• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Y'know who should've gotten the Hero treatment?

Link.

OoT Link appeals to the Melee fans.
TP Link appeals to the guys that started playing in Brawl
SS Link finally gets his shot to be in Smash beyond an alt costume
BOTW LINK FINALLY GETS RID OF THAT HORRENDOUS LOOKING HERO OF THE WILD COSTUME.

And really, the only thing that'd be "weird" would be the bombs, but honestly if ZSS can have jet heels and plasma whips, BotW having some spare Sheikah slates isn't too out of the question.
I didn't even think of that and you're right.

Swole OoT Link in HD would have been kind of cool.

EDIT: But having 3 of them being green would have been a bit much. Don't want to repeat Cloud's issues.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Yo. I just had this thought.
A lot of people are speculating that Spring Man's Assist Trophy will be replaced by Springtron.
But what about the Healing Field item? It literally functions exactly like the Health Bottle from ARMS.

Shroob

Sup?
A lot of people are speculating that Spring Man's Assist Trophy will be replaced by Springtron.
But what about the Healing Field item? It literally functions exactly like the Health Bottle from ARMS.
I doubt they'd change something that's Smash original.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
OoT Link appeals to the Melee fans.
TP Link appeals to the guys that started playing in Brawl
SS Link finally gets his shot to be in Smash beyond an alt costume
BOTW LINK FINALLY GETS RID OF THAT HORRENDOUS LOOKING HERO OF THE WILD COSTUME.
I agree 149% Hell, I'd pay more for character costumes than I would for Mii Costumes, and I buy all of those anyway.

But as far as the Tunic of the Wild goes, I agree that it's ugly, but what really bothers me is those dorky ass shorts. That's why I use the teal alt. It looks passable, as it gives Link brown leggings. Though I'd still prefer proper OOT/TP/SS alts. You know? LIKE THEY HAD AS COSTUMES IN BREATH OF THE WILD?!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That is something to consider.

People think Spring Man is the 'safe' choice, but... he's really not. To us, the idiots that spend way too much time debating the probability of fictional characters being selected to be in our game for children, sure, he seems safe.

But to the average person?

No, the average person will react like:

"HUH?! BUT ISN'T HE AN ASSIST TROPHY?! HOW?! HOOOOW?! SAKURAI HOW?!"
I'm pretty certain you and I have different standards of the average person.
I doubt even the average Smash fan has an encylopedic knowledge of the ATs

Shroob

Sup?
I'm pretty certain you and I have different standards of the average person.
I doubt even the average Smash fan has an encylopedic knowledge of the ATs
Doesn't really need an encyclopedic knowledge when I'd argue the majority of people play with items.

I feel like most casuals would instantly recognize Spring Man as "That one Assist Trophy" if we suddenly got a trailer. They may not know him by name, but if you play with Assists on, it's kind of hard not to notice him since he's one of the more memorable Assists.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Doesn't really need an encyclopedic knowledge when I'd argue the majority of people play with items.

I feel like most casuals would instantly recognize Spring Man as "That one Assist Trophy" if we suddenly got a trailer. They may not know him by name, but if you play with Assists on, it's kind of hard not to notice him since he's one of the more memorable Assists.
Are we the no fun elitists that play Stock Matches with no items? :(

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They would likely just copy and paste the code to develop the Health Bottle stage hazard more easily. Or alternatively, the little robots could bring in any item, and the healing field would just be reskinned to the Health Bottle.

EDIT: It'd probably be the first one, or a mix of the two since you also have to make the Energy Bottle as well.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
As much as some people dislike the idea of making a compostire character with Springman, Ribbon girl, Min min, and Ninjara, at the end of the day I do think it is a very real possibility and it's not like we don't already have precedent for Sakurai/Nintendo taking away a character's "uniqueness" for the sake of fitting them in the roster or getting as many characters in as possible.

-Dark Samus easily could have been a unique character, and has shown to have unique abilities in Smash itself even, with her (it?)Smash 4 AT, yet they decided to make Dark Samus a Samus clone.

-While I'm not a huge Dragon Quest fan, and have only played a couple games in the series (3DS versions of DQ7 and 8), I've heard that the 4 heroes in Smash do have unique abilities or skills from eachother in their actual games. Hell, from what I vaguely recall of Dragon Quest 8, I feel like I recall that 8's hero could use a weapon other than a Sword (Spear I think? Been a while since I touched the game) yet they didn't allow that in Smash so that 8's hero could mix with the other 3.

-They made Ganondorf a semi-clone of Captain Falcon of all ****ing characters.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Shroob

Sup?
As much as some people dislike the idea of making a compostire character with Springman, Ribbon girl, Min min, and Ninjara, at the end of the day I do think it is a very real possibility and it's not like we don't already have precedent for Sakurai/Nintendo taking away a character's "uniqueness" for the sake of fitting them in the roster or getting as many characters in as possible.

-Dark Samus easily could have been a unique character, and has shown to have unique abilities in Smash itself even, with her (it?)Smash 4 AT, yet they decided to make Dark Samus a Samus clone.

-While I'm not a huge Dragon Quest fan, and have only played a couple games in the series (3DS versions of DQ7 and 8), I've heard that the 4 heroes in Smash do have unique abilities or skills from eachother in their actual games. Hell, from what I vaguely recall of Dragon Quest 8, I feel like I recall that 8's hero could use a weapon other than a Sword (Spear I think? Been a while since I touched the game) yet they didn't allow that in Smash so that 8's hero could mix with the other 3.

The Dragon Quest heroes work as a composite because at the end of the day, all you're really doing is selecting spells from a box. They're different in that they specialize in different stats sure, but I don't think you can make a convincing argument for "This character crits more often" or "This one leans on Magic more often" as valid reasons to sepatate them. 8 can use multiple weapons yeah, but so can someone like Ness.

When I look at someone like Min Min, there's just no way to make her a composite of Spring Man since, ya know, she has a gun on one of her hands.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I remember during speculation, there was one idea that I read that I always had sit a little longer.

Do you think it's possible Skull Kid and Vaati would get in, but be echoes (one of the other)?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you think it's possible Skull Kid and Vaati would get in, but be echoes (one of the other)?
Considering their skill sets and proportions and personality are so radically different, it wouldn't fly.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKBKGCj06Fk

So Aaronitmar breaks down some hints at Rayman being DLC. I don't necessarily believe anything he brings up is nothing more than coincidence as it almost always ends up being, but it's still pretty interesting.

I always felt Rayman was planned for Smash 4 since the inclusion of his trophy was really strange and literally the only reference to a third party franchise in the game without having a playable character, but now with Ultimate many third party franchises are represented without a rep so who knows.

My conspiracy theory always has been that Rayman was indeed planned for Smash 4 but then he was cut because of Rayman Legends going from a Wii U exclusive to any other console in existence, so maybe there was a deal or it was simply revenge.

Still, Rayman in Smash makes absolutely sense and is one of the few big platform gaming icon remaining out of the roster, so here's hoping.

Calane

Smash Ace
If you're meaning game companies, its more of game franchises.

Cloud's the face of Final Fantasy, Banjo is of his titular series and Hero alongside Erdrick, Solo and Eight are of their titular games.
I know this isn't important, but the hero of DQ 11's name is actually Eleven. That's even what he was called when his game crossed over with "Final Fantasy Brave Exvius":
FF X DQ.jpg
Just thought I'd explain that since you called all the other heroes by their names (or title in Erdrick's case).

Actually the mascot for Dragon Quest is Slime.

The main heroes aren't anywhere near mascot status.

They barely show up in crossovers at all.
Going by how Michael the Spikester's post was worded, I believe he was saying that the heroes are the faces of their particular games, in which case he'd be right. Oh, and they actually appeared in more crossovers than you'd think.

Some of them showed up in Dragon Quest Rivals, Itadaki Street Special, the Battle Road games, Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, and Eleven showed up in some FF spin-off as I mentioned above.

Truth is, Dragon Quest doesn't really do crossovers very much. As far as I know, the only ones that none of the heroes make appearances in are the Fortune Street/Itadaki Street games (besides Special), and the two DQ Heroes games.

However, if you're saying that they don't make many appearances in spin-offs and not specifically crossovers, then you'd be right.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord

Dark Samus was added as an echo because of being a highly requested character. So while they couldn't justify making her a unique newcomer, they settled for making her an echo to squeeze in more characters. It's a different circumstance. Similar with Ganondorf, where the situation was "how do we get more characters in with limited time and resources?"

With Hero it's also a different circumstance. If you want to rep dragon quest you would have to decide which protagonist should be included, and it wouldn't be unlikely that someone figured that multiple heroes were popular enough to be worth it. If the dev and the squeenix contacts agreed it was fine to sacrifice uniqueness in order to have more heroes represented, then it makes sense given you don't just toss in third party characters any day. It's a special occasion.

For Arms I don't think there's a real reason to sacrifice each character's uniqueness just to get a bunch of them in. Not only would it be complicated and look terrible in most circumstances, you would also have to, for some reason, make more models than you really need to. The fact they come from a fighting game also means they have animations that are much more detailed and individual in their game of origin, so it would stand out far more if Spring Man in smash was suddenly doing kung fu poses like Min Min.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With ARMS it's also a different circumstance. If you want to rep ARMS you would have to decide which fighter should be included, and it wouldn't be unlikely that someone figured that multiple fighters were popular enough to be worth it. If Nintendo and the ARMS team agreed it was fine to sacrifice uniqueness in order to have more characters represented, then it makes sense.
Ftfy

Just admit that you don't want it to happen.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I always felt Rayman was planned for Smash 4 since the inclusion of his trophy was really strange and literally the only reference to a third party franchise in the game without having a playable character,
It wasn't, Bit.Trip got a CommanderVideo trophy.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Ftfy

Just admit that you don't want it to happen.
Of course I don't. As someone who likes how good Smash is at animating characters with love and attention, treating Arms like a placeholder character with 4-8 fighters as skins would look terrible.

I don't see how anyone could look at Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min and Ninjara and figure "yea, they could all move the same way and it would make sense." It would look super cheap and defeat the entire purpose of adding an Arms character.

To me it's like saying Ryu should have been added with Guile, Akuma and Chun-Li alts. Makes absolutely no sense.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Anyone ever think of the possibility that the Smash team found a way to make every ARMS character playable?

It just seems like a very Smash Bros thing to do because... Everyone is here?

Shroob

Sup?
Anyone ever think of the possibility that the Smash team found a way to make every ARMS character playable?

29.99 for what, an extra 15 characters plus the other 5 dlc slots?

Ya that'd be an insane deal rofl.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord

My question would be why. Arms fans will buy this DLC and love it no matter who it is. Doing 15 characters, each with animations and unique skeletons, would be absurd.

To me it's like the idea way back of "what if Byleth was in the background and summoned each of the house leaders?". Super cool idea, but as we saw it was significantly simpler to just add one and give it the weapons of the other characters.

In this case why not just add one Arms character and give that character Arms other characters use? Isn't that the more obvious conclusion?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Meanwhile I’m sitting here wishing Alph was indeed an Olimar echo or semi-clone so he could actually blink while idle and have his own taunts and other animations + his own ship, and that both him and Olimar had their voices. Seriously why were they treated this way ;-;

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It makes me sad that so many of my most wanted characters are Mario characters, which means that they're likely in direct competition with each other.
Toad, Waluigi, Geno, Paper Mario, King Boo.
Toad and Waluigi should have been playable since Brawl.
I can understand Toad, due to his important to the series, but why should Waluigi, a character from only spin-off titles, have gotten in since Brawl? He has little importance to the Super Mario series overall and was created solely so Wario would have a doubles partner in Mario Tennis. Like, I love Waluigi, but he hasn't really had that much importance. This is why I champion Waluigi being added to the Wario Land and/or WarioWare series..it would be a dual-purpose thing, it would give Waluigi more importance while making his chances higher as he could be added as a Wario representative instead of a Mario one.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
i'll admit i'm weird about rayman
i love his games, but for whatever reason i don't care much for the prospect of him in smash
For me it's the complete opposite: his games bore me with how little there is to do and how slow they are. I'd very much welcome gimmicks in the faster paced environment that Ultimate is! And he fits decently well too!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My personal wishlist is at least 50% cereal box mascots.
I still support Frogger, Q*Bert, Earthworm Jim, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ristar, NiGHTS, etc.
100% NES-era action stars over here!

Dat Hayabusa! Dat Arthur! Dat Rizer! Dat Kunio!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Meanwhile I’m sitting here wishing Alph was indeed an Olimar echo or semi-clone so he could actually blink while idle and have his own taunts and other animations + his own ship, and that both him and Olimar had their voices. Seriously why were they treated this way ;-;
I don't think he really had any good chance for an Echo/Clone status either. 4 was the best chance, but Pikmin & Captain, the specific character all around, lacked ideas to separate them. This is the thing that made Dark Pit plausible(since Sakurai's team had very easy ideas of what to do. The Dark Pit Staff and the Electro Arm are both super easy to use assets from Uprising. Did the Rock Pikmin have easy animations to go with from any 3DS game? I think there was a 3DS Pikmin game, but I could be wrong). You also have to think of why they would, which is going to be about the Pikmin first. Look how little they care about the Captain personalities alone. You can tell it's not a priority. So you have Rock Pikmin, who couldn't even made it in as an option for Olimar. It is a new Pikmin that also requires extra model changes. Just being a Trophy won't cut it. They need to fully animate as well. If the Rock Pikmin didn't show up in a 3DS game where they normally move, it gets harder to reuse that asset to make it fast.

For Ultimate, there's not a lot of demand for Pikmin & Alph either as a character. Coupled with no new games or re-releases, there's even less priority. The focus is blatantly intended to be on the Pikmin to a lot of the degree, and Solimar/Salph isn't exactly treated like a favorable way to play. Sakurai even lampshades how useless Olimar is(in Brawl) without the Pikmin on the character page. Once 4 comes around, you can't do a true Solimar either(thanks to the Up B now being a Pikmin, not a Pikmin Chain anymore). While it's small, he is showing that they're always a core part of the character. So making an echo isn't just about Alph, it's also about the Pikmin. So low priority plus no new Pikmin ideas and it adds up a lot why it wasn't really odd at all why they weren't remotely split off.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike how personality-less they are too. Not the lack of voices, but they could at least slightly make their taunts look more accurate to the character, without changing the animations so they affect gameplay, at the very least. Voices would be fine of course, if not encouraged.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I still support Frogger, Q*Bert, Earthworm Jim, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ristar, NiGHTS, etc.
But no Bubsy. He's always been trash.
That's fine..my wishlist is almost entirely anime swordsmen..I know, many believe we have too many...its also mostly women, which I do feel we still need more of.
ezgif-3-749d838ce517.gif

Saber|Artoria Pendragon (Fate/stay night)
2B (NieR Automata)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria) [While having a sword, she fights so oddly that I hardly consider her a swordsman)
Asuka (Senran Kagura)
Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I actually believe getting a Spring Man and a bonus Ribbon Girl Echo fighter is more likely than getting ARMS alts. And I think getting a bonus echo fighter is really unlikely.

Yeah this multiple ARMS fighters as alts thing is absurd. No one would be proposing this idea for any other series. Just ARMS.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can understand Toad, due to his important to the series, but why should Waluigi, a character from only spin-off titles, have gotten in since Brawl? He has little importance to the Super Mario series overall and was created solely so Wario would have a doubles partner in Mario Tennis. Like, I love Waluigi, but he hasn't really had that much importance. This is why I champion Waluigi being added to the Wario Land and/or WarioWare series..it would be a dual-purpose thing, it would give Waluigi more importance while making his chances higher as he could be added as a Wario representative instead of a Mario one.
And others always have? PP held none, yet it didn't matter. PP also took moves that only were in the RPG's/spin-offs. So clearly the spin-offs do matter. On the other hand, in those spin-offs, Waluigi does actually hold importance by being part of more than one story mode. PP doesn't do that either. As the franchise of Super Mario is represented heavily through main games and spin-offs? Yeah, I'd say the spin-offs matter, especially with no legitimate canon in the Mario franchise. They don't actually try to denote the spin-offs are really more or less important than the "core" Mario games(and the Core games are just literally platformers. Super Mario Run and Super Mario Land are among them. Super Mario Land was always treated as a spin-off till Nintendo said otherwise). The literal difference between spin-off and core is whether it's a platformer or not. With no actual canon, the term importance is a very misleading term to begin with. And when we have a generic enemy, who holds less importance that Waluigi has in any game? That point doesn't really click anymore. But it never did.

The thing is? We don't know why Waluigi isn't playable yet. Toad at least has the issue of having no specific abilities that he and only he can do. Waluigi does(air swimming). Could it be Waluigi doesn't have an entire moveset Sakurai could envision? Does Nintendo not want him to be used(Nintendo does have a lot more control than people think, after all. Sakurai cannot do whatever he wants. He isn't even choosing the Fighter's Pass 1 or 2, Nintendo is) as playable? Maybe Sakurai doesn't like the character(which we have no way of knowing either way)? There's multiple reasons why he isn't a fighter yet. Considering Rosalina's moveset is made out of thin air, it's more likely Sakurai has no visions for how he could work(he couldn't figure out ideas for freaking Pac-Man, so it's clear not every character will click to him) or Nintendo is denying the idea in the first place.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Spring Man does not break the Assist Trophy Rule.

Little Mac, Dark Samus and Isabelle have already done this.
They were Assists in a previous game that got added in a later title. Spring-Man, if added would be playable and an assist at the same time, in the same game. Which hasn't been done before.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
But no Bubsy. He's always been trash.
i'm a bit of the opposite
there's very few cereal mascots at this point that i personally want
not that i'd dislike, say, crash, not by any means, just that in terms of personal wants by myself, i only really got like
bomberman and klonoa
and i guess quote, if he even counts as a cereal mascot in the first place

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
:ultjoker: is red, but he's always wearing black.
Joker's color was Red = Red was the main color associated with Persona 5
Joker also had his game's colour for his background and his moveset also downplayed some of his individual character traits in favour of emphasizing the general themes and motifs of Persona 5.
Joker has red gloves, you know....
Alternatively, Arsene is also that shade of red

all the website colors for each character do still come from the character themselves, and not just for the sake of having a color
and while they're not all the primary character colors, doing that doesn't look as nice on a bright colorful webpage, and also some of the characters would be harder to see that way

Even WFT, as minor as it is, still has the green for her soccer ball, and yes Olimar's green takes from the leaves on a Pikmin antenna, or Incineroar and Pokemon Trainer's yellow from his eyes and their bags, respectively

Cloud's is a bit of a stretch but it IS the color of Mako energy, the same colors show up in his sword strikes, and Cloud's eyes are usually meant to be a similar color

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
i mean, i don't really think a character's background color needs to be something related to the character, as long as it just complements or contrasts well with the character
terry, for example, has red as his "main color", so to say, but he still goes well with a blue background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom