• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New York/New York City Power Rankings 2.25.2007

ace_marth

Smash Champion
bronx, ny (im up for any fights, if u intersested,
i wanna see a teams list too if thats possible.

i would like to make a couple changes in the list. one I would like to put alejandro higher. he deserves it. i wanna see WK higher too but that *** has to go to more tourny's lol. but he still should be raised at least one or two spots. im sure if Fab were to go to tournys like he used to he would easily be higher in the list but as of right now Every1 on the list go to tournaments more than u do. D1, idk about him lol. He's good but doesnt place too well. and im too tired cuz i just woke up and i gotta go to skiool lol. so ima say the rest later.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
State rankings should be based on overall skill, not tournament placings. That's what we have the sub-regionals for.

This allows players that are not as active to still be recognized as they should. IE: IMO Javier is better than I am, so he would be above me on our state's power ranking, but I place better than he does and I am active, so I am above him on the sub-regional.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I don't really agree with that, Cactuar. If you don't bother to compete in your own state, why should you be ranked? Ryoko is a perfect example of this. He hasn't competed in about half a year, but we all know he's skilled. Why should he be power ranked if he's not a tourny threat to anyone since he doesn't compete?

@ DJ Nintendo: *looks at Zenith results, remembers other results from the past when he used to compete in NY, remembers a certain story regarding a MM with LK*

Yeah, ok.

lionheart1

Smash Ace
in all honesty it should be everyone in NY in the NYC region - IMO including LI then the rest of NY. the competetion in the NYC area far beyond comparision to the rest of NY.

but powerrankings are a waste
-tim

lionheart1

Smash Ace
I don't really agree with that, Cactuar. If you don't bother to compete in your own state, why should you be ranked? Ryoko is a perfect example of this. He hasn't competed in about half a year, but we all know he's skilled. Why should he be power ranked if he's not a tourny threat to anyone since he doesn't compete?

@ DJ Nintendo: *looks at Zenith results, remembers other results from the past when he used to compete in NY, remembers a certain story regarding a MM with LK*

Yeah, ok.
stop posting so much. ur a waste
and get the hel! outta here.

The Bino

Smash Lord
ok a couple of things. alejandro and warrior knight are too low imo. N64 is way way way too low. reject is too low as well. i feel that stroms shouldnt be on the list. (when was the last tourny he went to?) baliey is too high. sol too low.
ehh i dont know about these list. i will have to see and check on the tournies again but like i said i think some people made this list out of bias and not facts. once again just my opinion but good job on getting the foundations of a list out.
I would have to agree on this whole heartedly I agree with everything that is highlighted

Bailey and DJ Nintendo are far too high.

D1 is too low.

Just an NJ n00b's take on it. XD
Nah sorry I agree with this 100% except for DJs part... I agree wit DJ 100% on his side, being how I've been to tourney's wit DJ and he def gets up there in the placings

mood4food77

Smash Hero
just remember, the list is changing constantly, so if you wanna be on it, work your *** off for it, stop crying about it, he said it's also who people played to get there, let's say person A and B tied in a tournament, but person went through lost to PC, beat bum, dire, D1, and bailey, and then lost to wes, while person B didn't face any of the same and got to the same point losing to wes, beating storms, barbino, and ky, and then losing to DJ nintendo

even though both placed the same in the tournament, player A had a much tougher time making it

heck, i could be on there but i don't go to many tournaments and i haven't proven myself really at them (alright...last in all of big ones), i've beaten 2 people on there and fought 3 others, putting up a fight

Bailey

Smash Hero
Yes this list here isn't permanent people this list is basically our trial list to see how the people react to it don't worry the list will never look the same twice in a row.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
You guys should just make a new list with the proper panelists (the rest of NY panelists) and without weird mishaps like Storms magically jumping above people. I still would like an explanation for that.

The Bino

Smash Lord
I second that notion from Nintendude... I think that the proper people from NY (Rest of NY) should be doing that list instead of 1-2 ppl being how certain people are being extremely biased on that list when some people shouldn't be on that list, or not be on the list as high as they are when other people have placed higher than them consistantly, and have much greater skill then them..... the reason why i am pointing out bout skill is cuz on the NYC list, it seems that skill went into factor when they put Bum above Wes, im saying that Wes has placed higher then Bum consecutively and been to more tourney's recently then him, but magically Bum is above Wes, i believe that SKILL went into consideration on that decision

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
no bum has placed above wes the last 3 tournies he has been to. wes go's to more tournies then bum does but eh everyone has there own opinions on who is placed where. i think some new people should go into this. i would volenteer but i am not going to be part of making a list that has bias in it. that is why i am content on being in the regional and sub regional panal because facts go into who is placed where. well see how the next list turns out.

BUM163

Smash Lord
ighttt i'm gonna settle everything right now.bar u first.yes wes goes 2 more tournaments yes we all that even though lately i been goin 2 tournaments n every tournament i been in i place top three which is y my overall rankin is high.wat ya not realizin is that skill is ur tournament placin.if pc chris didn't have skill would he b up there?if any of us didn't have skill would we b place?wes been in this game 4 years n if ya wanna go based on that then yes he belongs there all the way,but lately hez been doin bad not dissin him or any of the sort n everyone goes though that period of time.now fab u my boy but u haven't been tournaments in awhile unless serectly u been goin 2 otha tournaments n if so u need 2 let people know n show proof but u r real good even though u lost sum of the skill due 2 not training. killafox in front of nintendo is a no no that needs 2 b switch.no offense but wat the hell dik is doin up there that kid just came bak n quit 4 a bit so if u ask me no he shouldn't b there no offense 2 u guy.dire i luvz u but honestly wk been successfully provin himself time after time whether itz teams or singles n so should b third.dire may not do 2 great in teams but does do hiz thing in singles in which he should b fourth.if ya haven't notice i'm goin by overall performance by puttin teams n singles combine whcih i think makes things easier.reject is an underground player meanin hez good but no one reconigizes as much yet but 2 me he should b higher that guy has skillz.n havin one part just regular ny n then the rest of ny makes no sense just mish mash everyone makin it the top 30 or 25.i can totally understand y ya people complainin but instead of doin that just voice ur opinions 2 alex or even 2 me so i can talk 2 him how 2 fix it up but there has 2 b change witin that rankin **** is causin a ruckus

ace_marth

Smash Champion
ighttt i'm gonna settle everything right now.bar u first.yes wes goes 2 more tournaments yes we all that even though lately i been goin 2 tournaments n every tournament i been in i place top three which is y my overall rankin is high.wat ya not realizin is that skill is ur tournament placin.if pc chris didn't have skill would he b up there?if any of us didn't have skill would we b place?wes been in this game 4 years n if ya wanna go based on that then yes he belongs there all the way,but lately hez been doin bad not dissin him or any of the sort n everyone goes though that period of time.now fab u my boy but u haven't been tournaments in awhile unless serectly u been goin 2 otha tournaments n if so u need 2 let people know n show proof but u r real good even though u lost sum of the skill due 2 not training. killafox in front of nintendo is a no no that needs 2 b switch.no offense but wat the hell dik is doin up there that kid just came bak n quit 4 a bit so if u ask me no he shouldn't b there no offense 2 u guy.dire i luvz u but honestly wk been successfully provin himself time after time whether itz teams or singles n so should b third.dire may not do 2 great in teams but does do hiz thing in singles in which he should b fourth.if ya haven't notice i'm goin by overall performance by puttin teams n singles combine whcih i think makes things easier.reject is an underground player meanin hez good but no one reconigizes as much yet but 2 me he should b higher that guy has skillz.n havin one part just regular ny n then the rest of ny makes no sense just mish mash everyone makin it the top 30 or 25.i can totally understand y ya people complainin but instead of doin that just voice ur opinions 2 alex or even 2 me so i can talk 2 him how 2 fix it up but there has 2 b change witin that rankin **** is causin a ruckus
Thank u. lol.

killafox

Smash Lord
bronx, ny (im up for any competition, so if u wann
yo, thats exactly wat i was saying, i dont really care where im placed, all i know is im good and thats all i care about, thats y i didnt wanna be on the list. and no offense, but i think me and dj are the same, if anything i do better against him against certain people and vice-versa. but we always tie for placings. except for the past one cuz i had to lose my first 2 matches lol. (korean DJ, then warrioknight) but i did come out first seed in my pool with dire and tetra there. (beat hem both) no offense to anyone including the three mentioned.

and btw, i think im better than dire...and warrioknight is the second best in KF next to dave.

The Bino

Smash Lord
Aight BUM i wasn't trying to diss you in any way shape or form... I was just stating that I've seen Wes hit up more tourney's than you recently that's it... that's why i stated that Wes should be above you... I know that you're better than he is and when both of ya go to the same tourney you place higher than he does... which is where the controversy comes into play... I know that you got skill and deserve to be up on that list... but what i was stating was that just because this is being rated off of rankings, Wes going to more tourney's than you IMO would make hime just 1 rank above you which makes a lil bit more sense to me... and trust me I know how good Reject is dude, he's in my Crew so I know that he should be def up on that list, but then again i think that we'll just have to wait until more tourney's so this list gets fixed by the people who are on that list in general, that's how its only gonna get fixed, the players on that list are the ones who carry the weight on their shoulders to get themselves up higher on that list

Nintendude

Smash Hero
killafox you can't just decide to not be on the list. I'll quote Cort here, with his response to JBlaze when he (jokingly) said he didn't want to be on the list.:

It's not really anyone's choice to be on or off the list. Marcus, the only real way you could be removed is by retiring smash altogether. Otherwise, your will to participate in tournaments is enough to be considered for a ranking type list.

It would just be completely inaccurate and not worth putting effort into making if people could choose to be on or off it.

BUM163

Smash Lord
i know u wasn't dissin me.i'm just statin that if they goin based on how many tournaments he attend then ok hez been goin since like 1985 but if we goin based on recent then i'm up there 4 sure.anyone else wanna put in there opinions don't b scurred no one is immature here

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think we should stop debating placements for now. It's already pretty clear that the team of panelists was flawed, as lightxdream wasn't even involved in the NYC list (and I'm pretty sure he was a panelist) and the rest of NY list was mostly made by NYC smashers. For all we know the rankings may change to the way people want them to change after the proper panelists make the list.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
The first post states that the lists were made by Bailey, ace marth, killafox, and bum. If I'm not mistaken, 75% of those are from NYC. Bailey posted a few pages back that these are now the official panelists:

For NYC:
Ace Marth
Killa Fox
*Wow I forgot* Um will update (I think it is Alex)
For The Rest of NY:
Bailey
Sol
Phish-it

So, we should let these people remake the lists before we debate the rankings.

BUM163

Smash Lord
**** this is gonna turn into a war zone.yo u know people who r not in the lists please don't talk anymore.simple being ya tryin 2 fix things that ya not even in lol.no offense but if the person ya defendin really wants 2 b place in a different spot it should b the person in the list plain n simple.this arguin ain't goin nowhere n it just a waste of typin letters.if anything go complain 2 the people who did this directly instead of postin it.yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

ace_marth

Smash Champion
The first post states that the lists were made by Bailey, ace marth, killafox, and bum. If I'm not mistaken, 75% of those are from NYC. Bailey posted a few pages back that these are now the official panelists:

For NYC:
Ace Marth
Killa Fox
*Wow I forgot* Um will update (I think it is Alex)
For The Rest of NY:
Bailey
Sol
Phish-it

So, we should let these people remake the lists before we debate the rankings.

oh ok i see wat u sayin lol.

Inui- lol good ****.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Wow, this thread did become a war zone. There are basically 2 flaws within these rankings.

1. As mentioned before the panelists aren't even definite; Sol and Lightxdream were supposedly panelist when this thing came up, but didn't even take part in making them. Bailey mentioned me in his post for a panelist, and I'd be happy to help.

2. No one knows what to rank upon. People are debating over tournament placings, difficult brackets, teams placings, overall skill and activity.

What we need is a mission statement; a goal to reach for.

Now granted, tournament placings are an obvious thing to look out for, but they don't always tell the whole story.

Say 1st round of a tournament I vs. PC Chris, of course this'll send me to an early grave putting me in losers 1st round. Then while in losers say I face wes, who of course takes me out of the tournament all together, giving me n abysmal placing at the very bottom.

Chances are, people worse than me will place higher; but only by beating bad players. Does this mean they are better than me? No, almost everyone on the 2 lists would lose to PC and Wes.

This is why I suggest people start using Nealdt's tournament organizer which can be found here. This program gives a segment of each player, showing who they beat, and lost to. Which is more important than tournament placing.

Another thing to judge by is skill. I like when Bum pointed out that tournament placing is skill; however, skill isn;t tournament placing when you don't participate in tournaments.

Which brings up activity. People mentioned Wes should be higher than BUM becasue he goes to more tournaments, and places high. (Even though Bum usually places higher than Wes).

There is only one problem....

Power rankings don' aren't based off on who goes to the most tournaments.

So instead of fighting in vain amongst each other, lets come up with a goal and work this over again.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it should be tournament placement, who they versed to get there, and how big the tournament is

this is a huge exaggerration but let's say i go to an MLG and win, beating out ken, chu dat, PC, m2k, and KDJ, along with a bunch of other people (yes big exaggeration but you'll get the point)

now let's say phish-it (you're right above me, just an example) goes to let's say a KOTC, it's a big tournament but not an MLG, and let's jsut say he wins while facing the same people that i did, beating them all, but he had 2 less fights than i did and they were newbs

now while we beat the same pros, i faced more people in a larger tournament and won compared to phish-it's win at a smaller tournament, only if i was one of the people he beat would he be placed higher

kind of get what i'm saying here

lionheart1

Smash Ace
Ok, Mr. Most People.
I don't know what thats suppose to mean! Sorry I dont check smashboards enough to know everyones reputation. If you have a reputation for commenting useless things such as: "Ok, Mr. Most People" then theres an obvious reason I've never head of u. Sorry, I guess your reputation isnt as large as you have hoped for!

To be honest I saw that you average like 20 posts perday, and ur from new jersey in a NY thread.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
You guys should have waited until I posted some of the matchups that happened at Zenith. Results aren't clear cut: you need to know who faced whom in the bracket.

I'll post some of those matchups with the people on the list, and I suggest looking over that data before jumping forward to make another list. Take your time with it.

Bloody_Falcon

Smash Journeyman
lol i made #15 w/o doing anything special yes!!!!! im gonna start entering single tournies once i get money. Ill make sure to get 1st in Nyc lol.

Zeke_

Smash Journeyman
Ok first off, i believe i should be up there. well w/e now

Also the list seems somewhat biased only because theres alot of kf members and 2 of the judges are from kf. No offense, i know theyre all amazing players but there are other people who deserve to be up there as well.

In my opinion i believe this list is more of a popularity contest.

This is just my opinion, i hope i didnt offend anyone
srry if i did

mood4food77

Smash Hero
first things first, bailey is not upstate new york, no where close, we're lower than NYC, they're just out in the water over there, we're by jersey

Zeke_

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what thats suppose to mean! Sorry I dont check smashboards enough to know everyones reputation. If you have a reputation for commenting useless things such as: "Ok, Mr. Most People" then theres an obvious reason I've never head of u. Sorry, I guess your reputation isnt as large as you have hoped for!

To be honest I saw that you average like 20 posts perday, and ur from new jersey in a NY thread.

lmao 20 posts a day! insane

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
These are some of the more noteworthy NY players that showed up at Zenith. If you want matchups for other NY players, let me know and I'll compile the data.

PC Chris (1st)

Defeated X
Defeated Cactuar
Defeated Hayato
Defeated KoreanDJ
Defeated KoreanDJ

Wes (5th)

Lost to Eve
Defeated Sexy
Defeated Tag
Defeated Ryan K
Defeated WarriorKnight
Defeated Reject
Defeated Cactuar
Lost to KoreanDJ

Dire (25th)

Defeated Cyco
Lost to KoreanDJ
Lost to Brookman

Tetra (7th)

Defeated Sneak
Defeated Tag
Lost to Eve
Defeated Van
Defeated Brookman
Defeated Cort
Lost to Hayato

Alejandro (5th)

Defeated Hax
Defeated Dave
Defeated AceMarth
Lost to Eve
Lost to Hayato

DJ Nintendo (17th)

Lost to Hayato
Defeated Sneak
Lost to Dave

WarriorKnight (13th)

Lost to Roga
Defeated Harvey Birdman
Defeated DIK
Defeated Killafox
Lost to Wes

Killafox (17th)

Defeated Eli
Lost to KoreanDJ
Lost to WarriorKnight

AceMarth (9th)

Defeated Copycat
Defeated ZoSo
Lost to Alejandro
Lost to Cactuar

Also Inui: It's been requested for you to mind your own business. I haven't seen you in the NY scene for awhile, and the NY scene does not want you posting here. If you don't stop posting, I can make you. This is your final warning.

If anyone else has any problems with the list or the process itself, you come talk to me, and I can give you suggestions on what to do. This is why I'm here in the first place. I'm trusting the panelists of NY to do their job correctly.

D1

Banned via Administration
>_>

I wish I went to the Zenith...

... *sigh* so much training, practice...for nothing...

question Woz if I enter a slew of outta state tourneys and place well...will it still count to my rankings?

(Not like I really care or anything just wanted to know.)

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I think it should have an affect somewhat, depending on where you go. Things like that tend to affect the subregional/regional lists more than the state list, however.

>_>

I wish I went to the Zenith...

... *sigh* so much training, practice...for nothing...

question Woz if I enter a slew of outta state tourneys and place well...will it still count to my rankings?

(Not like I really care or anything just wanted to know.)

Thats a good question.

Well, you guys have to set the rules of the placings. What counts, and how much each part counts in percent, for example tournmanet placing 50 percent, skill 25 percent, the people you win/lose to 25 percent or something like that. If anything, the list will get better.

Orjust put me and bombsoldier as number one and forget about it.

Top Bottom