• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
During a four player+ Smash game in Ultimate with Ike, Lucina, Marth and Chrom all flying around with particle smoke pouring out every orifice though, I can see why that could get visually confusing in the heat of battle as the visual feedback is sometimes just a mess of capes, blades, and blue hair for a few precious seconds.
Espaeciakly for someone unfamiliar with Smash and/or Fire Emblem characters to the level that we are.

My casual friends who aren’t huge gamers only bought Banjo-Kazooie because they don’t know who the other DLC characters are.

they also don’t know what “fire emblem” even is and said about Bayonetta, “who even is that, Tina Fey with guns?”

That being said, I think those casual types of players are already pretty much covered in this iteration of Smash. Other than Crash, all of the household names are pretty much already in there.

Edit: Maybe they would recognize Lara Croft or Doom Guy. Idk, but the more casual gaming market is HUUUGE and you’d be suprised who they can and can’t recognize. My gf’s sister LOVES fire emblem but has no clue who Rosolina or Samus are.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I have a question for the folks who are very opposed to seeing Spring Man have other characters as alts due to diluting their personality. No disrespect meant, I'm just genuinely curious where everyone's desires land on this issue.

Assume that someone leaked with undeniable proof that Spring Man was the ARMS character but was unsure about other characters as alternate costumes, would you hope for Solo Spring Man or would you hope for character alts? Any other ARMS character is off-the-table to get their own DLC slot, it's an alternate costume or nothing.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Analyzing colors again are we? People seem to forget what happened with Color Theory. Byleth proved that the colors were just coincidental. Though its funny that it almost came true though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
they also don’t know what “fire emblem” even is and said about Bayonetta, “who even is that, Tina Fey with guns?”
Also known as Sarah Palin.

Edit: Maybe they would recognize Lara Croft or Doom Guy. Idk, but the more casual gaming market is HUUUGE and you’d be suprised who they can and can’t recognize. My gf’s sister LOVES fire emblem but has no clue who Rosolina or Samus are.
Yes, Lara Croft!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I have a question for the folks who are very opposed to seeing Spring Man have other characters as alts due to diluting their personality. No disrespect meant, I'm just genuinely curious where everyone's desires land on this issue.

Assume that someone leaked with undeniable proof that Spring Man was the ARMS character but was unsure about other characters as alternate costumes, would you hope for Solo Spring Man or would you hope for character alts? Any other ARMS character is off-the-table to get their own DLC slot, it's an alternate costume or nothing.
i'd go with alts, might as well squeeze some extra people in there so why not

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
My only real gripe with them going the alt route for the ARMS rep is that I know for a fact that we won't be getting the non Spring Man stock icons added here till a good 9 months or so after release.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I remember back when ult just came out there was a tweet comparing Shulk and Incineroar's walking animations with the virgin vs Chad meme (respectively), but I couldn't find it. So pretend I posted that and said "the virgin anime swordsman vs the Chad cereal mascot" and that it was funny.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...about Bayonetta, “who even is that, Tina Fey with guns?”
No. She's a secretary with guns.

Assume that someone leaked with undeniable proof that Spring Man was the ARMS character but was unsure about other characters as alternate costumes, would you hope for Solo Spring Man or would you hope for character alts?
I'd hope for Spring Man on his own.

Given the time to think about it on my own though, I'm not as opposed to mashing Spring Man and Ribbon Girl together as I used to be. Spring Man is very grounded, and Ribbon Girl is very aerial oriented, and mixing the two playstyles would yield a fighter that is much more versatile than the originals (EDIT: Which makes sense since they're being put into a platform fighter). I'd still rather each of ARMS's represented characters retain their playstyle in full, but if we had to make an alt situation, I wouldn't be mad at this scenario. EDIT EDIT: Or Min Min on her own but that wasn't part of the question.

Still don't want Ninjara and/or Min Min thrown into the mix though. Their abilities aren't nearly as synergistic with the other two and don't even make sense on them, and I don't want any of the character's abilities to be removed completely for the sake of representation nor do I want them to just be flavor animations.

Also, I probably should have said this earlier, but I was never opposed to whoever the character is using the ARMS of another character. Whoever they pick should have their ARMS front and center, but there's no reason to not give them other ARMS for variety within the moveset, especially since mixing and matching ARMS is one of the game's core features.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I would hope for more characters alts if Spring Man is all we know for sure solely because I despise Spring Man. He nearly single handily makes ARMS unpleasant for me to play at times because I find his voice lines to be incredibly grating to have to listen to in fights against him, so adding that to Smash is nothing but a negative to me. I just literally like nothing about him as a character, and in a game that otherwise has some great character designs, I can't really voice how incredibly damn disappointing it would be to get stuck with just him.

People can call that maybe a bit of hyperbole, but I just blatantly do not care for the character at all. I'll put it this way, ARMS is a solid addition to Smash Ultimate that isn't necessarily my favorite choice, but if the character is just Spring Man, it literally becomes my least favorite character addition in Ultimate in an instant.

If we got only a Ribbon Girl alt, that would be a huge improvement because her worst trait is just being a bit vanilla, and really the more the merrier I see with ARMS since I tend to like most of the other characters and also I think the major gameplay diversity in ARMS comes more from the ARMS themselves rather than the different characters themselves, so it could work well for me. I know some people would disagree with that statement, but that's my take on ARMS.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Solo Spring Man if we’re gonna get him. I mean, we can get other characters in future games anyways.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Of course I don't. As someone who likes how good Smash is at animating characters with love and attention, treating Arms like a placeholder character with 4-8 fighters as skins would look terrible.

I don't see how anyone could look at Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min and Ninjara and figure "yea, they could all move the same way and it would make sense." It would look super cheap and defeat the entire purpose of adding an Arms character.

To me it's like saying Ryu should have been added with Guile, Akuma and Chun-Li alts. Makes absolutely no sense.
I don't want it either. But us not wanting it in no way means it isn't a possibility.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My only real gripe with them going the alt route for the ARMS rep is that I know for a fact that we won't be getting the non Spring Man stock icons added here till a good 9 months or so after release.
Ssssss, y'know, they could but adding emotes is so hard, y'know? Like, it's a lot of effort to grab a .png off of the official website and plug it in. That's just like... too much work, y'know?

We can give you this, though. :lgbtasriel: I don't know what it's for but it's clearly got priority to be here. this is an /s and me seriously not knowing what it's here for

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I don't expect anything outside Spring Man with a Ribbon Girl alt, I'd be fine with other characters getting in as an alt too.

I understand people want a more accurate representation of their favorite character, but the hard truth is that anyone who isn't the character Sakurai chooses probably won't be getting in Smash unless they become an alt. Adding other characters as alts would be a great way to cater to fans of other characters and leave fewer people out.

At the very least, I don't think anyone should reject more alts if their reason has something to do with them wanting their character to have all the attention for themselves.

D

Deleted member

May feels like a breeze than last May and the past few months now that we've passed the halfway mark. Once June hits, ****'s gonna slow to a crawl until we reach to the ARMS rep reveal. Quite frankly, the discussion around ARMS has tuned me out of speculation because of how uninterested I am with the topic and potential outcomes of the reveal, so I can't wait for us to be done with this and move on to the next empty news cycle afterwards.

With that said however, I'm lowkey into Lola Pop being chosen now, so let's go clown girl!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i do want to point out that in many cases, the character's background color will make the character themselves "pop" more. Like Joker, who wears black, "pops" on his dark maroon bg, and Terry on his light blue. Hero's an exception to this and tbh using nearly the same shade of lavender as his outfit wasn't such a good idea. it's muted and his outfit seems to almost blend in with the bg.

Max Brass would probably blend in with the brass colored bg, not "pop". Min Min would pop, as while she's blonde and her ramen arms are a light yellow, she wears mostly greens and bright oranges.

look how far i've fallen. im humoring this theory save me

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nah, that bootleg Color Theory doesn't look solid enough. If you gotta mention that Terry's was an "error" I gotta throw it out the window immediately.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Way I see it, if we´re talking only one character with no Echoes or Alts, the three characters with the best shot would be:

- Spring Man, as he's the mascot.
- Min Min, as she's the most popular.
- If they really want to go with someone that´s currently not in the game yet in any form... then Max Brass.

Most of the other characters either aren't in the spotlight too much or are way too gimmicky to represent the "most basic" form of ARMS gameplay through Smash imo (like Dr. Coyle, Twintelle, Byte & Barq or Misango).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Be disappointed and move on, most likely
It's her punishment for overshadowing M!Byleth x Edelgard fanart
Sorry dude, Fire Emblem is a gays only experience

osby

Smash Obsessed
i do want to point out that in many cases, the character's background color will make the character themselves "pop" more. Like Joker, who wears black, "pops" on his dark maroon bg, and Terry on his light blue. Hero's an exception to this and tbh using nearly the same shade of lavender as his outfit wasn't such a good idea. it's muted and his outfit seems to almost blend in with the bg.

Max Brass would probably blend in with the brass colored bg, not "pop". Min Min would pop, as while she's blonde and her ramen arms are a light yellow, she wears mostly greens and bright oranges.

Yeah, that's a bigger stretch than the sum of ARMS cast. You outright admitted that it isn't true for Hero.

Also, if we're using the color wheel, a primarily dark blue or purple character would "pop" in front of yellow font, not someone who mostly has warm colors in her design.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of cereal box mascots in Smash, I say we cut all of them, starting with this one.
c_1669_super_mario_cereal_front.jpg

His red-hatted tyranny has gone on for too long!

Koopaul

Smash Champion

Solo Spring Man. I don't want them to sacrifice what makes each fighter unique for the sake of squeezing more characters in. It works in certain very specific circumstances but it doesn't here.

What if I was to asked the community if they hoped Terry have alts of the other Fatal Fury fighters? It sounds kind of crazy doesn't it?

osby

Smash Obsessed
On the topic of cereal box mascots in Smash, I say we cut all of them, starting with this one.

His red-hatted tyranny has gone on for too long!
I know people say Mario is way too important for Super Mario to cut but when you have multiple plumbers, cutting out the fat is a must. Sorry if anyone is offended but Luigi uses a Poltergust, Wario has his bike and Dr. Mario throws pills instead of fireballs. Mario is simply the most generic cartoon plumber on the roster and it gets harder and harder to justify his inclusion with each cereal mascot added.

I'd say making him an alt for Luigi and cutting Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and PP would both free slots in order to allow the inclusion of more diverse and important characters and represent the iconic plumber-princess-turtle triangle that Super Mario is known for better. Plus, there's no real reason to keep Mario when next Smash will have a much smaller cast.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Solo Spring Man. I don't want them to sacrifice what makes each fighter unique for the sake of squeezing more characters in. It works in certain very specific circumstances but it doesn't here.

What if I was to asked the community if they hoped Terry have alts of the other Fatal Fury fighters? It sounds kind of crazy doesn't it?
I do remember people suggesting Terry be in a trio unit with Kyo and either Nakoruru or Mai. aside from seeing how that turned out, there were so many issues with that concept lol

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I don't think the color means anything, but I decided to test that theory:
ARMS.png

Ninjara's definitely making the most contrast here, whereas Ribbons's hair is completely getting lost, as is Mechanica's mech. Brass/Ninjara/Springo look the best with this background color, imho.

(also I'm noting how some characters, like Springo, have several transparent renders on the ARMS wiki, while the rest... don't, if we want to go back to the 'who's the mascot' debate)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If you want my take on who it could be, I think it's between Spring-Man, Min-Min, Twintelle, Dr. Coyle, and Max Brass.

My reasonings for these choices are:

Spring-Man- Poster-boy
Min-Min- Fan favorite and winner of the ARMS Party Crash
Twintelle- Other fan favorite
Dr. Coyle- Main antagonist
Max Brass- Important in-universe figure and somewhat of a mascot

If I had to rank them for how likely I think each of them are it'd go:

1. Max Brass
2. Dr. Coyle
3. Spring-Man (Hinges on promotions)
4. Min-Min (Also hinges promotions)
5. Twintelle (Hinges on promotions too but tbh she's the least likely out of all these)

Honorable mention goes to Ribbon Girl but I can't see her happening without Spring-Man.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I know people say Mario is way too important for Super Mario to cut but when you have multiple plumbers, cutting out the fat is a must. Sorry if anyone is offended but Luigi uses a Poltergust, Wario has his bike and Dr. Mario throws pills instead of fireballs. Mario is simply the most generic cartoon plumber on the roster and it gets harder and harder to justify his inclusion with each cereal mascot added.

I'd say making him an alt for Luigi and cutting Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and PP would both free slots in order to allow the inclusion of more diverse and important characters and represent the iconic plumber-princess-turtle triangle that Super Mario is known for better. Plus, there's no real reason to keep Mario when next Smash will have a much smaller cast.
I agree. Also, I hate the color red, therefore Mario should either be removed or be a Luigi alt

/s

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

That's kind of a bad false equivalency though. The ARMS roster doesn't play that differently from one another at the end of the day by nature of ARMS. Yes, they have some unique attributes per character with a couple of abilities and much more specific abilities on characters we weren't going to get anyway (Byte and Barq for example), but ARMS also inherently tries to create diversity in gameplay by relying on unique arms that equip to each character, most of which can be used by most of the roster. And at the end of the day, ARMS just simply doesn't come anywhere close to any conventional fighter in the way you play it or can use moves. Everything in the game has to be mapped or directly correlated with a Left Punch or a Right Punch input in some way. There are no unique inputs in ARMS, just unique abilities assigned to the few existing functions already in the game, with the already more prevalent unique qualities of different arms being shared between much of the playable roster.

It's not as ridiculous of an idea as I think some people believe it to be. ARMS isn't particularly deep as an experience (again, limited inputs are a huge cause of this), nor does its inherent structure allow for the same sort of standards you'd see with other fighting games. I just don't think it's fair to go "Would you hope if Terry has alts of other Fatal Fury fighters" when talking ARMS specifically for that reason. Like I don't think many people are going to be heartbroken if say we got Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, but Ribbon Girl didn't have an extra third jump compared to Spring Man just a small example of something that isn't that important if we're going for a composite character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Ken, Akuma or Sakura can't be alts of Ryu....

I don't think the ARMS character should have alts of others...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If Ken, Akuma or Sakura can't be alts of Ryu....

I don't think the ARMS character should have alts of others...
Wasn't there a Ken alt on Ryu in Smash 4 anyway (not Ken himself, but one largely based on Ken), and they literally just made him an Echo too? And like, isn't it a little ridiculous to compare Street Fighter to ARMS of all thing in terms of what deserves more unique character representation?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wasn't there a Ken alt on Ryu in Smash 4 anyway (not Ken himself, but one largely based on Ken)
A Ken color, but not Ken himself.

and they literally just made him an Echo too?
The most unique echo of the bunch.

And like, isn't it a little ridiculous to compare Street Fighter to ARMS of all thing in terms of what deserves more unique character representation?
Yes, but... that's not what you argued before.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The term "Cereal Mascot" is such a crap attempt at a rebuttal against the term "Anime Swordsman". Cartoony aesthetic varies far more than humanoid anime style and to suggest otherwise is dishonest.

I've no beef with Anime swordmen but to suggest that "cereal mascot" cartoony characters are as visually repetitive is tripe.
It's all bull**** anyway.

Like, I don't care how one feels about FE or Banjo/Mario, those two "style" of characters encompass like 80% of video game protagonists. Some people would complain about Dante, Crash or whoever strictly because another character they don't like is has a vaguely similar aesthetic.

I say what I'll always say, just shill the characters you actually like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom