• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think we're more likely to get a base game character. It doesn't make much sense to channel so much energy into promoting the SwSh DLC and only the DLC when you still need the base game.

We could get some references to the DLC, but I expect most, if not all of the content to come from the base game. They can still promote SwSh's DLC without being so obvious about it, just like they did with Byleth.
As far as I see it, the only path to a Gen VIII Pokemon is via the DLC considering I think the Spirits destroyed any chance for base game because barring Wooloo, a really ill defined Toxtricity (who Game Freak clearly tried to set up and then did almost nothing with, which is annoying since Tox is my favorite of Gen VIII), and maybe Gigantimax Charizard, they hit the big check marks for base game Sword/Shield. DLC actually is all new content and would make more sense to focus on if anything, and for someone who tries to use "Pokemon is big enough to subvert expectations," pulling back on Pokemon DLC when a Pokemon such as Urshifu is going to play a huge role in that DLC and will also continue well beyond that DLC as all Pokemon do, seems really odd. If Game Freak really starts pushing Urshifu like it seems like they will, then they're in an ideal position for Smash DLC as a "newer set of content to explore."

D

Deleted member

they're gonna reveal jane hairbones from persona 5 royal in the ac direct

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Literally Sakurai had said that if he isn't on board with Nintendo's request then he would cancel that character. Nintendo and Sakurai had to discuss the character to come to an agreement, and also said that if they don't agree then it's not happening. Sakurai also said that he doesn't cancel a character due to lack of ideas. This is the process that Sakurai stated today, this is the same process that was used to decide the last patch of DLC. Sakurai didn't just role over on his back and let Nintendo take full control without his approve, what they were doing now for Vol 2 is the same thing they did for Vol 1. Which means that Sakurai had to approve of Byleth. Sakurai could've said "I don't agree with this character, lets do something else" and cancel the character right then and there if he was agreed that there was too many Fire Emblem characters, but instead he agreed with it and went through with it. Sakurai himself was okay with ending Ultimate off with Byleth, he knew there was going to be backlash, he still had the power to say no to Nintendo's pick, and yet he still went through with it. I guess it's easy to ignore that Sakurai still had some control when it came to DLC and just have Nintendo be the ones who tied Sakurai up and forced him into including Byleth.

Also Sakurai was the one to include Robin, a modern Fire Emblem character. Sakurai was also the one who decided to do Corrin, not Nintendo. He may have thought that Corrin was too much, but he still went with it. It literally doesn't matter if Sakurai though it was excessive when he himself still went with the idea, that initial is pointless. So if Sakurai had the ability to say no to a character and already thinks that there's enough Fire Emblem character then why did he not just say "No" to Nintendo's request when he stated that he had that ability to do so?
Not my point again though lol. Sakurai didn’t turn down Byleth because he was a fire Emblem fan but because he had potential and Nintendo wanted him in not because he wanted to personally put in another character from fe. Once again knock it off with the weird agenda stuff just because you’d like a certain character to apply or not to apply to it and then absurdly pass off said agenda breaking character as factually not going to appear just because you would rather see others give up hope on characters who you don’t want to see to an extent that you make up sad fanrules and the like because you want people to view your opinion as fact and stop hoping for them

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
In an order, Hornet, Isaac, and Yuri Lowell.
Hope at least one of them get in.
Also, if we get another Pokemon rep, I hope it's not a new-generation Pokemon like Incineroar. Maybe someone like Meloetta, who can bring back Zelda's transformation mechanic.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, Sora was deconfirmed, but until all 6 fighters are released, nobody will believe it. Same with Doom Guy and Dante.
What about Master Chief or Travis? The latter I believe is deconfirmed but the former might have a chance if Microsoft is allowed to double dip

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What about Master Chief or Travis? The latter I believe is deconfirmed but the former might have a chance if Microsoft is allowed to double dip
Base game and Season Pass 1 wise he was but Travis now has a shot for Season Pass 2 especially the statement of his creator to Sakurai how he won't let him get away with not adding Travis.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
That's weird; why would you get a song for Scramble that isn't even in Smash Ultimate to begin with? Take Over isn't in Smash; usually cross-promotional things like this allow you to obtain something in game B that is only in game A. Ratchet & Clank did this a lot for their future games. Having an original Ratchet & Clank save file allowed you to get several of the original game's weapons in Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando; having a Going Commando file allowed you to get the Lava Gun and one other one in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal and then they continued this tradition for the PS3 line of games as well.

Since Take Over isn't in Smash at all (I'd love for to be), its odd that having a Smash file would allow you to get it in Scramble.
I think those 2 extra incentivised songs is for die hard fans, or completionists.

It's like most people getting season pass 1 and 2 for smash even if it's going to contain a few characters they're never going to use: gotta complete that roster.

It's also something extra as a reward for those who already have Ultimate, alternatively speaking.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not sakurai's choice. It is nintendo's. Travis seems like a spirit to me.
That and Travis’s taunt is literally a reference to... uhhh... A Date With Rosie Palms. So basically, Not For Good Boys And Girls just like Mai, but in a different sense. Unlike Mai though he would at least get a Spirit, just don’t expect him to be playable.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
That and Travis’s taunt is literally a reference to... uhhh... A Date With Rosie Palms. So basically, Not For Good Boys And Girls just like Mai, but in a different sense. Unlike Mai though he would at least get a Spirit, just don’t expect him to be playable.
Dont say his taunt. It is an offense. I agree. Kind of like Mai for Travis.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Playing DMC3 reminds me why Dante simultaneously excites and frightens me at the same time. On one hand, he has strong moveset potential, on the other hand, he’s Bayonetta on steroids.
Bayonetta being as broken as she was is solely due to how generous Witch Time was and how development for Ultimate began around her release meaning they only had time for a slight tweak, as seen with Ultimate, they have more time and resources to balance

osby

Smash Obsessed
I love how Mai made people forget that Bayonetta is a fighter.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have a feeling that Banjo & Kazooie are the only playable characters we'll get from Microsoft. Steve may be a possibility considering he would be pretty low budget on the animation side and Minecraft is the reason Banjo & Kazooie got in so I think they'd go for him next if they wanted to double dip with Microsoft.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Doom Slayer was disconfirmed because of comments literally pertaining to Smash which were recent. Pretty straightforward, I agree he's done.

Sora is a bit up in the air, though I feel he's probably not happening unless it was kept super duper secret.

Dante was "disconfirmed" by a comment from the series director along the lines of, "Dante probably wouldn't be in Smash until his games are on Switch" just before DMC1 was revealed to be on Switch...which implies that the Director of that very game would know, at the time of the comment, that those games were coming to Switch. This one I don't buy as much.

Call it bias if you want, I don't see Dante as the same situation as the other two. Sora even isn't disconfirmed officially, but I wouldn't doubt his absence.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I wish we get a direct with a new reveal soon so that we can get some idea about where the pass is heading.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So Crash, Sora and Master Chief are the new big 3 right?
Can we stop trying to force a "new big three?"

There was never really one to begin with, either, considering even among just Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie, they had vastly different points of popularity spikes at different times. And comparing any of the three you listed to what even Banjo-Kazooie had, never mind Ridley and K. Rool, is pretty baseless.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean could they just not give him that taunt? Pretty sure he has plenty of other taunts he could use from his games that wouldn't be inappropriate for good boys and girls.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I actually went back to looking at the Dante articles, and I feel it's best to clarify.

First, Mr. Itsuno is interviewed and the article for said interview is published on February 7th. It can be found here. In the article, he says that Dante should be on Nintendo consoles first before being in Smash. He says, "Get on it!" around the "port manager" who happens to be at the interview. So this now happens to be over a year ago.

Next, on May 7th, Devil May Cry Switch port is announced officially. This means there's a timeline of 3 months where the game is announced for Switch. Obviously negotiations are a thing, as is development. Granted, it's a port so much of the game is already set to start on.

I do think the whole thing is interesting. Doesn't confirm Dante at all, but the thing of it is...the context of those comments was Dante being in Smash. That in itself is pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wish we get a direct with a new reveal soon so that we can get some idea about where the pass is heading.
If Zippo is to be believe we should get an General Direct next week but I wouldn't count on FP6. I'm of the belief we're not getting him/her until E3 unless we get one like we did with Byleth in March/April.

We could get an tease similar to Joker and Terry with no gameplay but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
No Doomguy in the Animal Crossing direct? I've lost all interest in that game now. :4pacman:
But hey, fortunately for the official Doom twitter account, Isabelle was in the Animal Crossing Direct and will be in New Horizons so that's good news.
If Zippo is to be believe we should get an General Direct next week but I wouldn't count on FP6. I'm of the belief we're not getting him/her until E3 unless we get one like we did with Byleth in March/April.

We could get an tease similar to Joker and Terry with no gameplay but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Assuming that we do get a reveal (which of course is not a guarantee), I could see "Now in development!" after next character's reveal, like what they did for Terry.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I figured I'd ask what peoples' opinions on Ryu Hayabusa are. Not sure if he's a hot topic in this thread in particular but he's just one of those characters that's been lingering around in speculation forever and wanted to see how people here feel about him going into Season 2.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I figured I'd ask what peoples' opinions on Ryu Hayabusa are. Not sure if he's a hot topic in this thread in particular but he's just one of those characters that's been lingering around in speculation forever and wanted to see how people here feel about him going into Season 2.
IAmShifty had never said anything back about him.

I say we can rule him out.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I was referring to how you made it sound like Sakurai can't possibly omit Travis's suggestive parts to make him fit Ultimate's age rating.
Like i say with doom guy. Remove the gore. Remove the utter brutality and what are you left with? The playmobil version of doom. Doomguy is hyper violent. It is a defining feature.

This always reminds me of saturday mourning cartoons. Parodies of the characters.

Oh, and mai. They could of tonned down her sexiness to have a cameo, but they didn't.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I'm 50/50. Wasn't really that interested in him. If he gets in, I would be "Oh, he got in. Cool."

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Like i say with doom guy. Remove the gore. Remove the utter brutality and what are you left with? The playmobil version of doom. Doomguy is hyper violent. It is a defining feature.

This always reminds me of saturday mourning cartoons. Parodies of the characters.

Oh, and mai. They could of tonned down her sexiness to have a cameo, but they didn't.
^ THIS IN BOLD. they could have even just given her a Spirit with the Camilla/Mythra treatment but not even that

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Taking out any sort of insider knowledge where he was apparently thrown around a lot at the beginning, I'd say Koei-Tecmo has a hell of a good chance to be getting a character. And if any insider knowledge around the time of last Pass is to be believed then he has an even better shot.

Last edited:

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Given his status as an NES icon, and Koei Tecmo working on so many projects with Nintendo, I would say his odds are pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom