• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still think version exclusives is a horrible idea.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I still think version exclusives is a horrible idea.
The only reason you don't like it is because you don't want to want both games. But the truth is, nintendo will make much more money with version exclusives. Couple that with the 3ds version handicapping the Wii U version without version exclusives, and you practically have a guarantee for version exclusive. Besides, whats the point of having 2 versions if they are exactly the same?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only reason you don't like it is because you don't want to want both games. But the truth is, nintendo will make much more money with version exclusives. Couple that with the 3ds version handicapping the Wii U version without version exclusives, and you practically have a guarantee for version exclusive. Besides, whats the point of having 2 versions if they are exactly the same?
I'll get both versions. I just don't want version exclusives. If both games can hold a good amount of characters, both versions should have the same characters.

I don't want to play the main version, wii-u, and not be able to play a character that's 3DS exclusive.

It's just a bad idea

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
There would be a transfer or DLC process. Furthermore, i've heard from a relatively reliable source that the 3ds cartridge has about as much memory as a wii disc.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There would be a transfer or DLC process.
"Transfer" You mean unlocked by having the DS version? There is no data transfer of characters in that process.

DLC characters probably isn't going to happen. Levels, maybe. Other stuff. Not characters

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Ike has never appeared on a handheld though. I have an explanation on the top of the previous page.

Also, C-sticking could be replaced by the d-pad.
Yeah, but still, no veterans should be exclusive to either version, as Smash 3DS will be touted as "Smash on the go with your favorite characters", and Ike is a pretty widely used character.

DLC characters probably isn't going to happen. Levels, maybe. Other stuff. Not characters
And why is that?

:phone:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
"Transfer" You mean unlocked by having the DS version? There is no data transfer of characters in that process.That is one possibility.

DLC characters probably isn't going to happen. Levels, maybe. Other stuff. Not characters Why not? Many people wouldn't download anything except characters. I would download trophies and stages too, but most wouldn't.
My answers are in bold.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I don't get why people think we're getting everything but characters as DLC (for a fighting game, mind you). We're not getting small stuff like outfits, trophies, music, etc. as DLC, and if we do, they'll be in packs, that's for sure. Nintendo has already said they're not doing DLC like that; they said only to expect HIGH-QUALITY DLC. And when most people think of DLC for a fighting game, they think of new characters first, not stages and music. Sakurai himself said he was only held back from doing DLC due to the Wii's limitations. Wii U doesn't have those problems anymore, so it's really up to him whether he wants to do DLC or not, which I believe he'd be more than willing to do. He already did small DLC for Brawl in the form of the Smash Service, and DLC allows him to do take a small break from the Smash franchise and include character/stage he wanted to put on the disc but couldn't because of time constraints, or a character/stage he thinks of post-release, instead of just waiting for another Nintendo console and full-fledged game to include them.

Nintendo is interested in "expand the life of it's own games" and they want to establish their online and digital presences as another pillar for the company. What better way to demonstrate that than with one of Nintendo's largest, widely-appealing first-party franchises ever?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Yeah, but still, no veterans should be exclusive to either version, as Smash 3DS will be touted as "Smash on the go with your favorite characters", and Ike is a pretty widely used character.

And why is that?

Version exclusives would be unlockable through connecting with the Wii U version.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
We're not getting small stuff like outfits, trophies, music, etc. as DLC, at least not in small quantities. Nintendo has already said they're not doing DLC like that; they said only to expect HIGH-QUALITY DLC. And when most people think of DLC for a fighting game, they think of new characters first, not stages and music. Sakurai himself said he was only held back from doing DLC due to the Wii's limitations. Wii U doesn't have those problems anymore, so it's really up to him whether he wants to do DLC or not, which I believe he'd be more than willing to do. He already did small DLC for Brawl in the form of the Smash Service, and DLC allows him to do take a small break from the Smash franchise and include character/stage he wanted to put on the disc but couldn't because of time constraints, or a character/stage he thinks of post-release, instead of just waiting for another Nintendo console and full-fledged game to include them.

Nintendo is interested in "expand the life of it's own games" and they want to establish their online and digital presences as another pillar for the company. What better way to demonstrate that than with one of Nintendo's largest, widely-appealing first-party franchises ever?

I agree. Here is my Idea for a format for DLC:
Here is an Idea for a basic DLC framework.
There would be a special channel, something like the new challenger channel. There would be 4 sections, Characters, Stages, Trophies,Music and other collectibles, and Bundles.Characters would cost the equivalent of 50-60 wii points(50-60 cents). Stages would be the equivalent of 40-50 wii points (40-50 cents). Trophy and music packs would be the equivalent of 5-10 wii points, depending on how much is in the pack. Bundles would be a variety of content around a theme. For instance, lets say nintendo is releasing a new game, "Turtle Quest" and want to advertise it. They'd release a character, Spontaneous Tump (50 wii points), A stage (50 wii points), and a trohy/music pack (6 wii points). But they would also release a Turtle quest bundle for 100 wii points. This way, you get hte trophies and music for free.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I agree. Here is my Idea for a format for DLC:
Here is an Idea for a basic DLC framework.
There would be a special channel, something like the new challenger channel. There would be 4 sections, Characters, Stages, Trophies,Music and other collectibles, and Bundles.Characters would cost the equivalent of 50-60 wii points(50-60 cents). Stages would be the equivalent of 40-50 wii points (40-50 cents). Trophy and music packs would be the equivalent of 5-10 wii points, depending on how much is in the pack. Bundles would be a variety of content around a theme. For instance, lets say nintendo is releasing a new game, "Turtle Quest" and want to advertise it. They'd release a character, Spontaneous Tump (50 wii points), A stage (50 wii points), and a trohy/music pack (6 wii points). But they would also release a Turtle quest bundle for 100 wii points. This way, you get hte trophies and music for free.
These are all great ideas, but I have one question: could this channel be accessed via an in-game menu or would it be a seperate channel altogether?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
The way I saw it, and my friends agreed, the C stick was used by "noobs" too slow to smash attack normally. In the group I used to play with actually opposed using it, and some of them gave one of our friends so much crap for him using it that he practiced playing by breaking it off hahaha
It was only later, when everyone stopped playing, that I actually started using it for aerials, which gives it that unique functionality.
yeah, forgot about the noobs who use it... they aren't pros. it is more of a hindrance for them.

no Zzuxon, it can't be replaced by the D-Pad... the Slide Pad and the D-Pad are on the same side of the handheld. it wouldn't work... well, you can try but it won't be the same like in melee.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
These are all great ideas, but I have one question: could this channel be accessed via an in-game menu or would it be a seperate channel altogether?

Both, like the special mario kart wii channel.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
yeah, forgot about the noobs who use it... they aren't pros. it is more of a hindrance for them.

no Zzuxon, it can't be replaced by the D-Pad... the Slide Pad and the D-Pad are on the same side of the handheld. it wouldn't work... well, you can try but it won't be the same like in melee.
It may be slightly different, but we'll have to settle for what is available.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
would you sacrifice movement for a fraction of a second in order to perform something that could have been done using the slide pad and the Attack button?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
would you sacrifice movement for a fraction of a second in order to perform something that could have been done using the slide pad and the Attack button?
No, but c-stickers might want to. I am not used to c-sticking.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace

Um...sarcasm? Not really too slow but lame for using shortcuts :ohwell: but as I said, it's only really "unique" use is through aerials, and I guess through crouch cancel and D Smash

D Pad would be for taunts. The touch screen could have the short cut functionality, maybe not even as buttons, but through a touch slide pad. The rest of the screen could be used for other game statistics (stock and time)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I just don't think a C-stick is necessary. Sure, some more advanced maneuvers are only doable with a second analog, but seriously, the 3DS is perfectly capable of hosting every outlined-in-the-manual aspect of SSB. And that's all that is absolutely necessary.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Anyone know if your still able to use the 3DS as a controller? I remember hearing a rumor don't know if it's true though

Oh yeah anyone wanna brawl me?
1633-6391-1952

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Maybe not necessary, but if it were to be a touch slide pad there could be an option for its use.
The thing about the 3DS and the Wii U is the slide pad: it wouldn't feel the same as joystick :(
Although I guess over time I might get used to, in hopes the resistance of it compared to the joystick won't cause me to break it hahaha

@Opelucid
I wish I could :( Unfortunately my Wii has been broken for a while and my game was stolen. It should make me depressed being here knowing that I could ask for brawlin haha

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202

but of course there will be button mapping and the like for those who defend with R and stuff.

Life

Smash Hero
Touchscreen buttons could be programmable macros (I'd love to have a DACUS macro), not unlike how SSF4 3D has the shortcut buttons. Smash doesn't need them so much though... alternatively, use it as a second analog stick, like SM64DS did (but then, that didn't work so well)

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
with this image, i had zelda so i can have the transform button. i want zelda to have another down b... Din's fire - Link's version.

i really really hope the consoles will allow multiple Wii U controllers.

D

Deleted member

I don't get why people think we're getting everything but characters as DLC (for a fighting game, mind you). We're not getting small stuff like outfits, trophies, music, etc. as DLC, and if we do, they'll be in packs, that's for sure. Nintendo has already said they're not doing DLC like that; they said only to expect HIGH-QUALITY DLC. And when most people think of DLC for a fighting game, they think of new characters first, not stages and music. Sakurai himself said he was only held back from doing DLC due to the Wii's limitations. Wii U doesn't have those problems anymore, so it's really up to him whether he wants to do DLC or not, which I believe he'd be more than willing to do. He already did small DLC for Brawl in the form of the Smash Service, and DLC allows him to do take a small break from the Smash franchise and include character/stage he wanted to put on the disc but couldn't because of time constraints, or a character/stage he thinks of post-release, instead of just waiting for another Nintendo console and full-fledged game to include them.

I have to agree with you there, thought I wouldn't necessarily call stages "low-quality DLC", nor trophies/musics/outfits in packs. These would make many fans happy.

One thing I do hope if we get DLC is that it won't be locked on disc. I think DLC should not come until three months max.
army man said:
so what do you guys think about megaman's chances???
He has a decent shot.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
I think controls are fine and button mapping again would be great, but I just realized there's only one shoulder button on each side...I grab with Z and wavedash with R but that would be irrelevant if the physics engine were different. The touch screen could have space for two buttons (possibly one of them a slide pad). I'm not too sure what the zoom would do so I believe the D pad would be for taunts leaving space for the time limit or other things.

As for Capcom, Megaman would be the most suitable (more than Ryu). I doubt any RE characters would show up, and Megaman's appearance would make up for his absence in MvC3 xD

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I personally think that the controls aren't going to feel too awkward. The whole idea of a virtual slide pad is interesting, but i think they would just ether map a auto smash attack button like how the wii remote had 1+2 = smash attack. the camera i doubt will be an issue.

And Megaman's chances of being in the new smash bros is really anyone's guess, mainly because he can show up in the game on as apart of the launch roster but could possibly find his way into the game in the future due to DLC. And both the 3DS and WU are DLC compatible.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

16!

Smash Cadet
Port town, it's easier to smuggle drugs out here.
Melee>Brawl
In terms of the words them self. A Melee is a more extreme Brawl.
So here's a list of smash bro.s suggested names, based on that, further down the line.
Battery, Assault, sucker punch, pimp smack, love tap, threats, glare, hatemail.

I like the sound of Super Smash Bro.s Pimp smack. Oh yeah. It's so far away though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Melee>Brawl
In terms of the words them self. A Melee is a more extreme Brawl.
So here's a list of smash bro.s suggested names, based on that, further down the line.
Battery, Assault, sucker punch, pimp smack, love tap, threats, glare, hatemail.

I like the sound of Super Smash Bro.s Pimp smack. Oh yeah. It's so far away though.
Horrible suggestions are horrible

16!

Smash Cadet
Port town, it's easier to smuggle drugs out here.

but of course there will be button mapping and the like for those who defend with R and stuff.
Hmm... I'd have to think of how to set up the jump buttons to make it more comfortable. It works on gamecube since A is a centered button surrounded by 3 others. Good for Soul Calibur and Smash. Without a central button it's weird jumping with a button directly above the ones you attack with.

I'd probably have to set Y for special and A for normal attacks with B as Jump. Lack of a C-Stick would cause a few problems with fast falling up airs or when you want to jump to the side and down air without fast falling. Changes a lot of my best tactics with no C-stick.

I could see the touch screen potentially being used as a C-stick.

Horrible suggestions are horrible
Super Smash Bro.s Assault has a nice ring to it.
Super Smash Bro.s Threat is alright.

Why are Smash players so pretentious? Don't really hear this sort of thing from Street fighter players.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I like super smash bros. showdown wii u (SSBSWU) and super smash bros showdown 3ds (SSBS3DS).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Rumors

Absurd rumors that aren't coming true.

I believe Nintendo shot down the 3DS redesign rumor, though I haven't seen a source yet
Where did it say they shot down such a rumor?

According to THIS Nintendo commented and said "No comment" which means it may or may not be true, it's not deconfirmation, just an evasive response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom