• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I'm just wondering how Layton would work in Smash Bros. I bet his final smash would involve a Puzzel that the other smashers must try to solve and if they are wrong/take too long, it's an automatic KO.
a good idea but I see a problem when the puzzle will inevitable start repeating themselves and will be 2 easy to solve and never go off

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm just wondering how Layton would work in Smash Bros. I bet his final smash would involve a Puzzel that the other smashers must try to solve and if they are wrong/take too long, it's an automatic KO.
I think Tsubame posted a fully in-depth moveset over him, it looks very interesting indeed, I'm guess it's based on puzzles and such, I think.

I'll look for the link if you want.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I see Layton as a mind game character.

"This reminds me of a puzzle." "Oops, I'm afraid you didn't solve the puzzle." *KOs*

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'd have the same reaction as seeing Snake.".What?"
But the kind of what that makes you cry. Sort of like when a girl squeals "Whhhat!?" after getting proposed to. Yeah. . . I would scream what too.

Seeing Hex reminds me of the old days at NSider. I got carpal tunnel symptoms from killing so much time there. I remember suggesting the idea of playing as Samus outside of her suit and no one thought it would happen.
Seriously, for a good like eight months my life revolved around that site. I suggested Lucario there at one point. For some reason no one was talking about him.

Steam

Smash Hero
because no one likes lucario.

srs response: I don't think anyone would be talking about zoroark if lucario hadn't been put into brawl. I honestly never expected lucario in brawl as much as I favored him xD

OmegaXXII

Snake vs. Geno?

Geno isn't a WTF like Snake was, he's just a wanted character whose already popular amongst Nintendo fanboys, Snake wasn't expected whatsoever since his ties and represention of games were closer to Sony's at the
time, though this time around since there seems to be little hype about him, like this thread for example, then he might somewhat shock the whole Smadh community, I sure would be stunned to learn since I'm really expecting Megaman or Layton as the 3rd party rep. for Smash 4.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I see Layton as a mind game character.

"This reminds me of a puzzle." "Oops, I'm afraid you didn't solve the puzzle." *KOs*
Isn't Layton a Nintendo Character anyway (not by origin)? Heavily promoted and published by Nintendo, Movie made by Nintendo. Always mentioned with other Nintendo Characters. Nintendo Only appearances.

At least he is a Nintendo character for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is in ssbu

OmegaXXII

If you read that article, he'll most likely be considered at one point or another, I wouldn't worry so much, even he he does happen to be a 3rd party character by Level-5.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
If you guys are so smart,why don't you guys support Goku for Smash4?Come on.If you think one of these bull**** characters can make it in,then why not a popular anime character?
People who support a character(like Toad :troll:) who has already been given thought of being put in a Smash game.
Or
People who support a (almost) completely new character idea that will surely make this new SSB have sky-rocketing sales.

(inbe4retardstry2raiseagruement :awesome:)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Snake vs. Geno?

Geno isn't a WTF like Snake was, he's just a wanted character whose already popular amongst Nintendo fanboys, Snake wasn't expected whatsoever since his ties and represention of games were closer to Sony's at the
time, though this time around since there seems to be little hype about him, like this thread for example, then he might somewhat shock the whole Smadh community, I sure would be stunned to learn since I'm really expecting Megaman or Layton as the 3rd party rep. for Smash 4.
Geno would be just as big of a WTF because no one expects him. He has a massive following, we just don't talk about him, because we don't expect him. I know of at least four other people on this thread who like him. Which is a decent amount considering how much of a random character he is. Don't underestimate the Geno fans.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
All this Geno talk must really upset Mallow. Poor fella. He's gonna cry up a storm. Noone ever requests him.

Dunno, I never played Super Mario RPG, so I don't really get the one-time appeal. Why ask for one and not the other?

Chris the Ripper

Geno would be just as big of a WTF because no one expects him. He has a massive following, we just don't talk about him, because we don't expect him. I know of at least four other people on this thread who like him. Which is a decent amount considering how much of a random character he is. Don't underestimate the Geno fans.

See thats where you're wrong.Geno was expected since Melee.

OmegaXXII

If you guys are so smart,why don't you guys support Goku for Smash4?Come on.If you think one of these bull**** characters can make it in,then why not a popular anime character?Who do you think will catch Sakurai's squinty eyes first;
People who support a character(like Toad :troll:) who has already been given thought of being put in a Smash game.
Or
People who support a (almost) completely new character idea that will surely make this new SSB have sky-rocketing sales.

(inbe4retardstry2raiseagruement :awesome:)
You want Goku in Smash 4 so bad? Goku himself know he doesn't stand a chance to even be considered, therefore he thinks you are a...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Isn't One Piece more popular in Japan now anyway.

So anyway, if Geno gets in we better have a Boshi alternate costume for Yoshi. We'd also get Beware the Forest Mushrooms for music... Maybe a stage? Mallow AT? SMRPG everywhere.

OmegaXXII

Hey again guys. Finished a blog post. Figured out that blogs here get all sorts of errors in Chrome. -_-

An SSB4 Story Proposal: Going Back to Basics

These are some of my thoughts for SSB4's story and adventure mode. Let me know what you think if you read it.
Yay!! ^_^

I will take a look at it, I shall post my thoughts as soon as i'm done reading, looking forward to it. :)

OmegaXXII

Master Hand/CrazyHand and Giga Bowser should all become playable rather then hacking it, or being part of a Final Smash.

Giygas would totally work as the greatest, most ultimate SSE boss ever, he would totally be invincible and such, almost god-like.

@Chris: Nope, you a derp, derp. Look at that Goku pic, that's a derp. :p

Kantrip

Kantplay
Master Hand should still be the final boss.

The final boss should NOT be from a different series, it should be a smash bros original character.

Smash Bros needs an original character that can be playable.

There is nothing wrong with unlocking the final boss of a fighting game.

Giga Bowser doesn't need to become playable, as Mario has enough competition as is.

Super Smash Brothers currently has 0 representation on ITS OWN ROSTER.

D

Deleted member

Hey Hex, got your PM. If you still need help, I'll respond tonight after work.

Also, awesome you work in the gaming industry.

Chris the Ripper

A guy works for an awesome game industry?AWESOME!:awesome:

@OmegaDerp "No U" ends all conversations.Deal with it. :troll:

OmegaXXII

@Crimson: Why u mad? :(

I was only suggesting the idea for fun, I wasn't being completly series, bosses like Tabuu would be great indeed, perhaps a last part that connects to Master Hand would be nice.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Sorry :(

I'm not mad, I just had a lot to say at once and put it all in quick sentences. It does sound kind of cold reading it again, that wasn't my intention.

My apologies.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
And please... none of the Galleom crap.

Y'know, boss characters should be another aspect of Smash bros that people get excited about. And they should all be Nintendo franchise characters, not the silly Subspace Emissary original bosses.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Let's see... I think a dynamic story would be a good thing to implement. Y'know, branching paths and what not. Increase replay value. Perhaps that would be something best suited on the 3DS version.

I agree that the story should use the differing universes represented in Smash. How about... You choose one out of five different starting points. Each point would start you out with a different character (Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Fox?). After you finish that first level, you get to choose what world you will next help out. For example, you're Mario and you can either go to Hyrule and help Link or Pop Star to help Kirby. If you go to Hyrule, Kirby won't get the help he needs so maybe you lose the ability to use him later in the story. BAD GUYS GOT HIM OR SOMETHING. OH, and if you lose, I suppose that should also be part of the story. Fail to even help out your own world in the beginning, well, maybe Mario doesn't save Luigi or something so you don't get to use him later on.

The story would be the same no matter which point you chose to start with. Where you decide to go just lets you see different parts of the story, and effect what characters you get to use. I suppose the end goal would always be the same? Maybe it would change depending on how many worlds you saved. Let's see.. assuming it's a 50 slot roster... 5 starting points, 10 "levels", 3 paths to take each time you win... I BET THAT IS A LOT OF PLAYTHROUGHS.

Oh, maybe the character you choose would effect the difficulty as well? From easiest to hardest: Kirby, Pikachu, Mario, Fox, Link.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I can't speak for Jr. but I was surprise myself that Krystal didn't make it. I was almost certain she was demanded more on Smashboards then Wolf. A staff fighter would be a really unique character and it would be hard to not over power her. Not to mention about how her telepathy could be used.

As for Adventure Mode I don't care about the unlocking all the characters (though I do want rewards for beating certain things) but I want the environment a merging of the Nintendo worlds. I don't want some generic trophy world but instead Hyrule, Mushroom Kingdom, Angel Land, etc. I want them to find portals that leads them to different worlds.
Although I don't have a source, I remember hearing that after Sakurai noticed Krystal's popularity, he admitted to never knowing anything about until then - basically, he never knew she even existed.

Which kind of puts a dent in one's faith in the Nintendo knowledge this guy has, but he did choose Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. as playable characters, so who knows.

As for Adventure Mode, I think most everyone agrees that if Adventure Mode returns with it's Brawl fanciness, it should feature all Nintendo characters and locations. The only person who argues against it is Disfunk, but he looks at it from a developer's viewpoint (that combining so many distinct concepts together is difficult).

I don't think Adventure Mode should serve for unlocking characters. I found it more fun to unlock the characters in Melee than Brawl.
This.

Adventure Mode was made to be treated seriously, even though the story itself fell flat. I don't want it to return and be treated again as just some way to unlock all characters as painlessly as possible. Put some effort in to get those characters!

I liked Strife. To me, it goes with competitive feel the next game supposedly has. This isn't a tea party, this is a fight to the death.
I'd like Strife to be the name of SSB4.

• Melee: Controlled fight with set rules
    Brawl: Chaotic fight that has lost it's rules
    Strife: Brutal fight to the death, no running away or hiding

That's why I like it. It creates a sort of running pattern in terms of names.

I find it rather odd that the Koopalings didn't get a lot of cameos. Ludwig got his sticker, but that's it.

Smash Wii U should implement the Koopalings in some way. Trophies, stage cameos, anything to represent them.

I could see the Koopalings as bosses in Adventure Mode, but that'd be a lot of Koopaling levels. Plus, the Koopalings have traditionally been found in towers and castles, and unless each fortress is completely unique, I can see a lot of repetition.

Personally, I think the whole "World of Trophies" concept should be entirely written out. I think some kind of world merging event would be much better. As for bosses, I think it should be

King Boo
Supermassive Bowser (like the final boss from Yoshi's Island)
Tiki Tong
Dyna Blade
Gohma
N or Giovanni
Phantoon
Andross
Gigyas
Dr. Eggman
Psycho Mantis
Master Hand and Crazy Hand
Some kind of new "big bad"
Good list. Personally, I think Giygas is too awesome to be some normal boss, yet as CrimsonFeint has said, no basic Nintendo franchise should have the right to the final boss fight. In this case, I'd rather Giygas just be left out - too awesome to not be the final boss, but not deserving enough to be it at the same time. Porky was a decent boss for the Mother series, at least.

If we get a different Mother boss, though, I want...

[COLLAPSE=...the New Age Retro Hippie!]
[/COLLAPSE]

Super Smash Bros. Foreplay?
:rotfl:

No one likes Clash?
It rhymes with Smash. I don't like it.

Worst reasoning in the world. :p But Clash just sounds really generic to me.

Man... I feeling like it's too late to join the discussion. XP

I posted a thread about this at Nsider2, but I think the story for SSB4 needs to revive the concepts started in SSB64. But given the hundreds of thousands of posts, I'm sure somebody else has expressed this sentiment already.
So apparently you were big during the Brawl days? I was just a forum stalker during that period. Nevertheless, welcome back. :)

I feel like the concept of Melee would be the best to revive considering Trophies are used all the time now. Although I doubt the "story" will ever go back to being that simple. We know that this SSB3DS is likely to have another SSE type mode where we can level-up and customize out characters, so seeing the simple story/concept of "this kid likes to play with his toys in his room!" probably won't happen.
I agree that out of the three games, Melee's concept should be used. However, Hex now made that awesome post on how reviving the concept behind SSB64 would be cool, and I also agree to him.

Hey again guys. Finished a blog post. Figured out that blogs here get all sorts of errors in Chrome. -_-

An SSB4 Story Proposal: Going Back to Basics

These are some of my thoughts for SSB4's story and adventure mode. Let me know what you think if you read it.
Awesome blog. I love those ideas.

Hmm... I actually did personally write for myself a story for an SSB4 Adventure mode back then. It was very incomplete, but it had some nice background and good elements to itself. You guys mind if I revive some of it's few remaining passages? (I'd need to re-write them probably)

Super Smash Brothers currently has 0 representation on ITS OWN ROSTER.
And why does it need to represent itself with a character?

I agree that the final boss shouldn't be from another franchise, but I don't think the series needs to represent itself; it already does an awesome job of that by being what it is - a crossover of Nintendo characters and universes new and old.

Giygas would totally work as the greatest, most ultimate SSE boss ever, he would totally be invincible and such, almost god-like.
My ideas have caught on to you, aye? ;)

EDIT:
Let's see... I think a dynamic story would be a good thing to implement. Y'know, branching paths and what not. Increase replay value. Perhaps that would be something best suited on the 3DS version.

I agree that the story should use the differing universes represented in Smash. How about... You choose one out of five different starting points. Each point would start you out with a different character (Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Fox?). After you finish that first level, you get to choose what world you will next help out. For example, you're Mario and you can either go to Hyrule and help Link or Pop Star to help Kirby. If you go to Hyrule, Kirby won't get the help he needs so maybe you lose the ability to use him later in the story. BAD GUYS GOT HIM OR SOMETHING. OH, and if you lose, I suppose that should also be part of the story. Fail to even help out your own world in the beginning, well, maybe Mario doesn't save Luigi or something so you don't get to use him later on.

The story would be the same no matter which point you chose to start with. Where you decide to go just lets you see different parts of the story, and effect what characters you get to use. I suppose the end goal would always be the same? Maybe it would change depending on how many worlds you saved. Let's see.. assuming it's a 50 slot roster... 5 starting points, 10 "levels", 3 paths to take each time you win... I BET THAT IS A LOT OF PLAYTHROUGHS.

Oh, maybe the character you choose would effect the difficulty as well? From easiest to hardest: Kirby, Pikachu, Mario, Fox, Link.
Dang it, now I have to post a summary of what I want for Adventure Mode. :p

But seriously, I will...

But in regards to your starting point idea, I think Samus would be better than Fox. Metroid has done more for Nintendo, IMO, than Star Fox has.

Kantrip

Kantplay
It would just be nice for a fighting series that has come up with so many original characters to allow us to play as at least one of them, don't you think?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
But in regards to your starting point idea, I think Samus would be better than Fox. Metroid has done more for Nintendo, IMO, than Star Fox has.
I was just going by series with the most characters. Donkey Kong could probably work too if we got K. Rool. I guess I'm not really sure who the Pokemon villain would be, actually. Lol. Zoroark I guess (SORRY SSBF). I figure you would fight through some level (a side-scroller like SSE at heart, but I would like some gimmicks involved to make them feel more like the world you're actually in. Also, y'know. Good.) TO SAVE YOUR FRIEND (another starting character from that particular world). Cue cutscene, villain escapes - revealing some plot point that allows you to travel to other worlds, aaand you and your bud decide which world to help next.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Can we not derp between the hours of Noon, and Midnight? Like, at 3 in the morning, when intellegent conversations aren't usually going on is a good time.

SMRPG:

Playable character: Geno
Assist Trophy: Mallow
Stage: Mushroom Forest or Bowser's Castle
Boss: Exor
Trophies: Geno, Mallow, Smithy, Boshi, (All Playable characters on a single trophy), Exor, that Crocodile Robber, and possibly that guy who has a castle and looks like a norse god mixed with Wario? I haven't played this game for like three years.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Although I don't have a source, I remember hearing that after Sakurai noticed Krystal's popularity, he admitted to never knowing anything about until then - basically, he never knew she even existed.

Which kind of puts a dent in one's faith in the Nintendo knowledge this guy has, but he did choose Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. as playable characters, so who knows.

As for Adventure Mode, I think most everyone agrees that if Adventure Mode returns with it's Brawl fanciness, it should feature all Nintendo characters and locations. The only person who argues against it is Disfunk, but he looks at it from a developer's viewpoint (that combining so many distinct concepts together is difficult).
I've heard that rumor too but I think it's bull. If that was true then how come not only do we have her as a trophy, but she does a voiced cameo in Fox, Falco, and Wolf's special taunt.

Now I know it's pretty difficult to know everything about Nintendo games. I'm more familiar with a lot of NES games then I am with new games. I don't know much about Bowser Jr. like I do the Koopalings. I think that's why everyone has different rosters because of the different games they have played.

OmegaXXII

Can we not derp between the hours of Noon, and Midnight? Like, at 3 in the morning, when intellegent conversations aren't usually going on is a good time.

SMRPG:

Playable character: Geno
Assist Trophy: Mallow
Stage: Mushroom Forest or Bowser's Castle
Boss: Exor
Trophies: Geno, Mallow, Smithy, Boshi, (All Playable characters on a single trophy), Exor, that Crocodile Robber, and possibly that guy who has a castle and looks like a norse god mixed with Wario? I haven't played this game for like three years.

Hey, that's a nice recommendation you have there, it seems you have some knowledge over this, what would exir look like? Any music recommendations? It seems a popular character such as Geno would surely have some knid of memorable theme himself.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I was just going by series with the most characters. Donkey Kong could probably work too if we got K. Rool. I guess I'm not really sure who the Pokemon villain would be, actually. Lol. Zoroark I guess (SORRY SSBF). I figure you would fight through some level (a side-scroller like SSE at heart, but I would like some gimmicks involved to make them feel more like the world you're actually in. Also, y'know. Good.) TO SAVE YOUR FRIEND (another starting character from that particular world). Cue cutscene, villain escapes - revealing some plot point that allows you to travel to other worlds, aaand you and your bud decide which world to help next.
Mewtwo. Enough said.

But Donkey Kong is also another Nintendo series that could get the spot. Might as well just add them both so we have this:
Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus

Anyways, I'm not going to make a big post for what I want for Adventure mode, but these bullet points summarize my ideas:
  • Better, More-Nintendo-Focused Story: This is pretty much agreed upon. The question is, how would this be implemented?
  • Play as Each Character in Each Character's Part of the Story: Basically, when you select the Adventure mode option in the menu, you go to the character selection screen and choose a character. Then you play Adventure Mode, but only from the experience of that particular character. So if you choose Pit, you only play his part of the story; you don't get sidetracked by whatever Mario is doing on the other side of the world. There would be a limit to how far you can go with a single character, and once that limit is passed, you can continue with that character. But I have no idea how this would be implemented.
  • Unlockables: I lopped all these features into one category. There are numerous unlockables peppered throughout Adventure mode - some you gain by just completing a level, but others are found through different means. Sometimes you have to do a side-quest given to you by a non-playable Nintendo character to be rewarded. Other times you'll need to explore a level top-to-bottom to find the little secrets. This feature would greatly increase the re-playability of Adventure Mode by encouraging players to find all the various unlockables.
  • Cameo Appearances by Non-Playable Characters: Marth and Caeda sharing a tender moment before Marth separates to begin his quest. Encountering K.K. Slider along a barren trail playing one of his tunes. Seeing Pokemon actually run through the thick grasses of the Kanto region. Waluigi attempting to beat up his rival Luigi before Mario kicks his *** out of town. I don't think this needs much more explaining for it's potential.
  • Side-Quests: Again, another feature that can greatly expand the re-playability and appeal of Adventure Mode. For example, guide a lost Nintendog through the level back to it's owner. Or translate ancient scriptures that describe the story of a lost civilization using Samus's visor. These side-quests would include unlockables as rewards, of course. For example, for guiding the Nintendog home, you gain it as an Assist Trophy in normal play.
  • Secret Areas: Pretty self-explanatory. In levels featuring Zelda characters, for example, you can find Hidden Grottoes underneath the level that contain small enemy encounters and an unlockable as a reward.
  • Mix of More Lighthearted and Darker Tones: The story can start somewhat lighthearted, more akin to the concept behind SSB64. Some humor is perfect; for example, Ness attempting to attack an opponent with PK Fire, but accidentally lighting Luigi's pants on fire and making him run panicked. But as the story progresses, it increases in darkness until it becomes darker than Brawl's story ever was. At it's darkest, for example, a vision of what a Nintendo apocalypse would look like; an emotional and dark concept that should be handled much like the emotionally-gripping incinerator scene in Toy Story 3.

That's all I can think of for now.

EDIT:
  • Make It Only Unlocked Once the Player Has Unlocked Every Character: All-Star Mode can replace Adventure Mode as the other major available-at-start mode, and can develop and grow as the player unlocks characters to show the player's progress. This prevents Adventure Mode from being just some cheap way to unlock characters and would make it something very much worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom