• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
That "Which character would make you mad?" question also made me think about the opposite version: is there any one character they could put in for DLC that would make you infinitely happy and not even care about who else got in afterwards? Enough so that you would basically stop speculating and just buy them all regardless? Or has Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry been that character for anyone?
Dota 2. I know that its community can be a real piece of work (the game's heavily associated with Cyka Blyat, the Russian version of a CoD 12 year old screaming "Ur Mom!") and I know that MOBAs are niche if not hardcore obscure in Japan (that's why I lean towards that games' Lina the Slayer. Yes, Dota's Lina takes a lot from Slayers' Lina - getting around that issue). And I know there's a lot of potentially obnioxous gimmicks with that game, but damn it.

That would make me infinitely happy. Personal history dating back to the original Dota's tenure as a WarCraft III custom map, see.

Sure has been a while since I posted here, so I made another one of those “pick a timeline” so...

Pick a timeline!
While I'd pick the Sora timeline, if I may offer some honest and nitpicky criticism:

I do think the timelines are a little too skewed towards characters known here. Now, I know why and I don't blame you for that. To be frank though I def. think the timelines could benefit from one or a couple non-standard (by this place) picks. Ring Fit, Mach Rider, even outsider third parties. Not just companies uncomfortably hugging Nintendo and whispering "hey we prob wanna get some money from Smash" (Tencent, who own LoL and are invested in loads of other companies and characters.*), but also characters such as Gordon and Lara would bring quite a bit of variety.

That's nitpicky criticism though - overall, the timelines are thorough, and I like that.

*(Tencent have a 5 % stake in Crash and other A-B characters. Same % with Rayman, Ezio and other Ubi characters.)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm gonna be honest, I can understand most Smash opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

However, I don't think I'll ever understand why some people think "Smash has too many first parties". I mean, it's the Nintendo crossover, of course Nintendo characters are gonna be the main focus.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So with next week upon us and the likihood of an direct and FP5 happening. What's everyone's current prediction who FP5 will be?

Right now I'm betting either KOS-MOS, Master Chief or Travis Touchdown.
It's Sgt. Cortez until I'm wrong about him for every single DLC slot.

Anyway, he's still catching up to that train. He'll be fighter 5 in just a few weeks.

Pump-trolley-2.gif

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'm gonna be honest, I can understand most Smash opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

However, I don't think I'll ever understand why some people think "Smash has too many first parties". I mean, it's the Nintendo crossover, of course Nintendo characters are gonna be the main focus.
....there are people that actually think this?
That's just...wow

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Nobody's saying there's too many, but rather that there's plenty of Nintendo characters in the game and that people who argue Nintendo's severely underrepped are full of ****

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So with next week upon us and the likihood of an direct and FP5 happening. What's everyone's current prediction who FP5 will be?

I agree with you about KOS-MOS, other than her, I have a good feeling it's either Shantae, or Saber for some reason I just can't put my finger on it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

A lot of people are quietly hoping the current trend will continue, and that Smash will shift its attention to third-parties over Nintendo characters permanently.

Personally, that would ruin a lot of the enjoyment I get from Smash speculation. Despite adding more and more third-parties, Smash has always focused on Nintendo characters, and that focus is part of what appeals to the kid in me who grew up with Nintendo. I feel like the more and more we move into "Third-parties are priority" territory, the less likely I'll be able to get characters I want from franchises I have a connection with. There's just way too many video game franchises out there for me to sort through, and each region of the world has different tastes.

I'm perfectly fine with a few third-parties in each Smash game, and I don't want anyone to put words in my mouth and say that I'm claiming that all third-parties should be left out because Nintendo characters are the only ones that matter. It's just that I don't like it when people assume everyone should be perfectly content with popular Nintendo franchises not receiving additional characters because they already have at least one character on the roster. I don't care if Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda each have six or more characters in Smash. If I genuinely like those games, why should it matter if I want more? Am I obligated to root for franchises I don't care about just for the sake of being able to add another new franchise in Smash?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm curious what you think of Ridley.
I don't really think Ridley is comparable. People made memes about Ridley to **** on him getting in for the most part and used it to deny his fans on a regular basis. A not-insignificant portion of the vocal outcry from people for Waluigi is literally just a bunch of people who enjoyed him as a meme and not getting in and literally cared nothing about him prior to those memes and really don't otherwise too. The memes are almost entirely in support of him for the fun of it and not the mean-spirited mess we saw against Ridley. He just embodies so many issues at once that feel not great to me about the Smash fandom.

But I also think he's legitimately one of Nintendo's most boring and dumb characters created to fill a literal quota of Wario missing a conventional doubles partner. The literally most positive thing I can say about Waluigi is that Waluigi Pinball is a dope ass Mario Kart track and it pretty much ends there.

Like, should he probably be in Smash already and do I think fans deserve to be happy with his inclusion? Sure and the worst elements of any fan base shouldn't determine if a characters gets in or not obviously. There's just very little about his inclusion that I will enjoy personally.

I don't think anybody says "too many first parties." but I have said enough before in the context that it doesn't matter if Smash transition to third party for the remainder of Ultimate's DLC because there is loads upon loads of first party content already in the game and you'd need another 8 third party characters to even get to a 25% of the roster being third parties.

Like it's a crossover game with a Nintendo base, but I don't see why it can't continue leaning heavily into new third parties at this point and just enjoy being a crazy crossover for once since almost certainly third parties will not play this big of a role in future titles.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I'm still pretty sure it's Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo), there are a lot of things going for her (I'll post the list if asked). There's only one thing making me doubt her, and it's Vergeben's disconfirmation, but everyone appears to be ignoring him anyway.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I like Waluigi, but when it comes to Smash, I feel like he's a character we'd be adding just for the sake of "completing" the Mario roster.

That's not necessarily me saying I don't want him in Smash, but he's never really been much more than that one guy who always shows up in Mario spin-offs.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I like Waluigi, but when it comes to Smash, I feel like he's a character we'd be adding just for the sake of "completing" the Mario roster.

That's not necessarily me saying I don't want him in Smash, but he's never really been much more than that one guy who always shows up in Mario spin-offs.
And created to be a partner for Wario.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm going with 2B.

If we go by the list that Sabi claims that FP5 is from in Vergeben's mistaken disconfirmation lost. Square Enix is on there and she hasn't been disconfirmed by Verge as well.

SKX31

Smash Master
Huh. This is a really weird thing to see:

Twitter thread's pretty long, so there's a long list of China-only PS4 bundles. Other bundles include:

* Gravity Rush
* Final Fantasy X + X2
* Monkey King: Hero is Back (The first China-made console game - sadly, it's seems to be a really repetitive hack-and-slash. It was backed by Sony too, making it sadder.)
* NBA 2K19
* Driveclub alone.

Might look like Nintendo will do the same over there and people will wonder "Why couldn't we get [Mario + Rabbids / Mario Tennis Aces / Mario and Sonic] bundle?". Also, some of them got console faceplates:

My prediction for FP5 is whoever I'm hyperfixating on at that specific moment no I do not take criticism
No substitutions, exchanges or refunds either?

I don't really think Ridley is comparable. People made memes about Ridley to **** on him getting in for the most part and used it to deny his fans on a regular basis. A not-insignificant portion of the vocal outcry from people for Waluigi is literally just a bunch of people who enjoyed him as a meme and not getting in and literally cared nothing about him prior to those memes and really don't otherwise too. The memes are almost entirely in support of him for the fun of it and not the mean-spirited mess we saw against Ridley. He just embodies so many issues at once that feel not great to me about the Smash fandom.
Ironic and "ironic" support bugs me alot, especially as one who is overall positive to Waluigi's inclusion (although not really bothered by his AT status). Really, it doesn't do much to advance the conversation and can get in the way too many times.

While I'd prefer if Mario games used their side characters in mainline games a bit more often or were a bit more consistent with previous one-and-dones (this is what I find frustrating with Miyamoto's stance re: characters, but that's another discussion and I realize it's gonna be a while for that to change), Smash might be one of the few avenues side characters have. No matter if it's Ultimate's DLC, Smash 6 or beyond.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My prediction for FP5 is whoever I'm hyperfixating on at that specific moment no I do not take criticism
but I don't like that character so obviously you're wrong and i take your existence as a personal insult to my being

insert inflammatory comment that the entire thread will react to with funny meme images and retaliatory personal attacks before the mods step in and tell people to stop but they still keep on it until the thread gets locked

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
but I don't like that character so obviously you're wrong and i take your existence as a personal insult to my being

insert inflammatory comment that the entire thread will react to with funny meme images and retaliatory personal attacks before the mods step in and tell people to stop but they still keep on it until the thread gets locked
Nou
FP5 will be Orbital Gate Assault.
It returns with a vengeance.
Finally, a character that's worthy of a ban both in competitive play and casually

D

Deleted member

Huh. This is a really weird thing to see:

Twitter thread's pretty long, so there's a long list of China-only PS4 bundles. Other bundles include:

* Gravity Rush
* Final Fantasy X + X2
* Monkey King: Hero is Back (The first China-made console game - sadly, it's seems to be a really repetitive hack-and-slash. It was backed by Sony too, making it sadder.)
* NBA 2K19
* Driveclub alone.

Might look like Nintendo will do the same over there and people will wonder "Why couldn't we get [Mario + Rabbids / Mario Tennis Aces / Mario and Sonic] bundle?". Also, some of them got console faceplates:

No substitutions, exchanges or refunds either?

Ironic and "ironic" support bugs me alot, especially as one who is overall positive to Waluigi's inclusion (although not really bothered by his AT status). Really, it doesn't do much to advance the conversation and can get in the way too many times.

While I'd prefer if Mario games used their side characters in mainline games a bit more often or were a bit more consistent with previous one-and-dones (this is what I find frustrating with Miyamoto's stance re: characters, but that's another discussion and I realize it's gonna be a while for that to change), Smash might be one of the few avenues side characters have. No matter if it's Ultimate's DLC, Smash 6 or beyond.
The entire China thing confuses me. IF they were announcing this after the DLC had been finalized....

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
On that note that if FP5 is shadow dropped on Wednesday, it would more or less mean that Nintendo has figured out a consistence schedule for Smash DLC.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm not sure why people are using Waluigi's origin as Wario's tennis partner as a jab against the character. Technically other Mario characters were also made to fill a vacant spot. Mario was created because Miyamoto couldn't get the license to Popeyes and he wanted a quick replacement. Luigi was made to fill a Player 2 slot. Wario was made because the development team didn't like making a Mario game and wanted to make a villain that mocks Mario.

The reasoning for the creation of these characters is silly, but they are beloved to many people and have become prominent after their debut despite the silly reasoning for their creation. Characters evolve after their creation, and Waluigi has become more than just Wario's tennis partner throughout the years. He's a **** Dastardly type character that loves to be mischievous and cheat. If you don't get the appeal for this type of character then that's fine, but know that People love Waluigi for his character even though he hasn't starred in his own game yet, and that is impressive.

Also I don't get how memes invalidate the legitimate love people have for Waluigi. Luigi has also been meme'd to hell by his fans, is the love from his fans illegitimate as well?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Why exactly is a direct "likely" this week?

Or are we just praying? Lol

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
People like to believe insiders up until they say something they don't like, then they pretend they never had any credibility to begin with.
I couldn't give less of a **** about KOS-MOS, but if Sabi's source said she was FP5 id take the claim very seriously.

I don't believe Verg because they continue to backpedal on their claims.

This isn't rocket science.

Theres no real evidence, but GameStop updated their Nintendo game listings (which they sometimes do before game announcements) and FP5 is now available individually for purchase on the eshop

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
He's a **** Dastardly type character that loves to be mischievous and cheat. If you don't get the appeal for this type of character then that's fine
That's the point. Seems to succeed only to fail in the end and that's what Waluigi represents hence why I consider him the face of assist trophies always having bad luck and failure falling upon him.

Plus its fun to make fun of him due to the reason stated above given all the fanart he receives.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's the point. Seems to succeed only to fail in the end and that's what Waluigi represents hence why I consider him the face of assist trophies always having bad luck and failure falling upon him.
This is the same mentality that I **** on Isabelle for during speculation because "shes an assistant!!! it's in her character to be an assist trophy!" only to realize that what I said was stupid and meant absolutely nothing and was hiding the fact that I really just didn't care about Isabelle.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This is the same mentality that I **** on Isabelle for during speculation because "shes an assistant!!! it's in her character to be an assist trophy!" only to realize that what I said was stupid and meant absolutely nothing and was hiding the fact that I really just didn't care about Isabelle.
Aww but all the fun fanart will end if he becomes playable...Waluigi is easy to make fun of...:(

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Theres no real evidence, but GameStop updated their Nintendo game listings (which they sometimes do before game announcements) and FP5 is now available individually for purchase on the eshop
Also every character that's been announced there's been a pattern with amiibo releases. If not this week then surely next week.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Seems like they would want to reveal who Fighter 5 is regardless of whether they release in January or February. And if there is a Direct, it would most likely be early in the month so it adds up.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

The biggest thing going in favor of a January Direct is that industry insiders such as NateDrake and King Zell placed their bets on it. There's also stuff like the rumor on Metro Redux for Switch realising on Febraury 7th (meaning that if the plan is to reveal it in a Direct they have to do it before the end of the month, unless they announce it on twitter or something) and the fact that apparently the Richter and Dark Samus amiibo aren't compatible with patch 6.1.0 (Though i'd like a definitive confirmation for this last rumor).
Bearing all of this in mind, a Direct could either this upcoming week or the one after it.
Then again this insiders have been wrong in the past and this rumor aren't the most concrete we've ever had...still, I'm not joining team February just yet.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
And to add, we get a major patch on average of 2 months apart, last major patch was early November. And there needs to be an update anyways to add compatibility for the Richter and Dark Samus amiibo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom