• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
ONe thing that i do hope stays the same is how the character select screen is layed out. Whenever I make a roster, I always get creative which is something I hope Sakurai doesn't do.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
@omega: very good rebuttle I see your point but sakurai also chooses characters on what new a character could bring to the table which shadow and tells while popular would prob just end up being similar to sonic. Tails is very likly since he could be different I just think eggman is more iconic to sega and nintendo and is the best fit for this type of game.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Oooh, that's a good one for Pokemon. I had just now thought you could make it into a sort of... sneaking game (lol). Y'know, trying to avoid trainers' eyes! If a trainer were to see you, they'll send out their Pokemon to attack. Could probably combine the two. Even the random encounters thing could be worked into it, lol.

And about what Star said, I think each version would do better to have both a single and multiplayer aspect about them. WiiU could get something pretty much like SSE 2 - linear, little replay-value. Whereas the 3DS gets something you can just pick up and enjoy and play over and over. So, WiiU has the STORY mode, and 3DS has the... uh... Adventure mode? Both can have Classic and All-Star.

As for online, obviously the WiiU version needs a VERY ROBUST online service, while the 3DS could probably get by having something similar to Brawl's.

I dunno. I think that'd be best, but I'm not sure if it's something to expect, lol.
(Pokemon Trainer navigates Charizard through level. Bug Catcher sees Charizard)

"!"

(Bug Catcher approaches Charizard)

"You looked at me funny! Let's battle!"

(Cue Pokemon encounter music) :awesome:

Anyways, I've also thought of that idea for Adventure Mode on the two versions, and it would be the perfect way to handle it collectively. 3DS's version is replayable, Wii U's version is fancy. I agree with the rest of your ideas for the differences between the game modes for the version, as well.

Hmm, for any bonus level in Adventure Mode, how about give something like this treatment for all character bonus levels? Forget if it is in line with the level you previously fought in, let it represent the franchise the character hails from.

On a different tangent, remember how Toon Link, Wolf, and Jigglypuff had their own custscenes before you fought them in Adventure Mode? What if is was applied to all hidden characters before you fought them in any mode?

How do pre-battle cutscenes before encountering any hidden character sound?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@omega: very good rebuttle I see your point but sakurai also chooses characters on what new a character could bring to the table which shadow and tells while popular would prob just end up being similar to sonic. Tails is very likly since he could be different I just think eggman is more iconic to sega and nintendo and is the best fit for this type of game.
How would Eggman be unique? Tails can also be just as unique, after all he does seems to be good with gadgets and such, I'm just curious as to why you say Dr. Eggman would be unique.

:phone:

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
he is an evil scientist with many deadly creations that he can use as a moveset.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I will say something, I'm glad we are beginning to see some new, active participants in this thread. It is great to have a wider group to bounce things off of. Once actual news and such comes out this place will quadruple in size.

OmegaXXII

ONe thing that i do hope stays the same is how the character select screen is layed out. Whenever I make a roster, I always get creative which is something I hope Sakurai doesn't do.
Lol..Are you good with Photoshop? I would love to see this idea presented sometime, it would be nice, I wonder if the 3DS roster would even be the same.

@soviet prince: Hmm..yes I see, perhaps a moveset of some sort would be nice?

What character do you support the most btw??

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I will say something, I'm glad we are beginning to see some new, active participants in this thread. It is great to have a wider group to bounce things off of. Once actual news and such comes out this place will quadruple in size.
Which will make this thread pukey. Instead of fifteen pages being eaten a night, it will be like forty.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Speaking of the character select screen....

Am I the only person who thinks the menu and UI design in Brawl was horrendous? Or am I just a snobby graphic designer?

OmegaXXII

I would love to see a character select screen design along with the possible characters, that would be awesome.

@shortie: this thread has already gone down the clutter hence it has the nickname "The Crap Factory" am I right?

New Sub-Forum would definetly ease this thread up.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Speaking of the character select screen....

Am I the only person who thinks the menu and UI design in Brawl was horrendous? Or am I just a snobby graphic designer?
No, you are not the only one. To be honest with you, as clean as the vertical arrangement was, it made the roster appear smaller and too uniform. That is why it is a minor detail, but in the next Smash I hope they arrange the series horizontally. Because the eyes will assume it is larger because when a pattern isn't easily present the mind takes the image as a whole versus just analyzing a segment.

Not to mention the brighter colors we just off-putting. The darker, neon design was just better in my opinion.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I would love to see a character select screen design along with the possible characters, that would be awesome.

@shortie: this thread has already gone down the clutter hence it has the nickname "The Crap Factory" am I right?

I will admit, I came here expecting a forum dedicated to SSB4 speculation. A single thread in a forum as active as this can't possibly carry the burden. And while I do understand that SSB4 discussion is a bit premature thank to Iwata's early announcement, I still think it's necessary....

But I'm new here, so I should prolly just keep my mouth shut. =P

OmegaXXII

Who cares about character select screen looks? Does it really matter? You'll ultimetly get the game for playing it, not to look and stare at the roster lol...just sayin'.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
No, you are not the only one. To be honest with you, as clean as the vertical arrangement was, it made the roster appear smaller and too uniform. That is why it is a minor detail, but in the next Smash I hope they arrange the series horizontally. Because the eyes will assume it is larger because when a pattern isn't easily present the mind takes the image as a whole versus just analyzing a segment.

Not to mention the brighter colors we just off-putting. The darker, neon design was just better in my opinion.
Who cares about character select screen looks? Does it really matter? You'll ultimetly get the game for playing it, not to look and stare at the roster lol...just sayin'.

Well I wasn't just talking about the select screen. I thought every menu looked bad.

And while menu design doesn't really matter to most people, as a graphic designer, I always gauge the quality of a product by how it treats elements that people often overlook. And also, a game with a cohesive menu design is almost always a game with a cohesive gameplay design as a whole.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Trust me, there are times when this place deserves that nickname.

Also, you forgot my fave, ****** City.

And while menu design doesn't really matter to most people, as a graphic designer, I always gauge the quality of a product by how it treats elements that people often overlook. And also, a game with a cohesive menu design is almost always a game with a cohesive gameplay design as a whole.
How do you feel Melee's Layout/Design sums up it's gameplay? Can you compare it to how Brawl's design sums up it's own gameplay?

OmegaXXII

I will admit, I came here expecting a forum dedicated to SSB4 speculation. A single thread in a forum as active as this can't possibly carry the burden. And while I do understand that SSB4 discussion is a bit premature thank to Iwata's early announcement, I still think it's necessary....

Even though this place gets alot of random content, it's still fun discussing things, even if this thread does happen to be filled with stupidiness and such at times, I myself am guilty of such a thing, shame on me. :urg:

but seeing a known person as yourself joining in the conversation always adds a layer of excitement and potential good discussion, it's always nice to see new productive people around.

BTW, I loved you blog, pretty amazing stuff you have there concerning SSE. :)

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
omega: is there a skeltion I can look at when making the moveset? I not sure on how good I will be but I will give it a shot if I have a layout to look at.

character select screen: honestly I like the way it is now, but with more characters being added I wonder if they will be able to keep with that layout.

sub forum: yh we do need a subforum to many good ideas get overlooked because there is way to many topics going on at the same time.

Also guys trying to make a poll on characters popularity, will try to have it up soon

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Trust me, there are times when this place deserves that nickname.

Also, you forgot my fave, ****** City.

How do you feel Melee's Layout/Design sums up it's gameplay? Can you compare it to how Brawl's design sums up it's own gameplay?
Honestly, I felt Melee's menu design was lame as well. I don't think either game's menu felt like it adhered to the theme of the game, nor the tone of the game. I just don't think Sakurai cares about menu design... And that became apparent to me when Kirby Air Ride came out.... which used sound effects from Melee -_-

Even though this place gets alot of random content, it's still fun discussing things, even if this thread does happen to be filled with stupidiness and such at times, I myself am guilty of such a thing, shame on me. :urg:

but seeing a known person as yourself joining in the conversation always adds a layer of excitement and potential good discussion, it's always nice to see new productive people around.

BTW, I loved you blog, pretty amazing stuff you have there concerning SSE. :)

Well, I'll try to keep it interesting then. XP Right now, I'm anticipating my blog responses to be a bit of a "Safe haven" where I can have some more focused discussion at a bit of a slower pace.

And man does it bother me when people use "SSE" as a generic term to describe Adventure Mode. XP I always have to think twice.

OmegaXXII

omega: is there a skeltion I can look at when making the moveset? I not sure on how good I will be but I will give it a shot if I have a layout to look at.

Also guys trying to make a poll on characters popularity, will try to have it up soon
Well..if you want to go by moveset layout I'd suggest you take a look at this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12835700&postcount=260

A bunch of good movesets have been posted there, including some of my own are on there, hope that helps and I'll look forward to seeing it as well, if you need help with setting it up I would gladly help. :)

Also a poll? Hmm.. I wonder what that's going to be like. :rolleyes:

I also have a discussion group pertaining to The Black Knight since he's my most wanted character, I could link it if you please.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well..if you want to go by moveset layout I'd suggest you take a look at this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12835700&postcount=260

A bunch of good movesets have been posted there, including some of my own are on there, hope that helps and I'll look forward to seeing it as well, if you need help with setting it up I would gladly help. :)
There was a place to put movesets!?

Bummer, I've posted about 5 different movesets on the tread so far, I wish I had known about this. :facepalm:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yeah... You may be new "here" but I think you are the special situation that transcends the typical "scrub" title new users seem to get...

Well I wasn't just talking about the select screen. I thought every menu looked bad.

I guess I focused on the select screen because that is the menu people spend the most time interacting with. As a whole the menu design was very abstract and un-uniform. You went from this:

to this

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
well I take a shot at it, again I am not experienced with this but I trust if it's horrid ppl will be constructive about it. Not sure when I have it up but hopefully I can make something worth looking at :p

also about the poll I am not going to just add characters I like :p I will make it unbaised and hopefully add all the characters even the less likely ones in the poll. I hope when we get enough votes to be able to send to sakurai so Americans will at least get a vote this time. :p

OmegaXXII

There was a place to put movesets!?

Bummer, I've posted about 5 different movesets on the tread so far, I wish I had known about this. :facepalm:
Yes, berserker always posts any good movesets he see's on there, do you have any movesets? He could probably add those as well if you want.

@Star: I prefer Brawl's colorful Menu, Melee looks too dim and pale, it looks boring, but the lines do seem interesting though.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yeah... You may be new "here" but I think you are the special situation that transcends the typical "scrub" title new users seem to get...

I guess I focused on the select screen because that is the menu people spend the most time interacting with. As a whole the menu design was very abstract and un-uniform.
I agree with you that the select screen is probably most important, given the traffic, but I don't think the rest of the menus should be neglected for that reason. I think it's an injustice to Smash to be content with those mediocre menus.

I always envisioned the menu being as zany as the gameplay. With more movement and dynamism. Something that makes me feel the way the SSB64 intro does. Because if you think about it, a menu serves as a sort of prelude to the gameplay, just as an intro movie does. And I think BECAUSE the player zooms right past the menu that it should have that dynamism; something that doesn't take time to navigate, but still feels exciting.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yes, berserker always posts any good movesets he see's on there, do you have any movesets? He could probably add those as well if you want.

@Star: I prefer Brawl's colorful Menu, Melee looks too dim and pale, it looks boring, but the lines do seem interesting though.

I don't mind colorful, it is just the way it all kind of "floats" there. I don't know how else to call it outside of abstract? Nothing is congruent.

Krystal appeared in the Lylat Cruise conversations, and in one of them, she, Peppy and Slippy argue over being playable. The conversation ends with her saying she's the best choice.

EDIT: And Sakurai made Brawl's roster easy to obtain because he knew the internet would spoil it. If you want everyone in quickly, play Subspace. If not, play regularly.
Really? Okay
It just goes to show how Sakurai's interest is always over people's popularity.

It doesn't matter how popular a character really is, he Sakurai doesn't want a character in, it won't happen, it's as simple as that, I hope at least Ridley and K. Rool do finally become playable though rather than having them as AT's and such.

Sakurai liked Ridley. I can't speak for K Rool though. That's why Ridley was a boss.
Bowser Jr. could use their hairstyles and colors as alternate colors/costumes.
That'd make Jr. look funky :cool:
I did indeed. ^^;;

Didn't know whether or not they had spread this far into the community. They were pretty popular at Nsider and Nsider2, and when I started posting at IGN's Zelda Board I learned that they reached IGN's Smash Board as well... And of course there's YouTube...

I guess I should've known. =P
Can you make a Toad hat for Kirby? I won't force you to
Just saying, but if Professor Layton somehow makes it to the next Smash as a playable character, I would make him my secondary at least. To hell with top tiers, fave characters all the way man.
Hey Kewk

What if Layton was top tier then?
We always have Berserker's Ridley hat to tie us over

This Ridley hat is the best :awesome:
because no one likes lucario.

srs response: I don't think anyone would be talking about zoroark if lucario hadn't been put into brawl. I honestly never expected lucario in brawl as much as I favored him xD
Everyone likes Lucario

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
I don't mind colorful, it is just the way it all kind of "floats" there. I don't know how else to call it outside of abstract? Nothing is congruent.
yeah and it looks too much like a wii game from the menu.
white with large buttons.
ugg i hate the wii white color sooo much. it's like being in a doctor's office.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Speaking of requests, I'm testing a trial for Fireworks CS5. Want to see what more I can do with this versus my old Fireworks 2004, any suggestions for a signature?

D

Deleted member

Day Thirty-Three of Rate Their Chances is up!

Have a lot to say. Will make a response post as soon as possible.

@Starphoenix: Make a signature that said "Project Characters Alliance Movement", based off the over-arching site for the campaign to bring eight characters into Smash as playable characters (I changed the abbreviation from PCAM to SCAM because SCAM is a lot less attractive abbreviation then PCAM).

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Melee/64 menu was way better than brawl.

Brawl was, let me smack you with overly bright colors that offsets any type of battle related thing.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
yeah and it looks too much like a wii game from the menu.
white with large buttons.
ugg i hate the wii white color sooo much. it's like being in a doctor's office.
Yeah, the gratuitous use of color without purpose is a bit jarring... White isn't a bad thing if there's a reason to use it. =P I just think Melee and Brawl... and even SSB64, had generic menus. Though... I kinda like SSB64's menu, even though it wasn't phenomenal or anything.

You mean this one?

I didn't like the brawl menu. It was bland and boring compared to the other 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom