• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Non-Cameo apperances would be so good if a certain character didn't make it in, personally I'd like to see such characters as Kin Ashnard, Dr. Eggman and Giovanni and N make such apperances and take advantage of the SSE storyline somehow, most preferably against their repective protagonist like Ike vs. Ashnard or Toad vs. The Great King Wart.

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Those are some nice suggestions you have there, JavaCroc.

Only thing that bothers me is the NPC cameos. Don't want another "Ridley in the Intro" situation. Maybe if they were Assist Trophies then it'd be alright.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Mewtwo. Enough said.

But Donkey Kong is also another Nintendo series that could get the spot. Might as well just add them both so we have this:
Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus

Anyways, I'm not going to make a big post for what I want for Adventure mode, but these bullet points summarize my ideas:
  • Better, More-Nintendo-Focused Story: This is pretty much agreed upon. The question is, how would this be implemented?
  • Play as Each Character in Each Character's Part of the Story: Basically, when you select the Adventure mode option in the menu, you go to the character selection screen and choose a character. Then you play Adventure Mode, but only from the experience of that particular character. So if you choose Pit, you only play his part of the story; you don't get sidetracked by whatever Mario is doing on the other side of the world. There would be a limit to how far you can go with a single character, and once that limit is passed, you can continue with that character. But I have no idea how this would be implemented.
  • Unlockables: I lopped all these features into one category. There are numerous unlockables peppered throughout Adventure mode - some you gain by just completing a level, but others are found through different means. Sometimes you have to do a side-quest given to you by a non-playable Nintendo character to be rewarded. Other times you'll need to explore a level top-to-bottom to find the little secrets. This feature would greatly increase the re-playability of Adventure Mode by encouraging players to find all the various unlockables.
  • Cameo Appearances by Non-Playable Characters: Marth and Caeda sharing a tender moment before Marth separates to begin his quest. Encountering K.K. Slider along a barren trail playing one of his tunes. Seeing Pokemon actually run through the thick grasses of the Kanto region. Waluigi attempting to beat up his rival Luigi before Mario kicks his *** out of town. I don't think this needs much more explaining for it's potential.
  • Side-Quests: Again, another feature that can greatly expand the re-playability and appeal of Adventure Mode. For example, guide a lost Nintendog through the level back to it's owner. Or translate ancient scriptures that describe the story of a lost civilization using Samus's visor. These side-quests would include unlockables as rewards, of course. For example, for guiding the Nintendog home, you gain it as an Assist Trophy in normal play.
  • Secret Areas: Pretty self-explanatory. In levels featuring Zelda characters, for example, you can find Hidden Grottoes underneath the level that contain small enemy encounters and an unlockable as a reward.
  • Mix of More Lighthearted and Darker Tones: The story can start somewhat lighthearted, more akin to the concept behind SSB64. Some humor is perfect; for example, Ness attempting to attack an opponent with PK Fire, but accidentally lighting Luigi's pants on fire and making him run panicked. But as the story progresses, it increases in darkness until it becomes darker than Brawl's story ever was. At it's darkest, for example, a vision of what a Nintendo apocalypse would look like; an emotional and dark concept that should be handled much like the emotionally-gripping incinerator scene in Toy Story 3.

That's all I can think of for now.

EDIT:
  • Make It Only Unlocked Once the Player Has Unlocked Every Character: All-Star Mode can replace Adventure Mode as the other major available-at-start mode, and can develop and grow as the player unlocks characters to show the player's progress. This prevents Adventure Mode from being just some cheap way to unlock characters and would make it something very much worth the effort.
I actually really like this. I would add one thing to it.

Incorporate Mini-games: This was somewhat done with unlocking doors but it was mostly a beat 'em up platformer. They should have parts where you do games like break the targets, board the platforms, Homerun contest. Of course add new mini games and various puzzles can be added. Just something to break up the monoteny of beating up legions of enemies.

OmegaXXII

Only thing that bothers me is the NPC cameos. Don't want another "Ridley in the Intro" situation. Maybe if they were Assist Trophies then it'd be alright.
Well... just add Risley and K.Rool as playable characters, good enough??

I say only make NPC characters that really don't have any chance whatsover being in a Smash roster or..simply if the character doesn't end up making the roster for whatever reason Dakurai decides upon, personally I hope that doesn't happen.

The Black Knight 4 Smash 4 roster >>SSE Cameo!!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey, that's a nice recommendation you have there, it seems you have some knowledge over this, what would exir look like? Any music recommendations? It seems a popular character such as Geno would surely have some knid of memorable theme himself.

This is Exor:

He's a giant talking sword character. Basically as a boss he would use projectiles and "spell" type moves you would do your best to dodge. Until there was an oppertunity to hit him. Yes, these kind of bosses are boring, but that's how he would work. He was a hard boss I might add.

Popular Music:
Super Mario RPG -Beware of the Forest Mushrooms
Super Mario RPG -Smithy Final Boss
Super Mario RPG -Sunken Ship
Super Mario RPG -Nimbus Town
Super Mario RPG -Booster's Tower
Super Mario RPG -Axem Ranger's Theme
Super Mario RPG -Bowser's Theme
Super Paper Mario -Shy Guys Toy Box(Mixed with General Guys Theme)
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story Final Boss
Super Mario Sunshine -Shadow Mario

I'll post pictures of all the trophy characters now. So, I'll be editing.

Geno
Mallow
Boshi
Booster
Croco
Heroes
Axem Rangers
Johnny
smithy

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I like the idea of Smash having its own fighter. Ever since 64, the series had its own original music and stages (along with content based off of other games) but absolutely no fighters. Brawl showed that its not hard for them to come up with a unique character, so why not make an SSB series fighter playable? It would definitely be a WTF character.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I like the idea of Smash having its own fighter. Ever since 64, the series had its own original music and stages (along with content based off of other games) but absolutely no fighters. Brawl showed that its not hard for them to come up with a unique character, so why not make an SSB series fighter playable? It would definitely be a WTF character.

It's not hard for anybody to come up with a unique character... That doesn't automatically mean that the character is any good. I found SSE's enemy designs to be terrible. Every single one. There was absolutely no unity.

I though the alloys were a great idea, but a reason I liked the polygon team is because every character had an equivalent. Not just 4.

Other than the SSE enemies and bosses and the various multi-man... "characters," there aren't any other original Smash characters. And I personally don't think any of those warrant a playable inclusion.

I don't see why it's necessary to include a character from a series that is entirely dedicated to featuring characters from other series.... And personally, while SSE did offer some original content, I felt trying to invent that degree of original content for SSB was a bad idea in the first place. It just complicates what should be a simple game about all-stars vs. all-stars.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Incorporate Mini-games: This was somewhat done with unlocking doors but it was mostly a beat 'em up platformer. They should have parts where you do games like break the targets, board the platforms, Homerun contest. Of course add new mini games and various puzzles can be added. Just something to break up the monoteny of beating up legions of enemies.
Sort of in the same vein as your suggestion - mix up the side-scrolling a bit! In a Star Fox world, maybe hop on top of an Arwing and control it to blast your way through a side-scrolling shooter level. In a Fire Emblem world, maybe you're presented with a map and you have to strategically move your character(s) across it (y'know, like a chessboard. If you land on an enemy square (or they land on you!) then a normal Smash fight is initiated. YOU WOULD KEEP THE AMOUNT OF DAMAGE TAKEN AFTER EACH FIGHT.) Let's see what else... Somehow implement dungeon-like puzzles for LoZ. GIVE EACH WORLD A PERSONALITY!

Oh, and I'm against the inclusion of an original character on the roster, lol.

OmegaXXII

This is Exor:

He's a giant talking sword character. Basically as a boss he would use projectiles and "spell" type moves you would do your best to dodge. Until there was an oppertunity to hit him. Yes, these kind of bosses are boring, but that's how he would work. He was a hard boss I might add.

Popular Music:
Super Mario RPG -Beware of the Forest Mushrooms
Super Mario RPG -Smithy Final Boss
Super Mario RPG -Sunken Ship
Super Mario RPG -Nimbus Town
Super Mario RPG -Booster's Tower
Super Mario RPG -Axem Ranger's Theme
Super Mario RPG -Bowser's Theme
Super Mario RPG -Shy Guys Toy Box(Mixed with General Guys Theme)
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story Final Boss
Super Mario Sunshine -Shadow Mario

I'll post pictures of all the trophy characters now. So, I'll be editing.

Geno
Mallow
Boshi
Booster
Croco
Heroes
Axem Rangers
Johnny
smithy
Wow, that an incredible boss concept you have there, I totally never knew about him, a perfect SSE boss indeed, the music is wonderful, I like the style, Hopefully we'll at least get some kind of music to represent this.

Geno supporters beware!!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Okay, to whomever was wanting the Ridley signature. Here:

Tried something a little different than normal and tried going for a grungy/dark theme. Hopefully it is of the caliber as my other work. Still surprised no one took this.

OmegaXXII

Sort of in the same vein as your suggestion - mix up the side-scrolling a bit! In a Star Fox world, maybe hop on top of an Arwing and control it to blast your way through a side-scrolling shooter level. In a Fire Emblem world, maybe you're presented with a map and you have to strategically move your character(s) across it (y'know, like a chessboard. If you land on an enemy square (or they land on you!) then a normal Smash fight is initiated. YOU WOULD KEEP THE AMOUNT OF DAMAGE TAKEN AFTER EACH FIGHT.) Let's see what else... Somehow implement dungeon-like puzzles for LoZ. GIVE EACH WORLD A PERSONALITY!

Oh, and I'm against the inclusion of an original character on the roster, lol.
OMG, this would be a wonderful SSE idea, I'm totally up for it and would prove how unique adventure mode would be, they should do SSE scenarios based on a game, that being a perfect example.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
It totally throws me off when people refer to Adventure Mode as SSE in a generic way. XP

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's not hard for anybody to come up with a unique character... That doesn't automatically mean that the character is any good. I found SSE's enemy designs to be terrible. Every single one. There was absolutely no unity.

I though the alloys were a great idea, but a reason I liked the polygon team is because every character had an equivalent. Not just 4.

Other than the SSE enemies and bosses and the various multi-man... "characters," there aren't any other original Smash characters. And I personally don't think any of those warrant a playable inclusion.

I don't see why it's necessary to include a character from a series that is entirely dedicated to featuring characters from other series.... And personally, while SSE did offer some original content, I felt trying to invent that degree of original content for SSB was a bad idea in the first place. It just complicates what should be a simple game about all-stars vs. all-stars.
Good points. I guess if they do decide to have an SSB fighter (which I now see as less likely than I did before), they'd need to come up with something that would fit the gameplay instead of using an existing character.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace

Changing the gameplay to represent Nintendo franchises - such as what Oasis suggested - or even simple mini-games would be awesome.

The main problem I can see with this, however, is that it requires the engine running the game to be capable of a lot more, and it takes time to make several different types of gameplay. Which is why most franchises stick to one style of gameplay - Star Fox and Pilotwings are sort of your pilot simulators, F-Zero is a full-on racing game, Zelda is an action-adventure game with RPG and platforming elements thrown in, etc.

I'd love for it to happen, but it probably wouldn't be feasible.

However, simpler mini-games along the vein of Board the Platforms and Target Smash as Rapier suggested are completely possible and would do much good in removing any possible repetitiveness. They can be made to fit the levels players just completed to better fit as seamlessly as possible in Adventure Mode.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
what do you all think of my explanation of dr. eggman

Dr. eggman- this I am sure is what will be the most controversial part of my roster, he seems to be getting a lot of unnecessary hate on this thread and someone went as far saying he has no chance and if sonic gets a second rep it will be tails. Now let me ask you what two characters has been in every sonic game that came out, the answer is dr. rob.. I mean eggman :p, tails did not show up until the second game and is not even in ever game after that unlike this iconic villain. Also he would have a unique moveset with his ability to transform characters into animals and the many inventions that he has used make his moveset limitless.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I can't be bothered to do a boss list myself, but i'll just say that because i'd like to see so many, what if there was a side area to the next story mode, an arena(this is sounding like the stadium i know) where you could verse a bunch of bosses that would not otherwise be in the story mode? Once you got to the end this area would unlock, and it would be like boss battles in stadium, except you're versing bosses that AREN'T in the story mode?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Changing the gameplay to represent Nintendo franchises - such as what Oasis suggested - or even simple mini-games would be awesome.

The main problem I can see with this, however, is that it requires the engine running the game to be capable of a lot more, and it takes time to make several different types of gameplay. Which is why most franchises stick to one style of gameplay - Star Fox and Pilotwings are sort of your pilot simulators, F-Zero is a full-on racing game, Zelda is an action-adventure game with RPG and platforming elements thrown in, etc.

I'd love for it to happen, but it probably wouldn't be feasible.
It's feasible, you just have to use Smash's side-scrolling platforming as a basis. My Fire Emblem example is a LITTLE out there, but the map presentation wouldn't amount to much more than a fancy menu (...I THINK... Would kind of depend on how you wanted to present it.)

Pokemon would be a bit hard to capture in that form though. I suppose something to do with random encounters may work, but that could be boring and repetitive.

Also, imagine how these sorts of things would effect multiplayer. Like my Arwing example... that could mean ride-able items! RHAMBI. onlythingicanthinkofthough,lol.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
It's feasible, you just have to use Smash's side-scrolling platforming as a basis. My Fire Emblem example is a LITTLE out there, but the map presentation wouldn't amount to much more than a fancy menu (...I THINK... Would kind of depend on how you wanted to present it.)

Pokemon would be a bit hard to capture in that form though. I suppose something to do with random encounters may work, but that could be boring and repetitive.

Also, imagine how these sorts of things would effect multiplayer. Like my Arwing example... that could mean ride-able items! RHAMBI. onlythingicanthinkofthough,lol.
(last paragraph)
BEST ****ING IDEA OUT OF THIS THREAD!
(besidesMHMP:awesome:)

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
Dr. Eggman should just stick to bE a SSE boss IMO.

Tails or Knuckles would be likelier reps.

dr. eggman is way more important in the story then tails and especially knuckles, without eggman sonic would just be another blue hedgehog

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here is the truth of the matter. While I believe we will get a story mode, we should probably establish which console would be getting a comprehensive story mode? The way Sakurai in past interviews has stated his ideas on how to develop both titles, he makes it sound as though we'd more likely see this on the 3DS versus the Wii U. The way I see it is this:

3DS will get a comprehensive story mode, character upgrade features and singular player modes.

Wii U will get comprehensive online and multiplayer modes.

It isn't to say the 3DS won't have online or that the Wii U installment won't have a story mode. But when we talk depth, it will obviously lean towards the respective console's favor.

...Making a portable version had its appeal for him, as they'd be able to do a number of new things. At the same time, there would be limits, as they'd be handicapped in some areas when it comes to offering the usual enjoyment areas of Smash Bros.

...What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could see the Koopalings as bosses in Adventure Mode, but that'd be a lot of Koopaling levels. Plus, the Koopalings have traditionally been found in towers and castles, and unless each fortress is completely unique, I can see a lot of repetition.
Seven Mario bosses is pretty much overkill. The Koopalings could appear as spectators at Bowser's Castle.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace

Most NPC cameos would consist of Assist Trophy character, since it's true that many would be disappointed to see their favorite character in an Adventure mode cutscene not playable.

However, snagging an appearance in an Adventure mode cutscene is better than just relegating the character to a trophy or sticker or even nothing.

In addition, since I would make Adventure Mode only available after you unlocked all characters, you'd at least know who's in the roster and who's not before you begin.

I suppose that if it's all very much based off of the basic side-scrolling platform-jumping fighter that SSB really is, it's possible, and if so, I see no reason to not take this awesome idea and make it happen.

If dialogue (with or without voice acting) and consequently text boxes were added in SSB4's Adventure Mode, the Pokemon idea could work by putting the two opposing Pokemon on separate sides of one stage. Players select options from the the text box, and see the Pokemon attack through cutscenes.

Putting these things in multiplayer? Guaranteed to be banned in competitive play! :p But as items of some sort, they would be very fun.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
Isn't Sonic the ONLY blue hedgehog?
you know what I mean lol,

anyway I just think ppl underestimate his importance to the series, he is sonics bowser and link ganidorph. Plus he will be a unique character and will add to the roster

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I suppose that if it's all very much based off of the basic side-scrolling platform-jumping fighter that SSB really is, it's possible, and if so, I see no reason to not take this awesome idea and make it happen.

If dialogue (with or without voice acting) and consequently text boxes were added in SSB4's Adventure Mode, the Pokemon idea could work by putting the two opposing Pokemon on separate sides of one stage. Players select options from the the text box, and see the Pokemon attack through cutscenes.

Putting these things in multiplayer? Guaranteed to be banned in competitive play! :p But as items of some sort, they would be very fun.
Oooh, that's a good one for Pokemon. I had just now thought you could make it into a sort of... sneaking game (lol). Y'know, trying to avoid trainers' eyes! If a trainer were to see you, they'll send out their Pokemon to attack. Could probably combine the two. Even the random encounters thing could be worked into it, lol.

And about what Star said, I think each version would do better to have both a single and multiplayer aspect about them. WiiU could get something pretty much like SSE 2 - linear, little replay-value. Whereas the 3DS gets something you can just pick up and enjoy and play over and over. So, WiiU has the STORY mode, and 3DS has the... uh... Adventure mode? Both can have Classic and All-Star.

As for online, obviously the WiiU version needs a VERY ROBUST online service, while the 3DS could probably get by having something similar to Brawl's.

I dunno. I think that'd be best, but I'm not sure if it's something to expect, lol.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Some bosses, eh?

Well how about this level and Boss idea? This goes by the assumption both Captain Falcon and Black Shadow are playable characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICBQ7zvtHUU
F-Zero Grand Prix; Night of Big Blue- After defeating Black Shadow, Captain Falcon has learns that the Grand Prix is going to be the victim of an attack by Deathborn. If allowed to succeed, the plan might cost the lives of the millions of fans in attendance.

Level Description: This takes place in a sort of scaffolding/side track overlooking the actual race course. It's timed, and Falcon has to sprint through the enemies and reach the finish before Deathborns machine, the Dark Schneider reaches the finish line. Once at the end, Falcon leaps onto the track landing on his summoned Blue Falcon. The Dark Schneider looms in behind him and rams the vehicle, starting the boss battle.

\___
X D\ |----\
==================
Layout.

Dark Schneider can only be damaged by attacking the cockpit where Deathborn is piloting. However, he will on occasion drop back, fire missiles, or ram the Blue Falcon.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well quite a few people(including myself) have proposed this thread(possibly the largest) should be made in to a sub-forum. It hasn't happened yet so we post in the 1 thread anyways...

And what star and Oasis said.

OmegaXXII

you know what I mean lol,

anyway I just think ppl underestimate his importance to the series, he is sonics bowser and link ganidorph. Plus he will be a unique character and will add to the roster
I don't underestimate his chances at all, hell I'd very much like too see him playable myself, you do bring up a good point though, since Sega already has an existing relation with Sakurai I don't see why Sakurai or Sega wouldn't easily had a 2nd Sega rep, if anything a 2ndSonic rep is way more likely than any other 3rd party aside from Layton or maybe even Megaman.

The way I see it though is that even though Dr. Eggman would be an excellent choice in theory, I don't think Sakurai nor Sega go with Dr. Eggman, sure you can argue that he's iconic and has more history than any other Sonic rep, but the problem here relates to popularity + interest. If Mr. Sakurai and or Sega were to agree upon Dr. eggman as a possibility then I could see it happening but that would probably be influenced by fan demand, if the japenese community wants Tails or Knuckles as a 2nd rep and Sakurai made a poll and decided over this, then guess who would probably be considered the most? I would bet that they would go with the most requested/popular character regardless of iconic stature, any character could be iconic but that doesn't necessarly mean they should be at top priority to be playable, you have to take fan demand into consideration.

Overall I believe any character has a likely chance, of course this is saying if they've at least appeared on a Nintendo system and aren't anime based, so with that said any character has a chance whether it's slim or not, the fact that a character has a chance cannot be ignored regardless.

Because it is entertaining.
I agree with this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom