• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't believe you, no one on Smashboards actually plays Ultimate. We all just bought the game solely to complain about the roster picks.
I miss complaining about Smash Bros. Now that I've got Banjo & Kazooie, I can't do that anymore...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe that's what happened here, but that part of my post was mostly addresed to Twitter random people. It was relatively frequent to find people there wanting the female version.
I mean, it wasn't surprising at all, because most of the people asking for that were doing it just for the memes and because "Female Terry looks hot", but at the same time was shocking because... Female Terry isn't really the best depiction of the character? at all? While his Garou redesign, definitely more iconic and representative of his character progression, was barely asked among people, or at least that was the impression I got.

Is not the same case but it would be like adding Joker dressed as a female cop, which is from Persona 5 Dancing, as one of his costumes. It wouldn't be the best way to represent the character.

As for your last part of the message I agree, I think Smash needs more unique costumes in general. I know that in most cases that would mean more work, but still. I guess it doesn't help I'm not really a fan of color variations in any fighting game, those type of costumes are usually boring to my taste, which is why I usually stick with the default costume 90% of the time.
I agree with pretty much everything here.

I also feel the same way when people ask for Cloud in the dress, or clone Charizard from the movie or like a specific armor set for Shulk.

I mean, yeah, the character has been in that costume before but... its not a major part of the character.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't believe you, no one on Smashboards actually plays Ultimate. We all just bought the game solely to complain about the roster picks.
Yeah, I agree. Maybe the haters were right to buy the game just to laugh at it.

...Okay, in all seriousness, let's not forget; being disappointed if it's not the character you want? Perfectly okay. But harassing Sakurai because it's not the character you want, as well as harassing people who DID want it like that character? NOT OK.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm honestly kinda surprised Smash has never done DLC costumes outside the Mii Fighters before. It's basically been a standard for fighting games for almost a decade now and it would work really well for Smash. I don't think anyone would mind paying $0.99 for Ness in his pyjamas or Link in the Ancient Armour.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
When Paperboy eventually gets revealed, I’m gonna main the hell out of him. It’s gonna make headlines, trust me.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Well, well, well....

View attachment 272702

Now wouldn't this be hilarious.
What have you bought upon this cursed land?

NGL this would make me cringe into another universe.

i just really don't like the idea of fem terry as an alt over garou terry
especially considering that snk heroines wasn't exactly the best game and the fact that the way they did fem terry in the game was

uh

kinda disturbing

but nooooo, funny haha waifu hahahaha man become woman that is the absolute peak of comedy hahaha

basically, gimme proud mature daddy garou terry
We could have gotten Hotaru Futaba or Whip or Hinako or Kasumi and all the other (female) SNK characters that don't get a chance to shine but noooooooooo gotta put Terry somehow for ****s sake. The only good thinga 'bout that game was making people remember the CYS team is now alive again.

I think it had more to do with the character choice itself rather than who didn't get in instead of Byleth. Most of the pass consisted of characters no one was asking for, yet the reception was mostly positive. People had been complaining about the number of FE reps before Ultimate even existed.

As for FE being extremely popular in Japan, this isn't really accurate. Truth be told, it's only moderately popular in Japan. The West is responsible for most of its success now.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm honestly kinda surprised Smash has never done DLC costumes outside the Mii Fighters before. It's basically been a standard for fighting games for almost a decade now and it would work really well for Smash. I don't think anyone would mind paying $0.99 for Ness in his pyjamas or Link in the Ancient Armour.
I'd pay up big time to get Snake with his Tuxedo and the Hyrule Warriors versions of the Zelda cast among others.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
https://sega.jp/special/tw60th/

SEGA put out free icons rn featuring a ton of their IPs

The interesting thing is that puts alot of "who owns who" discussion to rest.

Guardian Heroes is only copyrighted to SEGA. Some people thought SEGA published Treasure games (Gunstar, Alien Soldier, Light Crusader, etc) may have been co-op ownership but its SEGA only actually.

There was rumors SEGA sold REZ to Microsoft but that was false as well

Seaman also had rumors SEGA gave rights to Nintendo back in 2012 cause the creator wanted to revive it for the 3DS, but thats false as well. (also i find it strange OPeNBooK Co., Ltd is listed in copyrights but they havent used that name since the 90s. Their called Vivarium Inc now unless something happened recently?)

Also Vanillware IPs are SEGA IP's as well so as a result alot of Atlus published titles like Power Instinct, Maken X, Growlanser, etc are SEGA IPs as well.

The only mystery to me to this day is if SEGA or Vic Tokai owns Battle Mania and I will never find out.
I know this is a bit old already, and I'm sorry for bringing it back up, but I would love it if other companies like Nintendo and Square Enix did stuff like this. Basically just list off all the IPs they own for the world to see.

Although I think Sega forgot Billy Hatcher, so it's obvioisly not perfect, but still.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe not completely true, but it's not completely untrue either. A 2 hour train ride is much less of a production than a 2+ hour flight to a different country.
Exactly. Apples to oranges in how much is done.

Besides that, Sega, Atlus, Konami? How do we know they're remotely involved in Fighter's Pass 2? We can reasonably guess Capcom Co LTD. and Square-Enix, but for the costumes. Namco-Bandai's missing costumes are obviously in-house here. The most Nintendo needs would be a video chat for a quick negotiation for any Bamco content. For that matter, a lot of in-house stuff doesn't require more than a video chat at times to see characters in action.

The negotiations are not that hard without being in-person, except for gameplay stuff. As there's no way to know what companies they're going to, there's no way to discern how far away some are available for getting together fully. The thing with Nintendo stuff is Sakurai is heavily trusted and for the most part, you don't need someone in-person there, so it's still effectively in-house at that point. And even then, having one person quarantined around Sakurai isn't hard to pull off. It's just one person, and leave it at that. Could be a general Nintendo representative. You'd need different ones during development for other company to come over to keep an eye on it, outside of Mii costumes.

With zero clue who is coming next, and them not needing massive involvement necessarily for Mii costumes nor in-house stuff all the time, it's still vastly easier to do in-house stuff while quarantined. It's not just about location alone, it's also heavily about "how many people do you need to get together". Not many for Mii costumes, and not often a lot for in-house. Video chats when you're closeby isn't too hard(a couple hours away by train is not actually as far, and thus, likely an easier internet connection too with how close they are. And yes, distance matters. Not as much as it used to, though). The negotiations, as well, were made well before the pandemic started. They can somewhat easily change the lineup of who is coming out first, since you just need to chat online with a Nintendo representative and the third party company to get it done.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I know this is a bit old already, and I'm sorry for bringing it back up, but I would love it if other companies like Nintendo and Square Enix did stuff like this. Basically just list off all the IPs they own for the world to see.

Although I think Sega forgot Billy Hatcher, so it's obvioisly not perfect, but still.
That's what Smash Bros' spirits are for? There are a few omissions, but they aren't that notable.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

I remember a poll for a game called Sega Heroes which was made for people to vote for who they want to see. It has quite a few series on it and tonnes of characters as well. There were obvious ones like all the other Sonic characters but there were weird ones like Flicky but it had distinct poll options for each different colour variant of it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That's what Smash Bros' spirits are for? There are a few omissions, but they aren't that notable.
That's a good point, actually. Maybe we should do that, but with even more additions. And don't worry, there's a whole Twitter account dedicated to obscure Nintendo characters.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I guess this is my ranking for character reveals in Ultimate:

The reveals I found perfect: Everyone is here, :ultridley:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultkrool:, :ultken:, :ulthero:, :ulthero2:

The reveals I found amazing: :ultjoker:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, :ult_terry:

The reveals which I found good: :ultbyleth:, :ultincineroar:, :ultchrom:,

The reveals I found funny: :ultpiranha:, :ultisabelle:

The "ok, they exist" reveals: :ultinkling:, :ultdaisy:, :ultbanjokazooie:
I thought you were a big Banjo fan?

D

Deleted member

I thought you were a big Banjo fan?
Rather than a big Banjo fan I just had interest on the character getting in because everyone seems to talk about how Banjo games are these masterpieces and I wanted to at least get a slight taste of that (because I never owned a N64 or a Xbox system).

Then he got in and I got to get that taste... Which sadly didn't feel enough for me.

So I'm here just hoping we get a new Banjo game on the Xbox Series X alongside other cool exclusives so I can get to buy a Xbox for once and give the series a chance.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I remember a poll for a game called Sega Heroes which was made for people to vote for who they want to see. It has quite a few series on it and tonnes of characters as well. There were obvious ones like all the other Sonic characters but there were weird ones like Flicky but it had distinct poll options for each different colour variant of it.
Yeah, I remember that. Maybe that's how we can bring the Smash Ballot back...

By the way, R.I.P. Sega Heroes. It got shut down earlier this year due to Sega's partnership with the makers ending. To make matters worse, I saw people claiming it failed because it used Sega characters that WEREN'T from Sonic. Despite that being the whole point. I'm confused, too.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.

If we had to guess what week we get the ARMS character reveal... When would that be?

Droodle

Smash Lord
Have any of you changed your mind on a character, just due to the fan content created around them.

I don't mind Byleth, unlike a lot of people. But after watching videos where FE:TH characters replace the models of GTA V characters, I legitimately think I may switch to maining Byleth.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I saw someone mentioning Smash 4 DLC. If I'm honest, I only bought Ryu, Mewtwo and Cloud. Hell, the only reason I got any characters other than Terry for the first pass is that I think it's more economically sound to save the 5 bucks and potentially get more characters I might like instead.

Terry was 9.9/10 for me, and my reason for not giving him a 10 is because we didn't get Garou Terry.

Seeing people asking for Female Terry (???) instead of Garou Terry wasn't helpful as well lol
Fools and clowns, all of them. Garou Terry's a near perfect redesign.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Have any of you changed your mind on a character, just due to the fan content created around them.

I don't mind Byleth, unlike a lot of people. But after watching videos where FE:TH characters replace the models of GTA V characters, I legitimately think I may switch to maining Byleth.
With Terry. I was lukewarm with at best but eventually warmed up to him after seeing how fun he plays.

I still like to refer to him as Trucker Ken. Why? Because its fun. :p

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Eh i dont blame them. There's alot of stuff they own, would be way too tedious.

Kiryu isnt even on there

Glaciacott

Smash Lord

The fan content around Isabelle and Doomguy have gotten me significantly more invested in seeing Doomguy in Smash AND makes me appreciate Isabelle as a character a million times more.

Ditzy animal crossing Isabelle who is really just a glorified secretary is meh. Doom crossover isabelle who does boring office work and then travels dimensions to hang out with Doomguy to slay demons is MY JAM.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post.
How to see real dinosaurs:
1. Travel 65 million light years away from Earth
2. Look at Earth through a telescope
3. Witness dinosaurs

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How to see real dinosaurs:
1. Travel 65 million light years away from Earth
2. Look at Earth through a telescope
3. Witness dinosaurs
...what does that have to do with the current topic?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Spring Man will pull a Piranha Plant and be released May 31st.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just one of many things I feel Project M (R.I.P.) had over the official Smash Bros. games. I even came across a screenshot of the Ice Climbers in those adorable polar bear alts. a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom