• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
A. A Hint for the new Star Wars DLC.

B. An existential metaphor for the infinite nature of the space time continuum, and how we are all just insignificant specks of dust on a rock that goes through a never ending loop of pure darkness and antimatter.

C. Krystal confirmed as the first AT promotion.
C please, it's time for the Star Fox team to be close to completion.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
New Sakurai pic
... what the fresh heck is this
Star Wars confirmed for Smash!

But seriously. Big brain time. What if this is actually a hint towards Sakurai working with Disney to add Sora? Some people are also pointing out Krystal but unless if there is new Star Fox game being made, I don't see Krystal being one of the few assist trophies upgraded.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man you know what sucks?

Getting hyped at the thought of Doom Slayer in Smash after previously being apathetic at best...after Doom is pretty much entirely disconfirmed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man you know what sucks?

Getting hyped at the thought of Doom Slayer in Smash after previously being apathetic at best...after Doom is pretty much entirely disconfirmed.
This is where id reveals that their statement was all a ruse after the next direct confirms the frontrunner for V2. I'd post an appropriate image but it seems the server's ****ed again

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Is Japanese market factor really hurting western chance? If Bandai Namco can get western characters into their games (Soul Caliber and Tekken), I don't see too much issue with Smash team. Well, Smash has western characters content in Smash, but not as playable until Banjo. Ultimate sold 3.7 million iirc. That's way less than rest of regions. So, I don't see "hur not so popular in Japan, so out!" is really valid.

osby

Smash Obsessed

But seriously. Big brain time. What if this is actually a hint towards Sakurai working with Disney to add Sora? Some people are also pointing out Krystal but unless if there is new Star Fox game being made, I don't see Krystal being one of the few assist trophies upgraded.
Dude, Sakurai posts a different picture every day. They are not hints for newcomers.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

You’d think they’d use imagery more closely related to Sora and KH itself like hearts, light and darkness though

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
If Sakurai actually wanted to hint at Sora by referencing a Disney property he'd probably reference a franchise Sora actually interacted with.
But that'd mean Sakurai would actually be hinting at anything.

They're just fun screenshots he took during development that he wants to share.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
It won't truly be complete until Peppy becomes playable and yells out "BARREL ROLL!" every time he does a dodge roll. (oh, and Slippy would have to be playable too)
Slippy would have to be either the worst spacey by far or the best spacey by far, there is no middle ground.

I am also dealing with the psychological torment of getting really hype for Doomguy again, this time after the interview pretty much damned his chances.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ok I admit my theory is a bit dumb.

Man you know what sucks?

Same here. Except for the apathetic part. I used to didn't think much of Doom Slayer but after thinking about it I thought he would be cool and he turned into one of my most wanted characters.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
the last time we took one of Sakurai's screenshots as a legitimate tease, we ended up with a whole lotta disappointed Issac fans

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

What if they reveal a new Star Fox game for the next direct? Even if it's just a trailer like Prime 4. After all we haven't had a new Star Fox game since Zero, and I'm so thirsty from this Star Fox drought.

Starlink: *hands me water* Hello, we couldn't help but notice you're a bit misinfor-

Like I said, so thirsty.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
This is why I never trust Sakurai's many screenshots which causes too many hints at *insert new character in Smash*.
Yeah I wouldn't look too much into the screenshots from Sakurai and the Japanese Smash Bros. twitter account. I remember when some thought a few pictures from Sakurai that referenced Puyo Puyo were hints that Arle would be FP5. Anyone else remember "Daisy theory" because of the picture of Daisy posed next to Mario, Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah I wouldn't look too much into the screenshots from Sakurai and the Japanese Smash Bros. twitter account. I remember when some thought a few pictures from Sakurai that referenced Puyo Puyo were hints that Arle would be FP5. Anyone else remember "Daisy theory" because of the picture of Daisy posed next to Mario, Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry?
As someone who supported (and still supports) KOS-MOS that theory hurt my soul

still hate the bad rap KOS-MOS supporters got after the TGA 2019 rumor swarm

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Is Japanese market factor really hurting western chance? If Bandai Namco can get western characters into their games (Soul Caliber and Tekken), I don't see too much issue with Smash team. Well, Smash has western characters content in Smash, but not as playable until Banjo. Ultimate sold 3.7 million iirc. That's way less than rest of regions. So, I don't see "hur not so popular in Japan, so out!" is really valid.
Being Western isn't the problem. Being unpopular in Japan is the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if we got another Western fighter. But it's probably not going to be someone from a game that barely sells in Japan.

I think Crash and Steve are good candidates for the next potential west fighter. Or maybe we won't get one at all. Or maybe we will and it will be someone like Doom Slayer. Who can say? I certainly didn't think they were going to put yet another FE character as DLC. But here we are.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
and I'm so thirsty from this Star Fox drought.

Starlink: *hands me water* Hello, we couldn't help but notice you're a bit misinfor-
Have you played it though? Having skipped the WiiU, it was a real breath of fresh air to play as Star Fox in that game, and the controls felt fantastic (especially the interplanetary flying). But yeah, I wish they'd do something more with them, I still miss the old days of StarFox 64.

D

Deleted member

It's like how Metroid fans wanted to diversify their part of the roster with Dark Samus because no one care about Sylux and Ridley seemed to be a pipe dream.
Hey, I still feel Rundas would be an awesome character due to his ice moveset.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
From a ****ing picture angle in Lylat? :4pacman: Are you guys on drugs?
If that image doesn't instantly evoke memories of Sora to you, I don't know what the issue is. The second I layed my eyes upon it, memories of Kingdom Hearts flooded my mind. I haven't even played Kingdom Hearts, that's how integral to the series it is. To imply that it might serve any purpose than to hint at Sora is blasphemy. On a related note, Skull Kid and Arle are locks for similar reasons.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If that image doesn't instantly evoke memories of Sora to you, I don't know what the issue is. The second I layed my eyes upon it, memories of Kingdom Hearts flooded my mind. I haven't even played Kingdom Hearts, that's how integral to the series it is. To imply that it might serve any purpose than to hint at Sora is blasphemy. On a related note, Skull Kid and Arle are locks for similar reasons.
...you had me in the first half, not gonna lie

:secretkpop:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's like how Metroid fans wanted to diversify their part of the roster with Dark Samus because no one cared about Sylux and Ridley seemed to be a pipe dream.
At least Dark Samus is a different character altogether. Another Link or Zelda is literally the same character, though I can guarantee you that the people who wanted Dark Samus would be happier if she had her weird Phazon attacks

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know what, those are sparking words that convince me.

Let's bring this to every Smash conspiracy theorist youtuber and see what we can make of this.

txhy8

Smash Cadet
I know he would be in a lot of peoples eyes a Byleth clone but how about Monster Hunter?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know he would be in a lot of peoples eyes a Byleth clone but how about Monster Hunter?
Why would he a Byleth clone? Byleth had his moveset mainly to people shut up about "anime swordfighter" meme, not to be Monster Hunter.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All we know about BotW2 is Link, who's already got his BotW incarnation in Smash, Ganondorf, who's already playable in Smash and Zelda, who's not only already in Smash but had her BotW incarnation specifically get shot down. How is hasty to not give BotW2 a 'fair chance' if everything we know about it is already in the game? Are we supposed to think of stuff BotW2 might have and speculate whether our own ideas get in Smash?
We got one extremely ambiguous trailer that barely lasted more than a minute.

How is it not hasty to write off BotW2's chances of getting a new character just by assessing that one trailer? At least wait until we get more info before deciding, "Nah, the only characters in the game are already in Smash. BotW2 deconfirmed."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Why would he a Byleth clone? Byleth had his moveset mainly to people shut up about "anime swordfighter" meme, not to be Monster Hunter.
There's a conspiracy theory that Byleth's moveset was meant for a Monster Hunter because Monster Hunter has a ****ton of potential weapons and people needed an excuse for their anger at Byleth to feel justified. Not the worst conspiracy theory involving Byleth mind you, that belongs to "Byleth was planned to be in the base game" from a certain MGS2 boss, but people will believe anything despite MonHun's lances apparantly working completely differently than what Byleth does with Arendbar

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Anyone saying Hunter would be a Byleth clone doesn't know a thing about Monster Hunter. They not only have a different primary weapon that would require most of their moveset to be different, but they use their shared weaponry mostly differently and the Hunter has multiple other weapons like the Dual Blades that can be used instead of anything Byleth has. There is no good reason to assume that the Hunter would be a clone.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
We got one extremely ambiguous trailer that barely lasted more than a minute.

How is it not hasty to write off BotW2's chances of getting a new character just by assessing that one trailer? At least wait until we get more info before deciding, "Nah, the only characters in the game are already in Smash. BotW2 deconfirmed."
It's not hasty because we literally have nothing else to speculate off of from BotW2. We know NOTHING about it beyond that the Triforce Trio are there, it's not hasty to not speculate on Metroid Prime 4 content, or Bayonetta 3 content or anything, because we do not know anything about those games and therefore we cannot speculate on potential Smash characters. Even ignoring how Zelda's only ever gotten the Triforce Trio, you're just acting like the people who jumped on the 'Edelgard for Smash' train when all we knew was her name and what she looked like or the 'Gen 8 Pokemon for Smash' train before we even knew anything about Gen 8 beyond it being a Pokemon game on the Switch. You don't want a Zelda character, you just want to go "Haha you guys look at meeee I'm so smart because I knew exactly what would happen despite not knowing anything about it by the time I was claiming we'd get a BotW2 character!"

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Remember when people were on the Kass for Smash train and then he wound up just being a random bard you'd sometimes encounter and only got somewhat expanded upon in DLC.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's like how Metroid fans wanted to diversify their part of the roster with Dark Samus because no one cared about Sylux and Ridley seemed to be a pipe dream.
At least in Metroid's case there's never been that many options, the most discussed character beyond the ones you already mentioned was probably Rundas, and adding him would be the equivalent of adding someone like Sidon, a fan favorite for sure, but still just a side character for no more than a portion of a single game, so with Ridley seemingly being off the table Dark Samus was easily the most logical request. Even now Zelda has a much bigger variety of potential characters than Metroid ever had, but people just get too hung up on "no one-offs" and "only Triforce wielders".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom