• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Sora is a unique person indeed...also that first line is on some Thanos “soul for a soul” type ****
Funnily, its how I view a lot of things when it comes to Smash.
Brawl got delayed, worth it to get Sonic in the series.
For 3DS/Wii U, before she was announced, I was willing to accept Lucina as a costume for Marth (I really wanted her, just didn't see her being added if she was likely to be a clone of Marth). Same with lack of Trophies, Music, and Spirits to have Cloud appear in the series.
And now this for Ultimate.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Funnily, its how I view a lot of things when it comes to Smash.
Brawl got delayed, worth it to get Sonic in the series.
For 3DS/Wii U, before she was announced, I was willing to accept Lucina as a costume for Marth (I really wanted her, just didn't see her being added if she was likely to be a clone of Marth). Same with lack of Trophies, Music, and Spirits to have Cloud appear in the series.
And now this for Ultimate.
this possibly means Sakurai either is...or he owns...Thanos

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If we get another Street Fighter rep, we're getting Chun-Li. Smash is literally the ONLY crossover where Ryu is playable but not her, let alone Ken. And she's probably one of the most iconic fighting game characters of all time alongside Ryu.

On the other hand, what would a Street Fighter character's hypothetical spirit board even look like? Would they dig in for more Street Fighter characters that aren't already spirits, or take from other Capcom franchises that couldn't get a rep, like how Terry's used other SNK series?
Along with what everyone else said, we don't have that many spirits from Street Fighter III and especially IV. We're missing Alex, actually, who was meant to be the main character of SF3, he's a pretty big omission. And Juri is the sole SF4 spirit.

If Chun-Li came with a Spirit Board with additional SF spirits, you can easily add player characters and bosses from Street Fighter III, IV, and V. I don't know that much about Street Fighter Alpha but I imagine some characters from there could round out a DLC spirit board as well.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Along with what everyone else said, we don't have that many spirits from Street Fighter III and especially IV. We're missing Alex, actually, who was meant to be the main character of SF3, he's a pretty big omission. And Juri is the sole SF4 spirit.

If Chun-Li came with a Spirit Board with additional SF spirits, you can easily add player characters and bosses from Street Fighter III, IV, and V. I don't know that much about Street Fighter Alpha but I imagine some characters from there could round out a DLC spirit board as well.
Give me that Skullomania Spirit Sakurai

cosmicB

Smash Ace
It makes sense in context.

Like how in the 3DS game the whole plot revolved around Sora going into a dimension called the sleeping worlds, where world's that were destroyed in earlier instalments still exist in a dream, so the people he was helping were part of that dream.

Except the Square Enix characters, those are the real deal.
Should have brought up Sleeping Realm Theory :D

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait doesn’t that help geno

And how do we know this Akuma thing is fake?
(And just because it’s 4chan is banned as answer to me simply due to not all of these are fake but almost 100% of the time they are)
It says Akuma would be the heavier version of the shotos, anyone who knows anything about how Smash works and Akuma would know Akuma's ALWAYS a glass cannon, no way is Sakurai going to ignore such a key element of Akuma.

Oh, and it says the Shotos getting buffed is to make way for Akuma which makes no goddamn sense

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
See, Akuma would be pretty sick. I wanted him in instead of Ken. Doing **** like the Demon Flip and his Air Fireballs being shot downward. But saying Akuma is a heavy shoto would be kind of dumb. He's a glass cannon in virtually every game he's in. His Smash incarnation should reflect that.

Yeah, they have Cody, but not Guy, there's also Rose for SF Alpha. Dudley, Elena, Sean, Makoto, Q, ect. ect.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
i kinda played around w/ the concepts of who I thought would fit fighter's pass 2 pretty nicely.

> Confident that they would really want to add Ring Fit Adventure (Unsure about the specific name for the fighter, could be Ring Fit Adventurer, Trainee and Ring, or like Jogger and Ring) and Geno.
+ It's a very, I guess, "Sakurai" pick. I think the character would be something a lot of "casual" fans would find fun/amusing, literally Wit Fit Trainer 2 in concept.​
+ As a fighter the character obviously wouldn't be a Wii Fit Trainer 2 in the sense that the character doesn't just do Yoga. So there are various other exercises they can work the character around to using, maybe even incorporating the fists/abs/legs that are used to attack enemies in certain attack animations. Would be a really cool thing if they made an alt that was just the regular ring-con with a leg-strap on the character.​
+ The music selection is pretty nice. For the stage, it would probably be a moving stage like Mushroomy Kingdom and 3D Land. Which could be a lot of fun too! The art direction in Ring Fit isn't exactly like anything already in Smash so it would feel very new next to every thing else.​
- Geno pretty obviously like the Sonic, Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. character that people will never stop asking for. Surely... they'll do it eventually right? lol​
+ Definitely the "Smash Shill" pick. If Geno is actually added, he's gonna be the character made for the Smash fans. Like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie before him.​
> Feeling very certain in a Pokemon because disappointment is always an eventuality, I just don't know what it could be because I don't know the Pokemon Company's plan. So I went with the new fighting type that's the Mythical in the first dlc since it probably fits in smash pretty easily.
- A lot of people would say this character could swap stances but that isn't really how the pokemon even works so it probably wouldn't, but whose to say Sakurai won't adopt that concept. He literally made up a move for Incineroar so why not.​
- It's hard to go in more detail for the character since we don't know it at like at all, but yeah I figure something like this is gonna show up.​
> The rest are just third party characters, which is a funny sentence to say "oh y'know, just third-party characters". Someone crazy, someone a bit more I guess "safe?", and someone really weird/wacky.
- Master Chief is pretty crazy. I think that would pretty Snake/Cloud levels of what?!?!​
- Crash is weird to call "safer", especially given his history as a character. I suppose in a way, you can call him "safe" because he meshes well among the roster of fighters.​
- Reimu is definitely something weird, an Indie game character getting a completely playable spot? Iunno, I think it could be something on the radar. I just feel among the other characters listed, it's gonna be a "dark horse" pick. Whether it's something like Sol, Layton, Travis, or something iunno. It's just not going to be your average gaming titan if that makes sense.​
with that out there just keep in mind that this isnt exactly who i want, though i dont think id mind these characters as long as they're implemented nicely. which they have a pretty good track record of doing so far.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's for sure fake because this guy clearly does not know how Akuma is typically portrayed in fighting games.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
i kinda played around w/ the concepts of who I thought would fit fighter's pass 2 pretty nicely.

> Confident that they would really want to add Ring Fit Adventure (Unsure about the specific name for the fighter, could be Ring Fit Adventurer, Trainee and Ring, or like Jogger and Ring) and Geno.
+ It's a very, I guess, "Sakurai" pick. I think the character would be something a lot of "casual" fans would find fun/amusing, literally Wit Fit Trainer 2 in concept.​
+ As a fighter the character obviously wouldn't be a Wii Fit Trainer 2 in the sense that the character doesn't just do Yoga. So there are various other exercises they can work the character around to using, maybe even incorporating the fists/abs/legs that are used to attack enemies in certain attack animations. Would be a really cool thing if they made an alt that was just the regular ring-con with a leg-strap on the character.​
+ The music selection is pretty nice. For the stage, it would probably be a moving stage like Mushroomy Kingdom and 3D Land. Which could be a lot of fun too! The art direction in Ring Fit isn't exactly like anything already in Smash so it would feel very new next to every thing else.​
- Geno pretty obviously like the Sonic, Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. character that people will never stop asking for. Surely... they'll do it eventually right? lol​
+ Definitely the "Smash Shill" pick. If Geno is actually added, he's gonna be the character made for the Smash fans. Like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie before him.​
> Feeling very certain in a Pokemon because disappointment is always an eventuality, I just don't know what it could be because I don't know the Pokemon Company's plan. So I went with the new fighting type that's the Mythical in the first dlc since it probably fits in smash pretty easily.
- A lot of people would say this character could swap stances but that isn't really how the pokemon even works so it probably wouldn't, but whose to say Sakurai won't adopt that concept. He literally made up a move for Incineroar so why not.​
- It's hard to go in more detail for the character since we don't know it at like at all, but yeah I figure something like this is gonna show up.​
> The rest are just third party characters, which is a funny sentence to say "oh y'know, just third-party characters". Someone crazy, someone a bit more I guess "safe?", and someone really weird/wacky.
- Master Chief is pretty crazy. I think that would pretty Snake/Cloud levels of what?!?!​
- Crash is weird to call "safer", especially given his history as a character. I suppose in a way, you can call him "safe" because he meshes well among the roster of fighters.​
- Reimu is definitely something weird, an Indie game character getting a completely playable spot? Iunno, I think it could be something on the radar. I just feel among the other characters listed, it's gonna be a "dark horse" pick. Whether it's something like Sol, Layton, Travis, or something iunno. It's just not going to be your average gaming titan if that makes sense.​
with that out there just keep in mind that this isnt exactly who i want, though i dont think id mind these characters as long as they're implemented nicely. which they have a pretty good track record of doing so far.
I think Reimu is effectively dead in the water, because she was based on fake leaks, and she is EXTREMELY obscure. Even moreso than Terry.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think Reimu is effectively dead in the water, because she was based on fake leaks, and she is EXTREMELY obscure. Even moreso than Terry.
Reimu is definitely something weird, an Indie game character getting a completely playable spot? Iunno, I think it could be something on the radar. I just feel among the other characters listed, it's gonna be a "dark horse" pick. Whether it's something like Sol, Layton, Travis, or something iunno. It's just not going to be your average gaming titan if that makes sense.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
She's an indie, and because of that she will most likely get the same treatment as Sans and Cuphead.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm not illiterate. Lol.
Reimu is a bit more than a dark horse. She is vantablack, my friend.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm not illiterate. Lol.
Reimu is a bit more than a dark horse. She is vantablack, my friend.
I don't add the character based on Leaks. I'm adding them because it's a interesting concept that I think I could potentially occur if it's on the mind. If it doesn't happen that's okay, but I try not to base the probability of it based on what people say online.

Consider this though, the character and IP is popular in the region that really matters most, Japan.
If they will spend time to explain the legacy of Banjo-Kazooie, Fatal Fury, and Fire Emblem, what would make them be against introducing people unfamiliar with the Touhou franchise too?
- - - - -
She's an indie, and because of that she will most likely get the same treatment as Sans and Cuphead.
I mean they never added a Nintendo owned character in the fighters pass until they did.

I don't think that really matters to discount the possibility of them adding a character from an Indie game as a fighter.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
The 4chan post claims the Capcom rep won't be Phoenix so I don't like it.

Oh and Akuma not being a heavy or something.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
"Dead in the water" like every other possible character. Not saying her chances are likely but her being "EXTREMELY" obscure is region dependend.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I had a dream of the full Fighter Pass and all I remember from it was Rex and Pyra being in the middle. Utterly cursed. I much preferred when I was dreaming up Marill being added (as a Pichu echo) after the K. Rool and Simon direct.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
IIRC, the doujin leak technically isn't dead, though it does have a sort of "expiration date". I think if she's not in by fighter 7, then yeah that leak would be dead in the water and if she somehow gets in after that, it would be a total coincidence.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Consider this though, the character and IP is popular in the region that really matters most, Japan.
You are using this very valid argument toward Reimu, meanwhile you are adding Master Chief in your list. Not really consistent.

Anyway, if your pass happens, I will feel robbed (or maybe I won't have bought it at first).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You are using this very valid argument toward Reimu, meanwhile you are adding Master Chief in your list. Not really consistent.

Anyway, if your pass happens, I will feel robbed (or maybe I won't have bought it at first).
Japan gets one, the West gets one too. I think that's a fair consideration.

Additionally, I'm curious as to why you would feel robbed from it. If you don't mind explaining your reasoning I'd like to hear it!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Btw another point of contention for the Akuma thing imo is "idk why they did Akuma, they just did" while also going "SPIRITS DO NOT DECONFIRM! ABSOLUTELY NOT!" with full confidence, that just tells me the person who made it reeeeaaaaaally wants a character who got spirited away and tried to use a popular character who rarely gets talked about in the context for Smash

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Additionally, I'm curious as to why you would feel robbed from it. If you don't mind explaining your reasoning I'd like to hear it!
As you wish. I explain my point of view on several of your pick in this post.

Basically, I despise the idea for two of them and have zero interest in the four others.

Pokémon is already strongly present, no thanks, but I don't expect one on this pass, there were spirits sooner.

Geno is a strong no too. It's probably partially jealousy to see such a minor character having more support than all my favorites (and, even more annoying, I believe he has an actual chance to get in) ; but i'm glad that I'm not the only one who is thinking that thanks to the previous discussion we had on the "characters we don't want".

For the four others, I have nothing against them but I have zero interest in them. Special mention to the Ring Fit character that no one asked for.

Some may answer me "can't you be happy for their fan?". But, and I'm really sorry for that, I can't. I really can't, because, of my list of around 8 favorite and feasible characters I made before the launch of the game, I got the chance to see absolutely none of them join the roster of fighters. So, I won't be able to accept a fighter pass if none of my favorite, not even one, get in. And it's even more true if Geno, the last-long-term-high-requested-character-aside-KRool-Ridley-and-Banjo-if-you-forget-Isaac, gets in and Isaac not.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
That Akuma "Leak" is literally a model I had used back when I modded Smash 4, and it's even more reminiscent of 4's lighting engine. I could probably dig it up on Gamebanana with no issues.

EDIT: LITERALLY THE FIRST IMAGE, PFFFFT

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I hated the fact that Byleth was FP5. But every time I get to play a new character, it's like a new toy and I cannot help but have fun. As I've said many times, I will literally enjoy "stickman with moveset" as long as it's unique.
That being said, I like Akuma as a character. I'm a Metalhead, and I like demon guys. But his moveset is WAAAAY too derivative of Ryu's to make him feel justified for full price.
I know I'm literally the guy that wants Echo Fighters as DLC, but I expect them to be heavily discounted. It's basically a Mii Costume, but for characters. I can't help but feel that if Byleth was in the base game and Isabelle were FP5, that people would be FAR saltier because of how derivative she is of Villager.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I hated the fact that Byleth was FP5. But every time I get to play a new character, it's like a new toy and I cannot help but have fun. As I've said many times, I will literally enjoy "stickman with moveset" as long as it's unique.
That being said, I like Akuma as a character. I'm a Metalhead, and I like demon guys. But his moveset is WAAAAY too derivative of Ryu's to make him feel justified for full price.
I know I'm literally the guy that wants Echo Fighters as DLC, but I expect them to be heavily discounted. It's basically a Mii Costume, but for characters. I can't help but feel that if Byleth was in the base game and Isabelle were FP5, that people would be FAR saltier because of how derivative she is of Villager.
People were already pissed at Isabelle as she appealed to casuals and casuals had Inkling so they weren't allowed anything else according to super hardcore dumbasses. For real, we got Ridley, Belmont and K.Rool in a row and then they screamed because Isabelle wasn't a decade old request from a franchise that isn't doing too hot for whatever reason, but rather the most popular character from an IP that regularly sells better than Smasj

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
People were already pissed at Isabelle as she appealed to casuals and casuals had Inkling so they weren't allowed anything else according to super hardcore dumbasses. For real, we got Ridley, Belmont and K.Rool in a row and then they screamed because Isabelle wasn't a decade old request from a franchise that isn't doing too hot for whatever reason, but rather the most popular character from an IP that regularly sells better than Smasj
But I mean like paying for her specifically. We were gonna pay $60 for the base roster no matter how many characters it got.
DLC is $5 per character if bought in a Pass or $6 if bought individually.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Not outright fake yet, moreso they just haven't been fruitful yet but have a set expiration date (if it's not one of the next two it's most likely fake). The idea that it was already fully deconfirmed is a misconception that went around Smash fans who didn't want her in.
Also she's "obscure" in a region that matters way more to Nintendo's picks than Terry's, and is top 5 (possibly even top 3) most well known series there, up there with Dragon Quest.

I had a dream of the full Fighter Pass and all I remember from it was Rex and Pyra being in the middle. Utterly cursed. I much preferred when I was dreaming up Marill being added (as a Pichu echo) after the K. Rool and Simon direct.
Slightly off-topic but I never get why people think Pokemon with more round proportions like Dedenne or Marill would ever work as Pichu's echo. I highly doubt they'd have the same model boneset at all. I kept seeing people put Dedenne as Pichu's echo on Twitter but the way I see it most of their normals wouldn't even work (and don't give me the Ken argument, they had to go through extra hoops just to get Ken's rights so of course they'd hype him up more than other echoes).

Pokémon is already strongly present, no thanks, but I don't expect one on this pass, there were spirits sooner.

Geno is a strong no too. It's probably partially jealousy to see such a minor character having more support than all my favorites (and, even more annoying, I believe he has an actual chance to get in) ; but i'm glad that I'm not the only one who is thinking that thanks to the previous discussion we had on the "characters we don't want".
Can agree that I don't think Pokemon will get anything at all this Pass (short of maybe an extra clone thrown in someone else's pack because demand), and can even technically second the feeling that SwSh doesn't really need anything there.
I'd like to see that "characters we don't want" thread though. Might throw my hat in there.

Huge disagree on Pokemon, for a few reasons:
- Sakurai technically asks TPCi first instead of the other way around, much unlike how Corrin was pushed by Intelligent Systems themselves back in 4. No reason to believe TPCi would ask Nintendo to be further promoted in Smash when the games sell comfortably and so will the DLC anyways, and no reason for Nintendo to really ask either considering Pokemon has far less coherent demand Smash-wise so they have no reason to ask.
- Sword/Shield got a spirit event during Fighter's Pass 1. If they wanted to represent those games with a fighter at all they would've kept those for the 'mon's spirit board.
- Not only that, but afaik the decision for SwSh DLC happened after FP2 was already decided (though I may be mistaken there, for time is not my forte)
- There are other ways to "disappoint" people in general than another Pokemon.
- It'll be a pretty long while before they even start the plans for the next main game, as they also have remakes to focus on games-wise and SwSh's own anime is still debuting afaik, so if it's not SwSh odds are it's nothing Pokemon related at all during the whole pass

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Lmao can you imagine the salt mines here that Rex and Pyra are the spirit upgrade and not Geno, Shunate or Rayman
Wasn't Rex a decently popular request before release? I can't imagine there being much salt, he's the protagonist of a successful new game from a series that doesn't have much representation yet.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Not outright fake yet, moreso they just haven't been fruitful yet but have a set expiration date (if it's not one of the next two it's most likely fake). The idea that it was already fully deconfirmed is a misconception that went around Smash fans who didn't want her in.
Also she's "obscure" in a region that matters way more to Nintendo's picks than Terry's, and is top 5 (possibly even top 3) most well known series there, up there with Dragon Quest.

Slightly off-topic but I never get why people think Pokemon with more round proportions like Dedenne or Marill would ever work as Pichu's echo. I highly doubt they'd have the same model boneset at all. I kept seeing people put Dedenne as Pichu's echo on Twitter but the way I see it most of their normals wouldn't even work (and don't give me the Ken argument, they had to go through extra hoops just to get Ken's rights so of course they'd hype him up more than other echoes).

Can agree that I don't think Pokemon will get anything at all this Pass (short of maybe an extra clone thrown in someone else's pack because demand), and can even technically second the feeling that SwSh doesn't really need anything there.
I'd like to see that "characters we don't want" thread though. Might throw my hat in there.

Huge disagree on Pokemon, for a few reasons:
- Sakurai technically asks TPCi first instead of the other way around, much unlike how Corrin was pushed by Intelligent Systems themselves back in 4. No reason to believe TPCi would ask Nintendo to be further promoted in Smash when the games sell comfortably and so will the DLC anyways, and no reason for Nintendo to really ask either considering Pokemon has far less coherent demand Smash-wise so they have no reason to ask.
- Sword/Shield got a spirit event during Fighter's Pass 1. If they wanted to represent those games with a fighter at all they would've kept those for the 'mon's spirit board.
- Not only that, but afaik the decision for SwSh DLC happened after FP2 was already decided (though I may be mistaken there, for time is not my forte)
- There are other ways to "disappoint" people in general than another Pokemon.
- It'll be a pretty long while before they even start the plans for the next main game, as they also have remakes to focus on games-wise and SwSh's own anime is still debuting afaik, so if it's not SwSh odds are it's nothing Pokemon related at all during the whole pass
The sword and shield dlc looks fairly complete in trailers and that suggests this has probably been worked on well before fp2 which still gives urshifu or someone else a leg up

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Okay so I’ve gotten the entirety of Vol. 2. I got my vol. 1 characters individually (which I know was stupid) so once I get Byleth I’ll have a complete roster- I love having something complete, it’s the best feeling

Night Gale

Smash Ace
The Akuma thing is obviously bulls*** but they should have made the stage Kousyu Street to make it more entertaining at least.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Assuming the next event will be a FE Online Tourney... that would make the next Spirit event happen around two weeks from now, right? Considering the extended amount of time in character development, the Spirit events will probably be what shifts speculation around the most.

I still think the Kunio Spirits point to an Arcsys rep. It's just a really odd choice compared to the other third party Spirits:

- Tecmo has Fatal Frame, but if I'm not mistaken, the Spirits are from two games that were co-developed with Nintendo.
- Marvelous is in a similar situation with Daemon X Machina.
- The Tetris Company doesn't have anything besides... well, Tetris. So it's not like they could get anything else in Ultimate besides that.
- Capcom got RE, but they already had two series with playable characters before.

Meanwhile, all Arcsys gets is a bunch of Kunio Spirits? I get it: River City is influential in Beat-'em-ups, which later inspired the fighting game genre itself, and it had a lot of its history in Nintendo consoles. But it didn't even belong to Arcsys originally. It's like if Sega's only content in Smash was some Puyo Puyo or Persona Spirits or Bethesda only had some Doom Spirits.

"But then why wouldn't Kunio content come with the Arcsys rep?" Well, because it's an aquired property. We didn't get Persona content with Sonic back in Brawl. Terry got Spirits from other series, but they all belonged to SNK.

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
Wasn't Rex a decently popular request before release? I can't imagine there being much salt, he's the protagonist of a successful new game from a series that doesn't have much representation yet.
Xenoblade 2 bad

Likes to the right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom