blood that CERO watches out for.

*Other Asian rating boards don't do that either for that matter. Neither GRAC (South Korea), GSRR (Hong Kong / Taiwan) nor SAPP (China).

In any case, Joker's gun looked realistic, but CERO and other Asian ratings boards didn't mind that it looked like one. (Sidenote, while Smash hasn't seen an official release in China yet it's safe to say that Joker's gun is in safe territory there too due to previous games like COD Mobile.)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/li...to-hr-toxicity-tolerated-with-results.245815/

So, does anyone still want Rayman or a Ubisoft character in Smash?
At this point, kinda leaning towards supporting the Prince (of Persia) - if Ezio is indeed not going to appear due to the Altair Mii.

Edit: Damnit! Missed it at first, but still, that toxic organizational culture... urgh.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just to ask: HWYR if this was the starting roster for a Smash Ultimate rerelease?

:ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
You mean this is the starter roster, and the rest of the characters need to be unlocked? If so I guess it's fine.

If this is the whole roster, it's trash, lacks 3 games worth of characters and wastes two slots on Incineroar and Piranha Plant.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No, it's the starting roster and the rest need to be unlocked.
It’s bigger than Vanilla Ultimate’s starting roster so yeah that’s cool

doesn’t sit quite right with me tho that Ridley, Richter and K. Rool are available off the bat. I’d swap them with Little Mac, Olimar, and maybe Min Min since you included PP on the starter and all DLC is already there

kylexv

Smash Master
These cases getting exposed means the offenders can't hide in the shadows anymore. I would argue this is a good thing.
However for those who support Ubisoft in any capcity....that's a different story.

EDIT: I should clarify that it is of course not a good thing that these cases happened. Of course it isn't. It's good that the public is now aware that this is happening.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Well, ever since the Blizzard Hong Kong scandel last year, I've seen some people being against Crash Bandicoot being in Smash based purely on the fact that he's owned by Activision. So I was just wondering how people will feel about Rayman going forward.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, ever since the Blizzard Hong Kong scandel last year, I've seen some people being against Crash Bandicoot being in Smash based purely on the fact that he's owned by Activision. So I was just wondering how people will feel about Rayman going forward.
It was the blizzard half that was guilty, not the activision half. I’m still cool with Crash, but don’t want Tracer or any of Blizzard’s IPs within 10 feet of smash. at least as playable.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It’s absolutely despicable that this stuff happens but this shouldn’t be a reason to not want characters in Smash. Denying a character a spot in Smash because of the actions of a few monsters just hurts the innocent people who worked on the character’s games & the character’s fanbase.
I think you just don't wanna move on from AAA third parties.

SKX31

Smash Master

It would reduce the time needed to unlock by a decent chunk, but personally I feel that it could benefit from some of Melee's, Brawl's and 4's starters (I'd choose :ultzelda::ultbowser: / :ultmetaknight::ultolimar: / :ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt:). It would not be just about representing different games / franchises in the base, but also to include other playstyles so those buying that remaster can experiment more. Also if one's including Ridley and Rool in base Bowser better be in base too.

Trust me, that stung as a long time Blizzard fan (grew up on StarCraft I / WarCraft III alongside the N64 / Gamecube). Blizzard's low level workers did protest how the higher ups handled the Blitzchung fiasco, so I'm taking solace in that at least. I'm not stopping my support of Blizzard's characters - nor should companies' actions dictate character wants (Konami being a massive case in point). Likewise, I support League of Legends in Smash regardless of Tencent cooperating uncomfortably closely with the Chinese government / regime on matters such as data handling.

But that actually had an effect on my posts here. Because it felt like walking on eggshells. Especially as someone who posts about China here rather often because Nintendo's stepping up its efforts in that country - and it might have a further effect on Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
People have every right to be displeased with a character's addition due to their owner company but I'd like to see more consistency about it. It doesn't feel genuine when some fans actively campain against a character because their "evil" corporate rights-holder and then support another series who is also owned by a morally questionable company.

I'm not necessarily talking about this specific case, btw. It's just something I saw multiple times.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People have every right to be displeased with a character's addition due to their owner company but I'd like to see more consistency about it. It doesn't feel genuine when some fans actively campain against a character because their "evil" corporate rights-holder and then support another series who is also owned by a morally questionable company.

I'm not necessarily talking about this specific case, btw. It's just something I saw multiple times.
I find it interesting how people celebrate the addition of Snake and the Belmonts, owned by Konami, but turn their nose up at characters from Disney or Tencent. So we're saying we shouldn't add reps from morally dubious companies, but we let them off the hook if they're classics? Why do we separate art from the artist with one case, but employ guilt by association with another?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

In the end I have to unlock the same amount of characters. Also how you gonna have the Villager Semi before Villager, that's like having Falco before Fox.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
In regards to Master Chief, I seriously cannot see Nintendo going up to one of their competitiors and asking for their biggest character, but only as a mere Mii outfit or whatever.

There is like, a massive difference between Halo and the likes of Asssassin's Creed or Fallout.
The only way it would make sense if Chief makes it as Mii Costume is if Microsoft makes it so for whatever reason or if Steve makes it in as playable instead (I hope not...). In every other circumstance, Chief is playable character material and Nintendo would honestly be quite dumb if they didn't take advantage of having someone like Chief, one of the biggest icons in the industry, as playable in Smash. There is literally no downside to having Chief playable here or at least I can't come up with one or think of one.

Him being a Mii Costume I think would be extremely disappointing to me.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I find it interesting how people celebrate the addition of Snake and the Belmonts, owned by Konami, but turn their nose up at characters from Disney or Tencent. So we're saying we shouldn't add reps from morally dubious companies, but we let them off the hook if they're classics? Why do we separate art from the artist with one case, but employ guilt by association with another?
Unlike Konami, Activision, etc., Disney and Tencent aren't video game/electronics companies first and foremost, which seems like it would make licensing more complicated. To use Disney as an example, it seems as though their licensing agreements don't last especially long. Ducktales Remastered was on digital stores for about six years before being delisted, while Marvel vs. Capcom Origins was only available digitally for two years. (there are examples with shorter amount of times associated with them - I want to say that one game was only available digitally for about six months? Might have been a PS4/Xbox One re-release of the Deadpool game)

I wouldn't want, say, a Sora DLC to be made permanently unavailable after two to three years because someone didn't renew the licensing agreement.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The only way it would make sense if Chief makes it as Mii Costume is if Microsoft makes it so for whatever reason or if Steve makes it in as playable instead (I hope not...). In every other circumstance, Chief is playable character material and Nintendo would honestly be quite dumb if they didn't take advantage of having someone like Chief, one of the biggest icons in the industry, as playable in Smash. There is literally no downside to having Chief playable here or at least I can't come up with one or think of one.

Him being a Mii Costume I think would be extremely disappointing to me.
I mean, we got Miis for Heihachi and Altair, and Resident Evil got Spirited despite selling over a hundred million copies. While Chief is more likely to be a fighter than anything, I'm not discounting any possibilities.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
People always ignore this sort of stuff when it comes to the Rich Corporation That Makes What They Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom