• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Everybody's making JoJokes about the PotD and I'm just sitting here appreciating how it references the battle system with the camera angle and Joker's stance.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
As was Dante vs. Bayonetta. They ****ed Dante's regeneration to Deadpool levels when its really nowhere close to that. Bayonetta should had easily splattered him given she can headbutt skyscrapers with ease.

One of the reasons I stopped watching the series especially given their love for No Limit Fallacies.
Well they did change the rules and the result of Mario vs sonic switched due to that now Mario won

But I have retired that series recently myself though since they do get stuff wrong alot

Ben 10 vs green lantern was the worst one by far

“Claimed ben thing will automatically change to the right when something bad gonna happen to him” and yet it didn’t spot the patterns sisters cutting his hand off and green lantern winning.

They said something it does and yet they excluded it

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Bubsy doesn't have a Mii costume.

You're the one who claimed that Lloyd was never considered. I'm the one who said YOU don't have evidence for that.
Therefore the burden of proof is on you.
Gil, Megaman-Exe and Jacky had costumes too, were they in consideration?
When you constantly insist Lloyd was considered without any proof behind it what do you expect?
When going to a court and Person-X says Person-Y did something without any proof behind it no judge will deny that I (Person-Z) am not obligated to find proof that what Person-X said didn't happen, when there isn't any proof in the first place that it did happen!
When someone says a purple elephant exists and I rightfully doubt it, he needs to find proof for its existence and not me for debunking its existence! I can't search every square-inch of the earth for that pink elephant when I don't have reason in the first place to search for it! The one who says the doubtful claim is the one who has to prove it!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
When you constantly insist Lloyd was considered without any proof behind it what do you expect?
When going to a court and Person-X says Person-Y did something without any proof behind it no judge will deny that I (Person-Z) am not obligated to find proof that what Person-X said didn't happen, when there isn't any proof in the first place that it did happen!
When someone says a purple elephant exists and I rightfully doubt it, he needs to find proof for its existence and not me for debunking its existence! I can't search every square-inch of the earth for that pink elephant when I don't have reason in the first place to search for it! The one who says the doubtful claim is the one who has to prove it!
I already said what I needed to in my previous post. My point still remains the same.

I think the mods and everyone else would really appreciate it if we just ended this argument, because at this rate we're both going to be banned. Can you just please stop?

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace

Japanese smash Twitter advertised Persona 5 Scramble today.

Goes to show Joker isn't just a personal bias pick, but more so a partnership and business choice.

You get access to Last Surprise and Take Over (2 songs) if you've got a smash ultimate save file in your switch while playing Scramble.

It's giving Persona fans a reason to buy smash basically.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Specifically, it's mentioning the fact that if you have Smash Bros DLC data of Joker on your Switch you get two bonus songs. So it's not straight up "BUY THIS GAME", it is Smash related.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm talking with friends and can we just imagine if Sakurai decided to add Geralt from Witcher and while he's originally from a book series, at the same time we have something involved with the Megami Tensei book series and Dracula, although the former's very different from SMT and Dracula is public domain

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If it were up to (YOU) what kind of character would you pick for the absolute last character to be added to smash? Leaving aside personal preference, what do you think is the best course of action when you have to order 6 characters given to you?

Your most famous character available, to end it with a bang?
A fan request, for our loyal players?
The most niche character, since most people would have already bought the pass?
The one that generates the most butthurt, because who cares it's the last character anyway?
I'm always a proponent of ending things with a mic drop. End things strong. Break the internet.
Geno gets in but Square is only willing to let you play as his original 16-bit sprite
I'd take it.
Yup, Lloyd debuted on the Gamecube while Heihachi was featured in Playstation All Stars and was literally chosen as the Playstation exclusive character in Soul Calibur II (vs Link on the Gamecube). He was pretty much a never ever before Joker made it in. That's why Lloyd's support thread is more than four times larger than Heihachi's and why he's managed to score higher on several polls prior to DLC.

Tales has also appeared on 8 Nintendo consoles compared to just 3 for Tekken.
I don't see how Heihachi was a never ever before Joker. He was even in consideration for Smash 4.
Well, I've said before it's not "another crossover game", it's the rival equivalent crossover game, like the Justice League to the Avengers.

I'm not saying it's an impossibility btw, like all those bandwagoners have been jumping on me in this thread for. My whole original point was that just because a series sells slightly more than another doesn't mean it's far more deserving of it. But hey, the obnoxious fanbois don't care one bit!

Raiden appeared in Brawl first.
Fun fact: the Justice League and the Avengers have crossed over!
What does everyone think of Ryu Hayabusa’s chances?
Call it a hunch, but I think he's in. Makes just too much sense.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So the Animal Crossing Direct is in less than 8 and a half hours from now. Obviously not expecting anything Smash-related (and we shouldn't) but I'm eager to see what features are in New Horizons.
Specifically, it's mentioning the fact that if you have Smash Bros DLC data of Joker on your Switch you get two bonus songs. So it's not straight up "BUY THIS GAME", it is Smash related.
I find it ironic that "Take Over" is one of the bonus songs you can get in the Switch version of Persona 5 Scramble if you have Smash save data/Joker DLC on the Switch, yet the song itself is not in Smash. But then again the PS4 version allows you to get the same bonuses if you have Persona 5 Royal save data on the PS4, so I guess it evens out.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking with friends and can we just imagine if Sakurai decided to add Geralt from Witcher and while he's originally from a book series, at the same time we have something involved with the Megami Tensei book series and Dracula, although the former's very different from SMT and Dracula is public domain
While I don’t necessarily think Geralt will get in, I definitely think he would be the one to bend Sakurai’s video game only rule, certainly before someone like Goku.

That said, I’d be thrilled to get him, or a Mii costume, or even a spirit event.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
We also have the Devil twice (Devil World's Assist Trophy/Spirit and Cuphead's Spirit).

The more the merrier, why not haha.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok, I gotta complaint about our little community.

I'm irritated that people continue to say this, "Everyone wanted [insert extremely popular character] but whenever they get in people drop them a week later", I'm paraphrasing but this is the most untrue thing I've ever heard thrown around these boards.

There are 5 specific characters that I pulled for ever since I've been on these boards that made it into Ultimate. 6 YEARS of supporting these characters, of waiting for those characters. They are Snake, K. Rool, Ridley, Simon, and Banjo. Those 5 have carried me through my entire time on these boards because of my love for them, and what? Just because they're not new means that I'm over them? There are 4 of those that I go back to multiple times each time I play. They are at the top of my playtime list and they are well deserving. Ridley is the only character that I didn't jive with gameplay wise and yet I still get a little sense of childhood joy everytime I see his scary ass face on the roster. I play Snake the first game EVERY TIME I boot up Ultimate. I play Banjo all the time on different Nintendo stages, especially Mario, because of the childlike wonder that brings me. I play as K. Rool all the time because how goofy and fun his animations are. I play Simon all the time because of how happy it makes me to see one of my favorite franchises alive and well.

So, please, please stop saying this phrase. It is just incorrect. Ultimate has been out for over a year and I still haven't gotten over that Snake, Simon, ****ing Ridley, ****ing K. Rool, MOTHA ****ING BANJO-KAZOOIE, are in Smash. Everytime I see them, everytime I play them, it just makes me happy. And I'll probably never lose that feeling. And I'm 100% sure this isn't just me.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Playing DMC3 reminds me why Dante simultaneously excites and frightens me at the same time. On one hand, he has strong moveset potential, on the other hand, he’s Bayonetta on steroids.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ok, I gotta complaint about our little community.

I'm irritated that people continue to say this, "Everyone wanted [insert extremely popular character] but whenever they get in people drop them a week later", I'm paraphrasing but this is the most untrue thing I've ever heard thrown around these boards.

There are 5 specific characters that I pulled for ever since I've been on these boards that made it into Ultimate. 6 YEARS of supporting these characters, of waiting for those characters. They are Snake, K. Rool, Ridley, Simon, and Banjo. Those 5 have carried me through my entire time on these boards because of my love for them, and what? Just because they're not new means that I'm over them? There are 4 of those that I go back to multiple times each time I play. They are at the top of my playtime list and they are well deserving. Ridley is the only character that I didn't jive with gameplay wise and yet I still get a little sense of childhood joy everytime I see his scary ass face on the roster. I play Snake the first game EVERY TIME I boot up Ultimate. I play Banjo all the time on different Nintendo stages, especially Mario, because of the childlike wonder that brings me. I play as K. Rool all the time because how goofy and fun his animations are. I play Simon all the time because of how happy it makes me to see one of my favorite franchises alive and well.

So, please, please stop saying this phrase. It is just incorrect. Ultimate has been out for over a year and I still haven't gotten over that Snake, Simon, ****ing Ridley, ****ing K. Rool, MOTHA ****ING BANJO-KAZOOIE, are in Smash. Everytime I see them, everytime I play them, it just makes me happy. And I'll probably never lose that feeling. And I'm 100% sure this isn't just me.
Some people seem under the impression constant vocalization is necessary to indicate appreciation of an inclusion. But let's be real, that'd be weird if someone was consistently going "wow, I still can't believe K. Rool is in this game!", especially considering 99% of the conversation here revolves around characters still absent from the game, not which existing characters we gravitate towards - wherein current characters would be the focus.

It's just human nature to become accustomed to what becomes the status quo, but that doesn't mean those who remember what the game was like before x character don't appreciate the addition. Talking about something that happened months or years ago ad nauseum would be the strange part.

I get how if you're looking at it with a pessimistic, cynical view it seems, idk, ungrateful, or entitled. But honestly the alternative is unrealistic and unnatural.

That said, I would suspect that additions made before the individual really became cognizant of the scene probably do get taken for granted. Like I'm sure many people here have just always been used to Sonic in Smash, and don't really dwell on it, even though it was a megaton among megatons preceded by years of speculation when it happened.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Geralt is such a grey area in being considered a game character or a book character. Personally, I think the fact the Witcher games are licensed directly from the publisher of the books as a (loose) licensed adaption is what separates Geralt from Dracula, a public domain character reworked specifically for use in an unrelated video game. Then again, Sakurai could consider the adaption of the Witcher in game form as distinct enough from books to consider Geralt a game character.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Assuming we get a Bandai-Namco rep, I'm almost certain it's Heihachi.
And going by the recent Famitsu Column, I shall assume for now that these six newcomers are the final ones.
I don't think we'll get two characters from a single third party in one pass. I know that's an arbitrary fan rule I just made, but this IS speculation.
With all that said, I don't think we're getting Lloyd this time around. See ya in Smash 7.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Playing DMC3 reminds me why Dante simultaneously excites and frightens me at the same time. On one hand, he has strong moveset potential, on the other hand, he’s Bayonetta on steroids.
Can't say I see the issue.

I'd rather they represent Dante properly than tone him down because some people like to scream OP the moment a new character does something cool.

Every new character in the season pass (maybe except for Byleth) has had idiots say "Omg they're so broken! Lololol. Nerf!!!" and I must say, it gets old. Fast.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, that DID happen with me.

How much I WANT a character depends on how much I love the character and their series. How much I PLAY a character depends on, ya know, how they play.

I really wanted Simon. I liked how he plays. I still use him.
I really wanted Erdrick. I ****ING HATE how he plays. I NEVER use him.
I wanted Terry. I LOVE how he plays. I use him all the time.

As was Dante vs. Bayonetta. They ****ed Dante's regeneration to Deadpool levels when its really nowhere close to that.
Depends if it's cutscene Dante or gameplay Dante. Cutscene Dante is pretty much indestructible.

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
So I don't know if this was ever brought up, but one of my friends has been saying since January that a Pokèmon from Sword and Shield is definitely going to be part of the Volume 2 lineup because the spirits from the SW/SH event have yet to be added to the normal rotation of the Spirit Board.
Until now I didn't think this was noteworthy because I was under the impression that these kind of Spirit were added in order and that the Gen 8 spirits were simply the next in line and they would have become part of the normal rotation with the next major update.

But today I verified that the RE spirits, the Astral chain spirits, the River City spirits and even the Cuphead spirits are already accessible through the normal Spirit Board. So the Gen 8 Pokèmon are missing without a reason.

Now, it's entirely possible that all of this is meaningless and that this spirits are going to be added eventually without any fanfare.
But it's still possible that my friend's theory is true and there saving them for the Special Board that will come with the Gen rep.
At the very least I think this is a better hill to day on that the simplistic "Pokémon is so big that it doesn't have to follow the same rules as other franchise that were disconfirmed by Spirit event".

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So I don't know if this was ever brought up, but one of my friends has been saying since January that a Pokèmon from Sword and Shield is definitely going to be part of the Volume 2 lineup because the spirits from the SW/SH event have yet to be added to the normal rotation of the Spirit Board.
Until now I didn't think this was noteworthy because I was under the impression that these kind of Spirit were added in order and that the Gen 8 spirits were simply the next in line and they would have become part of the normal rotation with the next major update.

But today I verified that the RE spirits, the Astral chain spirits, the River City spirits and even the Cuphead spirits are already accessible through the normal Spirit Board. So the Gen 8 Pokèmon are missing without a reason.

Now, it's entirely possible that all of this is meaningless and that this spirits are going to be added eventually without any fanfare.
But it's still possible that my friend's theory is true and there saving them for the Special Board that will come with the Gen rep.
At the very least I think this is a better hill to day on that the simplistic "Pokémon is so big that it doesn't have to follow the same rules as other franchise that were disconfirmed by Spirit event".
Ehh... Are you completely 100% sure about that? As much as I'd love to jump to a conclusion that makes a SwSh Pokemon more likely, it would be extremely weird to have Cuphead Spirits available immediately after the event ends.

Kinda defeats the purpose of making a special event IMO.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
If a Pokémon rep is to get in for the second season pass, it's more likely to be one from the upcoming DLC.

Urshifu comes to mind.

There hasn't been a spirit event for the new DLC Pokémon, so that's still a possibility.

Not that I want another Pokémon rep, let alone Urshifu.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Ehh... Are you completely 100% sure about that? As much as I'd love to jump to a conclusion that makes a SwSh Pokemon more likely, it would be extremely weird to have Cuphead Spirits available immediately after the event ends.

Kinda defeats the purpose of making a special event IMO.
the Cuphead spirit event wait was strange, but I have a hunch either it was not ready in time for the Mii costume release or they decided to hold it back as to spread out the new content releases in between Byleth and FP6.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If a Pokémon rep is to get in for the second season pass, it's more likely to be one from the upcoming DLC.

Urshifu comes to mind.

There hasn't been a spirit event for the new DLC Pokémon, so that's still a possibility.

Not that I want another Pokémon rep, let alone Urshifu.
I think we're more likely to get a base game character. It doesn't make much sense to channel so much energy into promoting the SwSh DLC and only the DLC when you still need the base game.

We could get some references to the DLC, but I expect most, if not all of the content to come from the base game. They can still promote SwSh's DLC without being so obvious about it, just like they did with Byleth.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I think we're more likely to get a base game character. It doesn't make much sense to channel so much energy into promoting the SwSh DLC and only the DLC when you still need the base game.

We could get some references to the DLC, but I expect most, if not all of the content to come from the base game. They can still promote SwSh's DLC without being so obvious about it, just like they did with Byleth.
The way I see it, base game sales are already sorted out. They're still going to come regardless. At this point in time, the aim of the game is to sell DLC to existing base game owners.

They're moving priority over the DLC to increase longevity, so to speak.

Would make sense to put in a DLC Pokemon for that reason. That's just me though.

If a Pokemon of this gen were to make it in, I would've loved to have Corviknight, since it has become my favourite bird Pokemon, but alas it's a spirit. Also, being a bird, it would be hard to make it work in Smash lol.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Are you sure they don’t just appear because you already own those Spirits? I’ve missed every Spirit Event, but finally buckled up a week ago and got all of the base game ones, and the only Spirits from events that appeared on my board were the Pokémon Let’s Go, Link’s Awakening and Tetris ones. I can say with absolute certainty that even while I got the Cuphead ones this past Sunday the RE, Astral Chain and River City ones didn’t appear for me.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

No spirit event spirits newer than Terry have been added to the normal rotation yet. Sw/Sh, AC, RE, Kunio, whatever. If a person has them in their rotation, it means they got them during the event. The Sw/Sh spirits are the oldest that have yet to be added to the rotation, but they're not an exception.

The spirits added during the Byleth update were the ones from between Banjo and Terry, i.e. DxM, Tetris, etc. The post-Terry, pre-Byleth ones will presumably be added when FP6 drops.

D

Deleted member

Looks like I probably won't get to watch the Animal Crossing Direct tonight because I need to sleep early in order to wake up early tomorrow for a lecture with some college alumni. Regardless, I'm pretty much lowkey hyped about the newest Animal Crossing Direct, even though we as Smash fans won't be getting any new content because, well, it's dedicated to Animal Crossing content with New Horizons coming over in a couple of time.

I'm not going to wake up tomorrow and read this board to find posts here about their impressions on *insert character name here* getting announced, but I'm pretty much going to be stoked.

Maybe one day I might pick that game up if I hear nothing but good things about the game, who knows?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
By their logic he could defeat Superman, Godzilla, Thanos, Galactus, Darkseid, Hulk, heck any character without holy weapons for that matter all at once since that's the only way to kill him. Seriously Bowser had that fight in his hands.
Heck, by their logic Bowser should be near immortal, with the amount of times he's fallen off cliffs, drowned in lava and basically got swallowed by that black hole in the end of SMG1.

Jonathan Joestar confirmed.
Even though it's a Persona reference rather than a direct JoJo one, something tells me Sakurai must have known somehow lol.

Japanese smash Twitter advertised Persona 5 Scramble today.

Goes to show Joker isn't just a personal bias pick, but more so a partnership and business choice.

You get access to Last Surprise and Take Over (2 songs) if you've got a smash ultimate save file in your switch while playing Scramble.

It's giving Persona fans a reason to buy smash basically.
Wait, you get these songs in P5S or in Ultimate? Your wording kinda confused me and I can't read the original post, so...

If it is the latter, that would be great, as Scramble seems to have some killer remixes. Plus it would mean we can get some form of music DLC.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Wait, you get these songs in P5S or in Ultimate? Your wording kinda confused me and I can't read the original post, so...

If it is the latter, that would be great, as Scramble seems to have some killer remixes. Plus it would mean we can get some form of music DLC.
Yeah I reread that post and realized my wording was quite **** lol. My bad.

If you have a save file for Ultimate on your switch, and you get Scramble, you'll get 2 extra songs to listen to in Scramble.

Basically if you're a Persona fan who is getting Scramble, they're trying to incentivize those fans to get Ultimate too so they can unlock those 2 extra songs from the looks of things.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Hat Kid, Arle, and Celeste.
If you ask me getting one of them as a character is a good opportunity to get the other two as Mii fighters

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
No spirit event spirits newer than Terry have been added to the normal rotation yet. Sw/Sh, AC, RE, Kunio, whatever. If a person has them in their rotation, it means they got them during the event. The Sw/Sh spirits are the oldest that have yet to be added to the rotation, but they're not an exception.

The spirits added during the Byleth update were the ones from between Banjo and Terry, i.e. DxM, Tetris, etc. The post-Terry, pre-Byleth ones will presumably be added when FP6 drops.
Ah, i see. I actually didn't try to make the SW/SH spiriti show up on the board, that was definetly a mistake on my part.

Still, If those Spiriti don't get added to the standard rotation with the next major update we could have a major proof in favor of a Gen 8 Mon being added as a playable character later down the line.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hat Kid, Arle, and Celeste.
If you ask me getting one of them as a character is a good opportunity to get the other two as Mii fighters
Celeste is the name of the mountain, the character’s name is Madeline

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

If you have a save file for Ultimate on your switch, and you get Scramble, you'll get 2 extra songs to listen to in Scramble.

Basically if you're a Persona fan who is getting Scramble, they're trying to incentivize those fans to get Ultimate too so they can unlock those 2 extra songs from the looks of things.
Ah, I see. Interesting regardless. But it sure would be cool if they added songs in the same way you can get present Spirits, no?

I can see this kind of thing working for most of the DLC cast. And even for first party games, like adding the Gym Leader theme from SwSh if you own one of the versions or a new song from BotW 2 and New Horizons when they come out. Standalone music DLC would be interesting if done right.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Speaking of Mii costumes. I think any Indie rep is bound to get the treatment. Hollow Knight, Shantae (Head wear at least) you name it.

At this point after Sans and Cuphead I just can't see any of them being playable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's weird; why would you get a song for Scramble that isn't even in Smash Ultimate to begin with? Take Over isn't in Smash; usually cross-promotional things like this allow you to obtain something in game B that is only in game A. Ratchet & Clank did this a lot for their future games. Having an original Ratchet & Clank save file allowed you to get several of the original game's weapons in Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando; having a Going Commando file allowed you to get the Lava Gun and one other one in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal and then they continued this tradition for the PS3 line of games as well.

Since Take Over isn't in Smash at all (I'd love for to be), its odd that having a Smash file would allow you to get it in Scramble.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The virgin Take Over vs. the Chad I Believe

tfw we’re never gonna get the latter in Smash :c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom