• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
If I may... I disagree with Grief and yet I don't think he was jumping on anyone. The point of his post was that "it's the last chance we'll get, so it's best to add more new series for the sake of adding them" isn't really a good argument, because we don't know the future of Smash.

Even if my opinions on the matter are opposite of his, I think it's a good point. And I don't think it hinders discussion either, because it makes us reconsider something that gets repeated over here all the time.
I get that, but on the same token, I don't think there's a right or wrong to it. If Grief wasn't saying that, then I apologise for misunderstanding, but I was kind of getting a feeling that he was kind of being a little bit judgey.

As it stands, though, I can't deny the good points others here bring: Even as a Byleth fan, it doesn't make the crossover bigger. Adding in Shadow, Chun-Li, or Sephiroth wouldn't make the crossover bigger, and that bums out those who want to see Sakurai make history here and get as many different worlds as possible. While I don't feel the same way, I can understand why people feel that way and respect the opinion while still hoping for what I want.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
tbh Nier is in kind of a weird spot because if it were to get a character in Smash, it'd be the first franchise in Smash with zero history on Nintendo platforms. Even something like Persona has a few spinoffs.

I don't think that necessarily rules out 2B, but it could be something to consider. Sakurai has stated that having a history on Nintendo consoles is sort of a "courtesy" and that if Cloud hadn't appeared on Nintendo through games like Chain of Memories and Theatrhythm, he may of had some "misgivings".

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Then i want 2B in a parka. As an ice climber echo /s.

Good thing her character isnt defined by Fan Service, unlike miss Shiranui....i think?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Then i want 2B in a parka. As an ice climber echo /s.

Good thing her character isnt defined by Fan Service, unlike miss Shiranui....i think?
Mai also had sideboob which is also a huge no to CERO

MooMew64

Shantae still has the massive hurdle of being an indie character and having a spirit.

If Shovel Knight, Cuphead, and Sans of all characters weren't big enough, I unfortunately have doubts about Shantae myself. Could totally see a PreMiium costume for her for Mii Brawler, though.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Again, 5 million is ridiculous, the PS4 was the clearcut winner of the generation too. This is like me saying nobody likes Banjo because of the noticable drop off from Kazooie to Tooie sales
I'm denying 5 million is not an impressive sales figure, what I'm denying is Nier: Automata was so large that people couldn't have avoided it if they owned a PS4. When a game has an attachment rate of 5%, it's not a universal experience to the console like, say, Tetris was to the Game Boy. As such, I don't think it's that out there that there's people who do own a PS4 and regularly use it but are unfamiliar with 2B and Nier: Automata as a whole.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
For 2B they could just cover her bottom with some sort of panties. There was this image but I cant find it even when I look it up.

She's no Mai. It worked for:ultbayonetta::ultcorrinf:and:ultpalutena:it can work for her.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Resident Evil is literally Capcom's most successful franchise ever and all it got in Smash was a spirit event. I don't see why makes a DMC spirit event so sacrilege in that regard.
While I'm not wishing for anyone's character pick to be put on the exorcist chopping block for spirits like Resident Evil was, you bring up a good point. If they chose one of the most successful franchise as a spirit board, then possiblely no one is safe.

However, at the same perhaps Resident Evil could of course have been a special case that may not apply to some of the other franchise, who can say?

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I think this opens up the possibility of future spirit battles using DLC fighters with an alternative in the event the player don't own the necessary DLC.
So... like... removing Isaac AT from his fight and use Isaac fighter instead when he gets in?

OooOoOoOOoHhhH

What do you mean! Shantae or Isaac or Rayman could NEVER be DLC because the game would break if they changed their WoL spirit battles! It's impossible!
That's it!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Elma makes it as a fighter, I think they might keep Bayonetta as her Spirit representative, or even Byleth with the Edelgard color, but play Uncontrollable instead of YWKON (or whatever XB1 music she uses)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
2B isn't even likely.

She's a lot more possible than she was when I put her in my sig as a joke/pipe dream during base game speculation, but apart from "popular, recent, and Sakurai likes the series" there's never been anything saying we'll get a second Square rep and if we did they'd pick 2B. I like that shes being talked about considering, again, Nier Automata is the best game I have ever played, and if we had one character with zero Nintendo presence added she's the only one I actively want (though a Sony rep and Chief are cool as heck conceptually) but I really don't want her to be seen as some kind of "lock" because only bad things happen for both supporters and detractors when that happens.

Also, yeah, they could literally just lengthen the leotard into something more akin to bike shorts if they wanted to CERO her up. Easy-peasy.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I get that, but on the same token, I don't think there's a right or wrong to it. If Grief wasn't saying that, then I apologise for misunderstanding, but I was kind of getting a feeling that he was kind of being a little bit judgey.

As it stands, though, I can't deny the good points others here bring: Even as a Byleth fan, it doesn't make the crossover bigger. Adding in Shadow, Chun-Li, or Sephiroth wouldn't make the crossover bigger, and that bums out those who want to see Sakurai make history here and get as many different worlds as possible. While I don't feel the same way, I can understand why people feel that way and respect the opinion while still hoping for what I want.
Yeah, I get that. At the same time, I don't want Arle instead of Tails or Phoenix instead of Chun-Li just to make the crossover bigger, but just because not only do I like their series and think they deserve to be represented in the greatest gaming crossover of all time, but also because they're from genres that don't have any fighters (there's Dr. Mario for puzzle, but let's be real, the only thing he actually takes from Dr. mario is Neutral B).

With Sephiroth, I guess there's also the point of FF not getting much content. Honestly, having just Tifa, Barret, Yuffie, Aerith and Sephiroth as Spirits would have helped mitigate the lack of songs and other stuff.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Personally, I've never prioritized new franchises over the characters themselves. Yes, it's cool to see Smash add more and more series to the game, but you don't need a character to do that. Technically, Smash is expanding the number of universes by Spirits and Mii Costumes.

There are a handful of new franchises I'd like to see, but "X should get in before Y because their franchise isn't in Smash" feels like we're adding characters for the wrong reason.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Yeah, I get that. At the same time, I don't want Arle instead of Tails or Phoenix instead of Chun-Li just to make the crossover bigger, but just because not only do I like their series and think they deserve to be represented in the greatest gaming crossover of all time, but also because they're from genres that don't have any fighters (there's Dr. Mario for puzzle, but let's be real, the only thing he actually takes from Dr. mario is Neutral B).

With Sephiroth, I guess there's also the point of FF not getting much content. Honestly, having just Tifa, Barret, Yuffie, Aerith and Sephiroth as Spirits would have helped mitigate the lack of songs and other stuff.
Same here. I'd be super down with more Sonic content, (Eggman would be an instant main) but I also understand why it would bum some out. Like, again: I adored Byleth, but I understand why some were disappointed.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Same here. I'd be super down with more Sonic content, (Eggman would be an instant main) but I also understand why it would bum some out. Like, again: I adored Byleth, but I understand why some were disappointed.
Not gonna lie, Eggman in his Death Egg Robot not being a third party boss like Rathalos and Dracula was weird for me. I'd love to get more content like that.

Since we brought it up, what about a game? Imagine we get a third party stage from a new series. No character, just a stage. What would you like to see?

For me... I guess Monkey Ball or Samba de Amigo from Sega, or pretty much anything Capcom that doesn't get a DLC character lol.

MooMew64

Not gonna lie, Eggman in his Death Egg Robot not being a third party boss like Rathalos and Dracula was weird for me. I'd love to get more content like that.

Since we brought it up, what about a game? Imagine we get a third party stage from a new series. No character, just a stage. What would you like to see?

For me... I guess Monkey Ball or Samba de Amigo from Sega, or pretty much anything Capcom that doesn't get a DLC character lol.
I would love a Skies of Arcadia or Puyo Puyo stage for the music alone. Imagine being able to hear the Mean Bean Machine multiplayer VS. theme on a Puyo Puyo stage. :love:

D

Deleted member

Why not? I can understand this being the case for Sora because Disney, but I don’t think Dante has such stringent licensing circumstances
I don't have any explanations. I just feel Devil May Cry would only be in Smash if Dante was playable. Licensing doesn't have anything to do with why I see it that way.

The same can be said about 2B and Nier. I don't see Smash having a special spirit event with characters from Nier, so it's either 2B is playable or Smash skips out on her.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Special Nintendo Post for Today.

So what wacky theories have we got today? Maybe it hints towards Yooka Laylee as that game is a LOVEletter to fans of the original Banjo-Kazooie games. I’m sure others have better ideas

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The large prevalence of candy and flowers seems to suggest either Willy Wonka or Viridi for CP6.
Willy Wonka's the mastermind behind the whole pass in the first place

1 slot for him then 5 others up for grabs for which he put all the other invitations inside various Wonka Bars

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Does a franchise with only spirits/music but otherwise no stage-visually-present content like a character, stage or Mii costumes count as expanding the crossover?

Also, I too would totally take Eggman as the second Sonic character. Not sure if he'd 100% most appropriate to get in based on other series' character inclusions, but he'd at least be 80%.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dude, people don't need a "counterpoint" to voice their preferences and opinions. People like @Scoliosis Jones were just voicing how they think new franchises would benefit the game more and be cooler in their opinion because it adds to the crossover. Adding in more characters to already repped series adds nothing to the crossover, it's just more of what we already have.

I don't even share this opinion. I just don't think it was very cool of y'all to jump on people for expressing what they wanted simply because it goes against what you want. It sucks the fun out of discussion and makes it seem like everyone has to think and feel the same way, or else they're "wrong" for having a different opinion. :/
Again, not attacking the opinion, just the justification. People don't need to justify their opinions, but if they do, they should do so well.

Otherwise, backing up you opinion with false objectiveness does nothing but shut down speculation to the contrary.

MooMew64

Again, not attacking the opinion, just the justification. People don't need to justify their opinions, but if they do, they should do so well.

Otherwise, backing up you opinion with false objectiveness does nothing but shut down speculation to the contrary.
I wasn't "justifying" other peoples opinions, just expressing to you why others who want characters that are new franchises feel this way. Wasn't saying anything was objective fact either, just voicing that different people like different things.

A preference for Smash doesn't even need a justification. People can want what they want, it's a video game.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Sakurai was Willy Wonka all along.
"Five golden tickets have been sent out at random to all that decided to purchase fighter pass 2. That's right, five lucky boys and girls (but only the good ones) will have the chance to come visit me here at my Choco—er, Smash Factory and experience the magic of gaming development...."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So what wacky theories have we got today? Maybe it hints towards Yooka Laylee as that game is a LOVEletter to fans of the original Banjo-Kazooie games. I’m sure others have better ideas
You're looking too outward. You need to look inward. You need to look into your heart to find the answer.

Because your heart is your guiding key!

So there you go it's Sora. Sora is coming to Smash Bros.

Sora_KHIII_RM.png

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I feel like 2B being the square female they choose would suck. Square owns Lara Croft the single most recognizable female game character. Although a moveset may be a little hard to make she definitely should be in the game before 2B if Nintendo get another character from Square.
Yeah, it's surprising how little Lara Croft is talked about.
Screen Shot.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom