• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I don't even know you could possibly misconstrue Halo as "overly violent" when we have both MGS which is far more realistic in its depiction of sci-fi military violence and Bayonetta which is far more explicitly bloody and sadistic in its violence.

I don't care much for Halo anymore, but this "violence" angle is a pretty bizarre stance to take honestly.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Reminder that the Smash team were more than happy to reference Paz having two bombs implanted in her and have multiple spirits, including Snake himself, have actual guns in their spirit art/renders.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Look at android 17 in Dragon Ball FighterZ. He was part of Android 18(?)’s moveset in base but became playable DLC later

and while not quite the same thing, She-Hulk’s classic mode closing scenes in vanilla Marvel vs. Capcom 3 had Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth appear. Then Ultimate MVC3 came around and Phoenix Wright became playable
And Kolin in SF5, being in a stage but playable later. Johnny Cage in MK11 being in a stage background if he isn't playable. Tron Bonne in MVC3 does the same thing. Martian Manhunter in Injustice 1. Black Manta in Injustice 2.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Reminder that the Smash team were more than happy to reference Paz having two bombs implanted in her and have multiple spirits, including Snake himself, have actual guns in their spirit art/renders.
Yeah, I was actually taken aback and even gasped when I saw her Spirit ability. I was quite shocked that they referenced that considering how hard that scene can be to watch to some people.

D

Deleted member

That was such a metal spirit; I wish we got **** like that more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I feel like one of the only series left that the "too violent" argument could apply to is Mortal Kombat. (Also Dead Space, but that series is kind of dead.)

With the other "violent" IPs I've seen discussed here, they've had their status as a genre-definer to fall back on should the blood and gore be neutered, but Mortal Kombat's legacy and biggest draw compared to Street Fighter is and always will be its ultraviolence and Fatalities, so much so that the ESRB was created partly because of it.

Not to say MK is impossible for Smash, but should a character be put in, we should be able to see them ripping out Mario's head and spine, otherwise it wouldn't be in the spirit of the series.

...Actually, Ridley could be a good guest fighter for it; I doubt Nintendo would have an issue with Riddles horribly killing others or being horribly killed.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
...Actually, Ridley could be a good guest fighter for it; I doubt Nintendo would have an issue with Riddles horribly killing others or being horribly killed.
I've been saying this ever since MK 11 dropped, Ridley would fit really well as a guest fighter in that game. The brutality and gore suits Ridley really well.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel like one of the only series left that the "too violent" argument could apply to is Mortal Kombat. (Also Dead Space, but that series is kind of dead.)

With the other "violent" IPs I've seen discussed here, they've had their status as a genre-definer to fall back on should the blood and gore be neutered, but Mortal Kombat's legacy and biggest draw compared to Street Fighter is and always will be its ultraviolence and Fatalities, so much so that the ESRB was created partly because of it.

Not to say MK is impossible for Smash, but should a character be put in, we should be able to see them ripping out Mario's head and spine, otherwise it wouldn't be in the spirit of the series.

I would totally buy MK11 if Ridley was in it. I'm not even a Metroid fan it's just that it makes total sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I doubt Nintendo would let any of their characters join MK, period. I agree Ridley would fit fine tonally, but I can't imagine Nintendo would be cool with even their most violent characters literally getting bloodily maimed and torn apart.

I mean, have you seen some of those fatalities? They make a spine ripping took tame.

UserKev

Smash Champion
.. What? Y' know dude, if you don't want MK characters in Smash, all you gotta do is say so.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like the whole "it wouldn't be in the spirit of the series" argument is nonsense. People used that to try and justify why Metroid should only have Samus as a playable character in Smash ("Metroid's about creating a sense of isolation! We can't have Ridley playable in Smash - it wouldn't be in the spirit of the Metroid series!") - it didn't make sense then, and it doesn't now.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
.. What? Y' know dude, if you don't want MK characters in Smash, all you gotta do is say so.
I feel like the whole "it wouldn't be in the spirit of the series" argument is nonsense. People used that to try and justify why Metroid should only have Samus as a playable character in Smash ("Metroid's about creating a sense of isolation! We can't have Ridley playable in Smash - it wouldn't be in the spirit of the Metroid series!") - it didn't make sense then, and it doesn't now.
I mean they could put them in and it'd be cool to see, but the last time they tried toning down Mortal Kombat, we ended up with MK vs. DC.

Tell me I'm wrong about Mortal Kombat. Enlighten me on how its identity and significance to the game industry isn't deeply entrenched in its glorification of violence.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean they could put them in and it'd be cool to see, but the last time they tried toning down Mortal Kombat, we ended up with MK vs. DC.

Tell me I'm wrong about Mortal Kombat. Enlighten me on how its identity and significance to the game industry isn't deeply entrenched in its glorification of violence.
I mean, I know people who've compared the story to a soap opera, if that means anything. Though you're right, the violence is... a major selling point.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Characters can be violent/brutal without blood spewing all over the place - to use Smash as an example, look at Ridley or Ganondorf. Someone like Kratos from God of War (another series heavily based on violence) can make appearances in Soul Calibur, Playstation All-Stars, or Shovel Knight without tearing someone's head off, and it seems like Scorpion or Sub-Zero could easily be toned down based on pre-existing appearances. (both of them were included in the Injustice games without any issues)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The lack of gore wasn't the reason why Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe was a bad game though. That implies fighting games need to be gory to be good. I think you can keep the brutal nature of Mortal Kombat while still toning down the gore. Take a look at Scorpion in Injustice: Gods Among Us, and Raiden & Sub Zero's appearances in Injustice 2 and see how much you like their implementation.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Since Mortal Kombat games change drastically with each installment, and most Mortal Kombat games appear on Nintendo consoles, how would Scorpion play? Would he take after his appearance in Mortal Kombat on the SNES, Mortal Kombat 11, or would they go with making something new? The former's probably the most likely, but it would be interesting to see the last option since it would mean that he would be distinct from Ryu, Ken, and Terry through his playstyle as well as his aesthetic.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
Take a look at Scorpion in Injustice: Gods Among Us, and Raiden & Sub Zero's appearances in Injustice 2 and see how much you like their implementation.
I think Injustice sold mostly for the DC characters. If they sold a new Mortal Kombat game with the gore toned down to Injustice levels, but it included only Mortal Kombat characters, I doubt it would sell as well.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
It's a huge jump from "villian from a first-party series" to "franchise which means zitch to Japan + extreme violence being a huge identity of the game". I mean, it seems pretty clear to me when Fatal Fury aka SNK was included over MK, despite the latter being more relevant and popular in today's context.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Characters can be violent/brutal without blood spewing all over the place - to use Smash as an example, look at Ridley or Ganondorf. Someone like Kratos from God of War (another series heavily based on violence) can make appearances in Soul Calibur, Playstation All-Stars, or Shovel Knight without tearing someone's head off, and it seems like Scorpion or Sub-Zero could easily be toned down based on pre-existing appearances. (both of them were included in the Injustice games without any issues)
You could totally include brutal violent characters in Smash Bros, this is the same game that includes Bayonetta. However, when it comes to a Mortal Kombat character there is one really important thing that has to be included but is a major barrier; Fatalities. Fatalities are the most important thing in Mortal Kombat and it set itself apart from many of the other fighting games, you can't have a Mortal Kombat character without Fatalities. Of course they can have the Fatalities move tied to Final Smash and not have it be that brutal (instant KO when damage is over 100%) but that just doesn't seem right for Smash Bros. I don't think it would fit well to have the word "Fatality" appear after Scorpion kill one of the characters in Smash Bros, plus the attack has to be tone down for an E10 rating. That aspect of Mortal Kombat seems difficult to implement in Smash Bros and have be satisfying.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I manged to create my own Fighters Pass using Pixlr: (I used Mircosoft Word back in the day before using this "Pixlr program".)
Mamboo's Fighters Pass.png

I must say it looks good with this.^-^

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I think this might be the first person on Smashboards to have never played a videogame before. Otherwise the levels of baffling wrongness can't be explained.
This is getting tedious. You're more than welcome to disagree, but maybe don't act like a 12 years old when arguing against me? There's nothing "wrong" with my interpretation. It's completely subjective, and they're the reasons why I, personally, don't think he's going to make it. You can disagree, you can argue against it, but you don't have to be a ***** about ME in the meantime. Because I'm not insulting or trashing anybody, just disagreeing with his chances.

1. (Halo is a) Very violent game.
No it isn't, honestly as far as M-rated franchises go it's pretty tame. Much less violent than Bayonetta and Persona.

It's M rated for a reason. It could be comical like Mario, it isn't. Sure, it could be Kill Bill level of violent, but that doesn't mean that everybody thinks it's a peaceful game. You thinking is mild doesn't mean the game is rated E.

2. With real guns and real bullets.
Didn't stop Metal Gear, and if you wanna get technical Bayonetta ("real bullets") and Persona (guns that look real), and besides Halo has many non-realistic guns that can be included. Plus as Gwen mentioned the notion of adding real bullets in videogames doesn't exist, bullets aren't modeled and in a game with Smash's perspective you won't see anything more than muzzle flash.

I don't know why people are focusing on the bullet animations, that's not the point. And as I said in another post, Metal Gear, Bayonetta and Joker don't focus on the guns at all: one is explosives, the other is styled martial arts with a bit of extra damage through the guns (which can be avoided completely in the main game) and Joker's gun is made unrealistic through its effects. Is that what they'd do with Master Chief? Maybe, but is that in the spirit of the character? Is that what a faithful adaptation of the character would do?

3. Real deaths
I think aside from like, Punch-Out and Wii Fit, there's not a single franchise in Smash where nobody dies. Killing is an intrinsic part of the videogame experience. Even Nintendo games, which are very family friendly, don't shy away from using death - realistically depicted death - as a plot point.

Because Mario stomping on a Gomba is the same as murdering people with a machine gun? Come on, everybody knows there's a line between those two. It's not just death, it's not just guns, it's not just violence, it's not just gore, it's all of them combined.

4. Too much of an Xbox mascot
Yeah, that's the point. That's why he'd be so exciting. Microsoft is already in the game so this is a moot point.

Moot? I don't think you know how business works. Microsoft is not necessarily begging for Master Chief to be in Smash. There's a lot behind it, even if Banjo Kazooie made it. They were purchased by Microsoft but they had extensive history with Nintendo, it's even one of those rare cases where you could say they're more of a Nintendo mascot. Halo has nothing to do with Nintendo. Ask yourself this: would Nintendo actively pursue the makers of Playstation All Stars, Marvel vs Capcom, and whichever other free-for-all game, to put Mario or Link in? For free? Those characters are beyond just properties, they're the image of the company. Master Chief achieves that status, and is exactly why he's popular. But I think, personally, that it's also why he can't make it. Even if you assume that Microsoft and Nintendo are friendly (which is actually unclear, they could have given permission and then all the dealings were with Rare, which actually was friendly), there's something more to those characters.

5. Xbox is not a thing in Japan
Xbox is accurately very unpopular over there, but Halo is one of the most successful Western franchises there (I think it's maybe like the third after Crash and Assassin's Creed but don't quote me on that). There is a PC audience there, and lo and behold Halo is on PC. People over there know about Master Chief, and it's not like Halo hasn't made enough of an impact so as to not be considered for being Western.

You should rewatch the Banjo reveal. Sakurai's behavior when he was talking about the XBox is all I need to think it's not happening. It sounded very awkward to actively promote the XBox and Microsoft, for one of their extremely minor IPs. So even if Halo was ported to PC, I don't think Nintendo would ever agree to the level of promotion Microsoft would expect of their biggest icon. The only reason, in my eyes, that Banjo and Kazooie made it was due to their prior Nintendo mascot status.

6. I still think he has a style issue in the game
You phrased this as an opinion so I'll give it a pass but most people would disagree that Green Samus isn't a fit for the game
7. Much like Goku
Goku has literally zero style issues considering we got four characters with that artstyle in Smash. Goku isn't getting in because he isn't a videogame character.
8. Are not in the spirit of it
Dunno what this means

Again with the style explanation: it's more than just artwork. It's the attitude, tone, context, brand compatibility. It's an opinion too, I just don't see those brands going together. Would you take your impressions of the original Super Smash Bros and say that Master Chief and Goku fit into that original roster? It's mostly Nintendo icons, from beloved franchises (in Japan), it's a mix with a lot of cartoony characters...

9. Doomguy has much better chance, disconfirmed or not
See here's the thing, if a character is disconfirmed you can't have a worse chance, that's impossible.

You know what I meant here. Anyways the disconfirm was a long time ago, before fighter pass stuff (especially the second). It might not have been a prioritized character in the first batch, but who knows. He does have a lengthy Nintendo history, less of a rival's mascot issue, and he was one if not the first to be in a first person shooter. I do think the realistic violence issue is still there (since the first few levels of some original games have him pit against humans), but he has other factors to mitigate that to some extent.

10. There's never a single human injured in Bayonetta
I don't know if you're not counting the named characters in Bayonetta as human for whatever reason but there are deaths and injuries. If you're talking background NPCs in cutscenes then I dunno, seems improbable but I can't check it.

Again, none of the injuries to the few names characters ever come from the guns. Bar for that one character (Luka's dad, only shown in a still frame), nobody human is known to die. Most of their injuries (usually brief and instantly healed) come from angels or falling. There's really not a lot of human characters at all in the games, so the violence against humans using realistic guns argument doesn't quite apply. Which I think is why Bayoentta could make it into the game.

11. The blood and kills we see are demons vs angels, meaning actually not as gross as Link diving his sword into Ganon's head.
Uh, what? I'm sorry, but even if you don't find those demons and angels exploding into blood gross, the point isn't how gross it is, it's how gory it is, and it's objectively gorier than anything in Zelda. The design of the angel bosses in Bayo 1 by themselves are gross and disturbing.

Have you ever pondered how gruesome a Gomba's death is? First they get flattened, causing massive internal damage, and then they get vaporized instantly and disappear in smoke. Hardly innocent... The point is, it doesn't matter. Gore or not, it's not a realistic creature. There's probably a ton of goo exploding from stuff killed in Metroid too, and nobody bats an eye. The stuff in Bayonetta is flashier, but you could be certain there'd have been an actual outrage if those torture devices had ever been used on a human character. Which is not the case.

12. Bayonetta has little to no sexual connotations, despite undressing for some kills, there's never a sexual tone to it
At this point I'm considering the possibility that you're just a troll bored during self-isolation. You're telling me that Bayonetta, introduced wearing a sexy nun costume that rips in all the right places Bayonetta, pole dancing during attacks Bayonetta, spanking enemies Bayonetta, isn't a game with a sexual tone?
13. more that her suit is made of hair and she needs it to summon the demons
Sure pal, and Quiet needs to breathe through her skin.

Here it's really a matter of interpretation. I've known people doing pole dancing, and it was not for sexy purposes at all. It was for circus, it was for exercise (it's a good arms/core workout, and there's great fulfillment when you can lift yourself like that), it was just to dance. When people told me Bayonetta was really sexual, I was curious. And then my reaction was: that's it? There's a single line hinting at sex in the first game, otherwise all we know is that she's always dancing and doing whatever the hell she wants with her body to do it with style. I agree with another poster here: it's more of an empowering thing. But there's never an idea that the sexier you become, the stronger. The nun costume is a brief thing in the opening and there's never anything else like this, including the return of said nun costume at the end. Had it been an actually sexual game, it would have been something like Conker's Bad Fur Day. And then again, you can take away those few references from Bayonetta and still keep intact the essence of the character. We also do know that Mai didn't make the cut as a cameo due to her revealing outfit, yet Bayonetta is in the game, so I must not be the only one thinking she's okay... Not sexier than tight suit Samus. But if you think Bayonetta is a very sexual character in a very sexual game, it's your opinion, but I need more than that to get excited and call it overtly sexual, and so do the execs at Nintendo it seems.

14. I don't know if [Bayonetta 2] was as much of a reference for Smash 4 at the time
Bayonetta got in Smash because Nintendo was publishing Bayonetta 2, and her default costume is the Bayo 2 one, so you do the math

Well you're missing a lot of variables if you can do math from that. Surei t was a promotional pick and it's her skin from Bayonetta 2, but do we know how much of the game Sakurai had played before choosing the character? Do we know which amount of content was in the version he played? If he got a demo of the game a year earlier to start working on the DLC, he might have been missing the text, the voice acting, or any other amount of content. But the design of the main character is usually something that's done quite early for promotional reasons. All we have for a reference on that is how early he played Three Houses for Byleth.

Also I hope that the nonviolent, nonsexual Travis Touchdown gets in Smash as well. But given you found Bayonetta to be a nonsexual game, maybe you just enjoy No More Heroes as the best shonen there is.

Oh he's a violent pervert alright. I actually do think his games are much more sexual than Bayonetta, and it's much more explicit. But I was never arguing against sexual characters to start with, so where is this going? I even highlighted, in the appropriate thread, worries about the soundtrack making use of more explicitly sexual language. And yes he's violent, but all the fights are super over-the-top unrealistic (and guns don't play a major role, only used against you to no avail). But yes, my support from Travis comes from how original he is as a character, even if he does have flaws. Which is the whole point of his games, you should try them out. And he would have nice gimmicks with his beam katana and battery charging, and a cool design, despite being a sword user. Feel free to point out all the flaws in the character, his design, and his context, you have that right and I would read it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well besides from the fact that the Smash DLC itself has been delayed, has there been any Smash related news and/rumours?

Because the rumours will either die out completely or get crazier than ever.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I still don't see Master Chief. Very violent game with real guns and real bullets that create real blood and real deaths, too much of an XBox mascot, XBox is not a thing in Japan, and I still think he has a style issue with the game, much like Goku, and are not in the spirit of it. Doomguy has a much better chance, deconfirmed or not, due to the demonic and sci-fi aspects, and his lengthy history with Nintendo.
Do you know that Doom is more obscure than Halo in Japan? Halo has cult following in Japan. There was uproar when there was change in Halo voice actor. And there was Halo anime which sold decently. Japanese studios wouldn't have just produced Halo anime without solid fanbase there.

Not to mention, Doom has been gorier even without 2016 and Eternal. Legacy with Nintendo means little. Look at Cloud and Joker.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Do you know that Doom is more obscure than Halo in Japan? Halo has cult following in Japan. There was uproar when there was change in Halo voice actor. And there was Halo anime which sold decently. Japanese studios wouldn't have just produced Halo anime without solid fanbase there.

Not to mention, Doom has been gorier even without 2016 and Eternal. Legacy with Nintendo means little. Look at Cloud and Joker.
I heard that Doom Eternal was released in Japan completely uncensored.

UserKev

Smash Champion

The gore aspect could be just a nod in Scorpion's Final Smash/Toasty, really. Smash could gimmick-fied it and you would still get the point. :ohwell:

You could totally include brutal violent characters in Smash Bros, this is the same game that includes Bayonetta. However, when it comes to a Mortal Kombat character there is one really important thing that has to be included but is a major barrier; Fatalities. Fatalities are the most important thing in Mortal Kombat and it set itself apart from many of the other fighting games, you can't have a Mortal Kombat character without Fatalities. Of course they can have the Fatalities move tied to Final Smash and not have it be that brutal (instant KO when damage is over 100%) but that just doesn't seem right for Smash Bros. I don't think it would fit well to have the word "Fatality" appear after Scorpion kill one of the characters in Smash Bros, plus the attack has to be tone down for an E10 rating. That aspect of Mortal Kombat seems difficult to implement in Smash Bros and have be satisfying.
Most of this is irrelevant because Scorpion is the only MK character that can get in Smash's roster if the opportunity arisen anyway. Scorpion Final Smash + Toasty = characters on fire with knockback. Done. :ohwell: It'd work and no one will care if its friendafied, which is the point. Every Scorpion supporter will just be happy he's in the game. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well besides from the fact that the Smash DLC itself has been delayed, has there been any Smash related news and/rumours?

Because the rumours will either die out completely or get crazier than ever.
Pushdustin tweeted this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom