• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I could see Yakuza maybe getting in but I think you're forgetting Puyo puyo. It's bigger than Yakuza in sales and have a bigger history, and it's more closely affiliated with Nintendo.
I think that Yakuza will likely get in over Puyo Puyo.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
If Street Fighter (or a different third party series) had as many characters as the Super Mario (8 characters and 1 Echo Fighter), Pokémon (10 characters), or Fire Emblem (6 characters and 2 echo fighters) series, who would you pick and why?
Ooh this is a fun one

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma
Chun
Alex
Zangief
Rashid
M. Bison

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If Street Fighter (or a different third party series) had as many characters as the Super Mario (8 characters and 1 Echo Fighter), Pokémon (10 characters), or Fire Emblem (6 characters and 2 echo fighters) series, who would you pick and why?

For Street Fighter, I'd go with what Fire Emblem's got:
Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

This covers the big names of the series, adds some important characters, and throws in a completely unique character just for fun. I didn't add Sakura or Segat because I felt that since Ryu, Ken, and Akuma all have the same moveset it would be imperative that the rest of the characters don't even remotely resemble the shotos to avoid "most of the characters are just Ryu" complaints.
I choose Final fantasy, because how big the franchise is and with every game having a different protagonist, there's just that much potential. Based on Super Mario (8 original and 1 echo).
-Cloud Strife (FF 7)
-Zack Fair (Cloud echo) (FF 7)
Sephiroth (FF 7)
-Black mage (FF)
-Terra Branford (FF 6)
-Cactuar (FF 6)
-Tidus (FF 10)
-Lighning (FF 13)
-Noctis Lucis Caelum (FF 15)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I choose Final fantasy, because how big the franchise is and with every game having a different protagonist, there's just that much potential. Based on Super Mario (8 original and 1 echo).
-Cloud Strife (FF 7)
-Zack Fair (Cloud echo) (FF 7)
Sephiroth (FF 7)
-Black mage (FF)
-Terra Branford (FF 6)
-Cactuar (FF 6)
-Tidus (FF 10)
-Lighning (FF 13)
-Noctis Lucis Caelum (FF 15)
Any scenario in which I can play as a Cactuar is the best timeline. Also Black Mage. Black Mage is cool.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
I really would hate if they added another Pokemon after Incineroar. I think they missed the shot for having the fire water grass trio with picking Incineroar over Decidueye. But I wanted Incineroar more than him anyways honestly
I want Pokemon, but rather than it being constantly latest I want the missing (or at this point any) past generations to get some of that love too. It's become tiring how expectable they've been recently, so at this point imo the older ones would actually be more of a curveball than anything very recent.

I think if we got another sega rep the most likely picks would be another Sonic character (because of course sega would want that). Or a Yazuka rep. I'm not really sure how it would work, but Yakuza is giant in Japan, and it gets to the top of the sales on the charts easily. It's the last franchise I could see Sega adding besides like, Valkyria Chronicles? Everything else they have it pretty dead sadly, no Jet Set radio character T-T. But even then having a character like Kiryu would be mad difficult, I can't really even come up with a recovery for him. Would be fun to at least have a stage though.
Puyo Puyo and Sakura Wars, that is all. I don't know much about Sega in general but I've heard enough to say that both have returned to an active state and are likely being just as pushed, and if Bayonetta is any indication then Sega getting a series pushed rather than getting a well-doing franchise repped is not out of the question (in which case Yakuza would be the other way, more of a Joker situation).

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Would a Bravely Default character work? I'd say Octopath, but Bravely has a bit more time on its belt. I haven't played much of the games themselves, but I think they revolve around class changes? How would that work in a moveset?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

This covers the big names of the series, adds some important characters, and throws in a completely unique character just for fun. I didn't add Sakura or Segat because I felt that since Ryu, Ken, and Akuma all have the same moveset it would be imperative that the rest of the characters don't even remotely resemble the shotos to avoid "most of the characters are just Ryu" complaints.
For SNK:
  • Terry
  • Kyo
  • Iori
  • Mai (yeah yeah I know)
  • Athena
  • Geese
  • K'
  • Haohmaru
  • Nakoruru
  • Marco Rossi (and the other Metal Slug characters as alts)
Essentially all the big names/popular characters. Ryo was an honorable mention but he'd be way too similar to Ryu. If Mai can't work then swap her with Rugal.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think if we got another sega rep the most likely picks would be another Sonic character (because of course sega would want that). Or a Yazuka rep. I'm not really sure how it would work, but Yakuza is giant in Japan, and it gets to the top of the sales on the charts easily. It's the last franchise I could see Sega adding besides like, Valkyria Chronicles? Everything else they have it pretty dead sadly, no Jet Set radio character T-T. But even then having a character like Kiryu would be mad difficult, I can't really even come up with a recovery for him. Would be fun to at least have a stage though.
Just some advice, don't make 2 posts in a row, either edit the first post or wait until someone else posts in the mean time
I could see Yakuza maybe getting in but I think you're forgetting Puyo puyo. It's bigger than Yakuza in sales and have a bigger history, and it's more closely affiliated with Nintendo.
Tbf we got Mega Man before Ryu, Banjo before Master Chief or Steve and as Smash has kept showing, Nintendo ties aren't nearly as important as they used to be

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

This is fun. I like your list a lot, but I think I'd use Juri instead of Menat. She's one of the most popular 4/V characters easily, as cool as Menat is. Her staying power is enough to put her into pretty much any SF crossover (and, no, I don't think she'd fall victim to the Mai curse).

If we get to go a little crazier I'd love to see Poison and Hugo as a duo in place of Guile just because I love them, but I know that's super unlikely even if Poison is a fan favorite.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Just some advice, don't make 2 posts in a row, either edit the first post or wait until someone else posts in the mean time

Tbf we got Mega Man before Ryu, Banjo before Master Chief or Steve and as Smash has kept showing, Nintendo ties aren't nearly as important as they used to be
I messed up my post to the guy asking for the 8 reps from a certain franchise one, so that's sorta why I had an extra post, sorry!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Well Mega man got way more support than Ryu in Smash in the Brawl time and Banjo got way more support than Chief and Steve. Arle also have way more support than Kazuma so I could see her being choose based on that (although support never means everything, it can help).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

In before anyone else does Sonic.

1) Sonic
2) Tails € (different Up+B)
3) Shadow € (different Up+B and Side+B)
4) Dr.Eggman
5) Amy
6) Knuckles
7) Metal Sonic
8) Mighty & Ray (combo team, promote Mania+)

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

I'd go the Fire Emblem route too:
Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Sakura (Σ)
Chun-Li
M.Bison
Zangief
Ibuki
Juri

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Mega Man:
1 - Megaman
1e -Protoman
2 - Roll
3 - Bass
4 - X
5 - Zero
6 - Vile
7 - Sigma
8 - Tron Bonne
Boss - Wily Machine 8

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

I'd do FF a bit differently:

Sephiroth
Black Mage (FFI / FFIII) / Vivi (FFIX)
Cecil (FFIV)
Terra (FFVI)
Kefka (FFVI)
Yuna (FFX) - choosing her over Tidus due to summoning magic mainly.
Lightning (FFXIII Series)
Noctis (FFXV)
Gilgamesh (FFV etc.)

So that brings FF to Pokemon levels.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

Sonic, going the Super Mario route:
- Sonic
- Shadow (e)
- Knuckles
- Tails
- Amy
- Eggman
- Rouge
- ... Big the Cat Blaze

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Mega Man is my favorite 3rd party series, so if I was allowed to go ham with it I would be so happy. I'll give it Super Mario's number of characters (8 unique, 1 echo):
Mega Man
Proto Man (Σ)
Bass
X
Zero
Sigma
Dr. Wily
Roll
Pharaoh Man

It's got all of the main characters of the Mega Man and Mega Man X series, and Pharaoh Man because why not. (I'd probably add Tron or Vile instead of Pharaoh Man if I were to be objective about it.) Bass's moveset would be based off of his boss battles instead of his playable appearances (though he'd still have the Bass Buster as his Neutral Special or something). Pharaoh Man's Final Smash would be the mighty Pharaoh punch!

This is fun. I like your list a lot, but I think I'd use Juri instead of Menat. She's one of the most popular 4/V characters easily, as cool as Menat is. Her staying power is enough to put her into pretty much any SF crossover (and, no, I don't think she'd fall victim to the Mai curse).
I don't play Street Fighter games and Juri's not my cup of tea so she didn't cross my mind, but she'd probably be the objectively best pick from the newer titles now that you mention her. (Also she's got pants so she's fine.)

- ... Big the Cat. Yes.
- ... Big the Cat Blaze
Nuhno. You be proud of your pick! Big the Cat is the best Sonic candidate for Smash. They just don't see it yet.

Last edited:

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Sonic, going the Super Mario route:
- Sonic
- Shadow (e)
- Knuckles
- Tails
- Amy
- Eggman
- Rouge
- ... Big the Cat Blaze
I'd take anything but Blaze. Don't want my sis to be even more of a pain than she already is.
Silver would be more interesting to see imo but I guess the 06 stigma might be too big there.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
The only thing that makes me think Pokémon might not be in pass#2 is because Sakurai said how TPC are the hardest party to work with (much worse than any 3rd party). Don’t remember what interview that was from though.

And also, no Pokémon has ever been DLC except for Mewtwo only he 1) Might have been meant for base roster like PP, and 2) Was a veteran character. (And 3) Huge demand for him to return?)
I don’t recall Sakurai saying the Pokemon Company was the hardest to work with and I don’t think that’s the sort of thing Sakurai would say or even reveal. From interviews it seems Sakurai just picks out the Pokemon he wants and they let him have it with rare cases like Greninja happening where they just let him have concept art to make a moveset before it’s known to the public. And more recently with the exception of gen one they only add Pokemon from the most recent gen which would explain the lack of a dlc Pokemon for smash 4 as the most recent gen out at the time was 6 and we had already got greninja. It depends if Sakurai views Pokemon as highly as he does during base game during this dlc to a large enough extent that it makes him want to add one

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

The King of Fighters, with FE's numbers:

Terry
Rock
Kyo
Kusanagi (Σ)
Iori
Ralf
Clark (Σ)
K'

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

Wanted to make a new one because my first was just Street Fighter.

Persona/SMT:
Joker (Persona 5)
Goro Akechi (Echo)
Itsuki (Tokyo Mirrage Sessions) Stage - Shibuya
Yu Narukami (Persona 4) - Back Side Of The TV/June's
Makoto/Femc (Persona 3: FES) Tartarus
Jack Frost (Everything lol) Velvet Room
Flynn (Shin Megami Tensei IV) Devil's Colosseum
Shin Megami Tensei 5 Protag whenever that comes out

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Boss - Wily Machine 8
Wily Machine 8 would be a really cool boss so long as the second phase doesn't last all that long (it's not particularly interesting and would be incredibly frustrating for Little Mac and the slow characters). If we couldn't have that with Dr. Wily playable, then I'd pick the Wily Teleport System; a boss rush that pits your character against eight of the series's most popular Robot Masters and/or Mavericks, with each perhaps giving you an item that does more damage against certain bosses.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

Castlevania, going the FE route

Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont (E)
Trevor Belmont (E)
Dracula
Alucard
Maria Renard
Soma Cruz
Shanoa

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Would a Bravely Default character work? I'd say Octopath, but Bravely has a bit more time on its belt. I haven't played much of the games themselves, but I think they revolve around class changes? How would that work in a moveset?
I think a lot of people envision a stance change moveset: kinda like Pokemon Trainer's down b. However, I don't think that's too likely, since that is not only a huge amount of work, especially for a dlc fighter, but it also makes for an inelegant moveset imo. The most I could see come from this moveset concept of class change is being able to swap special moves.

My alternate concept revolves around the game's namesake: the Brave/Default system. In the BD games, you can Default, which sacrifices a turn but doubles your defenses and stores that turn for later, then Brave taking multiple actions in one turn. Or you could Brave right away, but leave yourself vulnerable for as many turns as you braved. And there are some high powered moves that require Braving to preform.

In smash, I think this would manifest as Default assigned to down special, which could power up your other specials for later. but pressing and holding b powers up the special anyway though it leaves you extremely vulnerable. Think Focus Attack plus Limit Break (so, Rebels Guard I guess...) but the buffs are more focused and can be stacked. I realize meters and resource management mechanics have become a trope of Smash dlc, but I think Brave/Default can be made distinct.

Now, if you want to go crazy, you could have it so Braving allow you to cancel normals into specials, but on what would likely otherwise be a highly mobile swordfighter that may be too much.

Thinking on it, Byleth and Hero kinda stole a BD rep's potential thunder. I mean, since the class system in BD is so open, I always pictured Tiz or Edea having a moveset that drew ideas from all over the place, incorporating a variety of weapons and spells. Now, Byleth covers the "weapon's master" archetype well enough, and Hero the "magic swordsman." I guess Sakurai was able to differentiate Hero and Robin enough: they have very different normals, and feel very different to play. Even so, they are quite similar in broad strokes, with a Wind up b, a swaped Fire and Electric attack for neutral and side b, and a utility down b. There's definitely still room to make a BD character work, but it would take some creative thinking for them not to come off as stale.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
- ... Big the Cat Blaze
Just wait until a Sonic Adventure remake is confirmed and gets a promotional character in Smash. I can hear already hear him shouting "Froggyyyy!" as he jumps straight to top tier. And he's still a better meme pick than Waluigi.

Castlevania, going the FE route

Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont (E)
Trevor Belmont (E)
Dracula
Alucard
Maria Renard
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
Ahhh I was literally working on a Castlevania list right now! Haha, good work, though. Mine was actually identical aside from having Sypha over Dracula since he's a boss.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I know most people don't care about spirits, but I wish that nearly all series featured in Smash can get one spirit. The series that got included through Mii Costumes should get a spirit too, but I can see why they didn't want to lock spirit list completion behind a DLC paywall.

Goemon, sans, Altaïr, and Cuphead should all get a spirit and a spirit battle. Maybe they could have a "miscellaneous spirit event" that adds them in, but it's probably pretty doubtful.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know most people don't care about spirits, but I'm kind of wished that nearly all series featured in Smash can get one spirit. The series that got included through Mii Costumes should get a spirit too, but I can see why they didn't want to lock spirit list completion behind a DLC paywall.

Goemon, sans, Altaïr, and Cuphead should all get a spirit and a spirit battle. Maybe they could have a "miscellaneous spirit event" that adds them in, but it's probably pretty doubtful.
I mean, they gate off spirits through timed events meaning you can't even spend money for it. I'm still mad I missed out on the Kunio stuff due to my eye injury

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wily Machine 8 would be a really cool boss so long as the second phase doesn't last all that long
WM8 is just it's appearance. It's attack pattern would be a grab bag of attacks from all the WMs.

Completely agree. It's weird have those characters in the game and not have Spirits.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

I'm gonna go the extra mile with this one and try to do this with multiple third party series. Granted, I don't really know enough about every series to give a super in-depth response, but here's what I thought.
Sonic:
Sonic
Shadow (Echo)
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
Metal Sonic
Blaze
Silver
Dr. Eggman

Mega Man:
Mega Man
Proto Man (Echo)
Dr. Wily
Mega Man X
Zero
Sigma
Mega Man Volnutt
Tron Bonne
MegaMan.EXE
Bass.EXE

Street Fighter:
Ryu
Ken (Echo)
Akuma (Echo)
Chun Li
Zangief
Alex
Juri
Rashid

Final Fantasy:
Cloud
Zack (Echo)
Sephiroth
Terra
Cecil
Bartz
Squall
Black Mage
Noctis

Castlevania:
Simon
Richter (echo)
Sypha Belnades
Alucard
Maria
Eric Lecarde
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
Dracula

Dragon Quest:
Hero
Heroine (echo, consists of Femdrick, Sophia, Anlucia, and Teresa)
Slime
Alena
Madason
Bianca
Terry
Jessica
Erik

Doing two for Terry, one based solely on Fatal Fury, one based on King of Fighters.
Fatal Fury:
Terry
Alice (echo, although this might be a bit of a stretch)
Andy
Joe
Mai (assuming no issues with her appearance)
Blue Mary
Billy Kane
Geese
Rock

King of Fighters:
Terry
Mai
Kyo
K' (echo)
Iori
Athena
Ryo
Nakoruru
Geese

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
I don’t recall Sakurai saying the Pokemon Company was the hardest to work with and I don’t think that’s the sort of thing Sakurai would say or even reveal. From interviews it seems Sakurai just picks out the Pokemon he wants and they let him have it with rare cases like Greninja happening where they just let him have concept art to make a moveset before it’s known to the public. And more recently with the exception of gen one they only add Pokemon from the most recent gen which would explain the lack of a dlc Pokemon for smash 4 as the most recent gen out at the time was 6 and we had already got greninja. It depends if Sakurai views Pokemon as highly as he does during base game during this dlc to a large enough extent that it makes him want to add one
In an interview he says he's the one that usually approaches them to ask what's the hot new Pokemon that can be added, which by itself means the focus is already biased towards current latest (movies included) on the Smash side. Don't think that says it's hard to work with them but it at least says they're somehow not considering past 'mons (barring movie tie-ins like Mewtwo, even though imo they really should, as between missing mainstays and the demand for a rep for the missing gens there's a lot of unique choices they're overlooking there) unless none of the new 'mons fit what they ask for at all (which is VERY unlikely as it is still a massive amount of possible picks at the end of the day, plus starter final evos are now pretty much always safe enough to work with).
That's Pokemon's current situation afaik. It's also probable they always HAVE to have a new 'mon every base Smash game just to keep the IP in the game at all, but there's no definitive evidence of that aside from the repeat shilling since Melee.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
although this might be a bit of a stretch
I don't know if it's her moveset that makes Alice being an echo a stretch, or her only FF appearances being in pachinko games.

Also Kim should go into that Fatal Fury list.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't think another Pokemon rep might appear for DLC. Then again, we could be wrong with Sakurai's history with newcomers

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Ryu
Ken (Σ)
Akuma (Σ)
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Guile
Zangief
Menat

Street Fighter:
Ryu
Ken (e)
Chun-Li
Cammy
Sakura
Akuma (e)
Guile
M. Bison

Megaman:
Megaman
Protoman (e)
Roll
Zero
Tron Bonne
Bass (e)
Megaman X
Vent/Aile

Final Fantasy:
Cloud
Tifa
Terra
Cecil
Tidus
Yuna
Zack Fair (e)
Lightning
Noctis

Sonic:
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
Eggman
Shadow
Silver
Blaze
Metal Sonic (e)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Did you already have any Tetris spirits by then? I heard they only come back if you played them at least once
I just got one today, and I missed the Tetris event completely, so it does seem like they eventually reappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom