• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hey PsychoIncarnate, is there anything noteworthy that happened on the Internet during Brawl's development? I'm very curious to see the lulz R.I.D.L.E.Y. and A.S.H.L.E.Y. generated along with many other stuffs. I just want to go back in time and see how things were during Brawl's development.

Also, Encyclopedia Dramatica is coming back up so I would expect those groups to get an ED article since they used to have them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey PsychoIncarnate, is there anything noteworthy that happened on the Internet during Brawl's development? I'm very curious to see the lulz R.I.D.L.E.Y. and A.S.H.L.E.Y. generated along with many other stuffs. I just want to go back in time and see how things were during Brawl's development.

Also, Encyclopedia Dramatica is coming back up so I would expect those groups to get an ED article since they used to have them.
To my knowledge, ASHLEY wasn't a very organized group. They just formed it to mock RIDLEY, who the majority of the people that spammed their thread were from.

ASHLEY also wasn't very good at fighting back. Their numbers weren't that high and basically only one troll of a member even did anything.

RIDLEY had a lot of flaming and trolling around the forum, but it wasn't anything big (Hell I probably did as much) until one day they organized a simulations attack throughout all of Smashboards. Spamming all threads and trolling some of them. This attack is how Ridley threads were banned from Smashboards and even putting something that sounded like Ridley in the title (AKA Rid Lee) got you banned.

Shortly after that Smashboards got kinda boring and it was all about prophets, one of which actually had the right roster but no one believed him.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I just found this article on SSB4 during this year's E3 conference. It specifically references the imbalance of characters in Brawl, particularly Metaknight, as well the few other scraps of information we know about SSB4.

I'm sure most of you have seen it, but nevertheless, I'll post the link here.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1174428p1.html

Edit: Apparently character balance was previously only managed by Sakurai. He will be including his staff in the process now to try to alleviate imbalance.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Sorry 'bout the half hour pause, I had to get to my 2D character design class. back to conversation and overall mood at the time:
If it's not, then you need some English lessons. You and I also have differing definitions for various words and how they are implemented. you will not yield. you will never see it my way. i will not see your reason as viable since i have my own justifications. for now, leave it as.

i reviewed the conversations and both views regarding ridley have ridley as viable. it is just that little nit pick that pits ridley in separate zones... it is pointless to debate it if we cannot understand the other zone. and you clearly don't understand my zone... clearly.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm bored, so here's my Cadea moveset along with a bad *** photo I found of her that is perfect for Smash. http://ikusaba.nomaki.jp/gallery/fe/ps/an-sheeda.htm

Cadea/Shiida

Notes:
Has a fast walking and running speed (close to ZS Samus),
Is Floaty and has good air speed,
Is light weight (about Zelda's)

Pros:
Amazing Recovery
Can Glide
Very Fast
Weapon Change leads to interesting mix-ups and unique strategies,
D-Air + Lance is one of the best Meteor Smashes in the game,

Cons:
Is light weight and floaty
Poor Projectile
Few Kill Moves

Specials:

Neutral - Javelin/Sonic Sword - throws her lance a short distance, you charge it up like Link's Bow in order to gain distance and speed, but it makes her a sitting target, / slashes her sword to create a magic air slash, can't charge, faster but weaker than Javelin

Side - Pegasus Charge - dashes forward a short distance and at the end slashes with her weapon, when she slashes it can be a Meteor Smash, think Wolf Flash but horizontal,

Up - Mount - mounts onto her Pegasus and is able to fly for a short period, same as Wings of Icarus, but can attack during it however it doesn't last as long, 2-3 Seconds,

Down - Weapon Change - Changes her weapon, from lance to sword and vice versa, lance has better range but poor knockback and vice versa, only on the ground, leaves her vulnerable for a second,

Final - Triangle Attack - launches opponent into the air and middle of the stage like Great Aether, the Pegasus Sisters (Palla, Catria, Est) appear on their Pegasus's and do their signature Triangle Attack, doing 3 hits 20 damage each, good knockback,

Tilts:

Neutral/Jab - starts a rapid stabbing motion similar to Link's jab with her weapon,

Forward - leans forward and stabs opponent's with her weapon,

Up - a basic vertical slash,

Down - swipes at the ground with her weapon,

Dash - slides

Aerials:

Neutral - same as U-Air but in a forward position

Forward - same as F-Tilt but in the air,

Up - spins her weapon similar to Ike's U-Air

Down - thrusts her weapon downwards, can Meteor Smash (with the lance it may be the best in the game),

Back - same as F-Air but backwards,

Smashes:

Forward - attacks with both her weapons for 2 hits,

Up - thrusts her equipped weapon up in the air,

Down - like Marth's D-Smash,

Throws:

Pummel - hits opponent with her knee,

Forward - pushes opponent forward a tiny bit, then stabs them in the back with her weapon,

Up - throws opponent up above her, she stabs them midair with her weapon,

Down - throws opponent down, jumps up and stabs them with her weapon,

Back - same as forward throw, but behind,

Other:

Gliding - Summons her Pegasus

Taunts:

1. Playfully spins her lance/slashes her sword
2. Pets her Pegasus
3. Holds her weapon out, Says "I won't lose here!", if fighting Marth she says "Please stop my love..."

Costumes:

Green - Palla
Blue - Catria
Pink - Est
Orange - Elinca
White - Wedding Gown?

Kirby Hat: Gains her long blue hair, when copying her, he alternates between both her weapons,

Notes:
In FE3 she could dismount from her Pegasus to become a Soldier Class unit who fight with swords. So fighting on her legs is still a reality.

The Pegasus Sisters, Palla, Catria, and Est, need to make cameos in Smash. As not only are they the most popular Female characters in the FE Series, the Japanese love them, they also appear as playable characters in more FE games then even Marth. 5 games total, Marth only has 4. They deserve an appearance.
Hey noy bad, I like the way you gave her the Triangle Attack as her Final Smash, it would look awesome indeed.

She is definetly another FE character I would like to use aside from The Black Knight, I like your Caeda moveset alot. :)

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey noy bad, I like the way you gave her the Triangle Attack as her Final Smash, it would look awesome indeed.

She is definetly another FE character I would like to use aside from The Black Knight, I like your Caeda moveset alot. :)

What would you do if they made her playable in smash, but she used sword instead of lance?

Her appeal seems to be her use of the lance as a weapon, which makes her unique.

D

Deleted member

@PsychoIncarnate: Thanks. Glad to have known of this.

I think if the current state of the fan base indicates anything, we can expect as much if not more drama then Brawl generated. We should grab our popcorns and see how this rolls out.

Once we are to have a subforum, one thing I'm looking forward to do is opening a Victini alliance to generate support for his inclusion, which so far isn't allowed on this forum.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What would you do if they made her playable in smash, but she used sword instead of lance?

Her appeal seems to be her use of the lance as a weapon, which makes her unique.
If you looked at my moveset, I gave her both, switching them with her D-Special. Problem solved. lol

OmegaXXII

Well what I would do is give her a lance as her main weapon, after all she is very much known for it plus it's her primary weapon of choice, I also make her playable as herself, no need to have the Pegusus like she did in her games, shecould very well be adjusted much like Falcon was.

D

Deleted member

What characters would you consider pleasant surprises and ones you consider nasty surprises:

Pleasant: Sukapon, Crono

Nasty: Phoenix Wright, Rosalina

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To be honest, I wouldn't really dislike any character getting into smash, even tingle.

I was going to say that, but for some reason Rosalina getting into smash seems like a big waste. I'm sure there are other characters that I wouldn't dislike so much as think they are a waste

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I just found this article on SSB4 during this year's E3 conference. It specifically references the imbalance of characters in Brawl, particularly Metaknight, as well the few other scraps of information we know about SSB4.

I'm sure most of you have seen it, but nevertheless, I'll post the link here.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1174428p1.html

Edit: Apparently character balance was previously only managed by Sakurai. He will be including his staff in the process now to try to alleviate imbalance.
Actually, that is wrong.

Sakurai is saying that as the games after starting without a firm plan (because he is doing Kid Icarus Uprising still). He actually said that online data shows that every character has about the same success rate. You can find that info in either the first post of the Wii U or 3DS thread (not sure which one).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Down Special - centerpiece, create pits, laggy, must stun first rather than generic setup
Neutral Special - standard projectile, herds opponents around, holds them in by bouncing
Up Special - standard recovery, pushes opponents down into pits, safety net for Bowser
Side Special - standard recovery, manually bring opponents down (also by climbing down), climb to safety for lower stage recover, bury opponents for shockwave hitbox vulnerability

Jab - long range attack, carries opponents into prone or into pits
Dash Attack - drag opponents into pits, damage racking
FTilt - close range attack, push opponents around
DTilt - push into Down Special range, prevent teching
UTilt - anti-air, put into prone, throw into pits

FSmash - push opponents back along ground into obstacles, off edges, into Down Special range
DSmash - pitfall, stumbling opponents into pits, vulnerable stumbling, underground hitbox
USmash -

PLAYLIST MUSIC STARTING AT U-SMASH

Goals: Move opponent toward pit, keep them in pit, drop them through stage
Use shell to compensate for massive target
Beat up opponents to stun longer, aiding in pit goals

BOWSER

Bwa ha ha! Did somebody page the king of awesome? What's a Koopaling movement without a Bowser appearance? A cruddy movement, that's what! Without further ado, I present this autobiographical guide of how to play me, the Koopa King.

STATISTICS

• Fall Speed: 10
  • Size: 10
  • Weight: 10
That's right, three perfect 10s! I'm lean, mean, prime final boss material right here! The biggest, baddest, strongest brawler you've ever seen! No one even comes close to matching my beastliness.
  • Aerial Movement: 6
  • Jumps: 5
  • Traction: 5
  • Movement: 4
Ha, and would you look at that? No weaknesses either! Not only am I so incredibly big and strong, I'm still fast enough to keep up with the rest of the brawlers! Bwa ha ha...and who even needs to worry about wussy stuff like recovery and attack speed? Nobody's going to even come close to knocking me off the stage with their puny blows...they'll all be cowering at my feet instead!

TRAITS

Behold my shining pride and joy! You think you can dent a shell this burly? Ha! You idiots will just dent your fists up trying. If you try and come at me from behind, I can also spike you silly without moving a muscle. Bwa ha ha...it'll take some real firepower to bust this beauty up.
  • Bowser's shell is a constant invulnerable hitbox. If an enemy touches it, they take 5% and set knockback a battlefield platform away. Dashing into Bowser's shell deals an extra 3% for each 1/10 a character has for their dash speed stat.
  • An attack must deal at least 10% damage to hit Bowser through his shell (weaker attacks merely clash against it harmlessly). Bowser's head, body, and tail can be hit, however.
I doubt any of these clowns have learned anything from the Super Stupid Bros., but I should keep my tail safe anyways. I paid good money for this baby to look so spiky, and I don't need any mushroom munchers banging it up or swinging it around anymore.
  • Bowser has a very large tail, about the size of Mario (as he's a fair bit larger than his Brawl self). He is quite vulnerable to opponents attacking it from behind.
  • Bowser is also immune to grabs from the front, but if he is grabbed by his tail, it is twice as hard for him to escape the grab, and throws deal about a third more knockback to boot.
  • Despite these downsides, Bowser's shell still defends him from pummels or throws that smack against it during their animation. If they deal less than 10%, he's immune to it (thankfully saving him from what would assuredly be an infinite from King Dedede).
My shell can also help me out when I'm crouching down to see eye-to-eye with my victim. If anyone ends up falling from a height, I'll be there with my shell to prove a nice, soft landing, like the gentle-Koopa I am.

• It takes Bowser as long to crouch or rise as it does for other characters to crouch -and- rise. He covers his head with his claws and leaves his shell pointing spikes up. His shell is now completely immune to damage, but his tail and head remain vulnerable.
  • Game of Origin: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
And, as always, your favorite end boss has got another new trick up his spiky sleeve. I can tread slowly forward and backwards if I decide I want to keep an eye on the bozos entertaining me. I'm not just doing this to conserve my strength...I also look so powerful when I'm stomping forward at my trembling enemies. Makes me much more...boss-like. Bwa ha ha... This way I can also use my shell as a shield against my opponent. Much less important than menacing them, of course...
  • By tilting the control stick back lightly, Bowser walks backward at a slow pace; he turns around and dashes as usual if you smash the stick. 'Moonwalking' enables Bowser to space himself from opponents, aim his projectiles by walking and attacking simultaneously, and even walk backwards to hit opponents with his shell (although this does leave his tail open).
  • Game of Origin: New Super Mario Bros.

SPECIALS

Down Special - Bowser Bomb

Aww, the weaklings are gazing up at my marvelous figure. Too bad they're about to be Bowserized by it! I plummet down to their level with overwhelming speed, using my bulging bulk to smash them a short distance into the ground. Being the certified Stomptologist I am, I can drive those stuck piglets clean off the map if I keep up the pressure. Ha! It's a wonder I don't shatter through the stage myself with all my trademark force...
  • This iteration of Bowser Bomb is similar to the Brawl version, but instead of knocking opponents away, Bowser brings opponents down to earth with him, dealing 21% and pitfalling them. The move has twice its regular lag all over, although Bowser has a few more frames of startup super armor to compensate.
  • Bowser also drives his victim a Marth into the earth for every Ganondorf he plummeted. This indentation lasts for ten seconds after the victim mashes free, being one and a half Bowsers width.
  • Bowser can create an indentation without burying an opponent, although opponents have an easy opening to attack Bowser as he leaves the pit. If they get stuck inside, however, opponents will want to escape quickly, before Bowser gets in after them.
  • By continuously using Bowser Bomb on one portion of stage, Bowser can break clean through the stage to blast zone below (entering his aerial state, rather than plummeting to his doom). If he breaks through with a victim, he can proceed by gimping them, although he is not immune to this himself.
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario Bros. 3
Neutral Special - Fire Breath

My flames are hotter than the sun! I'll exhale a blazing stream of fire to push enemies away from me, blazing in agony. I'll do crazy damage too, especially against fools foolish enough to try to fight through my flames. I do run out of breath after a while, though...I have to save some air for laughing at my victim's woes, after all.
  • Rather than breathing a wimpy stunning trail like in Brawl, Bowser quickly lets forth a massive fire storm, as long as Ganondorf and as thick as Bowser himself. The stream pushes opponents away with half FLUDD's force, dealing 5% per half second.
  • As powerful as it is, Bowser's new fire decays to its pathetic minimum size twice as fast as his Brawl stream, hampering its use somewhat.
  • Bowser can angle his fire breath in any direction to catch opponents at different angles. His signature attack is very handy for sweeping opponents right into a pit, or pushing them back into a pit they're attempting to leave.
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario 64
If I hold my breath, I'll start chomping, storing all that fire in my mouth. My fury is released as a dangerous fireball, bouncing off of walls and blasting opponents back with the power you all know and love me for. And if I hold that fire in even longer, look out! My massive blue fireball can home in on foes, immolating them on contact! Nobody matches my firepower!

• If you tap the input instead of holding it down, Bowser will charge up a fireball for up to two seconds, before releasing it automatically with little lag. The fireball can be stored, but it cannot be charged afterward. The charge is lost if Bowser uses his regular Fire Breath.
  • The fireball deals 8-17% with decent set knockback, and ranges in size from that of a Soccer Ball to that of Kirby. His projectile travels in the direction of his choice at Luigi's dash speed, bouncing off solid objects and walls in its path.
  • A fully-charged fireball glows blue and homes in on the nearest foe. It deals 22% damage and can KO around 105%.
  • Three fireballs of either kind can be onstage at once, herding opponents around, trapping them in pits by bouncing off of walls, and just giving them a roasting good time in general.
  • Game of Origin: New Super Mario Bros.
Side Special - Dark Claw

Breaking out some good old-fashioned black magic, I deliver a ferocious spinning slash, roaring as the sheer momentum boosts me through the air. Behold my dark powers, as my claws rend anyone near me with wicked purple flames. I don't travel very far while slashing, but big bad Bowser was built for style, not for speed. Pah...all speed is good for is running away from my fearsome roar. Bwa ha ha...

If I catch anyone stupid enough -not- to run, I'll be on them like stomp on a Goomba. I'll feed my victim a few of my patented slashes, before grabbing them and crushing them down into the ground. I pity the fool who I catch if I'm recovering. I'll drag us -both- all the way to the blast zone, or just bounce off their head to bring them closer to their imminent doom. Who knows...maybe I'll knock some sense into their little bitty brains, so they won't get in my way next time.

• Bowser pauses for a split second, before spinning around once, with his claws (glowing purple) outstretched an Olimar to either side. He has slightly less momentum on the ground and in the air as Spinning Kong.
  • If Bowser claws a victim, he'll grab them and flip upward, Flying Slam style, dealing 9% worth of dark magic slashes. The remainder of the move is similar to its Brawl version, dealing 7% upon impact with the stage, KOing around 150%.
  • Bowser can also tap down while holding an opponent to increase his fall speed slightly, ramming his opponent into a pitfall effect onstage for 9%, or tap up to automatically footstool his victim, dealing an extra 7%.
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
These claws aren't just for show, you know. If I slash into a wall, I'll dig into it with my claws, getting a grip on the wall so I can climb up and down freely. Just let that flusher-face plumber -try- and wall jump past me now! I'll bring him down to where he belongs: with his face -in- the dirt! If I'm feeling particularly vicious, I might just shove some dirt down to bury him, so I don't have to bear looking at his ugly mustachioed mug. Of course, as much as you'd like me to, I can't hang around with you all day. The great and terrible Bowser has a schedule to keep!
  • If Bowser uses Side Special against a vertical wall, he'll cling to it, with the ability to climb up and down it at Ganondorf's dash speed, jumping off by using a dodge input. His shell provides him with its regular defense during this time, but Bowser falls helplessly if his head or tail is attacked.
  • Bowser's weight will pull him down at half his climbing speed if he remains stationary. He releases his grip on the wall automatically after five seconds, and cannot regrab a wall until he reaches the ground.
  • Bowser can hang onto a pit wall, using his shell as a blockade to keep opponents inside as he climbs down. Bowser can also climb to safety after smashing through a stage, although opponents can grab Bowser's tail by tapping Z in midair, forcing him to carry them up or waste precious time shaking them off with the control stick (moderately easy).
  • For every second Bowser climbs on a pit wall, he claws down half a Marth's worth of dirt. Although this fills in some of his handiwork, Bowser can bury opponents, first in a pitfall, then underground entirely, where they suffer 2% per half second and must mash up to the surface.
  • Game of Origin: Original
Up Special - Koopa Clown Car

With a snap of my claws, I summon my personal aircraft to appear beneath me. No one can match Lord Bowser's sense of style, eh? I can cruise around in my Clown Car for as long as I want, or simply hop out, leaving it to descend while chopping opponents with its propeller. If an opponent dares to hop in, the Car will even flip over on them, raining on their parade by raining them to the ground! Bwa ha ha...what's that you're saying? I'll plummet helplessly if I laze around in my ride too long? Shut up! I filled this baby to the brim with gas before I left the castle...I'm positive!
  • Bowser causes his Clown Car to appear under him with .5 second startup lag. The Car is Bowser's size, flying him around at Ganondorf's dash speed. He has three seconds flight before the Car peters out and drops him helplessly. The Car's propellers deal multiple stunning hits of 3%.
  • If Bowser's head is attacked, he is launched, as the Car vanishes. Although Bowser can't be damaged through the Car, if opponents deal it 20% in one hit, or 20% over one second, the Car tips over, releasing Bowser in a footstool effect before disappearing.
  • By tapping A, Bowser can jump out of his Car, leaving it to descend at Ganondorf's walk speed, slicing opponents beneath it. One Car can be onstage at a time, lasting thirty seconds and having 45 HP. It serves as a platform for Bowser, who can crouch to enter it and fly, although the Car tips over if an opponent stands on it without Bowser, putting them in a prone state.
  • If Bowser lands on the Car with Bowser Bomb, he still breaks through the ground underneath as the Car plummets down with him. He can leave his Car at the bottom of a stage he's about to break through, landing safely on it as he does so. Opponents can still land on the Car or footstool him once he's inside, however, meaning Bowser can't get careless just yet.
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario World

STANDARDS

Jab - Hammer Barrage

Oh yeah! Just because you haven't seen these babies for a while doesn't mean they sting any less! Here, I lob up three small hammers in an arc to 'nail' opponents in the face. Bwa ha ha...Anyone who dares jump into my range will be knocked back by the power of my toss. Oh, and this time around, I've been working on my aim. Stay on your toes, you cute little weakling!

• Bowser hesitates for .4 second before tossing a trio of hammers in an arc a Battlefield platform in front of him. The hammers fall until they hit a solid object, although Bowser can move after throwing them. There is no limit to how many hammers may be onstage at a time.
  • He can angle his hammers in any direction during the brief startup period. Bowser can also toss hammers while walking forward or backwards, defending his massive frame and improving the accuracy of his aim.
  • Each hammer deals 5% and weakly spikes opponents; hammers combo into each other at lower damage levels, carrying opponents along the arc to an ideal location, or into prone if they land on the stage. Hitting Bowser at close range while he's tossing hammers deals 10% with knockback KOing around 155%.
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario Bros.
Dash Attack - Bowling Shell

Time for 360 degrees of pure Koopa defense! I curl into a ball and begin rolling across the stage, ready to knock my opponents down like pins. Trying to resist my awesomeness? Get this...instead of just knocking foes flying, I'll snag them on my spikes and drag them along with me. Bwa ha ha...enjoy the ride, fool! I'm have to take a moment and laugh at their poor crushed ambitions after I'm done rolling out...
  • Bowser quickly curls into a spiked ball before rolling forward at Ganondorf's dash speed. He rolls for a default of a second and a half, although the player can tap A to both prolong his rolling and increase his speed (to a maximum of Mario's dash speed). Bowser exits the move automatically at ledges, and cannot turn around.
  • Opponents who come into contact with this Bowser ball are impaled on his spikes, suffering 3% per half second and 5% every time they are crushed against the ground. They are able to mash free with double grab difficulty; Bowser stops rolling automatically if this occurs.
  • Although Bowser suffers from a second of ending lag, he can stop rolling when his opponent is behind him during their rotation, forcing them to use a slower, stronger attack to hit him through his shell, hopefully slowing them down enough to retaliate.
  • If he builds up momentum for half a second, Bowser is able to roll up and down the sides of his indentations onstage. Bowser can snag an opponent and roll them down the long wall for extra damage, before releasing them and climbing out with Side Special.
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy
Forward Tilt - Fuhrer Fury

Grrrr...Now I'm mad! No more Mr. Nice Bowser! When I'm mad, my rage becomes too big for you to handle! I'll come at you and stomp ya, slash ya and crunch ya like bacon! Get outta my way, because no matter where you are, you're in deep crud until I stop! Yeah! I'll pummel you around like it's my job, because it is! Sometimes I just get so angry, you know!!
  • Bowser growls briefly, before marching forward, a bit slower than he moves while dashing. While doing so, he slashes, stomps and chomps in front of him at random, fast enough to avoid being interrupted from the front. He moves forward a character space every time the button is inputted.
  • Each of Bowser's attacks deal 5% and slight set knockback, allowing Bowser to pummel opponents while pushing them forward along the ground with the move's hitbox, which covers Bowser's entire body, no matter what action he is performing.
  • Bowser can storm forward as long as he wishes, and can turn around mid-input with a bit of lag, using his shell for defense all the while. His furious blows can pummel opponents at close range, as well as push them into pits, fireballs or hammers.
  • Game of Origin: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Down Tilt - Fist Pound

I rule my Koopa Kingdom with an iron fist, and I'm more than happy to show it! From my crouch, I lift my fist and smash it to the ground with enough power to level a building. Bwa ha ha...look at that! I created a winding shockwave, topped with a star to prove my strength to all who stand before me. As if they need confirmation...they're already stumbling in my presence -without- my shockwave.
  • Lying flat on the ground, Bowser lifts a fist and slams it to the ground, as if performing a motion of angry defeat. His pound creates a shockwave a platform wide and as tall as a Deku Nut (with a small star at its front), which travels forward at Mario's dash speed for three seconds.
  • Opponents Bowser pounds take 12% and are hit into the shockwave, which deals 7% and stuns opponents in place for half a second. The shockwave winds down walls, approaching opponents inside pits and serving as an edgeguard. Two shockwaves may exist at a time.
  • This is a rare fast tilt, although Bowser crouching prior to using it adds some lag. While Bowser will most often be stunning opponents in the range of Down Special, Bowser can also prevent opponents from teching off pit walls after being hit by his projectiles, forcing them to fall back down rather than continue escaping up.
Up Tilt - Throwdown

Trying to thwomp me from above? Come -on-...get down here and fight, you cowardly cretin! I reach up to the skies to grab opponents trying to land their pathetic cheap-shots on me, grabbing them by the ankles and slamming them down to their rightful place...at my feet!
  • Bowser slashes one claw into the air above him, with slight startup lag. If he slashes a victim, he'll grab them in his claws and throw them brutally to the ground, where they enter their prone state in front of him.
  • Getting grabbed by Bowser deals 4-5% from his claws, while being slammed to the ground deals 9%. If opponents are thrown at the ground from high up, they'll be able to cancel their momentum after a while to avoid the damage (although if thrown into a pit, Bowser can punish them regardless).
  • Aside from throwing opponents down as an anti-air, Bowser can also turn his throw into a standard gimping maneuever.

SMASHES

Forward Smash - Crushing Blow

And for the finale, one KO punch! I rear back to concentrate all my power into my fist, before slamming opponents with strength enough to drive them backward across the ground. Of course, it does take a while to concentrate -so- much power, but who cares? You want the great and terrible Bowser to taste your combos? You're about to taste my fist instead, you miserable ******!
  • Bowser rears back, as a star formation appears around his fist, before releasing a powerful punch, sliding forward along the ground up to a character width.
  • Victims suffer 26-35%, but instead of being sent flying, they are punched across the ground, stunned, from half of Battlefield to three-fourths of Final Destination. They do not stop at edges, although their momentum carries over as they leave solid ground.
  • While Bowser suffers from the end lag of Falcon Punch, this move is a great damage-racking and spacing option. He can slam opponents range for Down Special or any projectile, into pits, or right off the stage itself.
  • Game of Origin: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Down Smash - Earthquake

Remember all my monologuing about trembling opponents? Well, if my foes had it bad earlier, they better listen to my monologuing about running and -scram-, because Bowser's coming to town! I crouch down, before stomping the ground with all the force of a natural disaster. Anyone close enough to me begins stumbling, shaking and quaking back and forth helplessly like Koopa jello! Bwa ha ha...even if I've already smashed a foe deep into the earth, my supreme stomping will still give them the ultimate headache. I'm so good, I'll be taking over the universe any day now, just you wait!
  • Bowser stomps his feet down multiple times rapidly, causing the are a platform to either side of him to quake uncontrollably for up to a second.
  • Opponents who hit Bowser's feet directly suffer 32-40% and must mash out of a pitfall with triple grab difficulty. They suffer only 10-15% from the earthquake, but stumble uncontrollably away from Bowser at their walk speed for one to three seconds.
  • If opponents come within a platform of any edge, they'll wave their arms wildly before falling off it with a footstool effect. With their terrible stumbling traction, they'll also be sitting ducks against laggier moves, particularly Down Special.
  • Opponents buried in the stage with climbing dirt from Side Special (or D-Air) are automatically hit by Bowser's earthquake if he stomps on top them, due to their lack of dodges. He can build some quick damage this way, although Bowser's significant end lag prevents him from stunning underground opponents for an infinite.
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario 64
Up Smash - Great Ball of Fire

Dialogue!
  • Bowser .
  • Getting .
  • Aside .
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario 3DS

AERIALS

Neutral Air - Mighty Roar

Dialogue!

• Bowser .
  • Getting .
  • Aside .

Forward Air - Pillar of Flame

Dialogue!

• Bowser .
  • Getting .
  • Aside .
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Back Air - Impale

You want check out my spiny shell so bad? Get your grubby paws off it and stand in line with all your weakling friends! I lean backward and thrust out my shell, introducing opponents to my spiny spikes. It seems they just can't get enough of me...some might say they've become a bit too attached for their own good! Bwa ha ha...my foes become impaled on my shell, allowing me to fall down and crush them against the stage. If I thrust my shell into a wall, I'll dig into it just as easily to put the hurt on enemies from a secure location.

• Bowser performs his regular B-Air, with slightly more landing lag if he whiffs. However, if he snags an opponent, he impales them on his shell, forcing them to mash free with double grab difficulty while dealing 3% per half second.
  • If Bowser lands while carrying an opponent, he deals a nice 16% and pitfalls them, refreshing the double grab difficulty period of stun. He can increase the likelihood of landing this effect as well as suicide KOing under the stage by fastfalling.
  • By using B-Air into a vertical wall, Bowser impales himself onto the wall, gaining access to his tilts and Specials in midair, although he loses his shell defense as a result. Bowser can remain on a wall until he suffers 15%, with the ability to dodge free at any time (he must land before impaling the wall again).
  • If he spikes his Clown Car, Bowser sticks into it, causing it to rocket off the top blast zone at Sonic's dash speed due to its leak. This can KO Bowser off the screen top if he fails to pull away, or if he rams into the stage underside, although it can be a quick escape for him after breaking through the stage.
  • Game of Origin: Super Smash Bros. Melee, Original

Up Air - Swooping Punch

Dialogue!

• Bowser .
  • Getting .
  • Aside .
  • Game of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Down Air - Titanic Temper

Dialogue!

• Bowser .
  • Getting .
  • Aside .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jNbkQqxIE0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAuqowo5vA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_jFSx4GlNw

Actually, that is wrong.

Sakurai is saying that as the games after starting without a firm plan (because he is doing Kid Icarus Uprising still). He actually said that online data shows that every character has about the same success rate. You can find that info in either the first post of the Wii U or 3DS thread (not sure which one).
...exactly why Sakurai should stay as far away from balance as possible.

Cractus

= = = = Statistics = = = = [/CENTER]

SIZE: 10
WEIGHT: 10
AERIAL MOVEMENT: 7
FALL SPEED: 7
TRACTION: 7
JUMPS: 1
MOVEMENT: 1

Willy Wonka

Mr. Willy Wonka is the world-famous eccentric genius behind all sorts of innovative candy, which he produces inside his massive factory. Although Wonka closed down his factory and disappeared after antagonistic rival candy-men stole his recipes, he briefly re-opened it to the finders of five golden tickets, leading them on an unforgettable tour in an attempt to find an heir. Wonka's confections, while wonderful, often contain little glitches, which result in extraordinary happenings to whoever consumed them. In many ways, his candy reflects his own personality: warm and congenial, but with a maniacal edge.

Oh yes, and he has many truckloads of Oompa Loompas at his beck and call, which certainly boosts his awesomeness into the stratosphere.

LINKS:

Statistics

Traction { 10 }
Size { 8 }
Weight { 6 }
Fall Speed { 5 }
Movement { 4 }
Jumps { 3 }

While a uniquely energetic character, Wonka is still a fairly elderly figure, and therefore moves about more properly than brashly. Despite Wonka's body being rather brittle, however, his mind is still quite flexible, and lends him plenty of clever strategies to purge the stage of his enemies, just as he rid his factory of naughty children. While doing so, he also must dedicate some trickery to self-preservation, as he is a fairly tall figure with his top hat, but not a tank by any means. Wonka will be implementing all sorts of candy into his matches to serve his various purposes, as he prefers trickery over physical combat. Plus, candy just makes everything that much better, yes?

Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear

OmegaXXII

I'd like to are Lip and maybe even Starman from Earthbound, but I guess no one is going to care about them. :/

Tingle however would be a funny "joke" character even if he he looks like the stereotypical guy in tights.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I hope Sakurai does not balance the characters again. I can't imagine what he was thinking when he made MK and Ganondorf.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to are Lip and maybe even Starman from Earthbound, but I guess no one is going to care about them. :/

Tingle however would be a funny "joke" character even if he he looks like the stereotypical guy in tights.

Not interested in having any joke characters, even if they are funny. I'd like for all characters to be able to fight with each other with decent ability.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually, that is wrong.

- Apparently the balancing and rebalancing of characters was entirely up to Sakurai, but he's going to ask for some help from other members of the team this time around. He still feels the creator of the game will have the clearest vision of how the balance should look like, but definitely welcomes the help. Iwata asks what type of balancing he's referring to, and Sakurai responds talking about balancing animation/frame/hitbox data, while making sure it makes sense in the scope of the game. It has to "look natural and feels good to land the attack"
Sakurai is purposely making the game imbalanced apparently

OmegaXXII

I hope Sakurai does not balance the characters again. I can't imagine what he was thinking when he made MK and Ganondorf.
Thankfully though Sakurai isn't going to be on it alone, this time around he has his firm from Sora Ltd. to help him out with the Smash project, hopefully such unbalancing won't happen again.

@SSBFan: I don't really support joke characters at all, I only want to see deserving, iconic Nintendo All-Star making the roster, excluding 3rd parites of course.

D

Deleted member

Let's discuss Operation: Connect.

As you may know, I have been sending PMs to other people to join this group. Not just ones in this thread, but all over Smashboards as well. I am glad to see that because of this, activity has improved and membership has almost doubled. Anything helps at this rate as I really want the best for SSB4's online.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I know right?! Two major screw ups out of a possible 72 across 3 games is ridiculous. Especially for a one man team

To be completely honest, Meta Knight and Ganondorf are so ridiculously unbalanced that ANYONE who plays the game for 10 minutes can tell you that. Such a ridiculous oversight is NEVER acceptable, regardless of whether or not he had ****ed up that bad before. I'm just glad his team will put in input. God knows, Sakurai needs it.

D

Deleted member

So what happened with GameFaqs? Any luck with PM's, thread and such?

Unfortunately, no. I tried to do a thread in it, but it got deleted due to it saying I was spamming when all I was doing was trying to gain attention. I will make another attempt once our group gets even bigger.

I would do PMs, but I am very worried I'll get my account banned for adversitement, which is not my purpose.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
To be completely honest, Meta Knight and Ganondorf are so ridiculously unbalanced that ANYONE who plays the game for 10 minutes can tell you that. Such a ridiculous oversight is NEVER acceptable, regardless of whether or not he had ****ed up that bad before. I'm just glad his team will put in input. God knows, Sakurai needs it.
ANYONE who plays for 10 minutes isn't informed enough to declare who is or isn't unbalanced. Almost everyone who played for 10 minutes claimed Ike was broken. Apparently the community as a whole didn't know how unbalanced ganondorf was because it took them a year and 3 months and 3 tier list to realize ganondorf was terribly unbalanced. Such a "ridiculous oversight" should be acceptable not only because he has no history of this and considering it could be ALOT worse but also because few people could balance a cast theirself of the same size and hope to get half as much success

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
What characters would you consider pleasant surprises and ones you consider nasty surprises:

Pleasant: Sukapon, Crono

Nasty: Phoenix Wright, Rosalina
Hmm. I can think of a couple pleasant ones, at least.

Pleasant: Captain Syrup, Crono, Mike Jones, Dr. Mario (at least for me)

Nasty: None I can think of off the top of my head.

ANYONE who plays for 10 minutes isn't informed enough to declare who is or isn't unbalanced. Almost everyone who played for 10 minutes claimed Ike was broken. Apparently the community as a whole didn't know how unbalanced ganondorf was because it took them a year and 3 months and 3 tier list to realize ganondorf was terribly unbalanced. Such a "ridiculous oversight" should be acceptable not only because he has no history of this and considering it could be ALOT worse but also because few people could balance a cast theirself of the same size and hope to get half as much success

This.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Sakurai is purposely making the game imbalanced apparently
There are really 2 types of balance. One is the "character vs character" balance that most people think of when balance is mentioned, but there's also the universal "hitstun vs frame data vs other stuff" balance that determines factors such as how combo-heavy the game is, or how offensive/defensive the game is as a whole.

When Sakurai mentioned that he had the clearest vision of how the balance should look like, and that he was referring to the hitboxes, animations, etc, I'm sure he was talking about the game balance rather than the character balance. Unlike character balance that has one specific ideal (all characters being equal), game balance's ideal is completely opinion-based, and thus needs someone (Sakurai) to guide it.

Hoots

Can Be Combative

Whoever said Ike was overpowered? And how does it take someone 3 months to realize Ganondorf is horrible? I knew that after playing a few matches with him. Regardless of how much you want to nitpick, it is extremely arrogant to think that one person can balance an entire roster by himself and have it be balanced, regardless of how few **** ups there were before. Your point about "NO ONE ELSE COULD BE AS AWESOME" is moot, because no one should even be put in that situation. It's called proper resource management. Just because you worship Sakurai does not mean that he gets a free pass for not using his resources appropriately. I loved Brawl, but it is naive and misguided to completely absolve Sakurai of ANY wrong when he DID indeed **** up Brawl quite a bit (I won't bring up the atrocious and unforgivable SSE, because you'll probably say "WELL I LOVED SUBSPACE EMISSARY! IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH THE TIME AND THE SPACE!"). My point is that it's not like he is worse than anyone else. It's that he can do much better. The fact that Sakurai himself has acknowledged that with the development of Smash4 essentially proves my point.

OmegaXXII

A combo list would pretty much make it like Street Fighter, there is no need for Smash to be that way, it's unique enough and has it's own community, it's as good as is.

OmegaXXII

Whoever said Ike was overpowered? And how does it take someone 3 months to realize Ganondorf is horrible? I knew that after playing a few matches with him. Regardless of how much you want to nitpick, it is extremely arrogant to think that one person can balance an entire roster by himself and have it be balanced, regardless of how few **** ups there were before. Your point about "NO ONE ELSE COULD BE AS AWESOME" is moot, because no one should even be put in that situation. It's called proper resource management. Just because you worship Sakurai does not mean that he gets a free pass for not using his resources appropriately. I loved Brawl, but it is naive and misguided to completely absolve Sakurai of ANY wrong when he DID indeed **** up Brawl quite a bit (I won't bring up the atrocious and unforgivable SSE, because you'll probably say "WELL I LOVED SUBSPACE EMISSARY! IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH THE TIME AND THE SPACE!"). My point is that it's not like he is worse than anyone else. It's that he can do much better. The fact that Sakurai himself has acknowledged that with the development of Smash4 essentially proves my point.

Sometimes, I like what you say Hoots. :cool:

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Okay This is weird...

In Professor Laytons "real-world" twitter account, he has made several references to Smash Bros... including that he has received and invitation.

Hoots, you may be onto something...

Professor Layton Joins Smash Bros.? - IGN
http://ds.ign.com/articles/100/1000659p1.html

http://twitter.com/#!/TopHatProfessor

It could very well be nothing...but Level 5 seems to love building up their franchise through spinoffs and extended media like their movies... Let's not forget the Phoenix Wright v. Professor Layton game coming out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom