• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Ninten? Why would he be deserving enough considering the Earthbound franchise is already semi-dead? If it meant replacing Lucas I guess, but not for a second do I believe Earthbound will be getting 3 reps, much less that it deserves to do so.

:phone:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I actually though believe that Ninten could make a great third rep, to complete the Mother Bond of Three Boys.

Anyway, can any of you tell how to make the spoiler tags so you need to press the button in the post in order to reveal text inside it?

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Ninten? Why would he be deserving enough considering the Earthbound franchise is already semi-dead? If it meant replacing Lucas I guess, but not for a second do I believe Earthbound will be getting 3 reps, much less that it deserves to do so.

Well .. Earthbound would be complete with a third (or better, first) protagonist in Sm4sh, and besides, there are rumors that a 'Earthbound Collection' will be released for 3ds. It is not a certainty, but that would resurrect the series.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well .. Earthbound would be complete with a third (or better, first) protagonist in Sm4sh, and besides, there are rumors that a 'Earthbound Collection' will be released for 3ds. It is not a certainty, but that would resurrect the series.
It won't be released in the U.S. (Or outside Japan)

I can tell you that much

The 3DS is region exclusive too

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

He would just be... unnecessary. Look, I'm a huge EarthBound fan, but he's not needed. He could be an AT, boss, trophy, or an alternate outfit, for sure, but two main characters for such a small series is good enough. There are many great roles he could make in Smash Bros, but playable character is not one of them, unless they will cut Ness (I think he's a lock from now on, along with everyone from Melee who returned in Brawl), and probably Lucas as well.

Let's not make every 5 million units solder or less Nintendo series Star Fox and give out roster spots to characters like Wolf despite the fact he's not even the main character, and shows up for a boss battle or two in like 3 games, two of which were average.

If we're talking Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario, Pokémon, or heck, even Sonic we could give out those kind of roles (to anti-heroes, consistent characters and icons like Toad or Dixie Kong, or main enemies like K. Rool). That is because there are many well known and well liked characters that could be completely original. C'mon-there were hundreds of people who wanted the following in LOZ charactesr in Brawl: Vatti, Ralph, that creepy thief Tingle, Midna (both with and without Wolf Link; I still think it could be original and awesome), Toon Zelda, and even that weird man with boobs named Sheik, not to mention countless others characters who don't have that big of a role. Heck, I remember someone making a thread for Error (from Zelda II; he was an Error!) and Link's Uncle from A Link to the Past (albeit that was for lulz).

While I wouldn't go that far with Zelda, I would be willing to give away a roster spot to a say Midna or Toon Zelda/Toon Tetra if either of them had a more consistent role in the Zelda universe. (similar to what is happening to Bowser Jr, and hopefully Kamek!)

Barbasol

Smash Ace
So, people want a THIRD earthbound rep now?

Oh and he's even MORE like Ness than Lucas was? Why? What could he possibly add to Smash Bros?

I could name several earthbound characters that would actually add something; Gigyas (actual form), Claus/Masked Man, Porky, Jeff, Poo. Even then I don't want a third Mother character. One was enough, Two is too many as is.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
He would just be... unnecessary. Look, I'm a huge EarthBound fan, but he's not needed. He could be an AT, boss, trophy, or an alternate outfit, for sure, but two main characters for such a small series is good enough. There are many great roles he could make in Smash Bros, but playable character is not one of them, unless they will cut Ness (I think he's a lock from now on, along with everyone from Melee who returned in Brawl), and probably Lucas as well.

Let's not make every 5 million units solder or less Nintendo series Star Fox and give out roster spots to characters like Wolf despite the fact he's not even the main character, and shows up for a boss battle or two in like 3 games, two of which were average.

If we're talking Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario, Pokémon, or heck, even Sonic we could give out those kind of roles (to anti-heroes, consistent characters and icons like Toad or Dixie Kong, or main enemies like K. Rool). That is because there are many well known and well liked characters that could be completely original. C'mon-there were hundreds of people who wanted the following in LOZ charactesr in Brawl: Vatti, Ralph, that creepy thief Tingle, Midna (both with and without Wolf Link; I still think it could be original and awesome), Toon Zelda, and even that weird man with boobs named Sheik, not to mention countless others characters who don't have that big of a role. Heck, I remember someone making a thread for Error (from Zelda II; he was an Error!) and Link's Uncle from A Link to the Past (albeit that was for lulz).

While I wouldn't go that far with Zelda, I would be willing to give away a roster spot to a say Midna or Toon Zelda/Toon Tetra if either of them had a more consistent role in the Zelda universe. (similar to what is happening to Bowser Jr, and hopefully Kamek!)
But we have to take into account that all Character who you quoted are just supporting, many of them (except Toad and Dixie) are unnecessary. Ninten is a protagonist!

OmegaXXII

Even if it were to complete a Earthbound Trio, 3 Earthbound reps are way to many, unless we get a new game, then it probably unlikely, but then again since that game will be Japan only it might influence Sakurai only if he shows interest in doing so, otherwise I really can't see it happening.

Also having a complete trio doesn't make sense, that's like saying Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi should all be in just because they are all dressed as plumbers, when in fact Waluigi isn't even a deserving enough and isn't on par with the other three.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
But we have to take into account that all Character who you quoted are just supporting, many of them (except Toad and Dixie) are unnecessary. Ninten is a protagonist!
If being a protagonist is the only qualification;
Lyn
Hector
Eliwood
Roy
Siglud
Leaf
Celice
Micaiah
and others. I guess Fire Emblem deserves 10+ characters, right?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
When it comes to a series getting another character, Earthbound is the least deserving series. Earthbound doesn't need two characters, and they should never have three. I mean, if we wanted to "Complete" Yoshi's franchise, Baby Mario, and Kamek/Bowser Jr. are needed, yet no one is using series completions as an argument for those characters. Because it's silly.

No Ninten. He could be a costume/re-color though.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Even if it were to complete a Earthbound Trio, 3 Earthbound reps are way to many, unless we get a new game, then it probably unlikely, but then again since that game will be Japan only it might influence Sakurai only if he shows interest in doing so, otherwise I really can't see it happening.

Also having a complete trio doesn't make sense, that's like saying Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi should all be in just because they are all dressed as plumbers, when in fact Waluigi isn't even a deserving enough and isn't on par with the other three.

And if the game is released internationally;
And if Sakurai care about Earthbound;
And if?

There are many possibilities that can be considered by Sakurai, and Ninten is one of the 'Top'! because he is a protagonist!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We need to complete the Mario series and add EVERY character that has been important to Mario game "plots"!

OmegaXXII

How is K. Rool unneccesary? Did I misunderstand since you just mentioned that those others that John mentioned arent necessary??!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want DKC 2 K Rool, but I know we won't get that.

I think he has the best personality from that game. Not just a generic evil reptillian king.

No! He's a redneck-looking-blunderbuss wielding sky pirate

OmegaXXII

Of course he is, IMO he his more deserving than Dixie Kong, even if Sakurai happened to have showed interest in a Diddy/Dixie duo, I still believe King. K.Rool as the antagonist he is should get his spot reserved in Smash 4, he can be considered as the Bowser of Metroid, plus he's a very iconic villain in the franchise as well.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah I know, but Tingle has been a constant character in Zelda since Majora's Mask, as well as a character who got his own spin-off games.

Skull Kid was a main villain (along with Majora's Mask itself) in Majora's Mask, as well as a minor character in Ocarina of Time (which has now been remade twice), as well as Twilight Princess.

Midna was the most constant character in Twilight Princess, after Link (that game probably sold more than triple the entire EarthBound/Mother series sold).

Sure Ninten was the main character of one game. But he literally is nearly the same thing as Ness. They have nearly the same moves, weapons, and attacks, minus Ness having a few more tricks up his sleeve and a much more developed story (at least in my opinion). On top of that, one of the reasons Sakurai didn't let Ness go was probably because players had become attached to him. Lucas was added to the smash bros series because he very different from Ness and Ninten, and really warranted his own spot.

If we added every Fire Emblem main character, we'd have like at least 8 (probably like 3 or 4 for the 7th game, and first released internationally). It's one thing that they added the newest main characters of the series (Roy and Ike) alongside their classic symbol of the franchise (Marth) who has been in now 3 games (Ness has somewhat become that icon for the Mother franchise). It's another to go back and dig up the oldest main character in a series who wasn't very popular (Mother 1 is the least popular game in the franchise; most of it's fans focus on the latter 2, for better or worse), isn't wanted by mainstream audiences anywhere, doesn't warrant much of a retro spot, and couldn't serve a role that isn't already served.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Of course he is, IMO he his more deserving than Dixie Kong, even if Sakurai happened to have showed interest in a Diddy/Dixie duo, I still believe King. K.Rool as the antagonist he is should get his spot reserved in Smash 4, he can be considered as the Bowser of Metroid, plus he's a very iconic villain in the franchise as well.

K. Rool is the Bowser of Metroid? xD

EDIT: CONSTANT CHARACTER?? Are you kidding? <_< He's been in five games. Ever. I am not counting his spin-off games. r_r Because I'm assuming, since you defend him, you consider him a zelda character.

majora_787

Smash Hero
AS A MATTER OF FACT, this is what Tingle's appearences look like.

[][][][][][x][x][][][x][x][x][][][][]

[] = No appearance
[x] = Apperance

Constant my butt. <_<

EDIT: Johnknight.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
EDIT: CONSTANT CHARACTER?? Are you kidding? <_< He's been in five games. Ever. I am not counting his spin-off games. r_r Because I'm assuming, since you defend him, you consider him a zelda character.
Lol, can you give me another Zelda character who isn't already in Smash, that has been in five games?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

In terms of impact of the story, you are correct. Although Dixie Kong was one of the two main and playable characters in two huge hits (Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3), and is a well-known character. However, K. Rool is always the villain, and is always a constant for the series. He is Donkey Kong's Bowser, or rather, his new Mario! :laugh: He's always the funny, awkward, creepy, yet wimpy villain you encounter at the end, whether as a king, a pirate, or a boxer! :psycho: He's always trying to stop those crazy Kongs! :grin:

However, Dixie Kong is more deserving because more people probably want her in, and it is probably easier to draw up a moveset for her, similarly to how easy it was to add Diddy Kong in Brawl.

It really depending on which way you view popularity, support, and main playable character status (Dixie Kong) vs. antagonist, a character's constant role as a main character, and the overall series story significance depends on which is more worthy or deserving.

It also depends on how you view which one could be more original. (Dixie could use her hair and her unique abilities of flight and hair strength, while K. Rool could be an interesting "big man" character with a lot of unique range weapons and attack) I don't see why both shouldn't be strongly considered. They could both add a lot of things to the series. IMO I would love to see both of them. However, Dixie has the edge because Sakurai almost already put her in.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Lol, can you give me a Zelda character who isn't already in Smash, that has been in five games?
The master sword, since thanks to Skyward Sword I suppose it's a character now.

Jokes aside, there are VIRTUALLY no hugely relevant zelda characters. All of the hugely relevant ones are in already.

We MAY get Girahim, MAYBE. But certainly not Tingle. We've gotten all of the characters who have been in over five games.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Majora
I was making the argument Tingle is just as worthy as Ninten. I hate him, I hate him, and I hate him, but he does have some relevance. Is he deserving? NO! But he was an AT in Brawl, so that could mean something. I agree that all the main Zelda characters are in (plus that freak of Satan-spawning weirdness that is Sheik), unless Toon Zelda/Toon Tetra stared in another Zelda game or two. They got a new Toon Zelda, so that eliminates the chances of the latter IMO, but you never know. Sheik made it over Wario in Melee, after all, which still sounds really, really stupid.

majora_787

Smash Hero
@ Majora
I was making the argument Tingle is just as worthy as Ninten. I hate him, I hate him, and I hate him, but he does have some relevance. Is he deserving? NO! But he was an AT in Brawl, so that could mean something. I agree that all the main Zelda characters are in (plus that freak of Satan-spawning weirdness that is Sheik), unless Toon Zelda/Toon Tetra stared in another Zelda game or two. They got a new Toon Zelda, so that eliminates the chances of the latter IMO, but you never know. Sheik made it over Wario in Melee, after all, which still sounds really, really stupid.
Oh. I see. Yeah, I agree that Earthbound does not merit three reps, especially if we just got more of the same with ANOTHER psychic child.

I can't explain Sheik, other than that Melee was using OoT as reference material at the time. o_O

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, but still Nintendo had revealed the Wind Waker by the time Melee was in development, and it was clear from Majora's Mask that Sheik would never come back. On top of that, she made only about 10 quick appearances in the game. Epona was more worthy to be a playable character than Sheik. :laugh: Fortunately she didn't come back in Twilight Princess. She just looks.... creepy. I still remember that I friggen got a picture of her when she was first announced in Brawl, and circled her breasts and wrote "Zomg! Boobs confurmed!" because we finally had proof Sheik was a woman! :grin: :laugh: :chuckle: :psycho:

Tsubame

Smash Cadet
Ok, if anyone here that supports tingle can give me a GOOD MOVESET then i will agree.
since everyone brought up tingle i haven't heard of one good moveset, and i really don't think he can fight

convince me!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, but still Nintendo had revealed the Wind Waker by the time Melee was in development, and it was clear from Majora's Mask that Sheik would never come back. On top of that, she made only about 10 quick appearances in the game. Epona was more worthy to be a playable character than Sheik. :laugh: Fortunately she didn't come back in Twilight Princess. She just looks.... creepy. I still remember that I friggen got a picture of her when she was first announced in Brawl, and circled her breasts and wrote "Zomg! Boobs confurmed!" because we finally had proof Sheik was a woman! :grin: :laugh: :chuckle: :psycho:
I actually think the Sheik gender thing is pointless. CLEARLY Sheik has no gender, being a disguise and all that. =P

EDIT: It doesn't matter if he would have a good set. What matters is if he would be a good character. Which he is not and will never be.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Tingle definitely has the most going for him as a 5th Zelda rep. Which we don't neeeeeed.
Yeah Tingle would definitely have the best shot at being a potential new Zelda rep, along with Toon Zelda (possibly with Toon Tetra). I'm not big on the idea of Toon Zelda possibly being in smash, but the idea of Tingle making it has made me a huge fan of the idea of her making it to protect us from his... weirdness, creepiness, and stereotypical homosexual actions. (he is totally a homosexual stereotype to the max!) Plus I'm pretty sure he stolen over 10,000 rupees from me. :grin: :cool: :laugh:

Also who cares about his moveset? He could rob a moveset from Balloon Fighter (who is way cooler), or make up some really stereotypical gay man moveset. (I'm trying not to be offensive with Tingle while bringing up that he is a homosexual male stereotype... which is hard!) The fact that he is so lame makes him unworthy. I'd rather see Silver the Hedgehog as the only Sonic rep in Smash Bros Wii U make it over Tingle. That's right. I WENT THAT FAR!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
We MAY get Girahim, MAYBE. But certainly not Tingle. We've gotten all of the characters who have been in over five games.
Certainly not?. . . Why would you say that? It's very true, we don't need any new Zelda characters, but why add someone who will never return vs adding a popular character who has his own spin-off? On a much smaller scale, it's like adding Wart over adding Yoshi.

protect us from his... weirdness, creepiness, and stereotypical homosexual actions. (he is totally a homosexual stereotype to the max!)
Lets keep this friendly now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Certainly not?. . . Why would you say that? It's very true, we don't need any new Zelda characters, but why add someone who will never return vs adding a popular character who has his own spin-off? On a much smaller scale, it's like adding Wart over adding Yoshi.

Lets keep this friendly now.
Take your pick. Is he a spin-off character or a Zelda character? =P

Spin-off : Not big enough to merit being in Smash unless as a last resort.
Zelda : ONLY popular in Japan, and is a pretty minor character in every aspect.

And I am disturbed and appalled that you are comparing Tingle to Yoshi.

OmegaXXII

However, Dixie Kong is more deserving because more people probably want her in, and it is probably easier to draw up a moveset for her, similarly to how easy it was to add Diddy Kong in Brawl.

It really depending on which way you view popularity, support, and main playable character status (Dixie Kong) vs. antagonist, a character's constant role as a main character, and the overall series story significance depends on which is more worthy or deserving.

It also depends on how you view which one could be more original. (Dixie could use her hair and her unique abilities of flight and hair strength, while K. Rool could be an interesting "big man" character with a lot of unique range weapons and attack) I don't see why both shouldn't be strongly considered. They could both add a lot of things to the series. IMO I would love to see both of them. However, Dixie has the edge because Sakurai almost already put her in.
I agree with Dixie being playable but to be honest though, if she will turn out as a solo character plus have a have a similar moveset to Diddy Kong then I'd rather have King K. Rool for that matter, he would definitely more unique with heavy blows, probably being a slow character as well, not to say that I wouldn't be looking forward to Dixie in a duo because then I'd be fibbing, I believe she along with Diddy kong would create a (near limitless) GOD tier considering diddy is 2nd next to Meta-Knight in terms of Tiers.:awesome:

Overall though, I really wouldn't ming if we got both King. K. Rool and Dixie Diddy Duo, but id it came down to a solo Dixie then King K. Rool would definitely be my choice for consideration.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Seriously, unless Sakurai can make an original moveset with Toon Zelda and Toon Tetra (I don't really have an opinion on it), a new Zelda rep would be pointless. Unless... the BEAST that is Ganon was playable and was... you know... not a trillion feet tall.

@ Shortiecanbrawl
I'm just pointing it out that he is merely a character who acts like a stereotype. I'm not saying that stereotype is true or untrue, but I am saying that he really, really, acts like the eccentric tights wearing homosexual male stereotype that a lot of people believe is true (on top of that, in the Wind Waker he lives on an island with other men wearing tights), which to me is somewhat offensive, and I think pretty much eliminates his chances. His inclusion could really indite much unneeded controversy for the smash bros series (it already probably has gathered controversy within the Zelda series), which is what I'm trying to point out.

@ Omega
I'm against the idea of Dixie and Diddy Kong teaming, because I feel it'd take away from their originality. Plus let's be honest-that'd be a formula for Meta Knight to the next level! Banana combos with Dixie's hair range and Diddy's side B would equal disaster for the tiers in 1v1. Just thinking about them in 2 on 2's is scary! o.O :psycho:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ok, if anyone here that supports tingle can give me a GOOD MOVESET then i will agree.
since everyone brought up tingle i haven't heard of one good moveset, and i really don't think he can fight

convince me!
He stars in three games of his own. If you want to see how he fights, just look them up on youtube: Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle's Balloon Fight, and Irozuki Tingle no Koi no Balloon Trip.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
My comments are in red. Keep in mind that I judge all lists I see as based on realism, not who I like or dislike.

Also I found an interview earlier where Sakurai stated that some absent features in Brawl (notably voice chat and DLC) were due to system limitations rather than anything else. I'll try to find it later.

Finally, I do like Ghirahim and think would be rather humorous to have him in Sm4sh. However, I think he'll suffer the same fate as my other favorite Zelda character Midna.
G&W games were all handheld, and there have been several G&W collections for handhelds.
I think Mario RPG should be counted as different.
Mario Party/Kart/Sports is HUGE. It needs a rep. And if not Waluigi, who?
I couldn't think of anyone other than skull kid for the Wii U version.
I explained mewtwo in the statement next to the Pokemon heading.
I put in Micaiah because she was the main character of the newest non-remake FE game.
We do need 2 Animal Crossing reps for them to fill a Fire Emblem role.
I don't know why I typed ness in.
Why not? Excitebike was a wildly popular game.
I don't know about how sakurai feels about Sukapon, but he makes sense.
Sheriff is the main character of the first game nintendo ever did.
Geno was one of the most wanted characters for brawl.
Scizor Represents the 2nd gen.
The Hoenn Trainer reps the 3rd gen.
The 3DS version Reps games, the console reps pop-culture. Lucario Reps the 4th gen.
What do you mean? Of course Genesect has.
Phantom Zelda/Tetra is a transformation between Phantom Zelda and Tetra.
Why don't you like Vaati?
Overall, The Baby mario Bros. are more significant.
He DIED?
You could discount every newcomer in existence because "they missed their chance in brawl."
I might get rid of Sylux.
What's wrong with jill or the Flipnote Frog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom