• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So there are six slots left, and they have to be at least partially based on a character on the Smash 64 roster. If I had to guess...
Exactly what year is this based around? Do you mean specifically more Smash 64 characters? Just to clarify here, since timing matters for choices.

UserKev

Smash Champion
It's a mod for Smash 64 that adds new characters and stages. Previously, they've only had success creating clone characters like Ganondorf and Dr. Mario, but they've recently created a character that's 90% unique in the form of Wario.
Just now seeing it, definitely an interesting mod.
You see Project+? It's a build based off of unfinished Project M stuff, rebalanced, and has a TON of stuff added from Legacy TE.

The game just jaw dropping.

Project + has amazing stage selection for starter.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Exactly what year is this based around? Do you mean specifically more Smash 64 characters? Just to clarify here, since timing matters for choices.
The mod in question is a mod of Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64. The characters and stages that are being added are pretty much just whatever the modder feels like. I'd say the character choices aren't restricted in any more than they are for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The mod in question is a mod of Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64. The characters and stages that are being added are pretty much just whatever the modder feels like. I'd say the character choices aren't restricted in any more than they are for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
I mean in context of the particular question.

I get what the mod is, but I want to make sure I understand the question correctly. Limiting myself to certain eras makes it more interesting as you can't just go all out with whoever floats your boat, but take a look at the particular situation. Pichu existed at least in the 64 era, as did everyone else. So I wasn't sure on the rules. :)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I imagine if they want to use them, they'll find some unique way. I like some of the ideas noted. Maybe if the opponent hits at least 100% you could do so, but they're not like normal Final Smashes. Otherwise, having two FS' like Ryu does could work too. I'd still stick with the 100% to indicate that they're "ready to be finished off".

My thought is if you input the command, you get the "Finish him!"(or "Finish her!". Not sure what they'd do for those without clarified Genders, though, when the target is made clear. "Finish 'em!" maybe?).
Yeah, that's why I used Bayo as an example - maybe Scorpion's FS is just one of his regular supers, but if certain conditions are met (like being over 100%), it transitions into the Fatality screen. Kinda like how MK11 is doing their trailers right now - with one after the other.

Were you expecting a cold reception? :troll:
Nah, I'm cool with that. Guess I should have been ready for the avalanche of puns.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I mean in context of the particular question.

I get what the mod is, but I want to make sure I understand the question correctly. Limiting myself to certain eras makes it more interesting as you can't just go all out with whoever floats your boat, but take a look at the particular situation. Pichu existed at least in the 64 era, as did everyone else. So I wasn't sure on the rules. :)
Well it does have the Mementos stage so limited eras isn't really an issue.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
well part of the point of Smash Remix is that the characters being added are either semiclones of, or at least partially based on the actual Smash 64 roster, so that informs the kind of characters we would expect to see

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Just two more days until the next biweekly announcement possibly deconfirms another character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dark Samus is there and she didn't exist until after the Gamecube, so I didn't make that a rule.
Ah, gotcha. So whatever goes. Thanks for clearing it up.

(To clarify, I get how the Mod works, but I wanted to make sure I understood what PeridotGX's rules were instead. Not simply the mod itself).

--------------------------

Anyway, onto it;

:mario64: Dr. Mario. While I do like Wario, I feel using him as a different kind of clone is neat. One that could be a heavier Mario. Luigi is more like the lighter one. It could be seen somewhat as a Mario Kart-like dynamic.
:ness64: Brian. I mean, obviously you know I want him in, but I've noticed he makes for a great body shape too, and a lot of similar potential abilities to remake him. Of course, you'd need to do some very unique changes. Like, Brian can't do PK Fire very well, but you could do a similar mechanic but using Charizard's Flamethrower somewhat(the pokeball) to capture it. PK Thunder is actually pretty similar in essence to Homing Arrow too. And PSI Shield actually has similarities to Confusion as is(which is absorbing damage into MP. But just having it work like PSI Shield is fine too, as it'd combine Confusion and Healing).
:fox64: Wolf. I like antagonists, and I feel he could make for an interesting change. Being more heavy-based as is.
:link64: Dark Link, somewhat akin to how Ganondorf is done, based around darkness. They could also focus on more Zelda II abilities instead, not just the Up and Downthrusts. For instance, his Final Smash could be Thunder, weakening everyone's defenses and doing a good amount of damage.
:pikachu64: Like others, I think Pichu is a great fit! I feel like Ultimate made him a bit OP, missing the point of its Joke Character status.
:yoshi64: Boshi. Now, obviously this is kind of silly if Geno isn't in, but Geno really has no one to go off of until 4 with MegaMan getting close(same with Mii Gunner). Samus has the gun part, but a completely off build. Admittedly you could use Ness too? Anyway, Boshi already had potential similar skills to Yoshi, but stuff like Cookies being used along with SMRPG items could be taken into account. In addition to that, you have various moves from enemies like Croco, so having a Bomb Egg for an Up B would change it up but still capture the nastiness that Boshi is.

Some other thoughts are Ganondorf, Dark Samus, Black Shadow, Wario, and Funky Kong. Wario is one I feel can't be captured too well as being a clone anyway. It doesn't do him justice. Smash doesn't focus on my favorite style of Wario, but it still captures how he's vastly different from Mario while keeping with his actual games regardless. I mean, giving the option, I'd gladly remove the Wario Waft for his Ground Pound or another Land move where possible otherwise, but I do like him a lot more than I used to.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Doc and Wario are both in Smash Remix already
unless you're simply commenting on how they work within the game, which i apologize in advance if that's the case

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Doc and Wario are both in Smash Remix already
unless you're simply commenting on how they work within the game, which i apologize in advance if that's the case
Oh, I wasn't basing it upon Smash Remix's roster whatsoever. My goal was "look at characters who could work in Smash 64's setting as if it only had those 12 playable characters". ...I don't even know anything other than Ganondorf being in Remix, honestly.

I guess I misunderstood the question. My bad.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
You see Project+? It's a build based off of unfinished Project M stuff, rebalanced, and has a TON of stuff added from Legacy TE.

The game just jaw dropping.

This looks really good. Hopefully this doesn't get taken down like Legacy XP and Legacy TE. I know when Legacy XP got taken down it spawned theories that the game had characters who might be potential DLC characters in Ultimate, though there's a good chance it got taken down simply because it's a fan game.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
well part of the point of Smash Remix is that the characters being added are either semiclones of, or at least partially based on the actual Smash 64 roster, so that informs the kind of characters we would expect to see
they have a mostly unique Wario, I doubt that's a restriction. General N64 weakness is more of an issue, i can't imagine Shulk or Hero working very well in 64.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
With all this Smash Remix talk, I wonder if it'll get popular enough to warrant a place in the character mains section of people's bios and emotes like Project M.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That stage fits in Smash 64 so well for some reason.
Smash 64, the only game where every stage has some kind of actual hazard. Congo Jungle barely subverts this via the barrels being less of a hazard, but absolutely none of them are simple. And it's why I love 'em all.

--------------

Speaking of Smash Remix, is this a mod only, or are they going to put it on a cartridge too? I know Tournament Edition is a thing. In addition to that, did they make all the normal non-playable stages work(Metal Cavern, Polygon Cave, Final Stage)?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Smash 64, the only game where every stage has some kind of actual hazard. Congo Jungle barely subverts this via the barrels being less of a hazard, but absolutely none of them are simple. And it's why I love 'em all.
Eh, technically Metal Cavern is hazardless. AND THEY STILL WON'T MAKE IT PLAYABLE IN ULTIMATE

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I only saw it for a second, but I think they even have some of the unused test stages playable.
Ah, nice.

Eh, technically Metal Cavern is hazardless. AND THEY STILL WON'T MAKE IT PLAYABLE IN ULTIMATE
I meant playable stages. Should've said that better. Funny thing is the non-playable ones have no hazards at all. Or ones technically can be counted as them.

D

Deleted member

I'm waking up today expecting a Direct announcement right around...midnight in my place

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wonder how you'd incorporate Fatalities into Super Smash Bros. I don't mean the toning down part, but the general mechanic. In Mortal Kombat, Fatalities are only available to you after you win right? But in Super Smash Bros., the game immediately cuts to the win screen. I see three main ways of rectifying this:
  1. Fatalities are the win screen.
  2. If you place the opponent in a stun state (like after a shield break), you can perform a Fatality using a traditional input. Landing a Fatality is an instant kill.
  3. If the opponent has high damage, the player will be prompted to "FINISH THEM!", signifying that the player can now input a Fatality. Landing a Fatality is an instant kill.
Come to think of it, Killer Instinct has something like this as well by encouraging you to combo the opponent to style on them even though they're already dead. I wonder how you'd implement that...
Scorpion's toasty could be his final smash.

Simply he removes his mask, breathes fire on the entire stage causing massive amounts of damage to whoever touches it.

Granted I think a better Final Smash would be him dragging his opponents to the Netherrealm.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I beat NieR Automata and now I have The Big Sad, if we get Weight of the World E in a 2B reveal trailer I might actually ****ing cry at a Smash reveal
Welcome to the "Nier broke my heart" club.
I have Nier sitting in my library right now, waiting till I beat KH3 (again). Y'all are making me want to bump it up to (or close to) top priority gamewise. As for breaking my heart, well we'll see.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Shower thought: one character that's currently under discussed but may gain some traction in the future is BotW Zelda.

I know she was rejected by Sakurai for being more a scholar than a fighter, but between her actively exploring with Link and her shorten haircut (a common trope in Japanese media to show an initially feminine character taking on a more masculine role), it seems that she'll be much more proactive in BotW 2. Perhaps we'll even see her as a playable character to address the cries for a gender option in the first game?

This could make her good as the pass' promotional character like Corrin or Byleth, representing a major new release that came out after Fighter's Pass 1? Building a moveset around the runes, Champion abilities, and miscellaneous weapons could easily distance her from the regular Zelda.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shower thought: one character that's currently under discussed but may gain some traction in the future is BotW Zelda.

I know she was rejected by Sakurai for being more a scholar than a fighter, but between her actively exploring with Link and her shorten haircut (a common trope in Japanese media to show an initially feminine character taking on a more masculine role), it seems that she'll be much more proactive in BotW 2. Perhaps we'll even see her as a playable character to address the cries for a gender option in the first game?

This could make her good as the pass' promotional character like Corrin or Byleth, representing a major new release that came out after Fighter's Pass 1? Building a moveset around the runes, Champion abilities, and miscellaneous weapons could easily distance her from the regular Zelda.
Honestly, if we're getting our 3rd Zelda after ignoring characters like Midna or Ghirahim, I'm going to be a bit tight, not gonna lie.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Wouldn't an BotW2 character important to the story make more sense?

That or maybe one of the Champions?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, if we're getting our 3rd Zelda after ignoring characters like Midna or Ghirahim, I'm going to be a bit tight, not gonna lie.
Hey, I never said it would necessarily be a popular choice, but it is something that could happen if the right conditions are met.

You're not wrong that the Triforce curse needs to be broken, though. I'm kinda surprised Skull Kid is as dormant as he is in the greater Zelda series. With how much Nintendo loves to utilize the iconography of Majora's Mask, you'd figure they'd want to use him more often as an alternative to Ganon, but he's mostly stuck to cameos or minor roles no one would really care about if the Skull Kid name wasn't stapled to it.

Wouldn't an BotW2 character important to the story make more sense?

That or maybe one of the Champions?
It really depends on how BotW 2's story goes. For the reason I gave in my original post, the trailer seems to imply Zelda will play a bigger role, but she could easily be shoved in Ganon's Castle and confined to flashbacks again when the game actually releases.

Regarding the Champions, I'm kinda iffy on them. They'd all be really unique and cool, but Nintendo seems to hesitate adding Zelda characters that aren't in the Triforce Trio. We also don't know what kind of role they'll play in BotW 2, if they appear at all.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I'd be down for a character that uses the runes and the champion abilities... but it'd be really disappointing it it was a character already on the roster. Old!Impa or one of the Champions seem like more interesting ways to go about it.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Man, that comment from Sakurai make zero sense when characters like Isabelle is playable and they used AltP Zelda who spent most of the game kidnapped and not really doing much. Sakurai acts extremely weird when it comes to the Zelda series.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man, that comment from Sakurai make zero sense when characters like Isabelle is playable and they used AltP Zelda who spent most of the game kidnapped and not really doing much. Sakurai acts extremely weird when it comes to the Zelda series.
Its like how Rex was said to be too late for Smash but Byleth got in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom