• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thino

Smash Master
as much as I love competitive smash , I think tripping should stay.

its a totally WTFRANDOM addition , it has no purpose at all and you can lose a stock because of it.

that is just plain awesome.

Kantrip

Kantplay
It's not fair for ground characters if characters who like the air don't trip. I think an air trip needs to be implemented.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team

its a totally WTFRANDOM addition , it has no purpose at all and you can lose a stock because of it.

I find this very contradictory.

Diddy's bananas should trip. I don't know about low attacks, definitely not all of them, but I haven't really thought about it enough. I don't think they are bad in that sense.

Just random tripping on solid ground is stupid.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

A lot of people will disagree with you there, especially in Boss Battles.

Trust me. There are people who have done Intense Boss Battles, who have been raging mad, because one random trip caused their fighter to get KO'd.

And on my end, I hate to trip at a place where someone can easily grab me. In fact, I hate being shield-grabbed in general; which is why I mentioned the CPU difficulty thing several posts back; http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12846037&postcount=1327.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Regardless, commercial success doesn't mean that they did justice to the source material. Ergo, to adequately represent the DK franchise would not be to focus on DKCR because that game was hardly a DK title, no matter how well it sold.

:phone:

I'm sure Nintendo (and the majority of people who played the game) thought they did justice to the source material and that's all that really matters.

D

Deleted member

Mario_And_Sonic_Guy said:
I did say banana peels. Slippery terrain would be an obvious spot to trip, especially in the real world.
What about #1? I don't think hitting the feet should force you to trip. Also, the Smash universe isn't the real world and people like myself wants to minimize tripping as much as possible.
Thino said:

If there's no purpose for tripping, it should be removed aside from banana peelings.
CrimsonFeint said:
It's not fair for ground characters if characters who like the air don't trip. I think an air trip needs to be implemented.
How would air tripping work? That's even more pointless then ground tripping already is.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If that happens, we can expect to see a Tecmo character as playable either from Ninja Gaiden or Dead Or Alive. But even thought I think Ryu Hayabusa is the most likely 4th third-party character, I doubt we'll be seeing Tecmo contents in the game, as nice as that would be. So I don't think we'll be seeing that without having to get Tecmo involved. Your other suggestions would be great, thought.What about #1? I don't think hitting the feet should force you to trip. Also, the Smash universe isn't the real world and people like myself wants to minimize tripping as much as possible.If there's no purpose for tripping, it should be removed aside from banana peelings.
But that Geothermal stage is from Metroid Other M. Why would having a stage from that place in Other M mean we'd need to have a crossover with Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive? As... amusing as that would be. ._.

D

Deleted member

But that Geothermal stage is from Metroid Other M. Why would having a stage from that place in Other M mean we'd need to have a crossover with Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive? As... amusing as that would be. ._.
Nvm, didn't know it originated in Metroid: Other M.

Kantrip

Kantplay
For air tripping, you have a random chance to go into your tumble animation as if someone footstooled you every time you input a command in the air. This chance would be equivalent to the ground tripping chance to add more balance to the game.

Steam

Smash Hero
For air tripping, you have a random chance to go into your tumble animation as if someone footstooled you every time you input a command in the air. This chance would be equivalent to the ground tripping chance to add more balance to the game.
I like it. call it "turbulance"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think hitting the feet should force you to trip. Also, the Smash universe isn't the real world and people like myself wants to minimize tripping as much as possible.

If there's no purpose for tripping, it should be removed aside from banana peelings.
I'm not saying that hitting the feet will always cause tripping. It'll mostly only apply to very weak d-tilt attacks, and would only happen 20% of the time.

Also, aren't most competitive matches on stages that aren't slippery?

Kantrip

Kantplay
A lot of characters who have tripping downtilts should keep them, it helps their game a lot. (Donkey Kong, Lucas, etc.)

The shields in brawl were also too powerful. I would like to see more attacks that insta-break shields to make people think about their defensive options rather than just throwing up a shield every time they predict something.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wtf tripping should stay in??? Da loca.

Its stupid for competitive people like me and my casual friends hate it.

(He might be trolling, if he is, he got me.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Air tripping has got to be the most ******** thing anyone has said in any thread on this site ever.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We start limiting ourselves by assuming too much though. Look at Melee. Every Pokemon character was featured in either the anime or a movie. Then Brawl came and we got Pokemon Trainer. In total, Ivysaur probably got....ten minutes of air time on the show?
Maybe the reason why we got Pokemon Trainer is because Sakurai thought it would be very interesting to have a character who is really three characters in one. It is like Zelda / Sheik but with a third transformation. I think it is rather fitting for the Pokemon Trainer. In the games, you are always given a choice between three starters but in Pokemon Yellow, you could have all three starters.

As for the starters, I think Charizard was chosen because it is the most popular starter of the 1st gen games. Sakurai probably wanted the starters to represent each type and each evolution stage so since Charizard is the final form and Fire-type, Venusaur and Blastoise are out. Next choice was Squirtle because it is more popular than Bulbasaur and Charmander is out by default because of Charizard. So, by default, we get Ivysaur.

I think the idea of a Pokemon Trainer in Smash was planted in Sakurai's head after he saw Ash Ketchum's name in the Melee poll results. But he didn't want to put in anime characters so he used Red instead because he's who Ash Ketchum was based on.

Still, Meowth should get in SSB4 already... like you said, every playable Pokemon was featured in the anime or the movie. Meowth is the second-most recurring Pokemon after Pikachu and as far as I know, is still appearing in the anime to this day. Of course, a playable Meowth would not be based on the anime, but rather on the games... Meowth uses Pay Day in the Pokemon games and SSB64/Brawl but cannot use Pay Day in the anime. Meowth can use Fury Swipes in both the games and the anime.

Just bring back Mewtwo and add Meowth and a 5th gen Pokemon (or a 5th gen Pokemon Trainer) as playable characters in SSB4 and I am good to go. We always get at least two newcomers from the Pokemon series. One of them is usually from the 1st gen and the other is from the recent gen with the exception of SSB64 when we only had 1st gen at the time.

SSB64: Pikachu (1st gen), Jigglypuff (1st gen)
Melee: Mewtwo (1st gen), Pichu (2nd gen)
Brawl: Pokemon Trainer (1st gen), Lucario (4th gen)
SSB4: Meowth (1st gen), Zoroark or Victini or new Pokemon Trainer (5th gen)

D

Deleted member

Air tripping has got to be the most ******** thing anyone has said in any thread on this site ever.
Totally this. There's no reason to add more forms of tripping in the first place. No one likes it and it interferes with the match.

Steam

Smash Hero
A lot of characters who have tripping downtilts should keep them, it helps their game a lot. (Donkey Kong, Lucas, etc.)

The shields in brawl were also too powerful. I would like to see more attacks that insta-break shields to make people think about their defensive options rather than just throwing up a shield every time they predict something.
a better idea would be to increase shield stun to make punishing OOS less effective. jussayin. if there was an attack that insta broke shields... that character is now basically broken unless the move was slow as balls.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wtf tripping should stay in??? Da loca.

Its stupid for competitive people like me and my casual friends hate it.

(He might be trolling, if he is, he got me.

If you don't like tripping, stay away from the slippery battlefields and Diddy users. The weak d-tilts can't be avoided though.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
a better idea would be to increase shield stun to make punishing OOS less effective. jussayin. if there was an attack that insta broke shields... that character is now basically broken unless the move was slow as balls.
Why would we do this. That's helping players using unsafe moves on shields. No game should cater to stupid people.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wtf at air tripping. Before you know you are going to say. If you hit someone more than three times in a row, they have to sit down from being "tired"

I have no problem with diddys bananas, because that makes sense. LOL

Kantrip

Kantplay
Wtf at air tripping. Before you know you are going to say. If you hit someone more than three times in a row, they have to sit down from being "tired"

Dude, that's brilliant! That would totally allow for combos without having to increase hitstun! We could just re-use the brawl engine and not have to revert anything if we just make additions like this. Props to you, sir.

D

Deleted member

@Arcadenik: I'd be fine with Meowth appearing in the next Smash and either him or Mewtwo replacing Lucario. It's possible anyway since Charizard was upgraded from a Pokeball to a playable character. That said, let's not replace the original Pokemon Trainer with a 5th gen version and especially not have both versions, that's pointless.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah I didn't think I was ever going to be ahead. I tried to obvious troll is obvious from the beginning but I had to make it easier and easier. Basically this thread has degenerated a lot since the SSB4 discussion thread. Have fun, folks.

D

Deleted member

Also, as Meowth was planned as a playable character in Super Smash Bros., I just recognized that Meowth is more likely then we think.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll add to the tripping statement by stating which d-tilts would cause tripping. The list contains characters that I think will return.

Mario: Yes
Donkey Kong: Yes
Link: No
Samus: No
Yoshi: Yes
Kirby: Yes
Fox: No
Pikachu: Yes
Luigi: Yes
Captain Falcon: No
Ness: Yes
Peach: Yes
Bowser: Yes
Zelda: Yes
Sheik: No
Ice Climbers: Yes
Marth: Yes
Mr. Game & Watch: No
Falco: No
Ganondorf: No
Meta Knight: Yes
Pit: No
Wario: No
Zero Suit Samus: No
Ike: No
Diddy Kong: Yes
Lucas: Yes
King Dedede: Yes
Olimar: Yes
R.O.B.: Yes
Jigglypuff: Yes
Toon Link: Yes
Wolf: Yes
Sonic: No

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'll add to the tripping statement by stating which d-tilts would cause tripping. The list contains characters that I think will return.

Mario: Yes
Donkey Kong: Yes
Link: No
Samus: No
Yoshi: Yes
Kirby: Yes
Fox: No
Pikachu: Yes
Luigi: Yes
Captain Falcon: No
Ness: Yes
Peach: Yes
Bowser: Yes
Zelda: Yes
Sheik: No
Ice Climbers: Yes
Marth: Yes
Mr. Game & Watch: No
Falco: No
Ganondorf: No
Meta Knight: Yes
Pit: No
Wario: No
Zero Suit Samus: No
Ike: No
Diddy Kong: Yes
Lucas: Yes
King Dedede: Yes
Olimar: Yes
R.O.B.: Yes
Jigglypuff: Yes
Toon Link: Yes
Wolf: Yes
Sonic: No
You cut... a lot of characters who frankly, shouldn't be cut. Just saying.

D

Deleted member

@Mario_And_Sonic_Guy: I almost thought you were kidding with cutting out so many playable characters, but I guess you're talking about the d-tilt causing the players to be tripped, right?

majora_787

Smash Hero
@Mario_And_Sonic_Guy: I almost thought you were kidding with cutting out so many playable characters, but I guess you're talking about the d-tilt causing the players to be tripped, right?
OH. OHHH. WHen they said "who will return", I had already reached for the anti-troll bat.

D

Deleted member

Would anyone be in favor of a Dr. Mario stage? I may not want Dr. Mario back, but I think it would be cool to play in a Dr. Mario stage. Imagine Dr. Mario throwing out pills at you and you have to destroy them before you get KO.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You cut... a lot of characters who frankly, shouldn't be cut. Just saying.
Most of the Brawl characters that I didn't state were Pokemon characters. Lucario is a likely candidate for being replaced.

Pokemon Trainer is on my coming back list, but I didn't mention him, since you're playing as his Pokemon.

Yeah I was merely giving out examples, based on how the d-tilts operated in Brawl. D-tilts that cause vertical knockback usually can't cause tripping.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Troll?

Just in case you're serious, we don't need any additional random factors (especially in attacks). The reason I say this is because fighting games have always had a luck factor, but this luck factor was in control of the players (to a certain degree). You don't need anything else really.

Also, as Meowth was planned as a playable character in Super Smash Bros., I just recognized that Meowth is more likely then we think.
No he wasn't. That's just one of many rumors that have been spread too far.

I got a crazy suggestion for you guys. I brought it up in the last thread and thought it'd be worth mentioning again. What do you guys think of normal blocking being in the game? By this, I mean you have to block high or low for certain attacks and you do this by holding the block button (think Mortal Kombat) and either back or down-back, or forward for crossups. The shield would stay on a separate button, but this adds a nice layer of depth and pressure game without changing the game super radically.

Thino

Smash Master
Would anyone be in favor of a Dr. Mario stage? I may not want Dr. Mario back, but I think it would be cool to play in a Dr. Mario stage. Imagine Dr. Mario throwing out pills at you and you have to destroy them before you get KO.
yea thats actually a good idea , the stage would build itself up over giant PILLS and you have to climb them like Rumble Falls with giant pills making you stuck if you dont destroy them in time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom