• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Sure has been a while since I posted here, so I made another one of those “pick a timeline” so...

Pick a timeline!View attachment 255626View attachment 255627View attachment 255628View attachment 255629
Ouch, this is pretty brutal for me.

If I stomach Sora in the first timeline, that means that Rex, Dante, and Byleth make it for post-pass, but if I were to go with the third option, I'd get Doom Slayer as FP5, plus Geno and Shantae for post-pass...

As much as I want Shantae and would be totally down for Doom Slayer and Geno in Smash, I think that I'll cast my vote for the first route.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
That "Which character would make you mad?" question also made me think about the opposite version: is there any one character they could put in for DLC that would make you infinitely happy and not even care about who else got in afterwards? Enough so that you would basically stop speculating and just buy them all regardless? Or has Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry been that character for anyone?

And as a tangent to that, what if that character got in, but you royally sucked with them? Like they were Brawl Ganondorf low tier trash or Brawl Meta Knight broken, or maybe have a really obnoxious gimmick. What then?
Any Touhou pick, honestly. An inclusion which would border on being a miracle in itself, as I deem the chances to be very low, even if a potential third figher pass would be announced in the future.

Even if the character doesn't fit my playstyle or gets the shaft royaly and defines the term "F-Tier" anew, I would still main her. Might even pick the game up competitively, even with the piss poor online. What can I say? I'm a zealous fan with an irrational love for the series.

Then again, I will buy those fighter passes anyway.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Here's a fun little game: name five of your most wanted, along with who you think would be their boss fight in Classic Mode.
  1. Dante -> Ganon
  2. Officer Howard -> Galleom
  3. Captain Syrup -> Marx
  4. Monster Hunter -> Giga Bowser
  5. Phoenix Wright -> Dracula

1. Prince of All Cosmos - Marx (The Classic mode I designed for him has a theme of going larger and larger in scale as it progresses, eventually reaching space. Marx is a cartoony boss fought in space, so I feel he fit most).

2. Dragonborn - Rathalos (Giant dragon, speaks for itself!)

3. Crash Bandicoot - Galleom (To represent a Cortex or N. Gin mech)

4. Quote - Dracula (Has attacks that resemble The Doctor and Ballos)

5. Louie - Crazy Hand (He'd likely be an echo of Olimar so they'd have similar final bosses. Crazy Hand instead of Olimar's Master Hand to represent their relationship as partners and coworkers, along with Louie's impulsive nature).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That "Which character would make you mad?" question also made me think about the opposite version: is there any one character they could put in for DLC that would make you infinitely happy and not even care about who else got in afterwards? Enough so that you would basically stop speculating and just buy them all regardless? Or has Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry been that character for anyone?

And as a tangent to that, what if that character got in, but you royally sucked with them? Like they were Brawl Ganondorf low tier trash or Brawl Meta Knight broken, or maybe have a really obnoxious gimmick. What then?

For me, it's Dovahkiin (I'm sure everyone on this forum is shocked...). But as to the other point, I'd still be so stoked that I wouldn't care. I normally dislike gimmicky characters, but that's because I don't like the character enough to learn the gimmick. If they gave me a super gimmicky Dragonborn, I'd work my *** off to git gud and learn it. In terms of playstyle, I tend to go for the heavier melee users anyway, so I'd probably be fine. I doubt they'd give me a speedster, but even if they did, I'd practice my *** off just to be able to see my dreams come true.
I don't have a character like that. Just because I got pandered to doesn't mean I stop judging the game, for better or worse. If a character shows up that I feel hurts the quality of the game, the fact that I got a character I like doesn't change that fact.

It helps that I don't really have a most wanted, just tons of characters I want.
Sure has been a while since I posted here, so I made another one of those “pick a timeline” so...

Pick a timeline!View attachment 255626View attachment 255627View attachment 255628View attachment 255629
Can't tell who the girl besides Agumon is, but Agumon, Klonoa and Monokuma are pretty poor choices imo, so Imma go with timeline two or three (I'd love to see most other characters there, and I'm fine with Shantae and Rayman, so those are still pretty great lineups).

I also appreciate that most timelines have AT promotions.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here's a fun little game: name five of your most wanted, along with who you think would be their boss fight in Classic Mode.
  1. Dante -> Ganon
  3. Captain Syrup -> Marx
1. Cortez -> Galleom (References the fight against Jacob Crow, the antagonist of TimeSplitters Future Perfect in his Splitter crow form. He looks like this.
Splitter Crow small.png

2. Axel Stone -> Dracula (Mr. X and Dracula both have similar beginning animations)
3. Crono -> Purple Arusu and Giga Bowser (Magus and Lavos respectively)
4. Sir Daniel Fortesque -> Rathalos (A reference to his final battle against Zarok where he drinks a potion to turn into that weird Dragon)
5. Tomba -> Have to go with Master Hand and Crazy Hand because Porky isn't a boss... :^(

Is there any one character they could put in for DLC that would make you infinitely happy and not even care about who else got in afterwards? Enough so that you would basically stop speculating and just buy them all regardless? Or has Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry been that character for anyone?

I thought Banjo & Kazooie would be those characters but then I remembered about TimeSplitters and despite how little of a chance he has of getting in, I decided to support Sgt. Cortez! So I'm still in this wild ride and I won't get off until Smash Ultimate's DLC ends.

Sure has been a while since I posted here, so I made another one of those “pick a timeline”
Outcome 1
Okay: Sora, Sol Badguy, Dante
Meh: Rex & Pyra, Agumon, Arle Nadja, Bandanna Dee, Byleth

Outcome 2
Okay: Crash Bandicoot, Isaac, Ryu Hayabusa
Meh: Heihachi, Krystal, Waluigi, Rayman, Conker

Outcome 3
Okay: Doom Guy. Geno, Shadow
Meh: Lloyd Irving, Professor Layton, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Spring Man

Outcome 4
Okay: Phoenix Wright, Klonoa, Dr. Robotnik
Meh: Ragna the Bloodedge, Akira Howard, Porky, Monokuma, Bomberman

Gosh, remembering TimeSplitters and Cortez has really lowered my hype for Doom Guy now. I guess I'll go for outcome 3 because I'd appreciate Doom Guy and Geno more than the others.

Oh sweet. I've talked about Cortez three times in a row for each quote. This miracle deserves a Cortez gif!

Cortez-come-back.gif

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

For me, it's Dovahkiin (I'm sure everyone on this forum is shocked...). But as to the other point, I'd still be so stoked that I wouldn't care. I normally dislike gimmicky characters, but that's because I don't like the character enough to learn the gimmick. If they gave me a super gimmicky Dragonborn, I'd work my *** off to git gud and learn it. In terms of playstyle, I tend to go for the heavier melee users anyway, so I'd probably be fine. I doubt they'd give me a speedster, but even if they did, I'd practice my *** off just to be able to see my dreams come true.
Amaterasu for me, surprised? If she got in everything else would be delicious icing on the cake. Especially If they managed to give her most of her quirks and skills from her game.

I love timeline 1 for Sora, Rex and Pyra, but timeline 3 has Shantae. But in the end I'll have to pick timeline 1

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Well the only things I have to look forward to on Saturday are the Wild Card games even though my team isn't playing (Ravens got the 1st round bye) so hopefully something interesting happens (that isn't related to me hoping the Titans kick New England's ass)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Was Arusu one of the names of the scrapped Gen 1 Pokémon? I know you're probably referring to Marx or Dharkon by their Jappanese name, but I swear I've heard the name "Arusu" before outside of the context of Smash.
It's the name Sakurai gave to the DQIII Hero.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's the name Sakurai gave to the DQIII Hero.
Specifically, it comes from an old audio drama CD. Erdrick was always a title, they themselves don't really have an official name, so in that specific sense they're usually called Three.

Sakurai calling Three "Arusu" makes me think that, if the Dragon Quest V protagonist ever became playable, they'd be called "Abel" rather than their canon name, Madason (if you don't pick a name for the Dragon Quest V protagonist, Madason is what the game defaults to like how selecting "Don't care" in EarthBound names the protagonist "Ness"), or Five, because Abel also comes from an audio drama CD.

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I don't want that, because that's basically make them the same as Bill Rizer, who I ALSO want to be playable.

Giving them the tank makes them unique.

Or just have them be visible, like in that Fio image.
Oops sorry, I didn't read your first message. That's understandable!
I still think they would be better as I said before, but it's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well the only things I have to look forward to on Saturday are the Wild Card games even though my team isn't playing (Ravens got the 1st round bye) so hopefully something interesting happens (that isn't related to me hoping the Titans kick New England's ass)
As someone who's not from the US, this post is honestly completely undecipherable.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

Timeline 1 has two characters I'm against seeing, Byleth and Rex, but my want for Bandana Dee outweighs that. Pretty neutral on the rest.
Timeline 2 has three characters I'd like, one of them being in my top 3 most wanted, Crash, Waluigi and Rayman. The others would also be neat, tho I'm not much of a fan of Conker.
Timeline 3 has no characters that would really excite me and I actively don't want half of them. Those being Geno, Shadow, Shantae and Springman.
Timeline 4 has based Eggman and Akira's pretty cool too. Don't really care about the rest

Timeline 1>Timeline 2>Timeline 4>>>Timeline 3

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Specifically, it comes from an old audio drama CD. Erdrick was always a title, they themselves don't really have an official name, so in that specific sense they're usually called Three.

Sakurai calling Three "Arusu" makes me think that, if the Dragon Quest V protagonist ever became playable, they'd be called "Abel" rather than their canon name, Madason (if you don't pick a name for the Dragon Quest V protagonist, Madason is what the game defaults to like how selecting "Don't care" in EarthBound names the protagonist "Ness"), or Five, because Abel also comes from an audio drama CD.
Ackshually Madason is the name the hero's dad suggests after you name him. He has a unique line where he suggests Erdrick if you manually name him Madason.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
  1. Dante -> Ganon
  3. Captain Syrup -> Marx
Sonia - Rathalos
Ratchet & Clank - Galleom
Filia - Dracula (trust me, it works on many levels.)
Angry Bird - Ganon
Dixie Kong - K. Rool, and Diddy would be your teammate

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Hmmm, definitely Phoenix. Not only do I get him (one of my most-wanted third parties) I also get Akira Howard (one of my most-wanted first parties) along with an old school want in Bomberman, one of my favorite villains in Robotnik, and some other interesting picks. Ragna is kinda lame but BlazBlue has beautiful stages and great music and I'm slowly giving BlazBlue another shot so even he would be fine. All in all, a good timeline.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
  1. Sora: Dharkon would be perfect, but I know it's not happening, so Ganon is my choice.
  2. 2B: Easy-peasy: she fights machine lifeforms, Galleom is a machine. Case closed.
  3. Phoenix Wright: I'd say Dracula, because Von Karma, but since I'm aiming to not repeat bosses in this list, I'm gonna go with Hands. Why? Because...
  4. Arle: Dracula representing Satan/Dark Prince is way too good to pass up.
  5. Ahri: This one was a bit tricky, but in the end I think Rathalos would be a good compromise for the Elemental Drakes in League of Legends.

Banjo and Kazooie were the ones to make me "not care" - I still have some wants, of course, but as far as the Pass goes I'm more than satisfied. The bear and bird were my prime wish coming into Ultimate and right now the only character that would gain a similar... excessive reaction from me during the reveal trailer would be Sora.

While I'm not maining them as a competitive player (they're more of a secondary rn), I still play them a lot at the end of the day. Don't care what tier they're in, just trying to make the most out of the duo.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

If Layton and Phoenix got in, Sakurai can add Bubsy the Bobcat or Mighty Number 9 for all I care and you wouldn't hear a peep from me. That's how happy and content I'd be with their inclusion.

I'd imagine Layton and Phoenix would probably get some very unorthodox gameplay due to the less straightforward type games they have (That is, that their from adventure games/Visual Novels and not your run up the mill JRPG/Platformer/Fighting game character) so I'm fully prepared to take whatever surprises Sakurai has to throw at me. Just please don't give them a counter, as tempting as that may be....

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace

Pick a timeline!
I've gotta go with timeline 1 for Sora alone. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Calane

Smash Ace

For me, that character was Hero. It's probably why I don't spend much time on Smashboards anymore, lol.

the-hero-dragon-quest-xi.png This moment will always be legendary to me.

The only characters who could match my excitement for Hero would be Adol Christin, Arle Nadja, and Saki Amamiya.
(Though I've been getting pretty interested in the Atelier series lately, and actually wouldn't mind seeing Ryza despite me knowing she has no chance).

toonito

Smash Ace

Timeline 1: 2 Yes (Sora, Sol Badguy), 1 Maybe (Bandana Dee), Neutral on the rest

Timeline 2: 2 Yes (Heihachi, Ryu Hayabusa), 1 Maybe (Waluigi), Neutral on the rest

Timeline 3: 2 Maybes (Doom Slayer, Spring Man), Neutral on the rest

Timeline 4: 2 Yes (Ragna the Bloodedge, Bomberman), 1 Maybe (Phoenix Wright), 1 No (Porky), Neutral on the rest

T1 = T2 > T4 > T3

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
For me, that character was Hero. It's probably why I don't spend much time on Smashboards anymore, lol.

View attachment 255650This moment will always be legendary to me.

The only characters who could match my excitement for Hero would be Adol Christin, Arle Nadja, and Saki Amamiya.
(Though I've been getting pretty interested in the Atelier series lately, and actually wouldn't mind seeing Ryza despite me knowing she has no chance).
let's go ADOL

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

As much as I like Dante and Sol, the others I really don't care for at best. Except for BDee, he's a good bean.
Crash TL is pretty strong, only opposed to Krystal and Conker.
Doomguy TL is all over the place. Doomguy, Shadow and Layton are great. Dixie would be neat but the rest are so boring.
Phoenix TL is probably the best, only really against Klonoa.

So
Phoenix TL > Crash TL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sora TL > Doomguy TL

toonito

Smash Ace
Now I got a question for everyone:

Picture this. It's the last fighter. It's the latest Direct. You've waited 40 minutes to see this. Your favorite has not yet been included. Then, BAM! It's not who you wanted. Which character would make you mad? (As in, "WHY DID ((insert that final character)) GET IN?? WTF??")
Tingle

almost any fighting game character comes the closest since that was the genre i played the most growing up i guess i'd narrow it down to one of these

Chun-Li (i personally believe she will be in Smash one day but not Ultimate)
Elena (she has no shot due to her attire but her all kicks moveset would be dope in Smash)
Sol Badguy
Nightmare
Jin Kazama
Nakoruru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom