• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That "Which character would make you mad?" question also made me think about the opposite version: is there any one character they could put in for DLC that would make you infinitely happy and not even care about who else got in afterwards? Enough so that you would basically stop speculating and just buy them all regardless? Or has Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry been that character for anyone?

And as a tangent to that, what if that character got in, but you royally sucked with them? Like they were Brawl Ganondorf low tier trash or Brawl Meta Knight broken, or maybe have a really obnoxious gimmick. What then?

For me, it's Dovahkiin (I'm sure everyone on this forum is shocked...). But as to the other point, I'd still be so stoked that I wouldn't care. I normally dislike gimmicky characters, but that's because I don't like the character enough to learn the gimmick. If they gave me a super gimmicky Dragonborn, I'd work my *** off to git gud and learn it. In terms of playstyle, I tend to go for the heavier melee users anyway, so I'd probably be fine. I doubt they'd give me a speedster, but even if they did, I'd practice my *** off just to be able to see my dreams come true.
That was Ridley for me, I bought the Fighters Pass instantly because I was already so happy with the base roster that I'm just up for whatever they throw our way now. In comparison I never bought all of the Smash 4 DLC, but with Ultimate I really just want the complete experience.

While Ridley was just a rumor I actually had a lot of the worries that you're describing about playstyle, like what if he were to be awful, or worse yet be ruined by some crazy gimmick? I think something that's worth remembering here is that they usually try to tailor a character's moveset around what makes sense for them, so while it's not always going to be the case of course (Ganondorf being the obvious example), there's a good chance that if you enjoy how a character plays/fights outside of Smash, you'll also enjoy them once they get in. The only example I can think of where a character I personally like in their source game turned out to be unenjoyable in Smash was Mega Man, but even then I have to admit that they absolutely did him justice, it's just within the framework of Smash I don't like not having a proper F-Tilt and N-Air. The times where the Smash team have genuinely messed up or overdesigned a character are very few imo.

In the case of Dovahkiin I imagine they'd take a lot of inspiration from Skyrim's core gameplay, so I'd expect him to be a character who's a bit clunky, but with meaty hits and an emphasis on dual wield action (so lots of double hits, maybe functionally like Link's F-Smash). If he'd have any gimmicks, it'd probably be in how they integrate his shouts, which would likely be a lot more tame than all the meters, or the even crazier stuff like Monado Arts or Luma.

Sure has been a while since I posted here, so I made another one of those “pick a timeline” so...

Pick a timeline!View attachment 255626View attachment 255627View attachment 255628View attachment 255629
I like the overall package of the Crash one the best, although it sucks to miss out on Porky and Agumon.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sure has been a while since I posted here, so I made another one of those “pick a timeline” so...

Pick a timeline!View attachment 255626View attachment 255627View attachment 255628View attachment 255629
Tough, there are characters I really want from all four and then there are characters I really don’t want from everything as well.

Outcome 1:
Really want: Sora, Rex & Pyra, Arle
OK: Bandana Dee, Byleth, Sol Badguy
Meh: Dante, Agumon

Outcome 2:
Really want: Isaac, Krystal
OK: Waluigi, Crash, Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa
Meh: Conker, Heihachi

Outcome 3:
Really want: Dixie Kong, Shantae, Lloyd, Professor Layton
OK: Geno, Shadow, Spring Man (if he comes with Ribbon Girl)
Meh: Doomguy

Outcome 4:
Really want: Phoenix Wright
OK: Akira Howard, Bomberman, Klonoa
Meh: Porky (bleh), Eggman, Monokuma, Ragna

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Picture this. It's the last fighter. It's the latest Direct. You've waited 40 minutes to see this. Your favorite has not yet been included. Then, BAM! It's not who you wanted. Which character would make you mad? (As in, "WHY DID ((insert that final character)) GET IN?? WTF??")
I don't think I'd be mad, I'd just be annoyed and lose even more interest in the series. Anyway, it's Bandana Waddle Dee. I'd even be OK with regular Waddle Dee or a group of regular ones as a single character (and I'd even kinda want the Waddle Dee TV crew from the twitter thing as a character), but I dislike the concept of "Bandana" Waddle Dee as a fighter. A regular Waddle Dee would better represent what Waddle Dees are supposed to be in the Kirby franchise, and would require more creativity to make a moveset (the bandanna can still be a costume along with the sailor hat and other stuff). I think that if Bandana Waddle Dee is added to Smash, it's going to be Little Mac with a spear instead of punches, and I don't like that, especially when you have a franchise full of crazy characters with unique skills that would stand out a lot more.
It's pretty much the only character I'm against to, and that's mainly because I want to see other different Kirby characters in the game instead.

That "Which character would make you mad?" question also made me think about the opposite version: is there any one character they could put in for DLC that would make you infinitely happy and not even care about who else got in afterwards? Enough so that you would basically stop speculating and just buy them all regardless? Or has Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry been that character for anyone?
Obviously Adeleine & Ribbon. I wouldn't care of speculation anymore and would instant main her regardless of her moveset/tier. I've supported this character for so long and her inclusion would be the best gift I could get from this series. They can add 10 marth clones after that and I wouldn't care.

WeirdSandwich

Smash Cadet

This is an incredibly easy timeline to choose for me! Doomguy is currently my most wanted character, but even ignoring that, Geno is obviously huge. Lloyd, Shadow, Shantae, and Dixie have heaps of followers, to the extent that I think this count is incredibly biased. And Professor Layton and Arm's Guy are also really good choices. Honestly I think this is the only serious choice if you want to appeal to as many smash fans as possible. Timeline 3 and its no contest.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I don't think I'd be mad, I'd just be annoyed and lose even more interest in the series. Anyway, it's Bandana Waddle Dee. I'd even be OK with regular Waddle Dee or a group of regular ones as a single character (and I'd even kinda want the Waddle Dee TV crew from the twitter thing as a character), but I dislike the concept of "Bandana" Waddle Dee as a fighter. A regular Waddle Dee would better represent what Waddle Dees are supposed to be in the Kirby franchise, and would require more creativity to make a moveset (the bandanna can still be a costume along with the sailor hat and other stuff). I think that if Bandana Waddle Dee is added to Smash, it's going to be Little Mac with a spear instead of punches, and I don't like that, especially when you have a franchise full of crazy characters with unique skills that would stand out a lot more.
It's pretty much the only character I'm against to, and that's mainly because I want to see other different Kirby characters in the game instead.

Obviously Adeleine & Ribbon. I wouldn't care of speculation anymore and would instant main her regardless of her moveset/tier. I've supported this character for so long and her inclusion would be the best gift I could get from this series. They can add 10 marth clones after that and I wouldn't care.
To be fair, I could come up with a moveset for Bandana Dee which would combine Spear/Beam/Parasol and Staff into one moveset as well with elemental attacks.
Also I respect your opinion.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Sora timeline would be pretty ****ing cool despite Sora and one of the worst ****ing games of 2017 getting characters
Crash timeline has a 3D Rare character and Rare's attempts at 3D platformers were ****ing failures so not worth it
Slayer timeline's only bummer is Geno, the rest are ok at worst but Slayer makes up for that, even if it's the wrong Tales character
Only issues with Nick are Ragna due to me being petty, confusion on Monokuma and the meme known as Porky

Pick a timeline!
Oof. That's tough. There's a lot of strong choices here. The only one I would really dislike is the doomguy timeline. It's not a bad group, but Lloyd's the only one I would be very excited for and there are other Tales characters I'd rather have.

I would probably take the Sora timeline, though it's tough leaving Isaac, Howard, and Phoenix behind. There are too many characters I would like in Sora's timeline to choose one or two characters I would like a bit more in another.

Though there are so many sword characters there that I could see a practical riot across the internet. Oh well.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's a fun little game: name five of your most wanted, along with who you think would be their boss fight in Classic Mode.
  1. Dante -> Ganon
  2. Officer Howard -> Galleom
  3. Captain Syrup -> Marx
  4. Monster Hunter -> Giga Bowser
  5. Phoenix Wright -> Dracula
1. Sora - Darkhon
I don't think anyone has Darkhon as their final boss, but it would fit Sora so well considering he's constantly fighting against large, dark entities. If not Darkhon then I suppose Ganon would work, but it wouldn't be as thematically appropriate imo.
2. 2B - Galleom
It just works.
3. Dante - Dracula
It feels like Dracula is more of a DMC opponent than any of the other bosses.
4. Lloyd - Dracula
A fight against a dark lord at the top of a tower fits Lloyd well I think.
5. Akira Howard - Dracula
Again, it just works.

That Sora timeline looks hella fresh.

Dante and Sol Badguy? Byleth and Rex & Pyra? Agumon, Hat Goomba Bandana Dee, and Arle are kind of meh, but still good picks in their own right.

Sign me up.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I'm taking the Crash timeline thank you very much. It has four character I would really like to see and four characters that I'm cool with.

Here's a fun little game: name five of your most wanted, along with who you think would be their boss fight in Classic Mode.
  1. Dante -> Ganon
  2. Officer Howard -> Galleom
  3. Captain Syrup -> Marx
  4. Monster Hunter -> Giga Bowser
  5. Phoenix Wright -> Dracula
1. Waluigi -> Master Hand / Crazy Hand (Gotta give 'em payback for making him an AT all these years)
2. Gordon Freeman -> Galleom (Missiles and Tank form slightly remind me of Half-Life enemies so Galleom fits the bill)
3. Kratos -> Ganon (Demon King Ganon just sounds like the type of monster that suits Kratos the most)
4. Heihachi -> Dracula (His demonic power and transformation kinda reminds me of Devil Kazuya)
5. Steve -> Rathalos (Closest thing to the Ender Dragon boss)

BONUS:
Reimu -> Marx (Because Reimu's classic mode route has to be a replication of EoSD bosses and the final one has to be Marx in place of Flandre)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I would go for timeline 1 and 4.

Watch most of these characters not getting in by the end of DLC.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
If Doomguy, Vincent Brooks, Shantae or Master Chief get in, I'm happy.

That's all. Continue on.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

Honestly, as a Nintendo fan, the Doomguy timeline is pretty perfect. Getting Shantae, Geno, and Dixie would be enough for me, but even just looking at the different moveset potentials for each character makes it feel incredibly well-rounded.

Plus, if we were getting a monster-killing, armor-wearing space soldier, I'd much rather have Doomguy than Master Chief. In fact, switching out Springman for Crash or Robotnik (or Lloyd for Isaac) would make this remaining DLC pretty perfect in my eyes.

Any timeline that blesses me with a playable Shantae immediately has my vote, so this all works out!

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

Doom Slayer w/ Dixie, Shadow, and Geno (and that boring JRPG guy everyone seems to care about) is an ultimate timeline

Plus, if we were getting a monster-killing, armor-wearing space soldier, I'd much rather have Doomguy than Master Chief.
This is truly my eternal/internal struggle. Both Master Chief and Doom Slayer would have amazing move sets with incredible music. Id be ecstatic with either, but rn I'm leaning more towards the Chief for pure catastrophic hype.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So with next week upon us and the likihood of an direct and FP5 happening. What's everyone's current prediction who FP5 will be?

Right now I'm betting either KOS-MOS, Master Chief or Travis Touchdown.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
So with next week upon us and the likihood of an direct and FP5 happening. What's everyone's current prediction who FP5 will be?
My best bet is KOS-MOS due to Sabi's source not directly addressing her inclusion (even though Sabi never straight up asked "Is KOS-MOS FP5?").

My second bet would be a Bethesda rep due to CacoMallow. Fingers crossed for Doom Slayer, but an Elder scrolls rep would be pretty cool too.

My pipe dream pick (and most wanted) is Master Chief. Nuff said, really.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My best bet is KOS-MOS due to Sabi's source not directly addressing her inclusion (even though Sabi never straight up asked "Is KOS-MOS FP5?").

My second bet would be a Bethesda rep due to CacoMallow. Fingers crossed for Doom Slayer, but an Elder scrolls rep would be pretty cool too.

My pipe dream pick (and most wanted) is Master Chief. Nuff said, really.
Vergeben also said his source was unsure if it was KOS-MOS even though said source also shot down Bandai Namco

D

Deleted member

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean any negativity, but what are you basing this 'prediction' on? Its hard to differentiate between 'hopes' and 'predictions' on here. A 'prediction' is usually based on something leading to belief in a chance while hope is a simple want.

I wouldn't mind any of those three, but the only evidence leakers have provided these last two months are what companies and characters are not character 5. That's way too vague to really be points in favor of any given character, so it really shouldn't be counted as evidence towards KOS-MOS or Master Chief.

And as for Travis, him being from a game that is Nintendo exclusive actually hurts his chances (by current trend of the fighters released so far) since every game has been from third party companies (with the exception of Banjo who was chosen for his Western popularity).

Again, not to sound rude or anything; I don't mean it at all, but your 'prediction' sounds more like a Wishlist.

Also, sidenote, Papagenos, if you're scouring the thread; its been bothering me greatly since I've watched a couple of your videos. Please, PLEASE, pronounce KOS-MOS correctly; its not Cosmos; its k-OH-s m-OH-s; both o's have the hard 'O' sound. Sorry, trivial I know...but it bothered me lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Vergeben also said his source was unsure if it was KOS-MOS even though said source also shot down Bandai Namco
I personally don't take anything Verg says seriously. Especially after they dropped a giant list of deconfirms and then backtracked.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
So uhm, I recently played No More Heroes 1 & 2. and I gotta say, I think Travis Touchdown would be a sick addition, for many, MANY reasons.
That's all I wanted to say, thank you for reading this.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So uhm, I recently played No More Heroes 1 & 2. and I gotta say, I think Travis Touchdown would be a sick addition, for many, MANY reasons.
That's all I wanted to say, thank you for reading this.
If you haven't already, feel free to post in the support thread! It's good to have more supporters on board, especially ones who have played the first two games. :) Good to see you enjoyed them!

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master

Thanks for making me choose between Doom Slayer and Phoenix Wright you monster!
On one hand, Doom Slayer would be accompanied be three characters I'm supportive of (Layton, Lloyd, and Shantae) plus Geno so his fans will be happy.
On the other hand, Nick would be joined by Ragna, Bomberman, Eggman, and Klonoa. I'm neutral on Akira on the time being.
Crash has Heihachi. Pass.
Sora has characters I'm somewhat interested in, but not actively wanting.
I'm leaning toward Doom Slayer on this one.
Another video leak like the Mii costume one: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Thoughts?
My Reaction.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

I am leaning towards Reimu or a first party character for FP5. Since I think Verge and Sabi won't get FP5 correct.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Now I got a question for everyone:

Picture this. It's the last fighter. It's the latest Direct. You've waited 40 minutes to see this. Your favorite has not yet been included. Then, BAM! It's not who you wanted. Which character would make you mad? (As in, "WHY DID ((insert that final character)) GET IN?? WTF??")
Waluigi has officially become my "disappointment" character and he's got way too good of a chance to come back if they upgrade Assist Trophies. He's super boring, I don't really like Waluigi as a character, and he proves that, yes, ********, moaning, and meme'ing enough is an acceptable route to playable status. Just the trifecta of things I don't like for a character in Smash.

Can Nintendo purists stop trying to use this to prove they're opressed while unironically having a character people only cared about for some old Nintendo exclusives at the front? Banjo was meant to cater towards people who grew up on Nintendo and I'm tired of people who loved Banjo suddenly go "Now what about the first parties? We never get anything we want I swear :c"
Banjo & Kazooie are always used in Calvin Ball to make a point I feel. Just whatever is most convenient in the moment, Banjo & Kazooie gets used that way.

Also, lol at the Nintendo purists attempting to argue they're oppressed. There are 67 first party Nintendo characters to 14 third party options, the vast majority of which are practically inseparable from Nintendo with one even being a literal former first party and another being a second party type situation that Nintendo seems to exclusively control the future of. Just because DLC has focused on third parties does not mean first parties are oppressed, nor does the fact that people are more interested in third parties and thus want to talk about them over first parties in terms of speculation. I can understand wanting Nintendo characters (even if I don't really agree), but Smash Ultimate is the first time we've ever seen third parties actually be a big enough presence to be much of anything (4 of the 7 Smash 4 DLC fighters were first parties), so it's just hella premature to argue "oppression" or to bemoan Smash changing as some great evil.

Master Chief would just shut me up in a way no other character can. Even if I want Geno more, going that far out of his way to include Master Chief would just ensure that I wouldn't be able to say anything much anymore if that makes any sense...

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Fake leakerman says character I like = legit
Please go ahead and name something that Sabi's source got wrong. Cmon lets hear it

just because ppl dislike the way Sabi gives out info doesn't mean that their source is "fake"

also to clarify for you scruffy nerfherders, im defending the source, not Sabi

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord

Doomguy path, easily, because I get Dixie, Layton and Spring-Man, on top of Geno and Shadow, with Lloyd and Shantae who I'd be A-Okay with making an appearance. There's basically nobody in that path who I have a problem with, whereas I do have some hesitations and overall "meh" feelings about some of the characters in the other routes.

D

Deleted member

FP5 can literally be anyone at this point. We all just don't trust any of the high profile leakers atm. Verge hasn't deconfirmed KOS-MOS, Sabi...idk, VR Plant hasn't been active, etc.

It's the dry spell that took us this far which concerns me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And he proves that, yes, ********, moaning, and meme'ing enough is an acceptable route to playable status. Just the trifecta of things I don't like for a character in Smash.
I'm curious what you think of Ridley.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Please go ahead and name something that Sabi's source got wrong. Cmon lets hear it

just because ppl dislike the way Sabi gives out info doesn't mean that their source is "fake"

also to clarify for you scruffy nerfherders, im defending the source, not Sabi
People like to believe insiders up until they say something they don't like, then they pretend they never had any credibility to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom