• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Solo Spring Man. I don't want them to sacrifice what makes each fighter unique for the sake of squeezing more characters in. It works in certain very specific circumstances but it doesn't here.

What if I was to asked the community if they hoped Terry have alts of the other Fatal Fury fighters? It sounds kind of crazy doesn't it?
i mean
characters in fatal fury are WAAAAAAAAAY more differentiated than characters in arms

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
To be perfectly honest I don't see the ARMS character being an algamation of multiple ARMS characters.

Like you don't see Terry being grouped with Andy and Joe or Ryu taking moves from other Hado users do you? Sakurai is a huge fighting game fan and always likes to stay true to the source material when developing characters from them. Because of that I just can't see him deviating out of nowhere for this one exception, which is why I'm expecting it just to be one ARMS character but one that's actually meaningful towards the game and isn't so much as a random addition.

That's my take on the whole matter but hey I could be wrong.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What are the original eight if not an anime swordsman, girl Master Chief, and six cereal mascots?

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I say what I'll always say, just shill the characters you actually like.
Honestly, Smashboards would be a much better place if people focus more energy trying to build up and gush about the things they take a legitimate liking to as opposed to tearing down the things they don't with baseless arguments. Speaking of which:

Have any of you heard the good word about our Lady and Savior, Lola Pop? Take time this Sunday to give thanks and offering to the patron saint of candy and fun, and get in contact with our clergy today for more information on how you can support the good clown high above. Just call 1-800-CANDYCLOWN today to see how you ca-

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
>That moment when you want to play ARMS again to refresh yourself for how a character could play but you don't have the game anymore after the trial ended :dizzy:

Welp hopefully only a couple more weeks I guess :skull:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If Ken, Akuma or Sakura can't be alts of Ryu....

I don't think the ARMS character should have alts of others...
To be fair, Sakura has a different body type. Sean would be a better example since despite being young he has the same build. Ryu didn't have a Ken or Akuma color in Smash 4, but he did have a Ken color in UMVC3, for what its worth.

Generally, while the ARMS cast has elements to distance themselves from each other, due to the game's simple(by fighting game) nature, There's less to separate them from Ryu and Ken's differences, who are some of the most complex characters in Smash. That isn't to say it can't be done however, but part of me really feels like the reason they are hyping up the "who could it be" angle is either.

1. Spring-Man/Whoever simply wasn't ready to be shown off.
2. They're pulling the costume gimmick, as the main gimmick of ARMS can be applied to multiple fighters.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I totally understand that this sounds like some weird 20/20 is hindsight stuff, in regards to Ryu and Ken. Who knows, maybe Spring Man will have an echo fighter who has about as much differences as Ken or Chrom, which would be extremely dope. Only time will tell.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
ah
i see it is character shilling o'clock
so basically
have y'all heard of this little game called power stone
because in this essay, i will-

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
A Ken color, but not Ken himself.

The most unique echo of the bunch.

Yes, but... that's not what you argued before.
The most unique Echo, sure, but like, he's still an Echo and he's specifically one of the most famous clone characters all of all time compared to... ARMS. And what do you mean, it's not what I argued before. I argued that ARMS doesn't have like some huge history that it needs to be beholden to uniquely beloved characters and its mechanics inherently make for an easier composite to be made since ARMS is extremely unified in how its played. I don't really think people would have been that offended if we'd seen the other Shotos included with Ryu to be honest since it would make them playable, and I've actually heard several non serious Smash players wish Sonic had like Tails, Shadow, and Knuckles playable within Sonic as alts too just to give a point of reference (Yes, that sounds crazy to some of us obviously, but I'm surprised how often I've heard that come up).

It's a way to get more characters into the game, and ARMS is one of the better examples I can honestly think of in that regard where, yes, technically the characters have some unique traits, but they would still work very well together as long as they were given some extra time with regards to little things like victory screens and taunts ala Byleth.

SKX31

Smash Master
What are the original eight if not an anime swordsman, girl Master Chief, and six cereal mascots?
The root of all evil in the Smash fanbase, according to a really extreme nihilist.

Also, in a complete and utter non sequiteur that probably doesn't mean much if anything (but is still neat IMHO and could be used in a crazy theory):

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have a question for the folks who are very opposed to seeing Spring Man have other characters as alts due to diluting their personality. No disrespect meant, I'm just genuinely curious where everyone's desires land on this issue.

Assume that someone leaked with undeniable proof that Spring Man was the ARMS character but was unsure about other characters as alternate costumes, would you hope for Solo Spring Man or would you hope for character alts? Any other ARMS character is off-the-table to get their own DLC slot, it's an alternate costume or nothing.
Easily character alts. I want as much as possible. The differences are only huge in some characters due to different bodyshapes, but most of the battles require different ARMS. It's not some massively deep game either, so it's very believable to me for it to happen. Though looking at it, I don't think Min Min really works as an alt due to the dragon arm being a lot more different than other stuff, so Spring Man/Ribbon Girl specifically seem a lot more likely as is.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I just don't see the appeal to Monokuma. Every time I see a picture of it, I'm just left [visibly confused.]
I can't really blame you cause it seems like everyone started turning on Danganronpa after it got popular recently lol.

It's like the new series people love to hate on and I'm legit afraid what would happen if it got into Smash, which considering Sakurai is a fan of the series and Nintendo and Spike Chunsoft have worked on things before... Isn't too farfetched... :c

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
You know, I never see people going "all cartoony characters are identical and my personal preferences should limit their amount in Smash to a minimum". It's almost always people who hate "anime human" characters who try to pass their likes as the objectively superior design philosophy that Smash should strive for.

Prefer any style you want but "cereal mascot" complaints aren't a simple "no u" rebuttal. It's fans reporting a group that ignores any nuance in character design for the sake of writing off a large group of fighters based on superficial similarities. I'll stop using "cereal mascot" sarcastically when people stop pretending they can't distinguish characters unless they are anthro bubbleheads.
But to use that term is just pouring fuel on the fire surely? Surely if you're sick of labeling and gatekeeping you wouldn't wanna perpetuate it in the other direction? Turn the other cheek and all that jazz. For every person throwing a tantrum for anime or cartoon characters, there's many other fans being roped into a conflict within the fandom. All it takes is a couple sour apples to spoil the cider I guess.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for the folks who are very opposed to seeing Spring Man have other characters as alts due to diluting their personality. No disrespect meant, I'm just genuinely curious where everyone's desires land on this issue.

Assume that someone leaked with undeniable proof that Spring Man was the ARMS character but was unsure about other characters as alternate costumes, would you hope for Solo Spring Man or would you hope for character alts? Any other ARMS character is off-the-table to get their own DLC slot, it's an alternate costume or nothing.
I would hope for a Solo Spring Man rather than a characters with other ARMS characters as alternate costumes. I envision a solo ARMS character who have all their gimmick along with technical stuffs that the ARMS video game provided.

For example, from ARMS 101 (1:40 - 3:16)

Each ARMS weapons have a weight factor and a different attributes. For a solo character like Spring Man, he could comes with his default three ARMS that he starts with which is the Toaster (Fire/Medium), Boomerang (Wind/Medium), and Tribolt (Stun/Light). Since Spring Man comes with Medium and Light ARMS, he is more likely to have trouble with heavy attack from the opponent because of the whole weight factor. Though this issue isn't a problem for Min Min who have the Megawatt (Electric/Heavy) ARMS. The problem with alternate costumes is will they share the same ARMS like Spring Man's or will all of the alternate costume their own unique ARMS? If so, then the next question is will their unique ARMS retain their own weight class and attributes or share the same properties as Spring Man? I know for the fact in the ARMS video game is that every characters can wield the other ARMS, so this isn't a issue, but for a solo route, the character should be using their own ARMS instead of the others.

Another unique thing about a solo character is the Rush ability which allows they to do a rushdown super move once the Rush meter is filled. Now what is interesting about the Rush ability is that it changed the weight factor of the ARMS that they are using. Light becomes Medium, and Medium becomes Heavy. The Heavy ARMS becomes an instant counter. Also, each ARMS weapon have their own unique Rush super move animation. Like the question above, is each alternate costumes going to have their own unique ARMS along with a unique Rush animation? Assuming this is Spring Man with three alternate characters that is 12 unique Rush super move animation. With Spring Man, there is only need to be 3 Rush super move animation compared to 12, assuming they aren't sharing the same ARMS weapons.

For Spring Man's moveset, he could be switching his three ARMS like Byleth or manually switching one ARMS at a time just like in the game. Spring Man should be using his own moves, but he could borrow some of the ARMS fighter's moves if it makes in context. The gimmick of Spring Man is that when his HP is low, he has a permanent Arsene mechanic throughout the match. His attack power is increased and his attack reaction is slightly shorted. This is different from Rage in Smash as that mechanic is all about knockback not damage output. With the Rush ability, two of Spring Man's ARMS become Heavy super move and the other becomes Medium super move. His other gimmick is the parry mechanic which allows him to easily counterattack by baiting and attacking.

Compared to a alternate costumes, will each one of them have their own unique gimmick or ARMS (including a different weight and attitude)? Would the Rush meter be there for the ARMS alternate character or not? Most discussion omitted the Rush meter and the super move, and instead placed the Rush super move as a Final Smash. For me, I believe their Final Smash should be something similar to Hero's where all ARMS fighters show up and all punches simultaneously at the opponent.

Other things to think about is the appearance of Kirby's coping abilities or their home stage. For Spring Man, it is Spring Stadium, but if it was Spring Man with alternate characters, what would that be? Each ARMS fighters have their own unique home stage, it would be strange if Ninjara is in Spring Stadium instead of Ninja College. The only stage hat they could shared is Sparring Ring since that was no one home stage until Springtron was introduced.

Anyway, I still like my own idea of an ARMS duo tethered together something akin to Team Fight in the ARMS game.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I can't wait for the ARMS character debate to end...
I'm under the impression that people managed to build unrealistic expectations even within the ARMS cast, and will likely be disappointed when the character won't be who they expected.

It's now pretty common to think that the newcomer is Spring Man, while... it's in fact incredibly unlikely! I'm not saying that's impossible, but there are many factors that go against him, a lot.
Also a fighter that includes several different characters as skin seems unlikely too.

I can't wait for the actual reveal because this is going in a direction I don't like.

By the way, DLCs are optional, there will be people who won't buy the DLC. Those people will still have Spring Man as assist trophy in their game. If you add Spring Man as a fighter and remove it from its assist trophy status, it would mean that those people who don't buy the DLC would see some content in their game disappear, and they would need to pay in order to have it back. This is not going to happen. Work arounds are possible but highly unlikely... IMO It's not going to be Spring Man... I may be wrong but this is my opinion.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Red Luigi, Discount Banjo, Green Marth, Girl Megaman, Green Ridley, Baby Meta Knight, Brown Sonic, and Pichu's older brother.
And the unlockables characters are Green Mario, Heroic Ganondorf, Hat Lucas, and Girl Kirby.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I’m bored. Who do you guys think are super likely for DLC until you’re inevitably proven wrong?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Which characters do you think are severely slept on in regard to their DLC potential?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
By the way, DLCs are optional, there will be people who won't buy the DLC. Those people will still have Spring Man as assist trophy in their game. If you add Spring Man as a fighter and remove it from its assist trophy status, it would mean that those people who don't buy the DLC would see some content in their game disappear, and they would need to pay in order to have it back. This is not going to happen. Work arounds are possible but highly unlikely... IMO It's not going to be Spring Man... I may be wrong but this is my opinion.
They might just do nothing to work around it and just leave the assist trophy in like they did with Robin's Final Smash. But really, just making it so that his trophy won't spawn when he's already in the battle wouldn't be that hard.

I doubt Nintendo is going to let one little trophy stop them. If its someone other then Springman, I think it'll be other reasons.

I'm not buying the Springtron theory though, that's unneccesary and over complicates things.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I’m bored. Who do you guys think are super likely for DLC until you’re inevitably proven wrong?
Characters currently being talked about in "leak" discussion (Max Brass, Crash, etc.), an ArcSys character (particularly either Ragna the Bloodedge or Sol Badguy), and Dante (who I think is getting Mii costume'd regardless whether or not he is playable).

Which characters do you think are severely slept on in regard to their DLC potential?
Maybe Arvis, but I know there's at least a small number of people who want and/or speculate him.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sakura Shinguji

Household gaming icon in Japan, very historically important gaming franchise that impacted several developers even outside of Japan and spawned a multimedia franchise with anime, live shows, a cafe, and more, a large amount of crossover appearances in various games, currently relevant with a new game release (And possibly more along the line) and being pushed by her own company who's VERY close with Nintendo and wants to continue pushing the series towards a new audience, has a history with Nintendo of her own being their first IP to come to their systems (And even had a GBC model themed after it), a moveset which could revolve around Battojutsu which is a sword technique we don't currently have in Smash yet, and even things like Lloyd's missing Mii Costume which could be released alongside her (Same character designer) and Senzigen already working on Byleth's trailer (Did the cutscenes for the latest game and are currently working on the animation) are all reasons I think she has a pretty good shot and is very overlooked as a whole.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
arvis is among the minuscule amount of fe characters i'd still be fine with
i'm burned out on fe myself but the dude is just that cool

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Speaking of, do you think that if we got Neku his final smash would be stylized the way Joker’s is?
if they really go full ham in making him a giant reference to his series like the characters we've been getting, then yeah, sure

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Toxtricity Lloyd and Yuri aren't talked about that much even though one of them is probably going to be in this time.
the situation with lloyd and yuri is weird
when pass 2 was first formally announced, they were relatively talked about
but for whatever reason they dropped off the face of the earth after arms

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Either Sora, Crash or Min-Min

Euden, Axel Stone and Captain Toad (the latter could be replaced by Alfonzo if you want).

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If Ken, Akuma or Sakura can't be alts of Ryu....

I don't think the ARMS character should have alts of others...
I've seen this comparison made before as well, and it's still not a great representation of the situation.

All that really differentiates the ARMS cast from each other (in gameplay) is a difference in their stats, size, and gimmick. Spring Man, for example, punches in the exact same manner as Ribbon Girl, who punches in the exact manner as Min Min, who punches in the exact same manner as Master Mummy, who punches in the exact same manner as Dr. Coyle. 90% of the moves an ARMS character can perform are shared with the rest of the roster.

Compare with the shotos, who share comparatively little of their kits amongst each other. Ryu punches and kicks in a way different from Akuma, who punches and kicks different from Sakura, who punches and kicks differently from Dan. Even then, the abilities that these characters do share are completely different in appearance and function between the shotos. Even though Ryu and Dan both hadokens, how they do so and the effect those hakodens have are night and day. If the shotos were like the ARMS cast, they'd all perfectly share Ryu's punches, kicks, and specials while having different stats and one unique special each.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My heart says Travis Touchdown. My soul says Scorpion.

My brain says I have no ****ing clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom