• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'd be down for a character that uses the runes and the champion abilities... but it'd be really disappointing it it was a character already on the roster. Old!Impa or one of the Champions seem like more interesting ways to go about it.
Or Young Impa if we get flashbacks of her or time travel. (The same way we got both in Skyward Sword).

There was a problem fetching the tweet

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Top 10 sentences that precede a NieR playthrough.
"Pft, as if a game about big butt robots could give me emotions"
40 hours later:
View attachment 266602

I'll be sure to remember your quotes whenever I finish this game to see if I suffer the same fate of heartbreak.
Shower thought: one character that's currently under discussed but may gain some traction in the future is BotW Zelda.

I know she was rejected by Sakurai for being more an adventurer than a fighter, but between her actively exploring with Link and her shorten haircut (a common trope in Japanese media to show an initially feminine character taking on a more masculine role), it seems that she'll be much more proactive in BotW 2. Perhaps we'll even see her as a playable character to address the cries for a gender option in the first game?

This could make her good as the pass' promotional character like Corrin or Byleth, representing a major new release that came out after Fighter's Pass 1? Building a moveset around the runes, Champion abilities, and miscellaneous weapons could easily distance her from the regular Zelda.
I'd be down for Zelda BOTW, as long as she has good speed and mobility gameplaywise.
However, I personally would rather have Tetra, Fi or Mipha as a new Zelda rep

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Depending on how BotW2 is handled, I could see BotW Zelda being used in the next Smash game.

It's probably never going to happen, but I think the best way to handle Zelda is to make several alts featuring her different incarnations. I doubt it'll happen though because each Zelda has a different dress, many of which would require different physics. Then there's BotW Zelda who more than likely wouldn't have a dress at all.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I was taking a curious peek into the Geno thread (what? I wanna know how they keep staying so active) and I saw the biggest reach to ever reach bigly. Basically, it was comparing FP1 to a deck of cards and the various player types, those being the Achievers (Diamonds, players who prefer to gain points, levels, and equipment in a game), Explorers (Spades, players who prefer discovering areas in the game world), Socializers (Hearts, players that gain the most enjoyment by interacting with other players, and/or computer-controlled characters with personality), and Killers (Clubs, players that thrive on competing with other players rather than computer-controlled opponents). There's also the Joker archetype, which in this context would be a game with multiple genres, and some kind of Star archetype... I don't know about that one (remember, I saw this on the Geno thread).

So that got me thinking of a new game for this thread! Namely, if you could design FP2 based on these archetypes (Achiever, Explorer, Socializer, Killer, Joker, and Star), what would it look like? My picks would be:

* Achiever = Monster Hunter (I've never played it, but I know it involves a LOT of equipment-using)
* Explorer = Rex (Xenoblade is an RPG with a heavy emphasis on exploration)
* Socializer = Monokuma (Danganronpa is a visual novel, so character interaction is a must)
* Killer = Master Chief (since we were talking about it, Halo does have a pretty big multiplayer scene)
* Joker = Kiryu (correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Yakuza have some sort of life-sim aspect? Or am I remembering that wrong?)
* Star = Elma (look, the post I got this from didn't even bother explaining what Star even was. I'm just gonna point out Elma's on a space adventure and call it a day)

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Question since I haven't been in here in a while. Did we ever find out what happened with the guy who asked about Shadows chances in Smash while hinting he was on the verge of suicide? I reported the post so hopefully the mods took care of it but it still really bothers me to see something like that and I hope the guy is doing better.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So I was taking a curious peek into the Geno thread (what? I wanna know how they keep staying so active) and I saw the biggest reach to ever reach bigly. Basically, it was comparing FP1 to a deck of cards and the various player types, those being the Achievers (Diamonds, players who prefer to gain points, levels, and equipment in a game), Explorers (Spades, players who prefer discovering areas in the game world), Socializers (Hearts, players that gain the most enjoyment by interacting with other players, and/or computer-controlled characters with personality), and Killers (Clubs, players that thrive on competing with other players rather than computer-controlled opponents). There's also the Joker archetype, which in this context would be a game with multiple genres, and some kind of Star archetype... I don't know about that one (remember, I saw this on the Geno thread).

So that got me thinking of a new game for this thread! Namely, if you could design FP2 based on these archetypes (Achiever, Explorer, Socializer, Killer, Joker, and Star), what would it look like? My picks would be:

* Achiever = Monster Hunter (I've never played it, but I know it involves a LOT of equipment-using)
* Socializer = Monokuma (Danganronpa is a visual novel, so character interaction is a must)
* Killer = Master Chief (since we were talking about it, Halo does have a pretty big multiplayer scene)
* Joker = Kiryu (correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Yakuza have some sort of life-sim aspect? Or am I remembering that wrong?)
* Star = Elma (look, the post I got this from didn't even bother explaining what Star even was. I'm just gonna point out Elma's on a space adventure and call it a day)
Achiver - Megaman X. In each and every game of his, you upgrade everything: His powers, his armor, his skills.
Explorers - Grovyle. In Mystery Dungeon, you explore random dungeons for treasure and apples. Also his game is Explorers of Sky.
Socializer - Frisk. I had them down as an explorer, but they fit this way more. Character interaction is the name of their game.
Killers - Waluigi. Mario Party is the infamous friend killer due to all the chaos you can throw on your opponents.
Joker - Sora. Kingdom Hearts is a fusion of Final Fantasy, Disney, and some original content. It's not quite how you describes it, but it's the best I got.
Star - Marx. He caused the sun and moon to fight, and the sun is a star.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Achiever = Octoling (Splatoon has a variety of equipment to collect)
Explorer = Elma (Because Xenoblade and exploration)
Socializer = Neku (the story of TWEWY involves forming bonds with others)
Killer = Black Shadow (F-Zero is a competitive futuristic racing series where lives are put on the line I guess?)
Joker = Monokuma (DR is part visual novel, part horror, part rhythm game (certain parts) and part shooting... sort of)
Star = hecc it, Arle Nadja

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm sorry I think as a game it's cool and everything but I gotta say it. That's the dumbest ****ing theory I've ever read in my life and the more I think about it the more astonishing it is.

Sorry, had to vent that, please carry on.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm sorry I think as a game it's cool and everything but I gotta say it. That's the dumbest ****ing theory I've ever read in my life and the more I think about it the more astonishing it is.

Sorry, had to vent that, please carry on.
Eh, people get desperate when they REALLY want a character in Smash. Then again, Sakurai slipped in a hint in binary on the teaser for Byleth's presentation, so who knows?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Eh, people get desperate when they REALLY want a character in Smash. Then again, Sakurai slipped in a hint in binary on the teaser for Byleth's presentation, so who knows?
Wait what

what did this binary translate to?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wait what

He was holding up three fingers for Three Houses. But not because it's three for three, but those specific three fingers made the binary counting number for 17, and FETH is the 17th installment of FE.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wait what

Remember the part of the presentation where Sakurai counted the FE games in binary? The gesture he used when he got to 17 (Three Houses if you count the remakes and Heroes) was used on the promo image announcing the presentation.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
New Sakurai pic
... what the fresh heck is this
A. A Hint for the new Star Wars DLC.

B. An existential metaphor for the infinite nature of the space time continuum, and how we are all just insignificant specks of dust on a rock that goes through a never ending loop of pure darkness and antimatter.

C. Krystal confirmed as the first AT promotion.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A. A Hint for the new Star Wars DLC.

B. An existential metaphor for the infinite nature of the space time continuum, and how we are all just insignificant specks of dust on a rock that goes through a never ending loop of pure darkness and antimatter.

C. Krystal confirmed as the first AT promotion.
I’ll take B for $500, Alex

... wait wrong game show format. ****

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If this drought keeps up, I may have to replace Smash Ultimate speculation with Smash Remix speculation.
Don't nobody care about that! This is Super Smash Flash 2 country!

Wouldn't an BotW2 character important to the story make more sense?
Everyone important to BotW2's story is probably already in Smash.

Man, that comment from Sakurai make zero sense when characters like Isabelle is playable and they used AltP Zelda who spent most of the game kidnapped and not really doing much. Sakurai acts extremely weird when it comes to the Zelda series.
It's ALBW Zelda.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really can't see Breath of the Wild Zelda being added when that design was passed over in the first place.

I frankly don't have good vibes with BOTW2 in terms of getting a playable character, especially when we don't know anything about the cast of characters. It's Link and Zelda again, with presumably some form of Ganondorf. The Champions are gone still considering it's a sequel... Aside from that, there's nothing to speculate on in terms to Smash because we simply don't know.

Hopefully a Direct will soon tell us more.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Remember the part of the presentation where Sakurai counted the FE games in binary? The gesture he used when he got to 17 (Three Houses if you count the remakes and Heroes) was used on the promo image announcing the presentation.
Sakurai is a complete madman sometimes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's probably never going to happen, but I think the best way to handle Zelda is to make several alts featuring her different incarnations. I doubt it'll happen though because each Zelda has a different dress, many of which would require different physics. Then there's BotW Zelda who more than likely wouldn't have a dress at all.
The current Zelda is shorter than the more famous incarnations I think. Also, I think most of them have the same color scheme. :/

I really can't see Breath of the Wild Zelda being added when that design was passed over in the first place.
It could happen if she gets a more active role in the next game. If that doesn't happen then she likely won't even be considered.

I think that once BotW2 gets a release date, it'll be easier to speculate on the possibility of a rep. but for now we got pretty much no info to work with.

In the event that the timing is right and the game releases before Smash DLC ends, i'm guessing that Nintendo would likely want to push for a BotW2 character (if there's any interesting characters to pick from in the game itself) or at least they'd consider it i think.

So far, there's a few things we do know that could increase (a tiny bit) the chances of getting a BotW2 character down the line:
- The DLC fighters are not all 3rd party characters since Byleth.
- Sakurai can have early access to games to work on a future character.
- We'll get new DLC fighters until at least December 2021 (iirc...).

So yeah, not enough evidence to say it's likely or not imo but it's certainly not impossible at this point.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To sum it up nice and sweet, a BotW2 rep is possible, but not guaranteed. Don't overestimate it because there's likely other games that haven't been revealed yet, but don't be so hasty and dismissive to the point where you already consider its chances dead.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sakurai's decisions only make sense in the context they're made in (ie making Brawl vs making Smash 4 vs last second filler content vs making DLC ). They're all treated as their own separate things. But since they're all present in the same game it comes off as very baffling to anyone who doesn't know what exactly all the different criteria are.

The way Sakurai works is great for all-you-can-eat buffets but awful for a well-presented meal.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Since there's little to no information on BotW2, we can't really make guesses about a potential rep. That being said, if they're willing to use Byleth as a promo pick to Fire Emblem, it'd be weird for them not to at least consider an even bigger franchise like Legend of Zelda for a pick. If we see that Zelda is relevant and different in BotW2, with actual moves/spells, then I could see her being one of the later picks of the pass. Don't forget that Fighter Pass 2 goes until the end of 2021, which gives a lot of time for stuff to be revealed.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
That's on the off chance that they're even looking for another promo pick
Byleth was partially chosen because Three Houses would still be a newly released game by the time of his announcement
but that's just the one character in a 5-character pass

plus on top of that part of the reason he was chosen as the promo pick is that Treehouses was the only game that would perfectly match up with their schedule
we don't really know ANYTHING about Nintendo's upcoming games post-Animal Crossing except for BOTW2, Xenoblade, and DLC to games already out

I imagine the pass being expected to run through the end of next year gives them plenty of time to prepare for a new character chosen for being a literally new character, but we'd have to know what games are coming and when, but even then there's no guarantee they'd want a repeat

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Achiever - Shantae: Your always trying to level up your magic, armor, and health.
Explorer - Amaterasu: Your constantly roaming around Nippon in order to slay demons and, purify the land.
Socializer - Sora: With the amount of bonds he's made in Kingdom Hearts it made sense to place him here (although explorer is acceptable)
Killer - Narmaya: Since Granblue Fantasy has its own fighting game, she technically qualifies. Plus she strives to face the strongest fighters too.
Joker - Sakura: Role-playing, Dating Sim, Visual Novel
Star - Kat: Cause why not?

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

Okay, here's my ideas, being the picks I'd love to see.
Achiever - Sophia, from Blaster Master. The whole game is about building up your tank with different abilities and stuff.
Explorers - Beat, from JSRF. His game is kinda based on the idea of exploring the world of Tokyo-To, and leaving your mark on it.
Socialisers - Phoenix Wright. After all, his entire series involves him in court cases.
Killers - Sephiroth. Seems as his most memorable scene was *REDACTED* then surely this makes sense.
Joker - Maxwell. It's weird, because what exactly is Scribblenauts? Platformer? Sandbox? Puzzle?
Star - (I'm working on the principle that Star is basically a ridiculously hype pick) Skull Kid. Big request, possibly cool moveset, and more Zelda music and a Clock Town stage (perhaps like Isle Delfino) would be epic.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
That's on the off chance that they're even looking for another promo pick
Byleth was partially chosen because Three Houses would still be a newly released game by the time of his announcement
but that's just the one character in a 5-character pass

plus on top of that part of the reason he was chosen as the promo pick is that Treehouses was the only game that would perfectly match up with their schedule
we don't really know ANYTHING about Nintendo's upcoming games post-Animal Crossing except for BOTW2, Xenoblade, and DLC to games already out
There's also Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes, getting a 4th installment in his franchise (3rd in the main line), and we know it's a 2020 release. But you're right, we don't have a lot of details yet. If there really is a Direct planned this week, we'll have more ideas on how the year will span out. That plus any E3 content they could have been preparing.

Out of the 6 characters of FP2, I wouldn't be surprised if about 2 of them are promo picks. Could be a Pokemon (with Sword and Shield's DLC coming out soon), Zelda is very much in the running (or any character from BotW2 if that releases before the end of 2021), Travis has half decent chances (although he's not as mainstream), and maybe even Tom Nook, with how popular Animal Crossing New Horizons has been over the last few days already (sold out almost everywhere in my region). And we'll see what else gets released within the next year.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Since there's little to no information on BotW2, we can't really make guesses about a potential rep. That being said, if they're willing to use Byleth as a promo pick to Fire Emblem, it'd be weird for them not to at least consider an even bigger franchise like Legend of Zelda for a pick. If we see that Zelda is relevant and different in BotW2, with actual moves/spells, then I could see her being one of the later picks of the pass. Don't forget that Fighter Pass 2 goes until the end of 2021, which gives a lot of time for stuff to be revealed.
It's not that weird when you consider Nintendo has been trying to push Fire Emblem into the next upper tier of popularity for quite a while now, they don't need to do that for a series which had its most recent title sell almost 20 million.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'll be sure to remember your quotes whenever I finish this game to see if I suffer the same fate of heartbreak.

I'd be down for Zelda BOTW, as long as she has good speed and mobility gameplaywise.
However, I personally would rather have Tetra, Fi or Mipha as a new Zelda rep
BoTW Zelda would be a revamped Zelda, not "new" Zelda rep.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To sum it up nice and sweet, a BotW2 rep is possible, but not guaranteed. Don't overestimate it because there's likely other games that haven't been revealed yet, but don't be so hasty and dismissive to the point where you already consider its chances dead.
All we know about BotW2 is Link, who's already got his BotW incarnation in Smash, Ganondorf, who's already playable in Smash and Zelda, who's not only already in Smash but had her BotW incarnation specifically get shot down. How is hasty to not give BotW2 a 'fair chance' if everything we know about it is already in the game? Are we supposed to think of stuff BotW2 might have and speculate whether our own ideas get in Smash?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People really want to "diversify" Zelda's roster with just more variations of the same characters we've had in the roster for 20 years?

:sadsheep:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Variations of the main three characters are pretty much all you're gonna get for Zelda at this point.

Sakurai ain't adding any one-off characters that aren't the main protagonist. Sheik is the only example of that kind of character playable in Smash...and she's just an alternate form of Zelda.

The only characters you're left besides those are Tingle (who barely even exists anymore) and Impa, who I guess could work as a Sheik echo...but that's not going to appease anyone that wants a non-clone Zelda character for the first time since 2001.

D

Deleted member

Unless BOTW 2 gets a big new character that steals the show from Ganon, I'm not seeing BOTW 2 as likely unless they make Zelda or Ganon super-badasses

It's a mod for Smash 64 that adds new characters and stages. Previously, they've only had success creating clone characters like Ganondorf and Dr. Mario, but they've recently created a character that's 90% unique in the form of Wario.
Ah yes, Smash 64's finally getting the mods it deserves.

I know this probably isn't the direction the mod is going, but I always thought it'd be neat if the team tried to mod in all the characters that Sakurai said he wanted to include in Smash 64 that didn't make it (:ultbowser:,:ultkingdedede:,:ultmarth: and :ultmewtwo:). It'd be so cool, and heartwarming to see the very first game with all the playables Sakurai wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom