• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why the hell are people talking about Leffen in the newcomer speculation thread.

He has absolutely no relation to whoever gets in the game.
but hes epic villain man intellectual hmmmmm big brain

untitled.png

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Leffen is far from an authority on pretty much anything, lol. He says whatever will get clicks because people will lap whatever vitriol he spews up and treat it as gospel.
It feels like he is one of the few people that actually treats Smash seriously. He understands the game and almost everything that is wrong with it. He’s not a baby crying for attention, he is one of smash’s best players. Even Tweek has massive problems with the game.
You heard it here, folks! He thinks Smash is important after all!
Don’t act like a petty little kid because I don’t think Smash isn’t treated so seriously. The whole thing with the brackets and Sabi is hilarious and it does show their true attitude with this game. Their attitude with Pokémon shows how biased they are with that game franchise.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It feels like he is one of the few people that actually treats Smash seriously. He understands the game and almost everything that is wrong with it. He’s not a baby crying for attention, he is one of smash’s best players. Even Tweek has massive problems with the game.

Don’t act like a petty little kid because I don’t think Smash isn’t treated so seriously. The whole thing with the brackets and Sabi is hilarious and it does show their true attitude with this game. Their attitude with Pokémon shows how biased they are with that game franchise.
I'd like to add that Nintendo doesn't really handle Pokémon for the most part. That's the Pokémon Company's job.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I'd like to add that Nintendo doesn't really handle Pokémon for the most part. That's the Pokémon Company's job.
There is so much misinformation about the Pokémon Company that it’s ridiculous to consider touching it. Just look up a wiki for it.

D

Deleted member

If Pokemon is important, why doesn't Nintendo focus on their Pokemon tournaments?

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’ve gotten to talk about Layton, Phoenix, and Nightmare today, might as well push for someone else I’d want.
0085C6DA-45C0-422C-91B4-6F42961EA5E2.png

How would you feel about a Dark Souls character? I believe it’s one of the most influential games of the 2010s and would be interesting in Smash. FromSoftware usually has a pretty big presence at the Video Game Awards, it would an opportune reveal time. I personally hope for Solaire since he has a more colorful personality than the Chosen undead but either could work.

D

Deleted member

I’ve gotten to talk about Layton, Phoenix, and Nightmare today, might as well push for someone else I’d want.View attachment 248805

How would you feel about a Dark Souls character? I believe it’s one of the most influential games of the 2010s and would be interesting in Smash. FromSoftware usually has a pretty big presence at the Video Game Awards, it would an opportune reveal time. I personally hope for Solaire since he has a more colorful personality than the Chosen undead but either could work.
I haven't played Dark Souls, but I love its boss designs. I've been seeing the Sun dude a lot in speculation despite him not being the main character. What does he do in Dark Souls?

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
For real, Smash is treated like a joke. Leffen is practically right about everything in this game. It’s like someone who knows it’s important, but they don’t really treat it seriously.
Smash competitive wise is treated like a joke, because the Smash community make it very easy to be picked on and not taken seriously

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
For real, Smash is treated like a joke. Leffen is practically right about everything in this game. It’s like someone who knows it’s important, but they don’t really treat it seriously.
Realtalk I think Leffen should just let Ultimate go at this point. Even pre-Hero release he was already heavily stressed out by things such as living in a country with poor online with Switch games among other issues that ate at him. It can really do long term damage towards his mental state if he keeps forcing himself to get into an experience he dislikes and him using the John that it's only so he can improve on a competitive level isn't enough to mask the damage it is causing.

I mean look at ZeRo- he has been finally living a more humble life again with his girlfriend, losing lots of weight and even practicing Motocross after stepping away from the tournament scene. William needs to just stick to games not just that he enjoys but also ones he gains satisfaction of getting into the depths of and breaking down, and not ones that feel like constant torment for him.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Seriously, enough about the ****ing Leffen and competitive talk.

I’ve gotten to talk about Layton, Phoenix, and Nightmare today, might as well push for someone else I’d want.View attachment 248805

Has a fairly decent shot, only issue would be perhaps including them in a way that feels accurate to the slow deliberate pace of Dark Souls while also having the freedom of movement and speed of Smash.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There is so much misinformation about the Pokémon Company that it’s ridiculous to consider touching it. Just look up a wiki for it.
The Pokémon Company has split ownership between Game Freak, Nintendo, and Creatures, Inc., each creating the company to manage the IP and each holding a certain amount of stock in it, with Game Freak making the mainline games, Creatures working on a bunch of other games, handling the trading cards and making the Pokémon models Game Freak uses, and Nintendo having exclusivity rights and owning trademarks for each Pokémon’s name. How much stock each company has in TPC, however, is unknown to the public.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

I'd be excited for a Dark Souls character(regardless of whether it's the Chosen Undead or Solaire) or even the Bloodborne Hunter. And I would be shocked if Dark Souls and FromSoftware in general didn't get in Smash at some point. The Dark Souls series is just so hugely known alongside Bloodborne and both have been a major influence in the game industry.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I haven't played Dark Souls, but I love its boss designs. I've been seeing the Sun dude a lot in speculation despite him not being the main character. What does he do in Dark Souls?
Solaire has the same abilities that the Chosen Undead player character does and he also uses a sword and shield, so I image much of what they could do with the CU would apply to him as well (sword based moveset, bait and punish playstyle, etc) but he also has a focus on Miracles, making him capable of throwing spears of lighting or using healing magic.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Realtalk I think Leffen should just let Ultimate go at this point. Even pre-Hero release he was already heavily stressed out by things such as living in a country with poor online with Switch games among other issues that ate at him. It can really do long term damage towards his mental state if he keeps forcing himself to get into an experience he dislikes and him using the John that it's only so he can improve on a competitive level isn't enough to mask the damage it is causing.

I mean look at ZeRo- he has been finally living a more humble life again with his girlfriend, losing lots of weight and even practicing Motocross after stepping away from the tournament scene. William needs to just stick to games not just that he enjoys but also ones he gains satisfaction of getting into the depths of and breaking down, and not ones that feel like constant torment for him.
I swear, replace “ultimate” with “star wars” and you basically have done this guy’s tweeter stuff: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=InkTc2iwYVA

Also, Nintendo’s online is just super ass.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The Pokémon Company has split ownership between Game Freak, Nintendo, and Creatures, Inc., each holding a certain amount of stock with Game Freak making the mainline games, Creatures working on a bunch of other games, handling the trading cards and making the Pokémon models Game Freak uses, and Nintendo having exclusivity rights and owning trademarks for each Pokémon’s name. How much stock each company has in TPC, however, is unknown.
None of this explains why The Pokémon Company wouldn't be the primary company that deals with Pokémon.

D

Deleted member

Solaire has the same abilities that the Chosen Undead does and uses a sword and shield, so I image much of what they could do with the CU would apply to him as well (sword based moveset, bait and punish playstyle, etc) but he also has a focus on Miracles, making him capable of throwing spears of lighting or using healing magic.
Could he work as an alt for the Chosen Undead?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's Solaire.

He's a relatively minor character in Dark Souls 1 who is one of the few legitimately friendly and non-hostile people you meet. He offers you help in some bossfights, making him one of the few characters that is able to be summoned offline.

In terms of what he can actually do, he's a faith-built sword and shield user which gives him lightning and support magicks.

(Also he worships the sun and does the Y-pose to symbolize that.)

Theoretically, yes, but depending on how you build your dark souls character, it might be weird to see him casting sorcery or throwing fireballs or somesuch.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
None of this explains why The Pokémon Company wouldn't be the primary company that deals with Pokémon.
I know TPC manages the IP. Some people say they wouldn’t be able to tell Game Freak what to do and that everything is Game Freak’s fault and they suck, but I wouldn’t be so sure. I doubt Game Freak owns enough of it to overpower their word, being the original creators doesn’t mean anything to a company who manages their stuff and wants money.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord

I like the Souls games so I'd be down for it. I'd imagine they'd just use the Chosen Undead though since that's the main character. Solaire is easily the most popular npc in the series though and has a specific set of gear and spells to make a moveset with instead of trying to incorporate everything they possibly can with the Chosen Undead.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well, Lloyd's not looking likely now.
Out of my top guesses, that leaves Monster Hunter, Tracer, Heihachi, or Kratos.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Solaire is the pretty much the mascot of the series, he’s a fan favorite and has a lot merchandise such as an Amiibo.

Solaire isn’t the playable character but he is the first helpful NPC in a game that wants to absolutely murder you. In a very lonely game he makes a lasting impression with his jolly attitude. You meet him repeatedly throughout the game and if you complete his quest he helps you fight the final boss.

He is not physically present in the other games but his legacy lives on, a covenant of people worshipping the sun and striking his signature pose. I believe you can obtain his armor in Dark Soul 3.

D

Deleted member

That's Solaire.

He's a relatively minor character in Dark Souls 1 who is one of the few legitimately friendly and non-hostile people you meet. He offers you help in some bossfights, making him one of the few characters that is able to be summoned offline.

In terms of what he can actually do, he's a faith-built sword and shield user which gives him lightning and support magicks.

(Also he worships the sun and does the Y-pose to symbolize that.)

Theoretically, yes, but depending on how you build your dark souls character, it might be weird to see him casting sorcery or throwing fireballs or somesuch.
So he's a supporting character. Sounds like he could work for a character. He's clearly appreciated too. Wouldn't be surprised if he was just a stage element though, which is a trend we've been seeing with side character cameos.

Ivander

Smash Legend
He could technically, considering that the Player in Dark Souls can get and wear his Armor.

That said, the only real difference between the Chosen Undead and Solaire is that Solaire talks(and he's the greatest bro in a world that wants your head) while the Chosen Undead doesn't.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Man, things got kinda heated, huh? And Lloyd might not be 5 as well? Never really thought he was a lock anyway, but hope it helps KOS-MOS's chances (yeah I want KOS-MOS, deal with it), though I don't think she's close to guaranteed either. Still not sure on FP5 but at this point I think it's someone super unexpected (would also dig Phoenix too).

I mentioned DS as part of my unpopular opinion in the past, but I think they'd be lame and wouldn't offer much that other characters don't already, and I'm not sure how you could make the character "feel" distinctly like a DS character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So he's a supporting character. Sounds like he could work for a character. He's clearly appreciated too. Wouldn't be surprised if he was just a stage element though, which is a trend we've been seeing with side character cameos.
I doubt he'll be chosen.
Solaire's a popular character but he's not important in any way.

He has a particular set of mannerisms and distinct personality that makes him popular because he so contradicts what Dark Souls is normally like.
If they were to pick this jolly sun knight as the representative, it wouldn't paint a very accurate picture of the world that's trying to be told.

D

Deleted member

I doubt he'll be chosen.
Solaire's a popular character but he's not important in any way.

He has a particular set of mannerisms and distinct personality that makes him popular because he so contradicts what Dark Souls is normally like.
If they were to pick this jolly sun knight as the representative, it wouldn't paint a very accurate picture of the world that's trying to be told.
That makes sense. When I imagine Dark Souls and its brutal difficulty, and then I see Solaire, I can't help but think he's a meme for a reason.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Saw a discussion about Nightmare earlier. I think he would be a cool addition to the roster with a good amount of potential. Besides, I think we could have more villains and we've never had a playable third party villain in Smash before. Would love to see Tekken too.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mentioned DS as part of my unpopular opinion in the past, but I think they'd be lame and wouldn't offer much that other characters don't already, and I'm not sure how you could make the character "feel" distinctly like a DS character.
All of his actions are tied to a stamina gauge. Said gauge can only be replenished by not touching any buttons, and the player can only walk slowly if it is fully depleted. *Taps fingers together* It's the perfect gimmick.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Saw a discussion about Nightmare earlier. I think he would be a cool addition to the roster with a good amount of potential. Besides, I think we could have more villains and we've never had a playable third party villain in Smash before. Would love to see Tekken too.
I also find it ridiculous we have a lacking amount of villains. A lot of them are so notable.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
All of his actions are tied to a stamina gauge. Said gauge can only be replenished by not touching any buttons, and the player can only walk slowly if it is fully depleted. *Taps fingers together* It's the perfect gimmick.
How is that fun? Unless this is a joke.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Is it that bad that the chosen undead isn't talking? There are a lot of other characters as well in Smash that don't utter more than grunts and screams.

The chosen Undead would have a wide array of possible abilities as one can make his character a jack of all trades build while Solair would be another swordie with magic (miracles). Not saying that I wouldn't be hyped for Solair, I love him, but the chosen undead has just so much more to offer when it comes to armor and moveset.

I mean, his alts could be multiple armor sets from the series and Solairs armor could be one of them. Artorias, Black Knight, Ornstein, Xanthous... so many good armor sets.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I actually did talk about Chosen Undead's moveset and gimmick suggestions around 2 and a half weeks ago.
On the subject of Chosen Undead's moveset potential...

When it comes to moveset potential regarding Chosen Undead, aside from the token Sword and Shield, the Chosen Undead will heavily rely on Pyromancy, Sorcery and Miracles for their Specials, much like Hero with their spells. In Dark Souls, there was always a move from each set that kept going into the next stronger move alongside a whole set of spells that gave different effects. Heck, there is a Pyromancy spell that pretty much acts like Hero's Metal Form, except they can actually move.
That said, Sorcery brought out the nanomachines in Dark Souls 2 and 3 when it came to the one spell that would get a stronger version or a variation of the move. If you have Robin with 4 versions of Thunder, Chosen Undead's close-to-home Sorcery special would have frickin' 16 of them. Probably even higher.
For a recovery move, they will have to be original on which move they choose for the recovery move. In the list of Miracles, there is Homeward, but it's more like Zoom as it teleports you to the last Bonfire you visited. But there are a few spells, like Combustion, that can cause an explosion for a hypothetical upward momentum recovery.

If we go into spoiler territory, I would not be surprised if Sunlight Spear was one of their specials, not to mention it appears in all 3 games as a Miracle. Sunlight Spear basically has Chosen Undead throw a giant spear of lightning at their foe. If you count on "how they use it in Dark Souls 3", it can also cause shockwaves when it hits a surface or they can throw it straight to the ground to cause a shockwave.
So something that can be done with that is that when you use Sunlight Spear, you can "aim" it in the brief time it charges up and it will go into the direction the control stick aims at. Aim it downward to have them throw it at the ground for a shockwave and any surface it hits when thrown will cause a shockwave.
If they want to be a bit more creative with Chosen Undead's regular moveset, there are a couple Sorcery and Miracle spells that have the player attack with magic materialised weapons. Sorcery that has the player attack with a giant Soul Greatsword, a Miracle that has the player attack with a frickin' Scythe(called the Lifehunt Scythe) and as mentioned, Lightning and Sunlight Spears.

As for the Final Smash....well, there are plenty of Pyromancy, Miracles and Sorcery spells that they can use that practically rains havoc upon the battlefield, like Gravelord Sword Dance, Firestorm/Fire Tempest/Chaos Storm, Divine Pillars of Light. But another thing that they can also use for the Final Smash is activating the "Final Bonfire", one of the Endings of Dark Souls 1, much like how Banjo has the Jinjonator. Or they could also have the Player summon Phantoms for the Final Smash, summoning phantom characters from the games, like Solaire of Astora, for a team attack.

On paper, Chosen Undead would be very very similar in concept to Hero, even if they make some of the spells they use different from Hero's spells. But I actually think I know something that can hugely differentiate them from Hero and other characters. The Parry mechanic.
The Parry mechanic in Dark Souls is one of the most remembered features of Dark Souls due to how frickin' satisfying it is to successfully land them, especially against tough foes and bosses. But as we know, there is a Parry mechanic in Smash for all characters. When the Shield button is pressed at the right time when an opponent's attack connects, you will flash, take no damage and you can attack quickly out of it.

But how about this for Chosen Undead's Parry Mechanic implemented in Smash? When you quickly press the Shield button for a parry, the Chosen Undead will do a Parry Shield bash in the direction they are facing. If the Chosen Undead successfully parries an attack, the foe is suddenly stunned for a second or a second and a half. During that period, the player playing the Chosen Undead will get a Button Prompt to press the Special Button. The player just needs to press the Special button with no direction input, like a Final Smash.
If they succeed at pressing the input, the Chosen Undead will do a Parry attack where the Chosen Undead will thrust their sword into the foe, dealing alot of damage to the foe and sending them flying. During this period, both the Chosen Undead and foe will not be hit by any attacks, meaning that other opponents cannot disrupt this, referring to the invincibility frames the Chosen Undead gets when doing a successful Parry Attack. The only requirements for this to happen is that the Chosen Undead MUST be facing the character they are parrying, meaning "back parries" will not activate and it does not activate from projectiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom