• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should stop talking about Rosalina since it's really obvious that she won't make it in SSB 4.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't agree with Rosalina being in the game nor do I want to see her in, but what makes spin-offs Toad/Bowser Jr. appears in so different from Rosalina?
The thing is we're not talking about spin-off games, or at least I am not. Toad and Bowser Jr. have had several appearances in the canon Mario series. Toad has been there since the beginning, and Bowser Jr. has been a recurring antagonist in a lot of main Mario games since Super Mario Sunshine.

I'm sure that's what people said about Daisy after the first Mario Tennis game :p
Daisy still hasn't appeared in any canon games since Super Mario Land. Nothing has changed.

I'm not following how relevance is the deciding factor here.
When choosing characters to a specific series, it would seem that Sakurai chooses characters that are most relevant to their respective series most of the time. The only exception has been Melee's clones and Sheik (who is a special character anyway). Also the Pokemon, but they're also a special case.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to debate. I'm simply stating my feelings. Again, I don't feel that Ridley's size is a factor here. He would be wonky and not feel correct in the smash universe. y u so uptight
Not feel CORRECT? We have a character to fit almost every deffinition of 'wonky' there is. Doesn't FIT? <_< He's from a series that is already represented. And he's the main reocurring antagonist, he deserves a spot in one game minimum.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think we should stop talking about Rosalina since it's really obvious that she won't make it in SSB 4.
Not as a separate character anyway. Maybe an alternate outfit for Peach, but that's about it.

The same goes for Daisy too, since she's mostly a spin-off character, just like someone else that we know and love (or loathe).

Thino

Smash Master
Reading this thread is like brain cancer
and we are still only 2012 , just wait , its gonna get better
When choosing characters to a specific series, it would seem that Sakurai chooses characters that are most relevant to their respective series most of the time. The only exception has been Melee's clones and Sheik (who is a special character anyway). Also the Pokemon, but they're also a special case.
bolded is the EXACT reason why I don' t think relevance should be used as a SURE way to determine that Rosalina will not make it to SSB4

D

Deleted member

Mario_And_Sonic_Guy said:
I'm starting to have a feeling that that guy only registered here to discuss Smash Bros. Wii U, and his obsession with Rosalina.

Wake up fella. Rosalina will probably be made as an alternate outfit for Peach, and that's that.
Trust me, we're going to have much worse then this. I've seen stuff on IGN that makes Rosalina_suporter look like a genius.
Bassoonist said:
The thing is we're not talking about spin-off games, or at least I am not. Toad and Bowser Jr. have had several appearances in the canon Mario series. Toad has been there since the beginning, and Bowser Jr. has been a recurring antagonist in a lot of main Mario games since Super Mario Sunshine.
I asked that because I don't understand why you would ignore zap tackle's Toad's posts on games Toad has appeared in even thought he listed quite a few of spin-offs yet you consider it irrelevant for Rosalina to have appeared in Mario Kart Wii. Why bring this up now and not earlier (Or have you already brought it up against zap tackle?)?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I think relevance shouldn't entirely matter. The most recent DK game was DKCR and Tiki Tong or Tak or whatever the f*ck his name was was the villain. Does that mean he is more deserving than K Rool? No. DK fans will want K Rool no matter how 'irrelevant' he becomes because he is the TRUE villain of the DK franchise. Just because developers can f*ck up horribly does not mean it should determine smash eligibility. I mean, the most recent Metroid game, Other M, Ridley looks like a purple Woody Woodpecker, completely neutering the character of all menace. Does this Ridley's 'relevance' mean that we SHOULD get Woody Woodpecker in Smash 4 vs badass Ridley? I certainly hope not.

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Trust me, we're going to have much worse then this. I've seen stuff on IGN that makes Rosalina_suporter look like a genius.
I definitely cannot wait.
Yeah there will be picks that will be much more stupid than what has been discussed here recently.

If anyone mentions about a generic enemy, such as a Goomba, being playable, give that person a cream pie on the face.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I can't change my user name, and i cant make a new acount so im stuck with this one lol..

I don't care who gets in im just exsited to have a new ssb in a few year's.

I'f she can get in as a Assist trophy that would be cool to, then all of my supporting her would be worth something.

I don't think she's a stupid idea i just...I just wanted to suggest some one new is all..

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Not as a separate character anyway. Maybe an alternate outfit for Peach, but that's about it.

The same goes for Daisy too, since she's mostly a spin-off character, just like someone else that we know and love (or loathe).
Agreed, Rosalina would at most be an Assist trophy of some sort or possibly a palette swap, Daisy lives within Peach so there.

You guys better settle down a bit, it's getting awfully loud in here, there's no dojo yet nor is it 2012/2013 yet.:awesome:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think relevance shouldn't entirely matter. The most recent DK game was DKCR and Tiki Tong or Tak or whatever the f*ck his name was was the villain. Does that mean he is more deserving than K Rool? No. DK fans will want K Rool no matter how 'irrelevant' he becomes because he is the TRUE villain of the DK franchise. Just because developers can f*ck up horribly does not mean it should determine smash eligibility. I mean, the most recent Metroid game, Other M, Ridley looks like a purple Woody Woodpecker, completely neutering the character of all menace. Does this Ridley's 'relevance' mean that we SHOULD get Woody Woodpecker in Smash 4 vs badass Ridley? I certainly hope not.

Tiki Tong could always be made into a boss for Adventure Mode. Woody is a cartoon character, so he's got a less than 0% chance of making the cut; basically, you won't have to worry about him.

I can't change my user name, and i cant make a new acount so im stuck with this one lol..

I don't care who gets in im just exsited to have a new ssb in a few year's.
Yeah this isn't Kitty Corp.. Over there, you can change the name that gets displayed on your posts.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
bolded is the EXACT reason why I don' t think relevance should be used as a SURE way to determine that Rosalina will not make it to SSB4
Well, I just don't see how Rosalina would be so interesting to Sakurai to make her a character despite the odds. She just doesn't seem like the kind of character that he would surprise us with.

I asked that because I don't understand why you would ignore zap tackle's Toad's posts on games Toad has appeared in even thought he listed quite a few of spin-offs yet you consider it irrelevant for Rosalina to have appeared in Mario Kart Wii. Why bring this up now and not earlier (Or have you already brought it up against zap tackle?)?
I don't remember reading those posts, so that's why I didn't bring it up.

@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy Reread Hoots post. They weren't actually talking about Woody Woodpecker.

D

Deleted member

Hoots said:
This. Sakurai has said nothing about relevance determining whenever or not a character gets in the game and based off the fact that Dixie Kong was planned for Brawl, it probably isn't.

Even if it does matter, for Dixie Kong and King K. Rool, both appeared in a spin-off game in 2009 (Mario Super Sluggers) which was successful in Japan and North America (Despite a lack of release outside of those two countries).
Bassoonist said:
I don't remember reading those posts, so that's why I didn't bring it up.
Zap tackle brought it up here:
Zap tackle said:
- a green Toad seems to be a new partner in Paper Mario 3DS (a first for the series)
- Toad is the only newcomer from the Mario series in Mario Sports Mix
- Mini-Toads in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series
Zap tackle said:
Not to mention his future appearances:
-Toad is playable in Mario Party 9
-Appears as a starter in Mario Kart 3DS
-He apparently has an important role in Luigi's Mansion 2 by seeking ghosts with Luigi.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Also, he defeated himself in his own argument by saying, "well the game is called super mario galaxy, not super rosalina galaxy". Just because game title doesn't have a the character's name in it doesn't mean that character can't be playable or play an important role.

Bowser is important but the game isn't called super bowser galaxy now is it? Bad argument is bad. The game titles (many) without having the main character(s) name in it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, he defeated himself in his own argument by saying, "well the game is called super mario galaxy, not super rosalina galaxy". Just because game title doesn't have a the character's name in it doesn't mean that character can't be playable or play an important role.

Bowser is important but the game isn't called super bowser galaxy now is it? Bad argument is bad. The game titles (many) without having the main character(s) name in it.

Yeah whenever people contradict their own statements, it makes them feel like complete idiots. I should know, because I've done some stupid things during the Brawl discussions.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I do that sometimes whenever my responses drag on. After too long of a post, I forget what I was saying and just start rambling.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Just because developers can f*ck up horribly does not mean it should determine smash eligibility.
Donkey Kong Returns was incredibly well received and sold very well, so saying that the developers "f*cked up horribly" is pretty hilarious.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And most games never even have the protagonist title at all. Sorry Rosalina, use logic before posting.

Whenever you see the name "Mario" in a game name. Mario is almost always the main protagonist.

However, in "Donkey Kong", Donkey Kong was the antagonist, NOT the protagonist.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
The only reason I think Ridley wasn't in SSBB as a playable character is because Sakurai may have thought he would just be better as a boss.
There honestly isn't a reason he wouldn't be a playable character in SSBU.

Unless they made another awesome cutscene like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcb9eA03zE

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sakurai stated that if they tried, they could make him work, but they didn't want to try. But the thing is, what they "feel like trying" is a little less important than fan demand when it comes to making a popular fanservice fighting game. <_<

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Donkey Kong Returns was incredibly well received and sold very well, so saying that the developers "f*cked up horribly" is pretty hilarious.
Sure it was a good platformer but it wasn't a DK game. They slapped DK and Diddy onto a Mario physics engine, scrapped many staples of the DKC games that made them so memorable, and cut KREMLINGS. And I am being more generous than a lot of DK fans that I've talked to. Im saying they made a fun game, and kept most of the DKC1 soundtrack, but they DID f*ck up horribly in continuing the DK franchise overall. A lot of people liked Other M (Maybe? I think?), but does that mean that Ridley doesn't look hilariously dumb?

User33

Smash Journeyman
Sure it was a good platformer but it wasn't a DK game. They slapped DK and Diddy onto a Mario physics engine, scrapped many staples of the DKC games that made them so memorable, and cut KREMLINGS. And I am being more generous than a lot of DK fans that I've talked to. Im saying they made a fun game, and kept most of the DKC1 soundtrack, but they DID f*ck up horribly in continuing the DK franchise overall. A lot of people liked Other M (Maybe? I think?), but does that mean that Ridley doesn't look hilariously dumb?

Other M was very poorly received and sold very poorly. A sharp contrast compared to Donkey Kong Returns. Nintendo is very happy with DKR's success.

D

Deleted member

Other M was very poorly received and sold very poorly. A sharp contrast compared to Donkey Kong Returns. Nintendo is very happy with DKR's success.
You're a hypocrite. Saying that Metroid: Other M was received very poorly and sold very poorly is a huge exaggeration. The game sold well and fare better with critics then most Wii games.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Well, Dead or Alive for the 3DS had that Geothermal stage with Ridley in it. I don't see why not, but there are so many other good places Metroid provides that it seems illogical to put an Other M stage in there.

I mean, Chozo Temple from Tallon IV, Tourian from Zebes, the BSL from Metroid Fusion. Metroid has a lot of great locations...the Bottle Ship from Other M really isn't one of them.

A Phendrana Drifts stage would be pretty legit, as well. Other M wasn't necessarily a bad game, it's just probably one of the worst of an otherwise amazing franchise. Being the worst of the best isn't really the worst thing in the world.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Regardless, commercial success doesn't mean that they did justice to the source material. Ergo, to adequately represent the DK franchise would not be to focus on DKCR because that game was hardly a DK title, no matter how well it sold.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably mention some mechanics that should be adjusted...

Brawl has been infamous for random tripping. Tripping should be heavily fixed up so that it meets the following standards...

1: When attacked, players would only trip from low angled attacks; attacks that strike the feet.

2: Players would only trip randomly while on slippery terrain. The Ice Climbers would be immune to this scenario, thanks to their footwear.

3: Banana Peels can still be used to cause players to trip.

4: Tripping on normal terrain would be fully removed. Only the things mentioned above will lead to tripping.

Steam

Smash Hero
oh you know nintendo, they'll find a way to work a gimmick into it. you'll probably have to use some motion control that moves your character's feet individually, and if their feet get too close they trip since they're all cartoon characters and have clown feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom