• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
No, my example works fine you’re just not understanding. I’m not saying joker can have alt costumes so the ARMS characters can too, I’m saying Joker lost abilities so the ARMS characters can too. And because the ARMS characters can lose abilities, they can work as alt costumes. If them having unique abilities makes it impossible for them to be alt costumes, then if it is possible for them to not have those abilities in smash, it’s possible for them to work as alt costumes.
I completely agree with you on this topic. I think people are under the impression that each character implemented in smash is always 100% accurate to its original source material.
Sakurai does a good job, but at the end of the day certain abilities are added or taken away so that it makes sense in the context of smash.

-Im not too familiar with earthbound, but I hear Ness was given PK techniques that he doesn't normally have.
-Hero for sure has certain magic spells that not every hero is capable of wielding.
-As you mentioned, the one thing that made Joker unique in his own game is absent.
-Ganondorf

Overall it gets more difficult to keep characters 100% accurate if they are meant to be alternate costumes.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey guys! I made some prospective Ribbon Girl Smash alts based-off of Lola Pop, Twintelle, Min Min, and Doctor Coyle. What do you think?
I love the Lola Pop and Min Min ones. The Twintelle one's alright, but I prefer the other black costume.

It's kind of unfortunate that these aren't realistic pallet swaps for her. If she does get in, it'll likely be as an alt, which means that she'll probably just have one to four of her existing pallet swaps from ARMS.

Also, I don't think the ARMS themselves will be recolored at all since certain ARMS are pallet swaps of others (most notably the Toaster and Sparky).

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Eh? I always seen tons of talk about FPS characters like Doomguy and Master Chief, especially the former
yeah, I feel like there's a real case for a fighter to be from an FPS that capitalizes on the way megaman plays, by which I mean having projectiles used for a lot of attacks like their jab and smash attacks. Maybe even go the simon and richter route of having moves like their aerials angles be controlled, though with projectiles instead of a whip, of course.

SKX31

Smash Master
-Ganondorf
See, I've personally been of two minds about Smash Ganondorf. There's a valid argument to be made around a more unique Ganon(dorf) moveset, but at the same time, I've kinda grown to love Smash Ganondorf (unless I'm playing online ofc) - especially guys like Bizarro Flame who built his entire career out of disrespect montages. He's probably the one who helped perpetuate the "Hard Read / Disrespect" Ganon the most outside of the dev team.

Eh? I always seen tons of talk about FPS characters like Doomguy and Master Chief, especially the former
Then again, FPS character discussions are dominated by those two. Not surprising really - Doom and Halo hit a sweet spot where they are both very notable, active and are seen as having some connection - official or otherwise - to Nintendo (Doom via ports, Master Chief's often compared and contrasted with Samus in fanworks). People don't associate most other FPSes (CoD, Battlefield, BioShock) with Nintendo at all and smaller FPS games like TimeSplitters are often dormant at best (Evil Trapezium, I really wish TimeSplitters wasn't dormant. Alas.).

That said, I'd consider Gordon Freeman and Heavy / other TF2 characters to be (relatively) in this category but still have solid shots (heh). Gordon in particular is another contender for "the first FPS character".

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
See, I've personally been of two minds about Smash Ganondorf. There's a valid argument to be made around a more unique Ganon(dorf) moveset, but at the same time, I've kinda grown to love Smash Ganondorf (unless I'm playing online ofc) - especially guys like Bizarro Flame who built his entire career out of disrespect montages. He's probably the one who helped perpetuate the "Hard Read / Disrespect" Ganon the most outside of the dev team.

Then again, FPS character discussions are dominated by those two. Not surprising really - Doom and Halo hit a sweet spot where they are both very notable, active and are seen as having some connection - official or otherwise - to Nintendo (Doom via ports, Master Chief's often compared and contrasted with Samus in fanworks). People don't associate most other FPSes (CoD, Battlefield, BioShock) with Nintendo at all and smaller FPS games like TimeSplitters are often dormant at best (Evil Trapezium, I really wish TimeSplitters wasn't dormant. Alas.).

That said, I'd consider Gordon Freeman and Heavy / other TF2 characters to be (relatively) in this category but still have solid shots (heh). Gordon in particular is another contender for "the first FPS character".
INB4 Chell gets added and everyone's like "she's not an FPS character because you don't shoot people directly".
Why not both? :^)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49200431913/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49200911026/in/dateposted-public/

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Gordon is the one I want the most out of all Valve characters but I would also like seeing other Valve characters playable. Chell in particular is someone I think would fit well in Smash with the portal gun.

With Gordon you have the gravity gun and the potential for a grappler/zoner mix of a character, the first of his kind in Smash. With Chell you have the portal gun and the massive wackiness you could do with portals. With Heavy you have the minigun as a massive "**** off" tool the same way it works in TF2.

When all is said and done I would also be fine with a Counter Strike character with a mix of Counter-Terrorists and Terrorist skins.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Which characters do you think are severely slept on in regard to their DLC potential?
Before the shadowdrop, I'd have said Paper Mario. Nowadays he's everywhere.

In general, I think Rayman and Shantae are being slept on. We're in a new season of DLC so who knows what's next?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I got your new FPS rep right here

Smash has already had Perfect Dark representation in the past, predating Banjo-Kazooie as the first original Rare IP in the series
ProximityMine.jpg

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Smash has already had Perfect Dark representation in the past, predating Banjo-Kazooie as the first original Rare IP in the series

Another great leading lady of gaming dropped off the face of the earth by the 00's. If only Nintendo kept a better eye on their investments.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
INB4 Chell gets added and everyone's like "she's not an FPS character because you don't shoot people directly".
I mean...they're right. Portal is not an FPS because it's NOT a shooter. That's like calling Mirror's Edge an FPS. Or Ultima Underworld an FPS. It's a puzzle platformer by any metric.

Just because a game takes place from a first person perspective does not make it an FPS.

I find that acceptable.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Speaking of "FPS reps that would be awesome but are - sadly - probably way too low on any priority lists":

Posting about this since Bright Memory Infinite (the full game) did get to lead off Microsoft's recent Xbox Series X showcase.

Unpopular Opinion Alert
By now, surely Wiimote should be playable?​
? / 10 Needs more Nunchuks.

:4pacman: of course, I'd be for that idea.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean...they're right. Portal is not an FPS because it's NOT a shooter. That's like calling Mirror's Edge an FPS.
Last time I checked, Mirror's Edge doesn't have a gun that you use to shoot portals in first person as it's main premise.

It's still part FPS, it's just used for puzzles rather than attacking.
EDIT: At least not directly, you can still launch or throw enemies off cliffs and stuff.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion

a character i would love to see. very plausible using zss as a base.

still back here hoping for chun-li, dante, or sephiroth.
imnot sure if its one person upsetat jokers representation or more than one but joker is shown well. characters with large arsenals and various powers (inlcuding but not limited to) bayonetta. snake, Samus, links, joker, ness, and even lil mac have all had thier arsenals simplified for the sake of smash. part of smash appeal is that is it simple at face value and some of these characters come from games with combat systems so deep their own games don't explain it fully. (looking at you bayonetta). the fact joker only summons one persona is fine. bayo only summons one demon and only uses her guns. Link isnt using the rest of his large arsenal either, and samus is striped down to bare essentials (but since its a new game thats normal).

still not happy with the idea of rolling ARMs character together seems like a cop out and not in the spirit of smash portrayal of characters. but at this point i just want the character out so we can move to other things like ARMs day one tier placement discussion. lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unpopular Opinion Alert
By now, surely Wiimote should be playable?​
My personal Mii moveset would have entailed the Miis using Nintendo peripherals as weapons with the Wii mote becoming a sword or a javalin.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
but at this point i just want the character out so we can move to other things like ARMs day one tier placement discussion. lol.
"Obviously they're broken. Just look at that range!"
"Nah they're trash. Too slow."
"Shouldn't we wait to see them played at a high level before making judgements?"
"What? No! How else am I going to spit out all my hot takes?"

EDIT: That's not to say I'm not guilty of this. lol

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last time I checked, Mirror's Edge doesn't have a gun that you use to shoot portals in first person as it's main premise.
I mean, that is literally not a gun. It's a handheld portal device. Or is literally anything that projects anything a gun to you? Like, is your TV remote a gun?

Mirror's Edge also has ACTUAL guns by the way. It's still not a FPS.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, that is literally not a gun. It's a handheld portal device.
AKA: Portal Gun.

Or is literally anything that projects anything a gun to you? Like, is your TV remote a gun?
Any object who's main function that fires another object as as a projectile through the use of explosions or a similar force is a gun. A TV remote is not a gun because it just emits a specific heat signature.

EDIT: Besides, it doesn't matter if the Portal Gun is a gun or not. You're still shooting objects in first person. It's a first person shooter.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Any object who's main function that fires another object as as a projectile through the use of explosions or a similar force is a gun.
And the portal device does NEITHER of those things.

You're still shooting objects in first person. It's a first person shooter.
You're traversing an environment via solving puzzles. Which is done with a device that allows you to move puzzle elements around the environment.

You're basically calling Link's hookshot a gun and saying Zelda is a shooter as a result.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

View attachment 272084

If Rare stayed with Nintendo, we’d probably would have seen Joanna Dark, Banjo & Kazooie and a Killer Instinct character in Brawl or something.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 272084

JOANNA DARK WOULD BE ****ING DOPE

She has absolutely no chance but if god wants to reward me please add her she would be amazing

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
You're making it worse.

Seriously, I would stay away from this topic altogether, especially in a thread as busy as this one.
Dude you’re making it worse lmao
I made a joke that you definitely could’ve just not acknowledge. it was literally the last couple words in my overall post and you chose to both QUOTE and HIGHLIGHT the minuscule part and insult me for it. you are the one contributing to the problem not me

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I believe the "gloves" they wear (which are also confusingly called "ARMS") are interchangable. So Springman can equip a dragon laser on his hand as well.
The problem with this is that the Dragon Arm is distinct to Min Min. It's iconic to her. She also has the dragon arm ability which is unique to her. Having her without that would feel hallow.

Thats really the problem with this Bowser Jr concept people peddle. It strips the characters of what makes them special in order to just have more of them. Bowser Jr worked because the clown car is the real character. It worked for Hero because the character just uses a sword and magic which all of the heroes do and the series has a long legacy. With ARMS, you have a bunch of characters with unique personalities and abilities. They move and act in different ways. The ARMS themselves are unique to them. The Dragon Arms is unique to Min Min. The Chakram are unique to Ninjara. Even when character can equip similar ARMS, there are some that are identified with them.

The Bowser jr idea I feel is people who have never played ARMS. To them, the characters are all the same and they don't know a lot about the game anyway. The idea is really an injustice to the characters because it removes what makes them unique. As a fan, I'd much rather have one character, even if they weren't my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom