• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but if you go to the official website's character section, you'll notice that the slot where the ARMS character will go has a little note on it saying "Coming June 2020". What's interesting about this, you say? It's the color. It's a very ARMS-like yellow. If you look back at older versions of the site (like here on the Wayback Machine), you can see that Hero and Banjo have these same notices, with each corresponding to their character color. Could the yellow be the ARMS character's color? Could this tell us something? I dunno.
Probably not. The character would not have to have any yellow in their design seeing as a few characters like Byleth and Wii Fit Trainer have backgrounds that are colors that aren't in their design. But let's humor this a bit and assume that ARMS character will have even the slightest bit of yellow. That only leaves out Spring Man, Ninjara, and Springtron. Everyone else has an object, accessory, or design that's yellow. Yeah, that doesn't really narrow it down.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but if you go to the official website's character section, you'll notice that the slot where the ARMS character will go has a little note on it saying "Coming June 2020". What's interesting about this, you say? It's the color. It's a very ARMS-like yellow. If you look back at older versions of the site (like here on the Wayback Machine), you can see that Hero and Banjo have these same notices, with each corresponding to their character color. Could the yellow be the ARMS character's color? Could this tell us something? I dunno.
I wouldn't be surprised if the color's yellow, but that doesn't necessarily mean much, considering that a character's 'main color' isn't always the BG color they get.

:ultdk: is yellow, even though he's obviously brown.
:ultsamus: is grey, even though she's obviously red.
:ultfox: is blue, but he really doesn't have a main color.
:ultness: is red, even though only his hat is red.
:ultzelda: is yellow, but her main colors are white and pink.
:ultdoc: is a dull red, but he'd obviously be white.
:ultganondorf: is a dark purple, but only his magic is in game, he'd get brown or red otherwise.
:ultroy: is green, even though he'd be better with blue or red.
:ultpit: is light blue, even though his main color is white.
:ultdarkpit: is purple, matches a bit better, but his main color is black.
:ultpokemontrainer: is yellow, but only his backpack is in game. His name is literally "Red."
:ultolimar: is greenish, but he's wearing yellow and can't get any green pikmin. Only their leaves are green, and not that shade.
:ultvillager: is dark green, which only one of his alts wears.
:ultwiifittrainer: is green, but is most associated with blue and white.
:ultrobin: is purple, but wears black.
:ultken: is white, but he's always wearing red.
:ultcloud: is dull green, but every one of his costumes is a grey or black.
:ultincineroar: is yellow, but is definitely red.
:ultjoker: is red, but he's always wearing black.
:ultbyleth: is pale green, but they're only wearing black with blue hair.

A lot of those seem to be taking the background color from the franchise's logo, not necessarily the character. And nobody will deny that the ARMS logo is associated with yellow.

I think that's really all there is to it. We can't use that to predict the character.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The background being yellow could be a point in favour of the fighter being multiple characters, as the background reflects series representation over individual representation, but given how characters have shown up with unexpected background colours before, it could just as easily mean nothing.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wouldn't be surprised if the color's yellow, but that doesn't necessarily mean much, considering that a character's 'main color' isn't always the BG color they get.

:ultdk: is yellow, even though he's obviously brown.
:ultsamus: is grey, even though she's obviously red.
:ultfox: is blue, but he really doesn't have a main color.
:ultness: is red, even though only his hat is red.
:ultzelda: is yellow, but her main colors are white and pink.
:ultdoc: is a dull red, but he'd obviously be white.
:ultganondorf: is a dark purple, but only his magic is in game, he'd get brown or red otherwise.
:ultroy: is green, even though he'd be better with blue or red.
:ultpit: is light blue, even though his main color is white.
:ultdarkpit: is purple, matches a bit better, but his main color is black.
:ultpokemontrainer: is yellow, but only his backpack is in game. His name is literally "Red."
:ultolimar: is greenish, but he's wearing yellow and can't get any green pikmin. Only their leaves are green, and not that shade.
:ultvillager: is dark green, which only one of his alts wears.
:ultwiifittrainer: is green, but is most associated with blue and white.
:ultrobin: is purple, but wears black.
:ultken: is white, but he's always wearing red.
:ultcloud: is dull green, but every one of his costumes is a grey or black.
:ultincineroar: is yellow, but is definitely red.
:ultjoker: is red, but he's always wearing black.
:ultbyleth: is pale green, but they're only wearing black with blue hair.

A lot of those seem to be taking the background color from the franchise's logo, not necessarily the character. And nobody will deny that the ARMS logo is associated with yellow.

I think that's really all there is to it. We can't use that to predict the character.
I think Ken is the colors he is because he's the opposite of Ryu.
Ryu = Red but primarily wears white
Ken = White but primarily wears red

I think there's a specific term for this, but I cannot remember it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The background being yellow could be a point in favour of the fighter being multiple characters, as the background reflects series representation over individual representation, but given how characters have shown up with unexpected background colours before, it could just as easily mean nothing.
Agreed. ARMS's logo and main menu are yellow.
Same with DK. Bananas and yellow are a common motif in the DK series.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Joker's color was Red = Red was the main color associated with Persona 5

The usage of yellow is referencing the heavy usage of Yellow in ARMS (logo, menus, general marketing images) and is hardly a hint.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Joker's color was Red = Red was the main color associated with Persona 5

The usage of yellow is referencing the heavy usage of Yellow in ARMS (logo, menus, general marketing images) and is hardly a hint.
Are you telling me that the next character might be from ARMS?!?

Holy crap! That is news!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The fact we're getting ARMS yellow for the character may also suggest that, whoever the character is, their identity as an ARMS character is getting played up first and foremost. This largely follows what little we already know, but the stretchy ARMS themselves are the core of the moveset. Don't expect the ARMS rep to focus too heavily on individual abilities and weapons.

Joker also had his game's colour for his background and his moveset also downplayed some of his individual character traits in favour of emphasizing the general themes and motifs of Persona 5.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Here's a new topic.

I had not seen the copyright data before.

Do you think it means anything?
I've said a lot on this already. The Bot is pure nothingness. It was removed 3 months after Byleth's reveal and the Ubisoft costumes, so most likely it was always meant to be taken down. The bot wasn't going to talk about Byleth forever. The trademark thing may just be coincidence. Before Ultimate's release, Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven both had their trademark updated when, when the Grinch Leak happened, was considered a point for why it's true. More likely than not, it means very little since trademarks get updated all the time and it could be for something else. Banjo also got a figure before his E3 announcement so it could have been for that.

Also, it should be noted theories should always been considered to be false as they are rarely accurate. It seems like the Rayman fans are just desperately looking for anything to suggest he's in for they are turning up a lot of things that don't have predictive validity.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
There's also Mechanica, doubtful its her though.

I think it means nothing really and its being really over think.
I still believe it is Mechanica as long as her Japanese voice actor is Ayumi Fujimura, the voice for Fi (Skyward Sword/Hyrule Warriors) and Zelda (A Link Between Worlds/Smash Ultimate). This way, Mechanica is borrowing the voice of a another protagonist to be the ARMS rep. In addition, I know that Fujimura have put her voice acting on indefinite hiatus, and her voice might have to be replaced/re-recorded or reuse from the ARMS game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
That's nice. If you really think Spring Man's chances are the same as, say, Misango's, then I have a bridge to sell you.
I think that people understand that it's realistically Spring Man, Min Min, or Multiple characters in one.
If I had to make a pie graph, I'd give Multiple characters in one 50%, Solo Spring Man 40%, and Solo Min Min 10%

Edit: For the record, I see no plausible scenario where we get multiple characters without Spring Man. So whenever I say that I think it's Spring Man, that also includes multiple characters with Spring Man as the default.

Last edited:

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
I mean, Nintendo basically straight up asked us to speculate on who the ARMS rep might be. They didn’t have to tell us the character was from arms. They could have given us nothing at all and just revealed the character in June.

I think it would be a little anticlimactic for it to just be Spring Man. While I don’t agree with the whole assist trophies being in the game already means they can’t be a character, (they can do whatever they want) I do think they would rather add brand new content to the game for DLC.

I’m excited regardless because I like ARMS, and I’m looking forward to seeing how they implement the mechanics. If it’s Spring Man I think that’d be a little lame. Why ask us to speculate if it’s the most obvious character to represent the series anyway? They knew exactly what they were doing - they knew we’d be wondering about his assist trophy and if that decinfirms him. If his assist trophy wasn’t in the game already everyone would feel that he was a shoe-in as the ARMS rep. To that end I don’t think they would have even pulled this “it’s a character from ARMS, have fun guessing!” schtick and would have just waited and revealed him.

tldr; I don’t think it’ll be Springman unless they pull a multi-skin hero character. (Even though I do still think he’s more likely than most of the ARMS cast)

I also think they want someone who represents the game well, so I don’t think it’ll be Twintelle or Mechanica since they don’t have arms in a traditional sense.

I personally think the most likely candidates are Minmin, Dr. Coyle, and Ribbon Girl.

Also, this is a tangent but kind of goes with my whole “they know exeactly what they’re doing” thing, but I personally think they may have leaked the SNK trademark on purpose so that people would research the characters in advance and get those unfamiliar with the series excited (which is exactly what happened to me.) I have no evidence to back this up at all but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s true. I think it sparked a similar conversation that they did with this ARMS character... Who could the SNK rep be?

Edit: fixed typos

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Also, this is a tangent but kind of goes with me while “they know exeactly what they’re doing” thing, but I personally think they may have leaked the SNK trademark on purpose so that people would research the characters in advance and get people unfamiliar with the series excited (which is exactly what happened to me.) I have no evidence to back this up at all but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s true. I think it sparked a similar conversation that they did with this ARMS character. Who could the SNK rep be?
And Terry was the "obvious" and "boring" pick.
Just like Mr. Spring-a-ling.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
People complaining about swords and cereal mascots is dumb as hell. There's dope **** and lame **** on either side.

Just give me the main man Hayabusa, I want an Izuna Drop.

Last edited:

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
And Terry was the "obvious" and "boring" pick.
Just like Mr. Spring-a-ling.
I thought someone might bring that up. “Boring” is subjective and debatable. I think the key difference is there was zero SNK representation in the game already. If there was zero ARMS content, Spring Man would undoubtably be the character.
If Terry was already in the game another way, I bet they would have picked a different SNK character to add instead.

So I think they‘ll do that here as well and go with someone less obvious. I really don’t think they would have laid the options out like this if it was simply spring man. I could be wrong, and I’ve certainly been wrong before, but that’s how I feel and what I’m betting on!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
People complaining about swords and cereal mascots is dumb as hell. There's dope **** and lame **** on either side.

Just give me the main man Hayabusa, I want an Izuna Drop.
My personal wishlist is at least 50% cereal box mascots.
I still support Frogger, Q*Bert, Earthworm Jim, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ristar, NiGHTS, etc.
But no Bubsy. He's always been trash.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I highly doubt the SNK situation was intentional. If it was it would have taken place from a source in Japan, not from someone else. Wasn't it from the UK?

Also, while I like to also think that the hint at all of Arms means Spring Man shouldn't be it (why tease all of them to just show Spring Man in the end?), it's very likely that the reason is not so much to get us speculating about all of them but simply to:
- Let people know ahead of time it was an Arms rep to minimize backlash when it is not a third party (which is a big reason Byleth was disliked)
- Capitalize on the Arms free trial and give people a reason to go into the game and learn about the other characters
- Stall for time due to an actual trailer not being ready and needing to keep the Smash hype going

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
why tease all of them to just show Spring Man in the end?
Spring Man is arguably the most hype, as he breaks all fan rules at once, even the dreaded Assist Trophy rule, though I guarantee that if they replace his AT with Springtron, detractors will be like, "Will they replace Waluigi's Assist Trophy with Waluigitron?"

Shroob

Sup?
I still think it'll be a main character and an Echo but what do I know.

Spring Man + Ribbon Girl(Echo) would be perfect. Boring sure, but it'd also be what I'd count on outside of the fan choice, Min Min, or something Sakurai-weird like Helix.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Spring Man + Ribbon Girl(Echo) would be perfect. Boring sure, but it'd also be what I'd count on outside of the fan choice, Min Min, or something Sakurai-weird like Helix.
I want this outcome only so I can have precedence for having Crash Bandicoot come with a Coco Echo.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I dunno, getting 2 characters in one pack would be pretty cool and not boring at all to me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I dunno, getting 2 characters in one pack would be pretty cool and not boring at all to me.
I'm still thinking costumes, but whatever the outcome I just want to see what the ARMS character will do. I'm hoping they'll be as cool as I think they are.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Spring Man is arguably the most hype, as he breaks all fan rules at once, even the dreaded Assist Trophy rule, though I guarantee that if they replace his AT with Springtron, detractors will be like, "Will they replace Waluigi's Assist Trophy with Waluigitron?"
You're arguing that the most hype thing about a character... is that they can be used as evidence for other characters...

As an ARMS fans, I got sick of this mindset the day an ARMS character was revealed.

Shroob

Sup?
I'd be hype, but you can't deny that they're the "Safe" choices among the roster.

And by that I mean

They're not weird or wacky in design. They're the Bran Flakes compared to the Fruit Loops. I think Spring Man is "fine", but I get why people think he's boring, if only because ARMs has a ton of weird characters and he's the most mundane of them all.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I mean, Nintendo basically straight up asked us to speculate on who the ARMS rep might be. They didn’t have to tell us the character was from arms. They could have given us nothing at all and just revealed the character in June.

I think it would be a little anticlimactic for it to just be Spring Man. While I don’t agree with the whole assist trophies being in the game already means they can’t be a character, (they can do whatever they want) I do think they would rather add brand new content to the game for DLC.

I’m excited regardless because I like ARMS, and I’m looking forward to seeing how they implement the mechanics. If it’s Spring Man I think that’d be a little lame. Why ask us to speculate if it’s the most obvious character to represent the series anyway? They knew exactly what they were doing - they knew we’d be wondering about his assist trophy and if that decinfirms him. If his assist trophy wasn’t in the game already everyone would feel that he was a shoe-in as the ARMS rep. To that end I don’t think they would have even pulled this “it’s a character from ARMS, have fun guessing!” schtick and would have just waited and revealed him.

tldr; I don’t think it’ll be Springman unless they pull a multi-skin hero character. (Even though I do still think he’s more likely than most of the ARMS cast)

I also think they want someone who represents the game well, so I don’t think it’ll be Twintelle or Mechanica since they don’t have arms in a traditional sense.

I personally think the most likely candidates are Minmin, Dr. Coyle, and Ribbon Girl.

Also, this is a tangent but kind of goes with my whole “they know exeactly what they’re doing” thing, but I personally think they may have leaked the SNK trademark on purpose so that people would research the characters in advance and get those unfamiliar with the series excited (which is exactly what happened to me.) I have no evidence to back this up at all but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s true. I think it sparked a similar conversation that they did with this ARMS character... Who could the SNK rep be?

Edit: fixed typos
Anticlimactic doesn't mean impossible. With Nintendo, it doesn't even mean improbable.

Also if a lot of people are wondering whether Spring Man could be the pick because he's an AT, then he's hardly a safe and predictable choice.

Shroob

Sup?
That is something to consider.

People think Spring Man is the 'safe' choice, but... he's really not. To us, the idiots that spend way too much time debating the probability of fictional characters being selected to be in our game for children, sure, he seems safe.

But to the average person?

No, the average person will react like:

"HUH?! BUT ISN'T HE AN ASSIST TROPHY?! HOW?! HOOOOW?! SAKURAI HOW?!"

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You're arguing that the most hype thing about a character... is that they can be used as evidence for other characters...

As an ARMS fans, I got sick of this mindset the day an ARMS character was revealed.
Same. I just like ARMS as it is. AT or not I'd be glad to see Spring Man in.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Realistically, any ARMS character they pick will play the same as any other, since the gimmick of long arms is universal.
I'm not saying that Spring Man's hype is restricted to the rules he breaks, but as an ARMS fan myself, 50% of the new character hype was the announcement of an ARMS character itself.
Spring Man just happens to bring over extra appeal to those not interested in him because he opens the door for other characters deemed "deconfirmed".

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I find that idea flawed in itself. If Spring Man gets in he doesn't instantly open the door to every assist trophy. It's not like Sakurai will go "welp, guess I need to consider Ashley, Isaac, Krystal and Waluigi now since I added Spring Man"

Likewise, I still find someone like Waluigi to be likely whether Spring Man "breaks the barrier" or not. Fan rules don't really mean that much in the end, anything can happen if the dev team feels like it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That is something to consider.

People think Spring Man is the 'safe' choice, but... he's really not. To us, the idiots that spend way too much time debating the probability of fictional characters being selected to be in our game for children, sure, he seems safe.

But to the average person?

No, the average person will react like:

"HUH?! BUT ISN'T HE AN ASSIST TROPHY?! HOW?! HOOOOW?! SAKURAI HOW?!"
This. Other day I was chatting about Smash with a pair of more casual friends, and they were completely adamant that it wasn't going to be Spring Man. Anecdotal, for sure, but I'd imagine that a lot of people are playing a guessing game in which Spring Man is the underdog, not the frontrunner.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Hearing the "Hero treatment" repeated so many times is getting extremely tiring. Characters like Byleth or Robin get away with different alts as the body types arent different enough visually to affect hitboxes. Not to mention they're the same character.

Spring Man's abilities as basic as they are, are different from Min Min or even Ribbon Girl. I would rather not have any of them appear if they are going to be downplayed for the sake of being different alts.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know who should've gotten the Hero treatment?

Link.

adult links photo.jpg

OoT Link appeals to the Melee fans.
TP Link appeals to the guys that started playing in Brawl
SS Link finally gets his shot to be in Smash beyond an alt color
BOTW LINK FINALLY GETS RID OF THAT HORRENDOUS LOOKING HERO OF THE WILD COSTUME.

And really, the only thing that'd be "weird" would be the bombs, but honestly if ZSS can have jet heels and plasma whips, BotW having some spare Sheikah slates isn't too out of the question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom