• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Hmm..I see, so do you know how he actually uses the move?

I'm also expecting Victini but maybe as an exclusive on either the 3DS or the Wii-U version of the game, and maybe be offered through DLC at a later moment.

:phone:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think they should make an entire subforum for the wii U version and the 3DS version, each with sub-sub forums like character speculation. Anyway, without further ado, i'll post my 3ds roster. This is not a wishlist, nor a prediction. It is my attempt to make a roster that makes sense and is balanced. It is however, influenced by personal preferances, to a point.
Anything in parentheses is an explanation.
Pokemon:
Pikachu
Scizor (I believe he is the best 2nd gen rep due to immense popularity.)
Hoenn PKMN Trainer (Blaziken, Grovyle, Mudkip)
Lucario
Genesect (I may replace him with zoroark, but I like zoroark more)
(It should be noted that my Wii U version roster is Pika, Jiggly, Kanto PKMN trainer, Mewtwo, and Victini.)
Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
LoZ:
Link (with a toon and standard costume change)
Phantom Zelda/Tetra transformation (there is no regular toon zelda phase, because toon zelda never does anything in that phase but shoot light arrows)
Vaati
Tingle
Kirby:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Metroid:
Samus
Sylux
Yoshi:
Yoshi
Baby Mario Bros.
Mario & Luigi (counted as it's own spinoff):
Fawful
Wario:
WArio
Fire Emblem:
Marth
Lyn
Misc.:
Muddy Mole (I may replace him with the Prince of Sable)
G&W
Starfy
Isaac
Fox
Lucas
Ray
Pit
Jill
Mii
Flipnote Frog (A moveset has been made. I put it in to represent DS applications, and as a surprise character.)

OmegaXXII

I see that roster but would you consider Ike gone and Lyn in? And Ridley replaced by Sylux?? What about 3rd party characters? What do you think of those?

Barbasol

Smash Ace
With the 3DS coming around, this may be a boon for Professor Layton's chances of making it in. He's really well known amongst the handheld crowd, but unknown to console gamers. I would imagine that by tapping into the 3DS market, they'd want someone that market would really take to. I'd imagine the most logical choice there would be Professor Layton. Level 5 is really putting effort into growing their brand, movies, books, manga, crossovers, they've even showed interest in Smash crossovers.

I wonder if the third parties will be console exclusive... if so;

WiiU:
Snake
3DS:
Professor Layton
Both:
Sonic, Megaman

I wonder if it may work that way...

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I see that roster but would you consider Ike gone and Lyn in? And Ridley replaced by Sylux?? What about 3rd party characters? What do you think of those?

Lyn is in. Ridley's in the wii U version, and I wanted to represent prime hunters, which was on par with mainstream metroid games in terms of popularity, and was like a spinoff. I didn't put in 3rd party characters to hypothetically cut the costs of making 2 games.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Lyn is in. Ridley's in the wii U version, and I wanted to represent prime hunters, which was on par with mainstream metroid games in terms of popularity, and was like a spinoff. I didn't put in 3rd party characters to hypothetically cut the costs of making 2 games.
I don't understand why you'd get rid of Ike and put in Lyn... He's way more important (having two games as opposed to 1/3rd), not to mention he's already in the game and is unique.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't understand why you'd get rid of Ike and put in Lyn... He's way more important (having two games as opposed to 1/3rd), not to mention he's already in the game and is unique.
Ikes never been on a handheld. He is in the wii U version.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
But hes never been on a handheld, and there fore should not be on the 3ds version.
Going by that logic Snake shouldn't have been in Brawl since he was never in a Nintendo game or Lucas shouldn't have been in Brawl because he was never in a Wii Game.

OmegaXXII

Actually Snake did appear on a Nintendo console lol.. dating back to the NES, and even had an exclusive remake on the GNC.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Going by that logic Snake shouldn't have been in Brawl since he was never in a Nintendo game or Lucas shouldn't have been in Brawl because he was never in a Wii Game.

There wasn't a handheld smash at brawl time. Brawl had to divide representation between handhelds and consoles, but the 3DS version can do only handheld, and the wii U version do only console, and represent more between them. Using "that logic" these games can have the most complete representation between them of any smash game in the past. Also, metal gear solid started on the NES.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Since this is the 3DS thread, I might as well bring this up. What will happen with the C-Stick. In Melee and Brawl, they were intended mechanics, BUT the 3DS has only one analog stick (or slider in this case) and C-Sticking would be impossible if none of the other controls changed.

Things like doing BAirs while going forward or doing FAirs while jumping away wouldn't be possible. However, I suppose having "Momentum Maintainance" and the option to turn around would make these tools still available in both versions.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Since this is the 3DS thread, I might as well bring this up. What will happen with the C-Stick. In Melee and Brawl, they were intended mechanics, BUT the 3DS has only one analog stick (or slider in this case) and C-Sticking would be impossible if none of the other controls changed.
Good point, I guess we'll have to do it the legit way. :p

Also how would taunts work?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The D-Pad is still on the 3DS so those are still possible.

And C-Sticking is legit, I just wish that the two things I suggested were put in instead as that provides more depth in terms of what you can do in a given situation. If you want I can provide an example or two.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm, some people I've met hate C-Sticking and don't think its legit. Oh well, sucks to be them. XP

Either way, it seems we'll have to do it the old fashioned way when playing this version. lol

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Him couldn't you use the one analog stick on the 3DS to cover the Cstick thing?

edit: When I first got Melee I use to C Stick all the time

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
They can't comprehend the benefits of using the c-stick other than smashes then...I don't feel like bogging down on that in this thread though.

As I think about the missing cstick function, gameplay mechanics in this verison maybe weaker than it's console counterpart.

OmegaXXII

That's definetly a good question brought up by Kuma, how would C-Stick actually compare to it's Wii-U counterpart? Not to mention if it plans to have online features, wouldn't that create a disadvantage to the players playing on the 3DS simply because of the control setup?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
We should get an online tournament mode I don't know if it would be too much but it would be cool.

OmegaXXII

Online tournament would be a nice addition as well, I'm not to sure if the 3DS would support a feature, but given the fact that the 3DS is more restricted to single player I believe it should be compensated with Online modes to make up for the lack of multiplayer action such modes could keep a 3DS Smash owner involved with online multiplayer action while at the same time keeping it as a single-player based game which I believe the main purpose of Smash 4 3DS will most likely focus on.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Woooow, that has me worried then.

Then again, it's like in Brawl. Some using a solo wiimote vs. someone with a GCC.

Your fault for choosing that set-up.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Woooow, that has me worried then.

Then again, it's like in Brawl. Some using a solo wiimote vs. someone with a GCC.

Your fault for choosing that set-up.
Thing is, Sakurai doesn't want any control setup to have an advantage or disadvantage over any of the others. Since we can use a 3DS as a controller on certain games, I think the console controls will be getting a "nerf".

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, Sakurai doesn't want any control setup to have an advantage or disadvantage over any of the others. Since we can use a 3DS as a controller on certain games, I think the console controls will be getting a "nerf".
I really hope this does not happen. While Smash isn't the most complicated game to play, having weaker and less controls would really put the appeal out of it in my opinion. For the 3DS, it is understandable; however, I think the Wii U should use a similar control scheme as Brawl.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I don't see how that's necessary, given you could use a sideways Wii Remote in Brawl....

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I think they should make an entire subforum for the wii U version and the 3DS version, each with sub-sub forums like character speculation. Anyway, without further ado, i'll post my 3ds roster. This is not a wishlist, nor a prediction. It is my attempt to make a roster that makes sense and is balanced. It is however, influenced by personal preferances, to a point.
Anything in parentheses is an explanation.
Pokemon:
Pikachu
Scizor (I believe he is the best 2nd gen rep due to immense popularity.)
Hoenn PKMN Trainer (Blaziken, Grovyle, Mudkip)
Lucario
Genesect (I may replace him with zoroark, but I like zoroark more)
(It should be noted that my Wii U version roster is Pika, Jiggly, Kanto PKMN trainer, Mewtwo, and Victini.)
Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
LoZ:
Link (with a toon and standard costume change)
Phantom Zelda/Tetra transformation (there is no regular toon zelda phase, because toon zelda never does anything in that phase but shoot light arrows)
Vaati
Tingle
Kirby:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Metroid:
Samus
Sylux
Yoshi:
Yoshi
Baby Mario Bros.
Mario & Luigi (counted as it's own spinoff):
Fawful
Wario:
WArio
Fire Emblem:
Marth
Lyn
Misc.:
Muddy Mole (I may replace him with the Prince of Sable)
G&W
Starfy
Isaac
Fox
Lucas
Ray
Pit
Jill
Mii
Flipnote Frog (A moveset has been made. I put it in to represent DS applications, and as a surprise character.)
Genesect's chances of getting into SSB4 are highly unlikely because it hasn't even been officially revealed yet by Nintendo. And you forgot to put Ike on your list, as well. Other than that, your list is good in my eyes (except for the Baby Mario Bros., but that's just my opinion). :)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
he speaks truth, why nerf wii U controls?
Because the 3DS would lack the C-Stick. As I said though, you can compensate this "nerf" with two mechanics.

1. Turn Around
Doing a semi-circle toward the direction you're facing, you'll turn around and face that direction.

2. Momentum Maintenance.
When doing something like trying to move in a certain direction while falling or holding back while jumping, you must hold that direction for a little longer than normal. This is to allow BAirs while holding on to momentum and to turn around in midair.

Both of these mechanics, while removing the C-Stick, give the player more aerials and mixup options.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
There were 4 control types for Brawl tho, and the GC controller compared to the Wiimote sideways was an advantage to begin with.
The 3DS would probably have touch screen buttons like Street Fighter.
Sakurai has to make a GC exclusive controller for SSB4, because that slide pad or w/e its called wouldn't be the same, and I would think the Wii U tablet would get uncomfortable after some, at least competitive-wise.

This topic is old, but the exclusive character idea: maybe transferable through pass codes on the option screen, not strictly Wi Fi? The Wii U might have the connectivity access that 3DS have on each other. Otherwise, what would be so bad about transferring through Wi Fi? The console wont be going anywhere too much, given you already have wireless connection.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The C-stick doesn't have any unique functionality. It's just a way to do a quick Smash attack.

The fact of the matter is, SSB's controls have not changed since the N64 (with the exception of a new B move), and the 3DS can replicate N64 functionality without a problem.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sadface. I wonder if the stylus could be a "C-stick"
I can't see that working.

@Hex
As I mentioned earlier, there are certain things that C-Stick makes possible, but you might be able to do that with it gone so long as you have the proper mechanics available to compensate.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
... chargeable smash attacks, air dodging (by extension wave dashing)... just finishing up what you started in naming gameplay not present in the original.

the c-stick is mostly used by those who are accustomed to fast gameplay, those who use it are most likely some of the strongest smashers you would be unfortunate to meet. you would need to be accustomed to it first though, i enjoy fast gameplay but my fingers don't act quick enough to utilize it because my mind records a few milliseconds slower, thus, i can never be professional at gaming even though i can kick any one of my friends' A$$es without using the c-stick.

in the end, i see no problem with the 3DS version not having a quick act move. so what if the Wii U control has that edge.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
... chargeable smash attacks, air dodging (by extension wave dashing)... just finishing up what you started in naming gameplay not present in the original.

the c-stick is mostly used by those who are accustomed to fast gameplay, those who use it are most likely some of the strongest smashers you would be unfortunate to meet. you would need to be accustomed to it first though, i enjoy fast gameplay but my fingers don't act quick enough to utilize it because my mind records a few milliseconds slower, thus, i can never be professional at gaming even though i can kick any one of my friends' A$$es without using the c-stick.

in the end, i see no problem with the 3DS version not having a quick act move. so what if the Wii U control has that edge.
Wavedashing would only be possible if the same physics engine in Melee was used (fingers crossed everyone!)

The way I saw it, and my friends agreed, the C stick was used by "noobs" too slow to smash attack normally. In the group I used to play with actually opposed using it, and some of them gave one of our friends so much crap for him using it that he practiced playing by breaking it off hahaha
It was only later, when everyone stopped playing, that I actually started using it for aerials, which gives it that unique functionality.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Genesect's chances of getting into SSB4 are highly unlikely because it hasn't even been officially revealed yet by Nintendo. And you forgot to put Ike on your list, as well. Other than that, your list is good in my eyes (except for the Baby Mario Bros., but that's just my opinion). :)

If genesect hasn't been revealed, then how does it have a page on The Pokemon Database? http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/genesect
Also, Ike is a Wii U exclusive, for reasons outlined at the top of the previous page.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If genesect hasn't been revealed, then how does it have a page on The Pokemon Database? http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/genesect
Also, Ike is a Wii U exclusive, for reasons outlined at the top of the previous page.
Everyone knows about Genesect because of hackers and the likes. You won't find Genesect on Nintendo's official site because THEY haven't reveled it

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
That isn't officially revealed lol. Genesect has not been revealed to the public by Nintendo yet, no movie, appearence in the anime, announcement, etc., and there hasn't been an event yet where you can get Genesect exclusively from the event (like there was Arceus, who wasn't officially revealed at the beginning of the 4th gen, either, and Jirachi).

Also, Ike is too popular and widely used to be exclusive to one version.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That isn't officially revealed lol. Genesect has not been revealed to the public by Nintendo yet, no movie, appearence in the anime, announcement, etc., and there hasn't been an event yet where you can get Genesect exclusively from the event (like there was Arceus, who wasn't officially revealed at the beginning of the 4th gen, either, and Jirachi).

Also, Ike is too popular and widely used to be exclusive to one version.

Ike has never appeared on a handheld though. I have an explanation on the top of the previous page.

Also, C-sticking could be replaced by the d-pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom