• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, this board isn't nearly as argue-ey as athe Wii U one. How funny would it be if the 3DS version turned out to be the best?

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I remember at E3 they talked about character possibly beoing customizable on the 3DS version. In my head I imagine the Mii being able to be dressed up like the real ones (like M&S at the olympics) and the special moves would be choosable from the other characters. I can think of several cases where that'd be super OP though.
I don't think its going to be a single creatable character, more like everyone on the roster can customized. Let's take Mario for example. In the 1st 2 games Mario's vB was Mario Tornado. In Brawl it was FLUDD. Which of these 2 should be the vB in SSB4? My answer is both & the player gets to pick which to use.

Now let's take that idea further, where every move"slot" has multiple options to choose from:

B
-Fireball (high damage)
-Ice Flower (makes the opponent slower for about half a second)
-or star bits (rapid fire)
>B
-Cape (defensive)
-Hammer (melee offensive)
-Red Rocket (ranged offensive)
^B
-Jump Punch
-Wing Cap (greater recovery, non-damaging)
-Charged Jump (greater recovery & damage but requires charging)
vB
-Mario Tornado
-FLUDD
-Rock Mario
Final Smash
-Mario Finale (single shot)
-Mega Mushroom (timed transformation)
-Yoo Who Cannon (multiple hits)

The player selects which ones he wants to use in his active moveset , such as

Emphasis on defense build
B: Ice Flower
>B: Cape
^B: Wing Cap
vB: FLUDD
FS: Yoo Who Cannon

or,

Emphasis on offense build
B: Fireball
>B: Hammer
^B: Charge Jump
vB: Rock Mario
FS: Mario Finale

& saves the build to his profile so Mario will always be set to it.

This concept of moveset options would be applied to every character on the roster. All of Link's acquired items through the years including different arrow types, Bowser's spells in SMRPG & M&LBIS, Fox's weapons from Assault & skills in Adventures, Pit's newfound arsenal, the possibilities aren't endless but are certainly higher than ever for SSB. & yes, Miis are entirely a possible inclusion for this as well.

Now with all that said, that would only be HALF of the game's customization features. The other half,

The return of passive stat boosts & abilities. In Brawl they only affected SSE but in KIU they carried over into multiplayer. This can pretty easily be applied to SSB4 too.

The Wii U version would be the vanilla version, all characters have pre-set moves. In other words basically the same as past games. This is the genius of SSB4: Players who simply want more of the same will be content with the Wii U version & need not care about the 3DS version at all............................until they go online & get their ***** kicked by a Pichu with Iron Tail & a resistance to knockback & wonder to themselves what just happened. That's when they begrudgingly put down $200 on a 3DS & the other version just to stay competitive.

Character customization ain't just a gameplay innovation, its a devious marketing scheme!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think its going to be a single creatable character, more like everyone on the roster can customized. Let's take Mario for example. In the 1st 2 games Mario's vB was Mario Tornado. In Brawl it was FLUDD. Which of these 2 should be the vB in SSB4? My answer is both & the player gets to pick which to use.

Now let's take that idea further, where every move"slot" has multiple options to choose from:

B
-Fireball (high damage)
-Ice Flower (makes the opponent slower for about half a second)
-or star bits (rapid fire)
>B
-Cape (defensive)
-Hammer (melee offensive)
-Red Rocket (ranged offensive)
^B
-Jump Punch
-Wing Cap (greater recovery, non-damaging)
-Charged Jump (greater recovery & damage but requires charging)
vB
-Mario Tornado
-FLUDD
-Rock Mario
Final Smash
-Mario Finale (single shot)
-Mega Mushroom (timed transformation)
-Yoo Who Cannon (multiple hits)

The player selects which ones he wants to use in his active moveset , such as

Emphasis on defense build
B: Ice Flower
>B: Cape
^B: Wing Cap
vB: FLUDD
FS: Yoo Who Cannon

or,

Emphasis on offense build
B: Fireball
>B: Hammer
^B: Charge Jump
vB: Rock Mario
FS: Mario Finale

& saves the build to his profile so Mario will always be set to it.

This concept of moveset options would be applied to every character on the roster. All of Link's acquired items through the years including different arrow types, Bowser's spells in SMRPG & M&LBIS, Fox's weapons from Assault & skills in Adventures, Pit's newfound arsenal, the possibilities aren't endless but are certainly higher than ever for SSB. & yes, Miis are entirely a possible inclusion for this as well.

Now with all that said, that would only be HALF of the game's customization features. The other half,

The return of passive stat boosts & abilities. In Brawl they only affected SSE but in KIU they carried over into multiplayer. This can pretty easily be applied to SSB4 too.

The Wii U version would be the vanilla version, all characters have pre-set moves. In other words basically the same as past games. This is the genius of SSB4: Players who simply want more of the same will be content with the Wii U version & need not care about the 3DS version at all............................until they go online & get their ***** kicked by a Pichu with Iron Tail & a resistance to knockback & wonder to themselves what just happened. That's when they begrudgingly put down $200 on a 3DS & the other version just to stay competitive.

Character customization ain't just a gameplay innovation, its a devious marketing scheme!
Or maybe thay pull a Pokemon and half the cutomizations are on the Wii U and the other half on the 3DS so that they can say it'sa ll about working with friends and stuff but in actuallity is to get people to buy both. :smirk:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Wow, this board isn't nearly as argue-ey as athe Wii U one. How funny would it be if the 3DS version turned out to be the best?
I very highly doubt that lol. If the games are both going to be similiar, then I will probably automatically like the console version more just because it's on a console. Just my opinion though I know they will both be very great.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I could see the 3DS one possibly outselling the WiiU version though.
I dont know... If the Wii U is popular I think it well sell better on the console since the 4 player around the tv is what the series has been known for. Plus, it will release years after the Wii U comes out so that's plenty of time for people to get the system.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think we all agree that you should be able to stretch out every character's faces (with a stylus) like you can to Mario on the Super Mario 64 opening screen.

DAT FAWKAAWWWWNNNN FAAAACCCEEEEEEE!!!!! :falconmelee:

:shades:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think we all agree that you should be able to stretch out every character's faces (with a stylus) like you can to Mario on the Super Mario 64 opening screen.

DAT FAWKAAWWWWNNNN FAAAACCCEEEEEEE!!!!! :falconmelee:

:shades:
Falcon's face is too manly

Crimson Wolf

Smash Cadet
Never thought I'd get to play a Smash Bros. game -anywhere- I want. On a handheld. This could be a pretty interesting experience, I look forward to seeing how Masahiro Sakurai and co. come up with for this to make the game allow for much more customization, and a more "personalized" experience. :charizard:

"What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld."
This to be sounds like Nintendo does not want to go and waste any money on a redesign of any sort. They would rather go forward and design something new. The old DS was huge and bulky. The DS lite was needed. The 3DS doesn't really seem that way and I do not think it needs a redesign. I think it would make sense. A redesign would cost money and they already lost a bunch I think during the release. Dropping the price like 70 dollars and no longer making a huge profit on each DS.

My main worry about a 3ds smash bros is the small screen......
I have similar fears regarding them turning it into a touch screen heavy gameplay as well. Touch screen and button duality I think is never easy to overcome unless you strictly design for it. Holding the DS with one hand is a pain on my hand for long periods of time (have to balance the weight all on one end) and it feels awkward.

-J-

Smash Rookie
I have similar fears regarding them turning it into a touch screen heavy gameplay as well. Touch screen and button duality I think is never easy to overcome unless you strictly design for it. Holding the DS with one hand is a pain on my hand for long periods of time (have to balance the weight all on one end) and it feels awkward.
I truly hope that this isn't the road that we're going with it. I have a feeling there'll be one or two touch-based gimmicks, maybe in specific, totally optional modes, or with an AT or something, but let's not go down the whole "touch action" route and try to turn into a 2.5D KI:U, because I just can't imagine that going down well. Nonetheless, my general reaction towards the announcement of this title remains positive. "2 is better than 1" can very well apply in this case. Playing Smash on the go is a very tantalizing idea on the overall. If that phrase doesn't apply? Welp, the Wii U version will still make things a little less hard to bare, anywho.

I think we'll see an end product that will "work" and control well, nonetheless. It'll be differentiating something that "works" from something that "works" and unlocks its own actual potential in doing so. Mario Tennis Open's general "it's good, but could've been better" reviews kind-of harp at what I mean (Speaking of which, that particular title became my first trade-in of the year). I'm hoping the Wii U and 3DS games are equally as great as each other for whatever reasons they might be viewed as such~

Princess~Daisy

Smash Rookie
Super Smash bros 3DS newcomers???

I think the next 3DS and Wii U Super Smash Bros. will be awesome. Does anybody have any opinions of which few characters are most likely to be newcomers in the new SSB? I have a few I really want to be in there. I'm only sure of one or two most likely characters to become newcomers. I just want to list a few characters I want to be in there.

My newcomer list so far:

Ghirahim
Rosalina
Medusa
Human form of Midna
Amazon Pandora

I only have a few so far... I've really wanted to talk about 3DS Super Smash bros! I've known about it since before December. I hope it comes out this year, waiting for it is KILLING ME!

Princess~Daisy

Smash Rookie
^^^^^ Amazon Pandora?

Anyway, I would say King K. Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo are the most likely

Amazon Pandora isn't my favorite character, but I think her powers are good and she would have a good move set if they did put her in there. It's very unlikely that they would though.

I've recently heard a lot about Mewtwo, I think your right, he is very likely. King K. Rool I'm not so sure about though. Ridley is a possibility, though... They would have to resize him and make sure his move set isn't overpowering. I think Ghirahim and Mewtwo are the most likely two that will be newcomers. You have a good list though, even if those characters don't make it in, Nintendo would have surely thought about it.:)

Princess~Daisy

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Smash bros 3DS will borrow some stuff from Kid Icarus Uprising due to the fact that the later title is heavily influenced by Smash bros? Like maybe an AR Mode.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
So what if there are like, 5 characters that are exclusive to the 3DS game.

But like, they aren't really- They can be transfered into the WiiU one; they just don't have a role in that game's adventure mode.

It would be a pretty good way to print money.

I mean, it would be a pretty good way to diversify the games' stories and give reason to purchase both games.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
So what if there are like, 5 characters that are exclusive to the 3DS game.

But like, they aren't really- They can be transfered into the WiiU one; they just don't have a role in that game's adventure mode.

It would be a pretty good way to print money.

I mean, it would be a pretty good way to diversify the games' stories and give reason to purchase both games.
I thought this too, and I think it would be a pretty cool idea. I would tweak it a little though. Perhaps have the 5 3DS "Exclusives" be a quick unlock on the Wii U if you connect the two games, but have the 5 "Exclusives" be unlockable through standard means as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom