• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
How would you guys suggest making my Operation Hoenn Rising known about? I mean, I've got the site/fb/twitter/petition ready, I just need to find the fans. Any help suggestions guys?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
FTilting requires using the A button. Block + A button = Grab... on contact of a physical attack, would the grab be changed to Alpha Counter?
I would almost consider than an option select. What I was thinking was that Block + Neutral A would be the grab so the difference in directional input will result in one or the other. Alternatively, just make that input Down B instead.

Personally, I'd prefer alpha counters over perfect shielding.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
why is it that counters have priority over an initiated attack? I can see moves that hit certain parts of the opponents making sense, or even ones that brush off a feeble attack but I'm not certain about the logic that Augusto's video introduced, in the grand sceme of things.
Well, the way it works is that the character is parrying the move and the going in for a counter attack while the opponent is recovering on their attack. There's the liklihood of the alpha counter versions of those attacks have some invincibility frames at the beginning. That being said, alpha counters actually have a counter - good reading. Take a look here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LYd8Qe861w&feature=player_embedded

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
sooo... do you want the reversal too? or are you just showing us?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
sooo... do you want the reversal too? or are you just showing us?
Just showing. The point I was trying to make is that if you predict the alpha counter is coming, you cancel into a special or super to stop it, but that requires you to commit to your prediction.

@nLim8ed
Yes, it's to make it ultimately more strategic. You also allow characters to have a high low emphasis. Make the guess for either DTilt and short hopped DAir from Fox for example.

I'm not sure how I'd incorporate DI into this.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Okay, so how can we make it work? and is it plausible for a smash game?

I'm firing questions out in the hopes that a couple catch on, thus we can develop something more concrete than just mild subject topic suggestions. (Like SmashChu teases us for).
I love a good challenge. Let's say some stuff that'll get that guy absolutely mad and none of us will even care.

So how do we let alpha counters work? Well, the first thing Smash would need is a meter bar, but that's a subject that is simply a can of worms. The reason I say a meter would HAVE to be implemented is that something like an alpha counter must have a cost. Otherwise, people can just mash their inputs and make shield pressure a thing of the past.

I think alpha counters are plausible for Smash. I honestly think it's better than perfect shielding for a few reasons.

1. There's no real cost for perfect shielding UNLESS the opponent delays an attack.
2. There is more risk and reward involved with alpha counters.
3. Alpha counters can change the momentum of a fight in the blink of an eye, at least in a more exciting way.
4. Alpha counters can be countered. Not so much for perfect shielding.
5. In my opinion, alpha counters are more accessible and its importance can be seen from a casual standpoint.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
we're brainstorming. perhaps something innovative happens in the end.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
yea but like.. are you guys doing it in hope that you find something innovative that gets picked up by sakurai if he hopefully lurks in this thread?
They're just talking about ideas. It's okay to talk about things other than characters.

D

Deleted member

--- said:
Out of curiosity, would people prefer to have both Mewtwo(buffed) and Lucario back, or one of them back with Zoroark/Victini?
I actually would prefer the latter option. Personally, if for some reason that Zoroark gets in and we get five slots, I won't mind Zoroark's inclusion as a playable character. My problem with Zoroark (And why I push against him) is that I doubt Pokemon will get another slot under his inclusion and since I think Pokemon is due for a fifth slot, I want to look for the character that will help solidify that, thus my push for Victini. That and I think a Pokemon newcomer will be unique regardless of what it is. I would prefer if the choices were Mewtwo and Victini.
OmegaXVII said:
According to that article: Sakurai wanted Voice Chat but had cancelled such a feature so maybe...yes!!!!
Glad to see that Sakurai actually somewhat tried on Brawl's online. It's too bad it still failed in the end. I'm now more optimistic about the online features he could put in.
Oasis_S said:
Zoroark and Victini are "neck and neck" you could say. Maybe. No, that's a terrible phrase to use in this situation. AAAA How long do we have to keep saying "Zoroark/Victini".
Since the 5th gen Pokemon newcomer is guarantee to have to be unlocked, until either one of them is confirmed to get the Pokeball treatment or is revealed as a playable character. Which will take a long time.
JavaCroc said:
Man, I wish this theme would play in SSB4's intro cinematic. I didn't use it in my script just because it's not Nintendo, but how would this sound when you started SSB4?

Nehrim: At Fate's Edge - Hapttehme (The song name is German and translates simply to "Main Theme")
It's good, but not exactly something I as a developer would put as an intro. Seems too unfitting to me.
JavaCroc said:
If you're not interested in a stage roster, how does a Donkey Kong mine cart level for Adventure Mode or just as a regular stage sound? Players fight enemies on the Mole Train seen in Donkey Kong Country Returns.
I would love to see a stage like that, but I think it would fit much better for the Adventure Mode.
nLiM8d said:
Speaking of DLC, why hasn't anyone brought up the concept of temporary maps? Online for a week, Play it , give feedback, perhaps it will be included in a DLC map if popular (enough after a few tweaks of course).
That would be very enjoyable to have, providing that of course the stages are beta like are represent a Nintendo series or part of Nintendo history properly.
Rosalina suporter said:
I just whent to amazon to see when Kid Icarus Uprising was to come out,and "omg" amazon has Kid Icarus Uprising by Nintendo (Video Game - Dec 31, 2020:0

Why this means we are going to be waighing a few years for ssb4:0

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rus+&x=11&y=21
Don't trust Amazon, they're just putting a release date because they know no better in regards to it then we do. Only Sakurai knows now when he plans to release it.
Barbasol said:
Deoxys- Flailing whip tendrils and alternate forms. HUGE moveset potential, probably the most unique if we're thinking pokemon newcomers. Plus... a Majora themed color swap anyone?
Medusa- Staff combat, Magic, and Snake Hair.
Ray (Custom Robo)- HUGE potential, with bombs, pods, and guns, all having a vast scope of effects, it'd be near IMPOSSIBLE to dumb Ray down to be similar. Definitely my pick for most unique.
And this my friend is why I support all three for playable characters in Smash.
KumaOso said:
What do you think about this if the inputs were switched to FTilt and Side B? I'm not saying the alpha counters would be those moves, just the input for them.
Not necessarily something that I would considered a very interesting addition to the Smash series and would feel tacked on. Better suited for traditional fighting games.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
How would you guys suggest making my Operation Hoenn Rising known about? I mean, I've got the site/fb/twitter/petition ready, I just need to find the fans. Any help suggestions guys?
Try Serabii, GameFAQs, Nsider2, and Youtube.

Going back to input my thoughts on the Zoroark/Victini debate.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
you're missing my point , but since I'm about to go sleep , I'll explain tomorrow why
I can barely contain myself!

Out of curiosity, would people prefer to have both Mewtwo(buffed) and Lucario back, or one of them back with Zoroark/Victini?
If we got Mewtwo back, I wouldn't mind changes, he needs a little buffing, but I like how he played. I've seen some super cool Mewtwo players (Well, one) and some buffing would do him wonders. I ould ideally like to see Pika, Jiggs, a new Pokemon Trainer, a 5th generation Pokemon, and then another Popular Pokemon from any generation. Ideally, my Poke roster would be this:

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer Eythan, Victini/Genesect, and Deoxys/Mewtwo

Lucario is actually a character I like, but his fanboys ruin him for me. Same goes for Megaman fanboys, although I haven't seen them around lately, which is nice.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
im around! im just not talking bout him... aand i rather have X.

Steam

Smash Hero
if they're going to bring back mewtwo he needs to be completely revamped. he wouldn't be any better in brawl I'm afraid :/

@shortie- I could be waaaaay worse. at least I try to stay logical :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
im around! im just not talking bout him... aand i rather have X.
At least you don't shoot down discussions about other 3rd parties "BECAUZE MEGAMAN IZ GEHTIN' IN FUR SURZE. LIEK, NINTENDO WULD BE STOOPID TO PASS UP DAT MUNNY MAKER" I recall trying to discuss Jill Valentine and like seven people shutting me down. I don't mind when people like him, it just bugs me you liking him makes me hate him. You know what I mean?

Steam

Smash Hero
if capcom stopped legends 3 and kept megaman out of Marvel... it's pretty clear they're trying to kill him off. and as... ****ing awful as capcom is these days there's no way they'll be cool and let megaman be in... ****ing capcom

@shortie- duz ay maek u haet wucawio? :0000

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
it's due to my philosophy.

also... i herd something... Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Version 2012... those *******s!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Capcom put Firebrand in Marvel 3 the day after I said he'd be my pick for a Capcom character in Sm4sh.

Capcom is the best.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Shortie

Get used to it, Fanboys and Girls ruin a lot, although they got Sonic in Brawl. lol
Just wait until E3 next year, this is still the calm before the storm.

D

Deleted member

Steam said:
Lucario and mewtwo could both be playable with zoroark in. if anything limits lucario and mewtwo it's victini because he's likely attack with phsycic attacks/ fire. each things mewtwo and lucario do.

and they should make Mewtwo/Lucario pokeball pokemon if they are kept out.
Victini being a Psychic/Fire type Pokemon would not prevent Lucario and Mewtwo from getting in. Victini would play and feel completely different from either of those two, and has a completely different body structure whereas Zoroark shares similar structure with both Lucario and Mewtwo, not to mention while wouldn't be a clone, would feel similar to Mewtwo/Lucario. Body structure would more likely contribute to keeping both Mewtwo/Lucario out then Mewtwo and Victini having the same type. Mewtwo and Victini will be completely different form each other if they are playable. Lucario and Victini do not share types so it won't hurt Lucario's chances at all.

As for the second paragraph, they should either be playable or keep off the stages entirely. I don't imagine many very happy fans with Mewtwo/Lucario getting the Pokeball treatment when they were previously playable. Honestly, Mewtwo shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.
Steam said:
body type means nothing. Fox/Wolf/Falco Ness/Lucas Kirby/Metankight yadda yadda. and Victini wouldn't exactly be unique with Lucario/mewtwo in the mix. fire attacks seem a lot like aura attacks, and psychic seems like mewtwo. zoroark I'd imagine would fight with mainly claws, be a lot like wolf and have some interesting gimmick with illusion. either that or he'd make a great pokeball pokemon.

as is it's been stated, sakurai values what the character adds the most to the game playstyle wise as a large factor in their selection. what that does besides screwing over mewtwo is kinda make victini a replacement for lucario, both would probably throw fire at things from the end of their hands.
It doesn't matter much in Kirby/Star Fox/Earthbound case because they don't end up losing a candidate in return. With Pokemon, we lost Mewtwo in the transition form Melee to Brawl. Although Lucario did not replace Mewtwo, I suspect Mewtwo was dropped due to having similar body structure with Lucario. If this is true and if Zoroark is in as a playable character, I doubt Sakurai would hesitate to drop Lucario since Lucario and Zoroark have similar body structures. This also will almost certainly prevent Mewtwo from getting in as well and will leave us with just three choices; Deoxys, Victini, and Meowth. Deoxys's chances looks very poor after not being playable in SSBB (Operation Hoenn Rising is pretty much it's only hope now and even so, we'll have to see if it gets enough support going), Victini will probably get the Pokeball treatment because Zoroark is playable, and Meowth chances don't look good regardless of which 5th gen Pokemon gets in. Sakurai will likely pick none and have only four slots for Pokemon again. Like last time, it will leave many fans bitter, frustrated, and disappointed with the outcome of Pokemon, especially since Pokemon is due for a fifth slot.
Steam said:
be careful about going with just relevance, what they have "new" to add is a large factor with sakurai. I just see Zoroark "fitting" better... but yeah zoroark never really took off... and I've already said why I don't think victini is unique,a lot of his normal moves would either disfigure his body or he'd basically have to throw a fire hitbox like lucario does. and anything else he does would be off of mewtwo... but that's just why I think he can't coexist with lucario/mewtwo as well as zoroark can.
Relevance actually plays a major factor in Smash in every series that isn't retro and Pokemon is no exception. If relevance wasn't such a big deal, Deoxys would have gotten in over Lucario as a playable character since Deoxys was the more popular Pokemon character. Deoxys being less relevant then Lucario probably contributed to him getting the Pokeball treatment. As such, it helps Victini's case.

Size doesn't matter as proven by Olimar. If he can get in and be sized accordingly, so can Victini. Also, Victini would play completely different from both Lucario and Mewtwo even if Mewtwo makes his return and has more room for an unique move set.
--- said:
But then again, people flame on the Pokemon series since for some reason needs to go through a roster change every game. Unlike in most games where veterans are put before newcomers. Which is quite a shame and is no wonder it brings out these debates.
Stability in the roster is a must to keep fans happy and Pokemon is no exception to this rule. Brawl showed how potentially unstable the Pokemon franchise can be when it comes to Smash. They need to make a fourth slot for eternally popular Pokemons like Mewtwo, Deoxys, and Lucario (With one chosen as a permanent rep) and have the fifth slot go towards the latest popular Pokemon character for SSB4. It would prevent another outrage among fans as Mewtwo's removal cause and help stabilize the franchise. I wouldn't mind them adding on a slot per game, but it's not needed because at least fans will be safe to know that Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and {Mewtwo, Lucario, Deoxys} will remain playable.
Hoots said:
Well personally, I doubt the movie release date would mean much. I spoke to Serebii back before Lucario was confirmed and Serebii(who has a ton of inside sources) said that Lucario was literally made to be included in a Smash title. Now looking at Zoroark, especially in the movie, I'd say that he/she certainly looks to be in a similar boat. However, I haven't seen clips of the Victini movie, so he could do cool stuff and he's the first event legendary that could actually work in Smash so we'll see.
Really, most any Pokemon could receive the same statement. What we say is in the similar boat is our own opinion and we'll have to see until a similar statement towards another character is made. That said, you did give out a good clue for us to look for in regards to whenever or not Zoroark or Victini get in. I'm also hoping that the team will consider keeping Lucario in because of this (Or at least Deoxys/Mewtwo/Meowth take Lucario's place).
--- said:
As for DLC, would it end the Pokemon Debate if Jigglypuff was DLC?
If it means a roster like this:

- Pikachu
- Pokemon Trainer
- Mewtwo/Deoxys
- Lucario
- Zoroark/Victini

Then yes it would.
Rosalina suporter said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1185257p1.html

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...pport-dlc.aspx
This is great. I am very much hoping that we get Stage/Music/Character DLC for SSB4. If done well, many people would be happy with the final result. Updates to the game via patch would also be nice as it would fix potential balancing issues with the game or any glitch that interfere with the game.
Steam said:
if capcom stopped legends 3 and kept megaman out of Marvel... it's pretty clear they're trying to kill him off. and as... ****ing awful as capcom is these days there's no way they'll be cool and let megaman be in... ****ing capcom
I don't think Capcom is deliberately trying to kill of Mega Man. If they did, there would be no Archie Comic series of Mega Man going on, there would be no Zero and Tron Bonne in MvC3, Mega Man Volnutt wouldn't make a cameo in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and the developer room for Mega Man Legends 3 would be closed by now. I think Mega Man will return as a gaming series, but it's likely it will enter a possibly long hiatus so the series can reinvigorate itself.

Steam

Smash Hero
It's definitely possible for characters to be tiny like olimar. but like... how would victini actually attack? olimar has pikmin to throw. I'm just worried victini will pretty much have to throw a fire type hitbox similar to what lucario does with all of his moves. and I still don't think zoroark would keep lucario/mewtwo out if only because he's not nearly as popular/relevant (popular or relevant I mean all of those factors as a whole) as Lucario and mewtwo are these days. by smash4 zoroark will have faded... and won't outright keep lucario or mewtwo out by his inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom