• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Anyways…what’s the opinion of Euden looking too similar to Shulk? I kinda see the similarities, but is that enough to warrant NOT getting a spot?
Don't think its a problem. I mean, they added Dark Pit in Smash 4 despite looking exactly like Pit save the color (he's actually Black Pit in Japan).

I think the issue is Nintendo tends to keep their console and mobile stuff separate it seems. So would they add a mobile character to Smash. Hard to say. He'd be the first. It's unusual as there is a precedence for it.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Anyways…what’s the opinion of Euden looking too similar to Shulk? I kinda see the similarities, but is that enough to warrant NOT getting a spot?
I'm pretty sure Euden fights nothing like Shulk. If people are playing the "Euden's aesthetically similar to Shulk" card, they're better off just bluntly saying they don't want Euden than to come up with petty excuses.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Design wise, I'd be cool with Shulk's little brother. Or is he older? I'd never know by just looking at him.

Anyway, a cool design is all I need to give a character I know nothing about a chance, be it an "anime swordsman" or a "cereal mascot". A bad one in my eyes could ruin the character forever to me, though.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Unfortunately I kinda don't think Killer Instinct would be featured in Smash even if Rare stuck around, mainly due to the fact that the games were mainly a Nintendo of America thing and they weren't actually published in Japan, unlike most of Rare's other games like DKC and Banjo.

Conker has kinda the same problem, although Live and Reloaded was released there (which means five people at most bought it because LOL Xbox in Japan).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
"The remake of his infamous game can be played on Xbox One. Or Xbox number one! *laughs*"
Actually I believe the original Bad Fur Day is now available in Japan through Rare Replay, which actually did come out there

But again, it's on Xbox so it might as well not exist there lol

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Unfortunately I kinda don't think Killer Instinct would be featured in Smash even if Rare stuck around, mainly due to the fact that the games were mainly a Nintendo of America thing and they weren't actually published in Japan, unlike most of Rare's other games like DKC and Banjo.
How come they weren’t published there?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And the portal device does NEITHER of those things.
I only stated one thing, and the Portal Gun does it in multiple ways.

You're traversing an environment via solving puzzles. Which is done with a device that allows you to move puzzle elements around the environment.

You're basically calling Link's hookshot a gun and saying Zelda is a shooter as a result.
Via shooting them.

No. I'm not calling the Hookshot a gun nor the The Legend of Zelda series a shooter. The first person targeted items bring an FPS element to the game, but they are not its core focus like it is in Portal.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
How come they weren’t published there?
If I had a guess, they probably figured that the Japanese audience wouldn't be interested in a really western oriented fighter with a super 90s X-TREME aesthetic.

The few Mortal Kombat games that came out there didn't really leave much of an impact, and that franchise has always been more popular and well known than KI, so yeah.

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Well, this same question is like is asking if Lora from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't get the spot because she look likes Hinoka from Fire Emblem Fates.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lmao of course Portal is a first person shooter, you're shooting **** in the first person. Nobody promised you a first person killer.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well, this same question is like is asking if Lora from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't get the spot because she look likes Hinoka from Fire Emblem Fates.

Neither of those two are playable in Smash though.

I don't think it's a good argument anyway but your comparison doesn't really apply here.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Having the same face is like the same argument of saying you can't have someone because they have the same name.

:4roy: Like dude, just say you don't want them instead of making a last-minute excuse as to why they shouldn't. :4feroy:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Having the same face is like the same argument of saying you can't have someone because they have the same name.

:4roy: Like dude, just say you don't want them instead of making a last-minute excuse as to why they shouldn't. :4feroy:
Same-face syndrome is a punishable crime, though. :troll:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice

Similarly, this is likes people wanting Ryu from Ninja Gaiden in Smash when there is already a Ryu (Street Fighter) in Smash. Fun Fact: His last name Hayabusa translated to "peregrine falcon" which means there is going to be another Falcon in Smash.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
June is only two weeks away…with supposedly NO Direct in sight, how do you think they’ll handle the reveal of the ARMS character? Will they shadowdrop it, or will there be a traditional presentation, like :ultbyleth:’s?

Also, do you think COVID-19 will limit translations to Sakurai’s words being on subtitles? Probably a stupid question, but I wanted to ask anyways.

7NATOR

Smash Master
For Euden, I never heard him looking similar to Shulk as a Con

it's more to do with him being similar in function to Corrin

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
June is only two weeks away…with supposedly NO Direct in sight, how do you think they’ll handle the reveal of the ARMS character? Will they shadowdrop it, or will there be a traditional presentation, like :ultbyleth:’s?

Also, do you think COVID-19 will limit translations to Sakurai’s words being on subtitles? Probably a stupid question, but I wanted to ask anyways.
Either an shadow drop or an Sakurai presentation.

7NATOR

Smash Master
But they don't look the same Dragon-Wise.

Euden looks like an actual Eeuropean Dragon, while Corrin is nothing but a mutant white Deer.
oh i wasn't talking about looks. I was talking moveset similarities. I don't know if you guys were just talking looks though, just got here

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
while Corrin is nothing but a mutant white Deer.
Uh excuse me, that's actually a form of Chinese dragon, which makes the whole dragon aspect ten times cooler.

It only happens to look like a mutant deer with man hands. That's all.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Corrin is nothing but a mutant white Deer.
With weird hoof hand hybrids...Fun!

Ok, I feel I should state that I don't hate Corrin (he's just easy to pick on), but his design as a dragon, and really, all of the playable dragons in Fire Emblem are pretty underwhelming.

The old Manaketes are just basic western dragons with no flair whatsoever, Fire Emblem Awakening's Manaketes are weird kelp dragons, and Corrin is probably the weirdest dra-...

I just realized he's supposed to be a kirin. Suddenly, everything about him (down to his personality) makes sense. The hoof hands are still weird, but I like his design a ton more now.

EDIT: Dang! His name's probably derived from the word kirin too.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If any character already in Smash should be compared to Euden, it's Corrin.
Both are exiled princes who fight their family.
Both can turn into dragons.
Both use swords.
Both are bland as hell.

It's a match made in heaven.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
For Euden, I never heard him looking similar to Shulk as a Con

it's more to do with him being similar in function to Corrin
Eh, unless Euden gains the ability to grow spears and mouths out of his arms while also trading his signature dragon for one of the most underused ones, the similarities would only go skin deep. If anything Euden runs more risk of overlapping with Roy since his base element is Fire, though to the character's credit there is an canon alt available that they could use to avoid that.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I doubt much will change outside Sakurai possibly doing his presentation in a different location. Whatever happens, I'm sure Sakurai will still be there to explain how the character works and to walk us through all the contents of the bundle, like he's always done.

And no, I don't think it'll be that hard for a real human to translate Sakurai's presentation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai's presentations are just him and him alone.

Nintendo directs involve multiple people in each one.

It's a lot easier for one person to present something, no different from before(the only thing that takes a while is making one game). As your general Nintendo Direct have multiple people next to each other, not simply switching screens to another person, it takes a lot more to make it fully. So with the pandemic in mind, I do think Nintendo Directs are going to be gone for a while. Sakurai's presentations are a one-man thing and are just way easier to do.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If any character already in Smash should be compared to Euden, it's Corrin.
Both are exiled princes who fight their family.
Both can turn into dragons.
Both use swords.
Both are bland as hell.

It's a match made in heaven.
But right now, it's time for a DEATH BAAATTTLLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Euden’s only real similarity to Shulk is his hair. They both have swords, but Shulk’s is incredibly distinguishable so it’s not really a problem. They both have very different personalities and would both function incredibly differently. And yeah, he’s got a lot of similarities to Corrin, that’s seriously not a problem. Movesets would be nothing alike. Euden’s moveset would most likely actually focus on turning into a dragon as a function. Corrin just uses it as an animation.

Anyways, I’m pretty sure we’re all super bored. If you guys could pick a powered up version of Mario to add to the game, who would it be? (ex: ice mario)
For me it’s Builder Mario as I think he could have a cool moveset outside of an alternate outfit.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai's presentations are just him and him alone.

Nintendo directs involve multiple people in each one.

It's a lot easier for one person to present something, no different from before(the only thing that takes a while is making one game). As your general Nintendo Direct have multiple people next to each other, not simply switching screens to another person, it takes a lot more to make it fully. So with the pandemic in mind, I do think Nintendo Directs are going to be gone for a while. Sakurai's presentations are a one-man thing and are just way easier to do.
But then who's gonna laugh in the background?

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice

So, StarTropics is going to be in a Nintendo Power Podcast, and maybe this is foreshadowing for Mike Jones in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom