• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Character to be Revealed at The Game Awards

smash invite.jpg

Today Nintendo confirmed that the next character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be revealed at The Game Awards.

This will not be the first time a Smash character reveal has happened at The Game Awards, as the 2018 event revealed Joker from Persona 5. The 2019 TGAs did not have a Smash reveal to the disappointment of many, so it is good to have confirmation on the matter. Unlike the 2018 Joker reveal which was a complete surprise, this is the first time Nintendo has confirmed a major Smash reveal for the TGAs.

Similar to other entertainment events like the Oscars and the Emmy, The Game Awards is the premier award show for all things relating to video games. Witch each year, the show has seemingly gotten bigger in terms of reveals and guest appearances. You can watch the awards live today on 12/10/20 at 4pm PT/7pm EST. You can view it here when it airs.

Author’s Note: Who do you think will be revealed at The Game Awards? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

I feel like this could be one of three things:

a) Geoff Keighley (the host/exec. producer) is "subtly" hinting at who the next character will be

b) he's messing with people

c) he has no idea who it is (I feel like people would be kept in the dark on this unless it's absolutely necessary), and he's just saying who he thinks it will be

It could probably go either way, but I figure it's worth mentioning in case the reveal winds up being the character in question.

I believe we could be seeing Geno or Hayabusa tonight. But I also lowkey believe we could see Porky if he's in because of Reggie being and Mother 3 possibly being announced alongside a Porky fighter yada yada.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's going to be either Crash Bandicoot, Dante, or Doomguy - it's hard to be sure (it's not like we have a pattern of Game Awards reveals to go on), but I figure that whoever the character is, they'll be from a game that was a huge hit either this year or last year.

Last edited:
Don't be Fortnite, don't be Fortnite, don't be Fortnite....
I'm not going to be opposed to Jonesy, but at the same time I'd rather him not get in. There are too many other characters I want.
Also, I think it'll be something unexpected. At least that's my guess.

Last edited:
Literally almost any Sonic character besides Shadow and I'll be happy.

Crash I would love to see if the above isn't possible.

I will probably be one of the 7 people on the earth who won't get mad if Jonesy gets in.

They actually told us in advance this time? Well, all character announcements come with salt obviously, but at least they avoided both an announcement out of nowhere (for people like me who missed the initial Joker reveal) and, uh, people not really knowing what's gonna happen with the risk of nothing happening (Remember last time? Not a pretty sight).

As for who it is... uh at this point I don't really care who it is. I already got most of who I want in the game. Given it's in the Game Awards though, it might be someone popular (AKA, not a niche pick or another FE rep, lol). We'll see, I guess.

Last edited:
They actually told us in advance this time? Well, all character announcements come with salt obviously, but at least they avoided both an announcement out of nowhere (for people like me who missed the initial Joker reveal) and, uh, people not really knowing what's gonna happen with the risk of nothing happening (Remember last time? Not a pretty sight).

As for who it is... uh at this point I don't really care who it is. I already got most of who I want in the game. Given it's in the Game Awards though, it might be someone popular. We'll see, I guess.
I suppose it begrudgingly gives me a reason to tune in, or at least keep an eye open as reveals flood in. I was just telling my brother yesterday that I've been burned enough times with reveal events that I was content to just not pay attention to the game awards as I have better things to do. Chances are good I'll be online as things drop anyway and I know gaming news sites and channels like IGN try their darndest to upload trailers and reveals literal seconds after they're announced, so odds are I'll see the reveals more or less in real time anyway as trailers get uploaded while I'm doing something else.

Here's hoping there's at least one other thing to get excited for in the game awards. Smash is neat but I'd be pleasantly surprised to see something else I'm interested in, Nintendo or otherwise.

Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash
Please let it be Crash

Seriously, Crash vs Mario vs Sonic would be a headline

get ready for the salt
Yep. Literally, no matter who it is, people will be salty. "Nintendo again insulting the (Character here) fanbase and giving us a slap in the face!" lol. I'd love to see another Nintendo character, and/or an existing franchise get another rep. But considering the last few characters, it seems more likely we'll be getting another character from a newer game, and I'm guessing 3rd party. But I've already got what I want so I'll be happy no matter who it is.

Yep. Literally, no matter who it is, people will be salty. "Nintendo again insulting the (Character here) fanbase and giving us a slap in the face!" lol. I'd love to see another Nintendo character, and/or an existing franchise get another rep. But considering the last few characters, it seems more likely we'll be getting another character from a newer game, and I'm guessing 3rd party. But I've already got what I want so I'll be happy no matter who it is.
It could possibly be a stranger nobody knows.

Last edited:
Is this a coincidence or not? https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1337064811558019076 I hope it's not Fire Emblem.
tbh part of me wants it to be a FE character just so I can watch the ****ing nuclear meltdown the Smash community will have because of it

But I really don't expect any of the remaining DLC characters to be Fire Emblem ones, I think that they understand the situation.

I could possibly be a stranger nobody knows.
Could be anyone really. Never really bothered with trying to predict who's gonna be the next DLC character myself when there's literally thousands of characters for the devs to pick from, and never any real evidence pointing to who's the most likely candidates.

outside of my own potential dream picks, which I've long since accepted that they're pipe dreams, I REALLY don't care who they pick for next DLC anymore...it's not because I don't like the game, it's just a long time of disappointment and Nintendo's going out of their way to screw the competitive Smash community (and Splatoon by extension for supporting us) from adapting to current times.

they've long since lost my trust, and a possible new DLC fighter isn't enough to really win me back... hell, even one of my dream picks making it might not be enough... Ultimate (preferrably Nintendo Online in general, but that's aiming too high) will need to be promised rollback netcode in the near future and Slippi given official endorsement and/or MAYBE a potential deal to be struck with the creators before I will have hope for the company again... but we all know how that route ends.

Could be anyone really. Never really bothered with trying to predict who's gonna be the next DLC character myself when there's literally thousands of characters for the devs to pick from, and never any real evidence pointing to who's the most likely candidates.
I meant to say that the character could possibly be an obscure stranger nobody knows.

Last edited:
I can be upset at Nintendo’s recent actions but also be hyped by their products and future plans. The way I see it, their actions involving the competitive community is a an issue with consumer relations, marketing, and Nintendo’s legal section and teams. These actions, in my point of view, having no bearing with the development studios and teams who put forth these products and do think these should be valued and appreciated. That being said, I wasn’t expecting a character announcement at the TGAS but I’m hyped.

PAPERBOY HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! DELIVER THOSE SMASH INVITATIONS AND THEN GRAB ONE FOR YOURSELF, YOU HARDWORKING KID!!!!

Last edited:
I can be upset at Nintendo’s recent actions but also be hyped by their products and future plans. The way I see it, their actions involving the competitive community is a matter on consumer relations, marketing, and legal teams. These actions, in my point of view, having no bearing with the development studios and teams who put forth these products and do think these should be valued and appreciated. That being said, I wasn’t expecting a character announcement at the TGAS but I’m hyped.

PAPERBOY HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! DELIVER THOSE SMASH INVITATIONS AND THEN GRAB ONE FOR YOURSELF, YOU HARDWORKING KID!!!!
2 hours to go!

Who I fear: Bandana Dee

Who I’m expecting: Jonsey

Who I low key want: Sol Badguy

Who I really want: Doomguy

Who I want but I won’t get: Scorpion

Master Class Pick: Paperboy

Breaking Game Awards: Master Chief

Top Bottom