• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we do get a Tekken fighter, I hope it's Kazuya or Jin instead of Heihachi. His story's finished now in the Tekken games and I rather be someone who will be in Tekken 8, barring they bring him back from the dead or a robot version of him.
Ghost Heihachi would be fun though. Also, after SFV's story mode, Capcom added Ghost M.Bison as a character, so I guess he isn't allowed to stay dead either.

But I agree, Jin's my Tekken main, so him being in Smash would be the sickest thing for me.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hmm yeah, he doesn't specificy that it has happened, but that it could've happen if an arrangement couldn't be come to in regards to other factors, just that in regards to moveset potential, that hasn't happened yet.

That does raise the question on what Sakurai and Nintendo couldn't agree on if it isn't moveset potential? Assuming it's Nintendo bringing up the ideas, I can't imagine they'd propose companies they couldn't get characters from or would be too expensive/unrealistic to license.

Much to think about...
View attachment 263123
Sometimes Sakurai can be weird and oddly specific when it comes to deciding what's important in a character. We know Pac-Man would've been scrapped if Sakurai couldn't get the design he wanted.

Regardless, I'd be very surprised if they ever told us what characters got rejected, if any. Even if it'd suck for supporters to find out that their character was rejected, it'd still be nice to have the confirmation that they were at least considered.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, if these 6 Fighter Packs really are going to be the last remaining DLC for Ultimate, I'm certainly hoping Nintendo chose characters that aren't speculated often in the Smash community. They definitely don't choose characters based on that, but if all 6 Fighter Packs were characters that the Smash community never thought about or didn't talk about often, that would be way more satisfying to me than getting 6 characters everybody wanted/expected to be in Smash.

Right now, I only have 2 characters pegged for Vol 2 predictions, but I'll probably get around to talking about who they are later on. The remaining 4 will probably be guesses cause I'm less confident with those remaining spots.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
ATs aren't always Sakurai's way of saying, "I don't think this character should be playable." I feel like Sakurai looks at ATs as the next best thing to becoming playable, so characters who were just a tad too low priority to make the roster can still have a notable role.

That would explain why characters like Little Mac and Isabelle were orginally ATs, but became playable fighters in the very next entry.
Because Sakurai has never been ok with upgrading Assist Trophies to full characters before?:ultlittlemac::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:

I highly doubt that if Nintendo proposed making an Assist Trophy a playable character he would say no. I've been saying this for months now, the question has always been whether or not Nintendo would choose to do that, not anything else.
Sakurai is all about representing characters and the Assist Trophies viewed as the next best thing as being playable to him. So the characters are already in the game, why would Sakurai want to upgrade any of them when they're already represented in Smash Bros Ultimate? Sakurai would rather put in a character that isn't in Ultimate rather than a character that's an NPC in Ultimate. Sakurai already did his job with the character, he believes the fans are happy with it, so he's going to move on and focus on the ones who aren't in Ultimate.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well, if these 6 Fighter Packs really are going to be the last remaining DLC for Ultimate, I'm certainly hoping Nintendo chose characters that aren't speculated often in the Smash community. They definitely don't choose characters based on that, but if all 6 Fighter Packs were characters that the Smash community never thought about or didn't talk about often, that would be way more satisfying to me than getting 6 characters everybody wanted/expected to be in Smash.
Why? What is so wrong with the community getting who they ask for the most? I get that you can't make everyone happy but you can make choices that make the most people happy.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai is all about representing characters and the Assist Trophies viewed as the next best thing as being playable to him. So the characters are already in the game, why would Sakurai want to upgrade any of them when they're already represented in Smash Bros Ultimate? Sakurai would rather put in a character that isn't in Ultimate rather than a character that's an NPC in Ultimate. Sakurai already did his job with the character, he believes the fans are happy with it, so he's going to move on and focus on the ones who aren't in Ultimate.
But why would he say no if he could make them work? And he never said ATs couldn't be upgraded in the same game (he may have said something during Brawl but that was, of course, before DLC was a thing for Smash). Just because they're represented as ATs doesn't mean he wouldn't be willing to reconsider them later, as he could still hear fan demand - and it still doesn't make sense for him to say no if Nintendo wants it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why? What is so wrong with the community getting who they ask for the most? I get that you can't make everyone happy but you can make choices that make the most people happy.
Besides, I'm pretty sure with how wild people are with their predictions, not many possible characters haven't been brought up and talked to death yet.

Well, besides maybe a 9th FE character
Lyn crying.gif

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So what we know based on Sakurai's column:
  • The next six characters are the last characters for Ultimate
  • Each character will come with a stage and s
  • Just like last time, Nintendo chose the characters
  • Sakurai and Nintendo discuss a character and come to an agreement. So far, based on the characters chosen last time, it has worked well.
  • Sakurai is doing what he can to make the fans happy
Which begs the question: What sleeper picks that have not been discussed much on here do you guys think that could happen in the second Fighters pass?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It probably has to do with this being the first Smash game with expanded DLC. So some see it as a chance to go back and look into things that might've been passed over before, as opposed to looking into the next game to do so years from now.

I do agree that the chances are really slim, as there's interesting choices as well from completely different franchises, let alone new companies. But I think if the possibility ever presented itself, there's also a ton of options. FS Cameos like Chrom might have a very slim chance since it's happened at least once. And Spirits are the equivalent to trophies, which had Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4 be DLC despite existing in the base game.

But those can be seen as the exception and not the rule. Possible, but far from a lock. ATs haven't been given upgrades or dual roles in the same title, which is why I personally still doubt it a lot.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Pushdustin is posting a more full translation of the column right now if you're interested.
Interesting. I'm the only one who saw the part where Sakurai said Pass would talk around a year to finish, just like the first one?
I'm saying that because of all the speculation about Pass 2 being finished by December 2021.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Here is my updated prediction of FP2:

1582153821676.png

or
1582153852513.png

(Another Namco Character.)

1582153683166.png

(A new Pokémon from Sword & Shield; not necessarily Rillaboom.)
Keep your Spirit Event comments to yourself because I’ve already given my thoughts on the matter.

1582154010388.png
1582154086163.png

1582154055490.png
1582154173711.png

D

Deleted member

Mainly personal preference. I want to be surprised by who Nintendo chose for Smash, and most of the characters I want aren't as expected or talked about anyways so I'm certainly biased on that. There isn't anything wrong with adding a character that a lot of people want, but if Vol 2 was only filled with 6 characters that almost everybody wanted/expected, it doesn't really do it for me even if it were to have Hayabusa in it. A Fighter Pass with 6 characters that most of us didn't talk about/see coming excites me more, but I don't really have a real explanation for why. There's just something special to me about that Vol 2 than the other.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hmm yeah, he doesn't specificy that it has happened, but that it could've happen if an arrangement couldn't be come to in regards to other factors, just that in regards to moveset potential, that hasn't happened yet.

That does raise the question on what Sakurai and Nintendo couldn't agree on if it isn't moveset potential? Assuming it's Nintendo bringing up the ideas, I can't imagine they'd propose companies they couldn't get characters from or would be too expensive/unrealistic to license.

Much to think about...
I find this interesting especially in light of the recent thing with Imran and Sora. Because if his claim that Nintendo tried to get Sora once and was blocked by Disney Japan is true, it gives credence not just to Nintendo being okay with it, but also Sakurai himself, meaning they already had ideas on how to implement him.

Again, this is just speculation, but if true, it would be the definitive confirmation that "having Disney content in his home series" is not something that would stop Sora.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
But why would he say no if he could make them work? And he never said ATs couldn't be upgraded in the same game (he may have said something during Brawl but that was, of course, before DLC was a thing for Smash). Just because they're represented as ATs doesn't mean he wouldn't be willing to reconsider them later, as he could still hear fan demand - and it still doesn't make sense for him to say no if Nintendo wants it.
In PushDustIn tweet Sakurai say that both him & Nintendo has to agree on the character and a character isn't canceled because of a lack of idea for them. Which means even if Sakurai can get the character to work he can still deny it if he's not on board with it. He could totally make Goku work but if Nintendo said they want him Sakurai will be Goku the boot as fast as he can. Sakurai want to include many characters in Smash Bros Ultimate, by going back and making an Assist Trophy playable means giving up on including a character who hasn't been in Smash Bros Ultimate. These Assist Trophy roles are just to say that they're in so the fans of that character can be happy. If Sakurai believes the fans are happy with that representation then why in the world would he waste 10 months on developing a character that people are already happy with when it could be apply to anyone else? Because of fan demand? No, Sakurai already knows that he can't make everyone happy, so it doesn't matter if people are actually upset that their favorite character will forever be an NPC. Knowing that he can't make everyone happy is the reason why he was fully on board with making Piranha Plant of all things playable over a character with fan demand. Sakurai knew that a lot of people knew that people weren't going to be happy with Byleth's inclusion, but he was still on board with it.

Sakurai will listen to fan demand as long as it align with his preference, if it doesn't then he ain't following through with it. There's always going to be fan demand that will go unanswered in favor of something, so why would Assist Trophy upgrade be any different when the character is in the game right now?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Mainly personal preference. I want to be surprised by who Nintendo chose for Smash, and most of the characters I want aren't as expected or talked about anyways so I'm certainly biased on that. There isn't anything wrong with adding a character that a lot of people want, but if Vol 2 was only filled with 6 characters that almost everybody wanted/expected, it doesn't really do it for me even if it were to have Hayabusa in it. A Fighter Pass with 6 characters that most of us didn't talk about/see coming excites me more, but I don't really have a real explanation for why. There's just something special to me about that Vol 2 than the other.
Who are you wanting exactly?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Might as well post my predictions as well. Finally going to set this in stone I guess, not in any real order.
  • Crash
  • Dante
  • Geno
  • Namco Rep, toss up between Lloyd and Heihachi
  • Master Chief
  • MYSTERY BOX : Toss up between Travis, Sol, or a random shill rep, if I had to pick one to bet on it's Travis but I feel pretty even on all three so whatever.
"Wow this just reads like the most generic Smash fan prediction list ever!" Yep, but these are the characters I've felt the most strongly about for the last couple months. Could go into a tangent on all of them but I won't. People act like Smash is this impossible thing to predict and while that is true sometimes, my gut feeling has proven pretty damn right with Ultimate so far (Simon, K.Rool, Dark Samus, Ken, Incineroar, Hero, Banjo), with other characters either being obvious in hindsight with my own bias getting in the way (Chrom, Isabelle, Byleth) or atleast making sense when you consider the bigger picture (Joker, Terry). There IS a method to the madness, though I still expect to get blindsided pretty hard by some stuff in the end.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What does everyone think of Ryu Hayabusa’s chances?
He's definitely one of the likelier characters imo, leaks or no leaks, he's always made a lot of sense for basically all the same reasons that Simon did (although there's a bit less weight on his series' legacy past the NES era, and more weight on his company's good relationship with Nintendo). My only concern is that he often comes off as a character that's probably more expected than wanted by most people, so he wouldn't exactly blow off the roof or anything. I personally want him, but I do get a feeling he might be a bit too much of a safe pick, and those characters obviously didn't fare so well in the first pass (except Byleth that is, but his inclusion obviously has no parallels to be drawn with Hayabusa).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who are you wanting exactly?
I posted this a couple of days ago:

A man with 0 photoshop experience decides to put a bunch of characters he wants to see in Smash on a black background in no particular order:

View attachment 262584

Characters in question from left to right: Yukimura, Lu Bu, Jacket (I put the Richard mask on here since I want Jacket as a Mii Costume), York, Billy & Jimmy, Cooking Mama, Aiai, Ryza, Nightmare, Sol, Layton, Zhao Yun, Geralt, Hayabusa, and Travis.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I posted this a couple of days ago:
Those are some very interesting picks. I won’t lie, I don’t know who many of them are, but I see Travis, Hayabusa, Sol Badguy, and MY GIRL, COOKING MAMA.

I would be ecstatic if she got in somehow. Even if it’s less than a 1% chance.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Even back then he was an important guy at Namco in general. You wanted evidence, I gave it to you. Still not believing it?
>That's why we view you as an echo chamber
no you presented bad evidence. another poster said this quote is from before smash 4 and from before the smash 4 poll, and from before when harada had a role as the head of namco. How would Harada know this? Harada is known as self promotor and a troll. He's as much a personality as he is a dev in the fgc.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
In PushDustIn tweet Sakurai say that both him & Nintendo has to agree on the character and a character isn't canceled because of a lack of idea for them. Which means even if Sakurai can get the character to work he can still deny it if he's not on board with it. He could totally make Goku work but if Nintendo said they want him Sakurai will be Goku the boot as fast as he can. Sakurai want to include many characters in Smash Bros Ultimate, by going back and making an Assist Trophy playable means giving up on including a character who hasn't been in Smash Bros Ultimate. These Assist Trophy roles are just to say that they're in so the fans of that character can be happy. If Sakurai believes the fans are happy with that representation then why in the world would he waste 10 months on developing a character that people are already happy with when it could be apply to anyone else? Because of fan demand? No, Sakurai already knows that he can't make everyone happy, so it doesn't matter if people are actually upset that their favorite character will forever be an NPC. Knowing that he can't make everyone happy is the reason why he was fully on board with making Piranha Plant of all things playable over a character with fan demand. Sakurai knew that a lot of people knew that people weren't going to be happy with Byleth's inclusion, but he was still on board with it.

Sakurai will listen to fan demand as long as it align with his preference, if it doesn't then he ain't following through with it. There's always going to be fan demand that will go unanswered in favor of something, so why would Assist Trophy upgrade be any different when the character is in the game right now?
We still don't know what he's thinking personally, if he sees fan demand for certain characters and decides to promote Waluigi or Isaac for example, he could still do it if Nintendo agrees and can still represent more games (even with Waluigi, some older Mario sports games and DDR aren't in Smash at all, and already-represented worlds don't even actually have the world or most music). What you're saying could also go for other forms of representation, including trophies in Smash 4. I don't see why he can't reconsider at least one or two characters between DLC seasons when he still has most spots left for 100% new worlds and has already reconsidered characters between games, including between Smash 4 and Ultimate with Ridley and whoever (Ultimate's project plan being finished not long after Smash 4 DLC ended). And they still chose Banjo and Kazooie, who got in thanks to Minecraft bridging the gap, Rare starting the talks, and Nintendo and Sakurai telling them yes.

Also, I really don't see why he would reject a character because "no, I don't like them or want them playable." Besides, based on what he said about Byleth, he would've preferred a different character.

edit: Actually, unless you want to call him a liar, I'm 100% sure he's not trying to satisfy his own bias and that's that, because he talks about wanting to make others happy.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I just watched the new PapaGenos video, and I am now convinced MandyCan is a fake leaker because of simple math.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Not gonna lie, it feels pretty good to have the "Nintendo forced Sakurai to put in Byleth" take put to bed. Likewise, this basically confirms Sakurai's veto powers go beyond simply denying because "this character doesn't work from a gameplay perspective". Although, it's still up in the air what he can decline a character for, my guess is he's got a pretty large swing in his reasoning.

However, the whole "we've never had to reject a character for a lack of ideas" does imply there were some rejected DLC fighters. Who these fighters were, I have no idea, but I'm extremely curious now.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Sakurai was 100% like this, why would Roy be allowed to be a DLC fighter in Smash 4, with an all-new Smash-exclusive outfit and his differences with Marth being rebalanced and Luigified? He'd think Roy fans are simply satisfied with Roy-colored Marth. But nope, he went the extra mile with bringing Roy back, unlike other Melee clones who came back after Brawl.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, it feels pretty good to have the "Nintendo forced Sakurai to put in Byleth" take put to bed. Likewise, this basically confirms Sakurai's veto powers go beyond simply denying because "this character doesn't work from a gameplay perspective". Although, it's still up in the air what he can decline a character for, my guess is he's got a pretty large swing in his reasoning.

However, the whole "we've never had to reject a character for a lack of ideas" does imply there were some rejected DLC fighters. Who these fighters were, I have no idea, but I'm extremely curious now.
imagine that outcry if we find out these were "fan favorites" like geno and waluigi.

in my opinion, any prediction where every single character is not either significant to a genre, videogame history, or member of a major franchise is a reach.
some characters have missed thier time imo: KOS-MOS. Some aren't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things: geno. Others are victims of bigger characters existing that could somewhat fill thier playstyle in the game: travis vs dante or even sephiroth. sepiroth feels like a reach to some but this FF7 remake is gonna make the gaming landscape shake. if you dont understand how big this is you need to talk to some people.

final prediction list: dante, lara croft, fiora/elma, fighting game character (not mortal kombat), pokemon, Lloyd

it would be so funny ot me if the game that got the promotional pick isnt metroid or botw but bayonetta 3 instead.
idk what it would take to get a botw character. if midna couldnt get in with her massive story and gameplay role its gonna be a reach for anyone else.

after the disappointment of dark samus as a clone im not behind and other Metroid characters.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I dont think bayonetta had a chance. Not sure why people keep predicting her.
Isn't Bayonetta already IN Smash? Oh wait... it's a joke.
Might as well post my predictions as well. Finally going to set this in stone I guess, not in any real order.
  • Crash
  • Dante
  • Geno
  • Namco Rep, toss up between Lloyd and Heihachi
  • Master Chief
  • MYSTERY BOX : Toss up between Travis, Sol, or a random shill rep, if I had to pick one to bet on it's Travis but I feel pretty even on all three so whatever.
Here's my predictions:
  • Zero (the Mega Man Zero version)
  • Either Arle, Ringo, Doppelganger Arle, or Poison Ringo.
  • Lloyd
  • Phantom R
  • Either Nakoruru or Rera
  • Dark Meta Knight

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Sakurai was 100% like this, why would Roy be allowed to be a DLC fighter in Smash 4, with an all-new Smash-exclusive outfit and his differences with Marth being rebalanced and Luigified? He'd think Roy fans are simply satisfied with Roy-colored Marth. But nope, he went the extra mile with bringing Roy back, unlike other Melee clones who came back after Brawl.
Because who the hell would pay for a Marth clone as standalone DLC? Roy was lucky to be a DLC character and thus have all the focus of a post-game dev cycle to focus on making him new and fresh and enticing to pick up. Pichu, Dr. Mario, Young Link, and the echoes should tell you that for as much cool tuning there is for characters in future iterations, sometimes "good enough" is "good enough."

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Also why bring Lucas back when he already had a trophy, and not only that, his specials were given to Ness as custom moves? Certainly he was listening to fans.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm predicting two of them were Travis and Doom Guy.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
That Famitsu article didn't really tell us anything substantial about the upcoming fighters in the season pass.

Well, it's what I expected at the very least so can't say I'm disappointed.

Now to play the very long waiting game.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
We still don't know what he's thinking personally, if he sees fan demand for certain characters and decides to promote Waluigi or Isaac for example, he could still do it if Nintendo agrees and can still represent more games (even with Waluigi, some older Mario sports games and DDR aren't in Smash at all, and already-represented worlds don't even actually have the world or most music). What you're saying could also go for other forms of representation, including trophies in Smash 4. I don't see why he can't reconsider at least one or two characters between DLC seasons when he still has most spots left for 100% new worlds and has already reconsidered characters between games, including between Smash 4 and Ultimate with Ridley and whoever (Ultimate's project plan being finished not long after Smash 4 DLC ended). And they still chose Banjo and Kazooie, who got in thanks to Minecraft bridging the gap, Rare starting the talks, and Nintendo and Sakurai telling them yes.

Also, I really don't see why he would reject a character because "no, I don't like them or want them playable." Besides, based on what he said about Byleth, he would've preferred a different character.
Sakurai says what he personally thinks in interview and the columns he writes, he wants Ultimate to be the biggest crossover game there is. Making Waluigi playable doesn't allow them to represent more games because Waluigi is already in Ultimate; whatever game you can tie Waluigi to, like DDR or the sports game, is already accomplished because he in the game. These characters are already represented so making them playable doesn't make it any more different than besides adding a stage and a few songs. What I'm saying can be apply to other forms of representations. With the Smash 4 trophies they were made way in advance before they knew they were going to make DLC, and they already have moveset made up for them so at the time Sakurai is good with making them playable as DLC. The reason why he isn't going to reconsider upgrading Assist Trophies is because they're viewed as the next best thing to include, if Sakurai going to upgrade anything it's going to be Spirits because they're just PNGs. If an Assist Trophy gets upgraded it's going to be through another game, as of now these characters are in Ultimate and that's good enough for him.

Also Sakurai said that he has to be on board with the character, if not then he will cancel that character. So if he doesn't want to work on the character then he's not going to work on the character. As for Byleth, Sakurai is a huge Fire Emblem fan. All Nintendo had to do was suggest it and he would've agreed in a heartbeat, Smash fans be damned. Byleth was literally the only reasonable character they could've put in from Three Houses.

What's that, Sakurai went the extra distance for a Fire Emblem character inclusion? It's as if Sakurai is a massive Fire Emblem fan! Of bloody course he would go the extra mile for Roy and Luigify him. He loves Fire Emblem so he'll put as much effort a character like Roy. You'll put more effort into your favorites.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
God I really hope Hayabusa is one of the 6 DLC characters. Just imaging him fighting Simon, Mega Man, Link and other NES greats just seems so right.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So what we know based on Sakurai's column:
  • The next six characters are the last characters for Ultimate
  • Each character will come with a stage and s
  • Just like last time, Nintendo chose the characters
  • Sakurai and Nintendo discuss a character and come to an agreement. So far, based on the characters chosen last time, it has worked well.
  • Sakurai is doing what he can to make the fans happy
Which begs the question: What sleeper picks that have not been discussed much on here do you guys think that could happen in the second Fighters pass?
Anybody from Level 5 would be a sleeper pick imo.

Yokai watch, Professor Layton, Inazuma or Ninokuni would all be great to have.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm genuinely curious, why do some people expect such a massive shift when Fighter's Pass Volume 1 made tons of sales and got tons of praise heaped upon it with Ultimate continuing to sell millions every couple months to essentially fund all the DLC they could ever want? What's exactly the incentive that people see for Nintendo to change their tune and focus on things when what they've already done has been so successful?

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I thought Hayabusa was totally going to be FP4 because that was the prime spot for an underdog third party like Tecmo. SNK still filled that "underdog" prediction from me but that's not going to stop me from expecting Hayabusa for FP9 or 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom